What's new

Doom 4

Steven_a

Light Bringer
What seperates arena shooters from something like CoD. Is halo an arena shooter?
Arena shooters are really fast paced games. There is a lot of vertical movement such as jumping from platforms to platforms. You have to keep moving or you'll die. Camping in CoD might earn you kills but in an arena shooter, you'll get massacred. Also you have a health bar so you can't just hide and wait for you health to regenerate like you can in CoD. You need to find a health pack or you're dead. You're not limited to two weapons in arena shooters whereas in CoD you are.

But the biggest thing imo is that there tends to be no leveling system for arena shooters unlike CoD where you can keep playing until you're prestige 10, have the best guns and mop everyone. When you enter an arena game, everyone is fair game. The one with the best skills wins. That's why arena shooters tend to have a high learning curve. For halo, imo they're not arena shooters. The only one that I could consider as an arena shooter is Halo 1 and that's because it had a lot of funky shit in it lol.

Looks like this will be the alternate box art that was selected by the Doom community:

It also seems that a season pass has been announced at $40. It will feature 3 "Premium multiplayer packs" (which can be purchased separately for $14.99) with the first one releasing during the summer that will feature 3 new maps and a new weapon and more.

Source via Destructiod: http://www.destructoid.com/doom-s-post-launch-dlc-detailed-includes-40-season-pass-353568.phtml
That box art is a million times better, holy shit

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Looks like this will be the alternate box art that was selected by the Doom community:

It also seems that a season pass has been announced at $40. It will feature 3 "Premium multiplayer packs" (which can be purchased separately for $14.99) with the first one releasing during the summer that will feature 3 new maps and a new weapon and more.

Source via Destructiod: http://www.destructoid.com/doom-s-post-launch-dlc-detailed-includes-40-season-pass-353568.phtml
There will be a season pass and thats it, confirmed no microtransactions

Oh cool, Halo 6...wait wut
Halo bit off of Doom lol

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Halo wouldn't exist if it was not for DOOM.

Anyways, a LOT of people are pissed about the DLC.l and planning to boycott it. For me, as a fan since DOOM II originally came out, I don't care. I'm getting this for the single player campaign only.

This looks like the DOOM I grew up playing, not that bland & dark as fuck (literally) DOOM3.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Is there any word on whether your level/unlocks in the beta will be reset for the next open beta?
Probably(?) but it would be silly if they did though.

---

Also do you guys wanna get a group together for the next beta? Would help out some of us.

Beta was amazing. Very fast paced and every frag felt rewarding. Absolutely addicted to tele-nade/shotgun shenanigans.

Pretty psyched for the full release. I played the closed beta on XONE since that's what my Wolfenstein pre-order was for, but might get it on the PS4.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
It would be fun to have a big death match or warzone game going when it's released with everyone here.

haketh

Noob
Really wish the game didn't have the COD style two weapon limit, other than that it's fun. Thing that's gonna make or break the game though is map creator, the best part about DOOM is the very active Mod community. The Map creator being an in game thing is worrying because that doesn't give as much freedom as a full blown editor.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
The game is ehhh. It's okay. It's an alright shooter. The lack of John Carmack and John Romero really shows here. It looks and sounds like a Doom game (except for the terrible Johnny 5 announcer) but it doesn't feel like a Doom game. It feels more like a knockoff of Halo 4. Here's a few suggestions that would make this game really good.

1. Increase movement speed by like two or three times

2. Get rid of 2 gun limit. Have unlimited amount of gun pickups.

3. Get rid of the loadout system. Loadouts do not make sense in this type of game. Make everyone spawn with a pistol or light submachine gun.

4. Get rid of item progression. Make unlocks solely cosmetic.

5. Scatter more weapons out throughout the map. Make the game about map and item control, like the old doom games were.

If id wanted to bring back Doom after such a long time, what is the point of making it homogenized like every other goddamn boring modern day shooter?

I'm hoping the campaign is good. It is already looking better than Doom 3, which I guess counts for something.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
This is my first multiplayer FPS experience and I must say I enjoyed myself. It won't be my go to game but hey it's fun!

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
The game is ehhh. It's okay. It's an alright shooter. The lack of John Carmack and John Romero really shows here. It looks and sounds like a Doom game (except for the terrible Johnny 5 announcer) but it doesn't feel like a Doom game. It feels more like a knockoff of Halo 4.
Ah bummer ive been chatting with a few ppl who have played the closed beta etc and this is what ive been hearing often.

How has the open beta been for everyone so far though? You guys enjoying it?

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Ah bummer ive been chatting with a few ppl who have played the closed beta etc and this is what ive been hearing often.

How has the open beta been for everyone so far though? You guys enjoying it?
I am. Nothing innovative but its a change from the usual

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I don't really even know where to begin with my impressions, I'll just start with an overall statement, this game is gonna be great.

While I don't approve of a two gun limit, having a starter weapon that is not a pea shooter is fantastic. You can finally start fighting without getting
fucking annihilated as soon as you breathe air.

I love that the meta is now revolved around controlling demon spawns, power weapons, and powerups. You can still control the map very well
much like the older games. Usually, the Demon Spawn is synced up with quad damage/Gauss cannon in the beta, meaning if one team gets the demon, the other team should be smart enough to get the power weapon. If your team is hella good, you can control both and decimate your opponent.

I also love the customization factors.

I also cannot stand these fucking hipsters that say "its not doom."
The original DOOM, you could not jump, you could not look up and the weapons were all insanely powerful.
Playing modded DOOM games like skulltag, zdoom, are just modified to have elements of Quake 3 anyway.

Please stop saying this game is like halo. Does anyone even realize that DOOM came out first?

The game is fast paced too. Just because its not a bhop frantic fest, doesn't make it slow. This game has FPS footsies, its rewarding to get kills.

I hope to see more weapons, bigger maps, bigger varieties in the full multiplayer. I especially hope for DOOM powerups, such as berserk and partial invisibility to make a return. I also hope they fix matchmaking as on average the game is extremely laggy, with most if not all players on a yellow bar connection.

Needless to say, I'm excited for May 13th, I plan to wipe the floor with scrubs and do the Carlton at the same exact time.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The only issue is the 2 weapon limit and team gamemodes which do not constitute an "arena shooter".
However snapmap will have ffa modes, but I'm pretty convinced 2 weapon loadouts can't be removed from MP at all.