What's new

D'vorah General Discussion

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Ok she's really fun but has some stupid ass design choices. I feel like if they fixed her f22 and the krushing blows off it she'd be pretty decent, but she doesn't have a good mid right now.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I don't understand what this character is intended to do. Obviously she is a setup character, but what do you do with plus frames on her? I also fail to see the point of her parasite "ability". The strings are pointless unless you somehow manage to actually get one of those kb's (you won't outside of the punish string).

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I don't understand what this character is intended to do. Obviously she is a setup character, but what do you do with plus frames on her? I also fail to see the point of her parasite "ability". The strings are pointless unless you somehow manage to actually get one of those kb's (you won't outside of the punish string).
Whoever designed those krushing blows need to be fired. Also don't understand why parasite is even an ability. Whenever you don't use that ability the character just feels incomplete.

Her mid is 20 frames smh.
Instead of trying to counter a d1 of your own, db4 wokes wonders as a poke. Any poke on blk is -4 .. so if you block a poke try countering with db4

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Ok, calling out some people that want to lab because I may have found something significant.

Strepsitera seems to entirely cancel the hit stun animation the opponent is undergoing in lieu of it's own. This lead to the whacky situation of me hitting a f4 and them staying standing. If it can be comboed further from there, I haven't made it work yet. But it's late and I only found it a short time ago.

Best setup I found to make it work is (corner) f13~amp db1, 1, 4~amp df3, then stagger f1, then f4.

ShadyHeart

Ok, calling out some people that want to lab because I may have found something significant.

Strepsitera seems to entirely cancel the hit stun animation the opponent is undergoing in lieu of it's own. This lead to the whacky situation of me hitting a f4 and them staying standing. If it can be comboed further from there, I haven't made it work yet. But it's late and I only found it a short time ago.

Best setup I found to make it work is (corner) f13~amp db1, 1, 4~amp df3, then stagger f1, then f4.
What you're referring to is a universal thing that also applied to mkx. Some moves (such as F4) can only ever be a combo ending knockdown in normal circumstances so having something hit after them makes it act weird. Sweeps in mkx didn't ever let you combo after them no matter what (you could block anything that hit while you were falling), but mk11 actually allows combos from sweep this time around.

Second Saint

@
What you're referring to is a universal thing that also applied to mkx. Some moves (such as F4) can only ever be a combo ending knockdown in normal circumstances so having something hit after them makes it act weird. Sweeps in mkx didn't ever let you combo after them no matter what (you could block anything that hit while you were falling), but mk11 actually allows combos from sweep this time around.
I've also made it work after 121. If one of these moves doesn't have auto block on it, there may be room for some dirty stuff.

And the more I work on D'vorah's corner game, the more I think keeping people standing isn't the best idea. There's just too little reward, whereas on knock down there's a chance to launch if you read the right wakeup option. So it may not be of much use without finding something without auto block.

Second Saint

Not sure if anyone else already knows about this already, but I've opened up D'vorah's throw damage potential somewhat.

If you time amplified strepsitera so that the bugs hit before the second hit of the throw, you can link a ji3 in the corner, ji1 midscreen. This gives you an actual launch into around 22% damage in the corner or another setup/restand for slightly less.

Combo I've been using to get the timing of the bug about right is basically [launcher] d1, 4~amp df3. Then throw, ji3, d1, 4~ender in the corner.

Second Saint

Anybody using the teleport variation?
I've tried and don't think it's worth it. Widow's Kiss is a 2 slot ability that's objectively worse than Scorpion's base teleport because it's ridiculously slow. 34f startup means there is basically no projectile you can teleport on reaction and it can't be used to end combos, which would give us setups off of it, making it worth something.

And deadly swarm is just...pointless. Attached to only firefly, while not actually improving firefly at all, and essentially amounting to an extra 1.5% on a projectile that isn't anything to write home about. I was excited when I first read about this ability, because I thought it had hit and block stun. As is, it's minorly useful sometime, instead of an actual pressure tool.

I've tried and don't think it's worth it. Widow's Kiss is a 2 slot ability that's objectively worse than Scorpion's base teleport because it's ridiculously slow. 34f startup means there is basically no projectile you can teleport on reaction and it can't be used to end combos, which would give us setups off of it, making it worth something.

And deadly swarm is just...pointless. Attached to only firefly, while not actually improving firefly at all, and essentially amounting to an extra 1.5% on a projectile that isn't anything to write home about. I was excited when I first read about this ability, because I thought it had hit and block stun. As is, it's minorly useful sometime, instead of an actual pressure tool.
MB Swarm will put all wasp on enemy... potentially leading to loads of damage if you time deadly swarm correctly

Second Saint

I use the teleport variation with strepbug... leads to decent damage and setups. Ff2 combos into widows kiss along with standing 4.
It doesn't combo for more than puddle and is just as unsafe, though.

MB swarm the restand move puts all wasps on enemy? I hate when things aren't written in the move lists. That's pretty good. I could work with that.

I'll put some time into it, see how I like it.

MuMuGuy

Noob
Anybody using the teleport variation?
I mainly use Arachnophobia. I like using EX Swarm to stack five wasps on the opponent and then using Super Swarm or whatever it's called to cash it in for a clean 150 unavoidable damage upon knockdown. Normal Widow's Kiss is a decent punish tool for projectile users, though it can be risky since it has a lot of start-up. EX Widow's Kiss can lead to nice set-ups with the puddle against a cornered opponent.

Buzzed is generally better, but Arachnophobia isn't complete garbage like some second Variations other characters have (e.g. Show Stopper Johnny and Dirtbag Kano).

ShadyHeart

I don't understand when people say she has some zoning potential. Reo mentioned zoning with her against non-projectile chars, but Jacqui and geras are the only characters in the entire game without a projectile in their base moveset (scorpion spear is debatable but he has teleport anyways). Geras has sand trap plus the better version of it. I think Jacqui has a projectile custom. She loses the zoning war against literally every character that isn't Jacqui without her projectile.

ShadyHeart

I noticed something somewhat interesting in practice while seeing what super swarm does. It seems to slightly alter something other than dealing damage (hitbox?). I recorded a short sub-zero combo that started with B2 into standing 1 and super swarm was making his standing 1 whiff without crouching the B2. This only works if sub does the standing 1 a bit slow, but it shows super swarm can somehow make moves whiff.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Wow i really didnt know you could Mb swarm... nor did i know she could stack 5 bugs on a person at once. Thanks for that!