What's new

General/Other - D'Vorah D'Vorah General Discussion Thread

ZinGy

Noob
Only had the game for a few hours, so excuse moi if this is a stupid question, but how variation dependant is D'Vorah?
Yes. I would say as of right now her best variation is deff Swarm Queen. F22 is a safe block string option and on hit leads to a 38-40% combo with 1 meter. That and you can poke with neutral 2 and lead into a 30-31% meterless combo off of it.

The F22 string pressure option is huge for Dvorah in swarm queen, afaik the other variations do not have a good option for her with that and leading into a big combo.

Error Macro

It April yet?
Yes. I would say as of right now her best variation is deff Swarm Queen. F22 is a safe block string option and on hit leads to a 38-40% combo with 1 meter. That and you can poke with neutral 2 and lead into a 30-31% meterless combo off of it.

The F22 string pressure option is huge for Dvorah in swarm queen, afaik the other variations do not have a good option for her with that and leading into a big combo.
What does she have in swarm queen that she doesn't have in other variations? She can bug cancel in other variations and in brood mother she has the crawler which makes for a good high/low setup.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
Never played MK 9, but I'm jumping ino MK X and picking up D'Vorah; she's prety awesome so far... quick question: does this character have any wake up options with armor/invincibility?

Venomous variation adds .30 x 5 per attack that she hits with her stinger limb. Moves and combos so far that add posion:

d2 (uppercut) (poison amount = .30 x5)
d4 (poison amount = .30 x5)
d3 (poison amount = .30 x5)
b21 (poison amount = .30 x5)
f2 (poison amount = .30 x5)
f22 (poison amount = .80 x5)
f34+1+3 (poison amount = .30 x5)
j2 (poison amount = .50 x5)
j1 (poison amount = .50 x5)
Poison Ovipositor Charge (poison amount = .30 x5)
Enhance Poison Ovipositor Charge (poison amount = .30 x5)

The weirdest property I found so far as mentioned above, is that b21 does not stack that poison with Poison Ovipositor Charge. It still stays .30x5

Random: The highest amount I was able to stack (just spamming moves) was 14.30%
f2 actually adds 0.3%
and the followup also adds 0.3%

Following the first bit of info I found out from earlier, that's how you get the 0.8%.

0.3 + (0.3 + 0.1)

I think it is actually some kind of multiplication based on the amount of poison you currently have buuilt up, though.

Three Treasures

Black Hole
I've gotten a 23% poison tick spamming d+3.

It's hard to really tell if the poison is really worth using venomous. the projectiles, run cancels and bigger combo damage for the other 2 variances just seem too good to pass up. It would of been nice if she had some venomous only strings that stacked poison higher than her standard strings, db+4 should also either do much more poison than it does on hit or poison on block or something, seems very lackluster. A lot of wasted potential, though too early to really tell.

HarmTheHomeless

How2GetAnSTD
What does she have in swarm queen that she doesn't have in other variations? She can bug cancel in other variations and in brood mother she has the crawler which makes for a good high/low setup.

In swarm queen not only does her 1 meter cause over 10% more damage than her other variations you also get a low combo starter and overhead with dash canceling her projectile.

I couldn't find any decent Brood Mother Krawler setups in the lab, really. It has 2 massive problems,. first is the startup time, second is the speed. If it moved slower it would be more useful.

D'Vorah mains might eventually explore it and figure some stuff out though.

It's sad though, I find Swarm Queen her most boring variation so I don't really have any motivation to play her.

macro

Eezeepeezee
If there's any D'vorahs' out there looking for some matches hit me up at: Macdaddymacro (especially if you looking for some good Quan matches.)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This bitch is broke....And I love it. Ended up playing her in a random select match and she instantly clicked. Excited to see what becomes of this character.

Ok I've figured some stuff out for venomous:
all ovi moves do 0.3% poison except njp (0.5%) and the second hit of f22 (0.4%)
however the damage appears to be calculated as a whole instead of as the individual poison damages hits, i.e when you hit with d3 for 5 hits of 0.3% it's calculated as 1.5% and then divided between the remaining hits. This is why the damage increases towards the end of the 5 hits.
The damage stacks as such
hit 1 ~1.5%
hit 2 ~3.5%
hit 3 ~6%
hit 4 ~9%
hit 5 ~12.5%

(the increase is 2% then 2.5% then 3% and so on)

All this damage must be stacked during the 5 seconds between your first ovi attack and the last poison damage. Because damage is divided between the remaining hits it will appear to do more damage the longer you leave it, but it does the same total damage.

e.g.
for two d3 hits the damage may come out as:
0.3%, 0.3%, 0.3%, 0.3%, 2.3% or 0.7%, 0.7% 0.7% 0.7% 0.7% depending on when you make the second hit but both will do a total of 3.5% damage.

it works the same for the njp and the second f22 hit

njp:
hit 1 ~2.5%
hit 2 ~5.5%
hit 3 ~9%
hit 4 ~13%
hit 5 ~17.5%

f22:
hit 1 ~2%
hit 2 ~4.5%
hit 3 ~7.5%
hit 4 ~11%
hit 5 ~15%

if you hit with a mix of f22, njp and other hits I am not sure how the damage is calculated but may update in future

it looks like the most damaging way to stack poison is with an njp into f22xxdb4 or f22xxdf1 reset into d4 or f22db4

Last edited:
BROOD MOTHER SETUP

Her b2,1 xx df3 sets up the opponent up for a hard to block mixup or a baited wakeup. I use after a connected f1,1 or f1,1 df3

F1,1 hit confirmed into ex db,1 grants a crazy mixup, causing the opponent to have to block low... but you can immediately f3,4 for a full combo or mixup with b1, 2 air throw. the ex db 1 connecting leads to huge combos. What I like about brood mother is her meter conservation.. great damage combos and resets without need for meter

f1,1 df3 natural combo, mixup follow up with f2,2 df 1 or f3,4 into combo, or dash into grab, or jip to keep pressure. the low bug hit seems to cause a tick where the opponent immediately blocks low when it connects. once they are conditioned to naturally block standing, poke with d3 and d4 and follow up pressure with f1,1

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Has anyone done any experimenting with Bug Burst in the corner killing wake ups? VENOMOUS of coarse.

Just spent a couple hours and only did a couple characters but this seems to work well off F224 string and B12

After you knock them down, if you read wake up just do Bug Burst and hold it down. That shit eats armor like crazy. And then you have him in a restand situation to do what ever you like next. I've only tested verses D'Vorah, Kung Jin, Jax, Sub Zero. (All Variations)

Subzeros slide was the only one I could not 100% kill every time, I had to be spaced back a little bit. Seems like a very strong option vs wake up happy people in the corner.

Oh, doesn't work great on xrays, lol I was able to kill SubZeros Xray, but only like 50% of the time, seems to have 3 hits of armor I think, the other ones were just too fast.

I find Venomous to be a really cool variation, and I'm thinkin bout playing D'Vorah as a second. The poison stacks can really add up in a fast paced match.

Edit:
Just checked Lao, beats everything exept his ex spin in Tempest variation, and his Xray. Beats EX spin in the other 2 variations.

Last edited:

Ippolit

Noob
@Jimmypotato Nice find. Tried it on Cassie Cage and it blows up her wakeup Mb Glowkick and Mb Getaway Flip that I've had some trouble dealing with. Her Mb Nut Cracker or X-ray though not so much.
Edit: It seems to lose universaly to wakeup throw though so use with caution.

Not sure how viable this will be in the long run due to meter cost and all but me and a friend found some pressure/mixup/reversal-bait for Venomous/Brood Mother
If your opponent is consistently not tech rolling after Ovipositor charge knockdown you can do a meaty Mb Spawning Pool xx run and block to bait reversals, if you see none and they block low you can mix them up high/low and still be safe if they did tech roll.

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
@Jimmypotato Nice find. Tried it on Cassie Cage and it blows up her wakeup Mb Glowkick and Mb Getaway Flip that I've had some trouble dealing with. Her Mb Nut Cracker or X-ray though not so much.
Edit: It seems to lose universaly to wakeup throw though so use with caution.

Not sure how viable this will be in the long run due to meter cost and all but me and a friend found some pressure/mixup/reversal-bait for Venomous/Brood Mother
If your opponent is consistently not tech rolling after Ovipositor charge knockdown you can do a meaty Mb Spawning Pool xx run and block to bait reversals, if you see none and they block low you can mix them up high/low and still be safe if they did tech roll.
I wasn't having any problems blowing up throws, and I wasn't even using the EX move, it all depends on spacing, i haven't tested cassie yet though, obviously a situational thing anyways, but it does work good, I tried it online,

Ippolit

Noob
@Jimmypotato My bad, of course you can space it, sorry. -_-'
Setup kind of works midscreen too after a b13 knockdown unless they backdash, but I have yet to find a way to use that as a combo ender, probably possible after a run cancel. In any case it beats Cassies Mb Glowkick, Mb Nutcracker and X-Ray even but here the Mb Getaway Flip gets away with only one hit. They can also delay wakeup to take a bit less chip.

Lol. Yeah if there is a criteria that would definitely be it.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I was messing around with her today and have some questions.

1. All of her safe specials have terrible startup. And all of her fast specials are not safe. So is there any way of making some of her blocked strings safe? When should you use the bug throws (df1) they seem kind of slow to use in projectile fights. The start up is so long I haven't found a time when they would be useful to use. Any ideas?

2. I was looking for throw setups and noticed that some of her launching strings that have 0 frames of cancel advatage allow you to throw at the end. For example, 1,1, b2 and f3,4 and even just f3. If you MB the throw you get a standing reset. Does she have useful 50/50 she could start off of this setup? If so in what variation.

3. Is the frame data wrong for d3 and d4? When I cancel d3 or d4 into ovipositor charge (db4) there is a gap in the between in which they can block after the d3 or d4 and then punish the blocked ovipositor charge.

4. How are you guys scoring hard knockdowns. I only found 2 strings that lead into one, 1,1,3 and b1,4.

5. What are you using for anti airs other than d2? F4,2 and F4,4 seem like nice options to deal a little more damage but I was wondering if you guys were having any success using them (I have only played the AI and only for a limited time).

BlakeMD

Noob
Anyone has any matches to share? Or know of good matches showing D'Vorah (as good as "day 1" gets that is obivously)
I'd like to see someone with something behind their skull bone actually play her to get some hints and tips since I'm fresh to MKX.
Here ya go mate. There are a few more matches featuring her in that tourney as well. Hope this helps :)

Vortrex

Noob
Not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question but how is everyone dealing with projectiles (I think the proper term is zoners?)?

I had a Jax chew me up with his Heavy Weapons Variation by using the rocket and semi auto gun to keep me back. Similar things have occurred with Kenshi and Sub-Zero.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard the swarm vortex might be our go to for that?

KNX

Noob
I just want to confirm with anyone that might have better execution than me.

Does the game not allow you to loop bug cancels?

Basically I'm doing this string at mid-range, to close the gap and start pressure:

d+4 xx Bug cancel, f+1,1/f+2,2 xx Bug cancel

Once I do f+1,1 or f+2,2 and go for the second Bug cancel, I just can't run despite my stamina being about half-way.

Drunken Llama

Some Random
So 212 ends in an overhead. 21 is neutral on block. B1 is 7 frames and low.

Maybe this has been obvious to everybody but me, but if your 212 is getting blocked 21 to a B1 seems like a good pressure option. If you can get them thinking about the low you can set them up for the launcher.

In Venomous you get bug burst off of a B1. Swarm Queen doesn't have any really safe options that I can see from a B1, but most are better than the -16 that 212 is on block. I haven't messed around with Brood Mother so I don't know about that one.

Hopefully this is useful to somebody. I'm just trying to find mixup options for those of us that can't do the F22 run cancels.