What's new

Does anyone else feel like MK11 was designed for casuals?

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
No offense, but I think you missed my point. The NFL makes rules and regulations for the players, markets the players, provides for the players a game and setting, and they are a very profitable industry. Video games have that potential. I dont know what me living forever has to do with anything or how a competitive environment is unsustainable?

Idk, maybe youre just speaking out of your ass. Thats what a lot of these posts of yours look like.

I appreciate the large amount of people that buy this game, it ensures more games and sometimes better games. Although, I think its worth pointing out, Mortal Kombat is the most popular fighting game. The most popular of something is rarely the best. McDonalds, WWE, Coke, Nickelback, they all are simply well advertised and easily available. I personally would not give a fuck if the new NRS title sold worse, took a graphical step sideways or back, alienated new or bad fighting game players, never got a sequel, but had the cult following of Smash Melee and was a great game. That to me, is 100% MORE acceptable than trying to appeal to people that will NEVER even learn what jails off of their characters d1. Just mash mash mash.
Are you Tom Brady? why you talking about football so much? Idk Im SURE Im talking out my ass tbh. Game isnt even a month old and we are talking about its appeal to tornament playerz, and honestly theres no telling how much this game will change in just ONE YEAR...

Ive tried explaining why MK is going to become more casual no matter what, but you dont want go hear it, so I dont really want to argue...I hope NRS listens to you tho I feel like I have what I needvto enjoy the game for quite some time tbh...sorry if I go online to talk shit btw...but dont worry Im the only one on the planet who does that :)

ALSO mkx had a d1 psuedo combo. you could literally d1 until opponent had to change their strategy, but mkx is a good game imo...i was just busy with bloodborne and mhw so sorry Im late to the party

Last edited:

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Are you Tom Brady? why you talking about football so much? Idk Im SURE Im talking out my ass tbh. Game isnt even a month old and we are talking about its appeal to tornament playerz, and honestly theres no telling how much this game will change in just ONE YEAR...

Ive tried explaining why MK is going to become more casual no matter what, but you dont want go hear it, so I dont really want to argue...I hope NRS listens to you tho I feel like I have what I needvto enjoy the game for quite some time tbh...sorry if I go online to talk shit btw...but dont worry Im the only one on the planet who does that :)
Welcome to my list of people to ignore. What mouth diarrhea thou hath spewed? You have joined a competitive forum. We care about tournaments here. The ones that dont, joined the wrong forum.

It may be inevitable that a top selling game like this becomes more casual, but too will it be inevitable that the big stage of EVO will be lost, as well as other very advertiser and marketing friendly opportunities. As well as, an admittedly small, player base. Maybe thats a loss they are willing to take, but in my eyes, theres no reason they cant have the cake and eat it too.

Barbie doll dress up and an Avengers style “story barely resembles mortal kombat outside of known characters and settings” story mode will attract casuals, deep and cared for mechanics and balance will sustain the competitive crowd.

This game isnt made for casuals, casuals still arent Flawless Blocking Lius f4 string and complaining that hes top tier. Casuals will not be able to wavedash. Casuals do not apply oki nor make reads on knockdown, needed with how wakeups were handled this iteration(thank god), and casuals will not play this game after Borderlands 3 or what the fuck ever is the next craze.

So, what was the point again?

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Welcome to my list of people to ignore. What mouth diarrhea thou hath spewed? You have joined a competitive forum. We care about tournaments here. The ones that dont, joined the wrong forum.

It may be inevitable that a top selling game like this becomes more casual, but too will it be inevitable that the big stage of EVO will be lost, as well as other very advertiser and marketing friendly opportunities. As well as, an admittedly small, player base. Maybe thats a loss they are willing to take, but in my eyes, theres no reason they cant have the cake and eat it too.

Barbie doll dress up and an Avengers style “story barely resembles mortal kombat outside of known characters and settings” story mode will attract casuals, deep and cared for mechanics and balance will sustain the competitive crowd.

This game isnt made for casuals, casuals still arent Flawless Blocking Lius f4 string and complaining that hes top tier. Casuals will not be able to wavedash. Casuals do not apply oki nor make reads on knockdown, needed with how wakeups were handled this iteration(thank god), and casuals will not play this game after Borderlands 3 or what the fuck ever is the next craze.

Is it wrong that I come here for the salty rants? What happened to you professor oak? you used to like rpgs :)

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
MKX was way scrubbier. Run obliterated footsies, all you had to to was run into grab or overhead or low to open up your opponent. I do get hit by a lot of scrubby D1 into throws, but its a very one dimensional gameplan that is easy to reverse, duck! IMO MK11 has the best gameplay of any NRS title, MKX was too rushdown oriented, and MK9 was straight up broken (but fun). Sure, the game isn’t perfectly balanced, but what game is on release?

When I get beat by scrub tactics, I don’t complain about the game, I find a way around it, because there is always a way around it (usually)
i cringe every time i see someone say this because this is a thing only us low-mid level players had happen to us. you don't watch a top 8 and see people just run from damn near full screen into grab or overhead and their opponent not be able to react to it

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up

I get your intent with this post but to be totally blunt you're missing the entire definition of a Casual. A lot of people on this forum do all the mechanical things you're talking about. A lot of people on this forum are pretty good at this game. Those same people are "Casuals" simply because they dont get out and go to locals and majors and will never go to EVO. What separates a competitive player and a Casual is the drive and ability to get out there, and perform/compete. I could know every lick of frame data in this game and I could have an online w/l ratio that's utterly flawless and be able to drill your face into the ground with Kotal Kahn or any other character and optimize every aspect of the mechanics in this game and break new ground every week with new tech for my character of choice,

but I would still be a casual because I'll never go to Evo. Or I wont be going to the official MK tournaments.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?

So,
I get your intent with this post but to be totally blunt you're missing the entire definition of a Casual. A lot of people on this forum do all the mechanical things you're talking about. A lot of people on this forum are pretty good at this game. Those same people are "Casuals" simply because they dont get out and go to locals and majors and will never go to EVO. What separates a competitive player and a Casual is the drive and ability to get out there, and perform/compete. I could know every lick of frame data in this game and I could have an online w/l ratio that's utterly flawless and be able to drill your face into the ground with Kotal Kahn or any other character and optimize every aspect of the mechanics in this game and break new ground every week with new tech for my character of choice,

but I would still be a casual because I'll never go to Evo. Or I wont be going to the official MK tournaments.
Ill go to EVO, But I hear Smash players smell horrific...might need my Kabal mask for that lol....

I will alwayz be pretty kasual tbh...but Im trying to ride a motorcycle right now, so I come to TYM so I can save time "getting good" sorry if that upsets anyone...I think Ill play mk11 and mkX for a long time tho...as long as I kan!

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?

Nice echoing of what I posted one or two replies before that one. Who are you?

I'm the kind of casual player that likes to go against normal CPU and pull long strings of combo, and MK11 is forcing a much more technical level of play out of me than X thanks to the focus being shifted from the rushdown spectacle to a more slow paced match.

Honestly, MK11 is doing a much better job at pulling me back to the fundamentals (in which I usually suck) than MKX, and thanks to that I'm much closer to actually playing a fighting game the way it's played competitively.

So I don't get you, op lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I agree with this point except for one point -- casuals are the only people who kept playing MK9, and are still playing Injustice 2 or MKX right now, long after their tournament expiration. They just play the games because they like them.

Other than that, everything else is true :)

omooba

fear the moobs
Wtf does "Made to last" even mean? :oops:
meaning i don't think the game was made to be played for more than our usual 2 year cycle. i have this opinion because of how watered down the mechanics are. don't get me wrong i don't think this is a bad thing especially for the competitive scene.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
A casual player is someone who doesn't play for being competitive. They can play the same game for years and get good at it, but if they aren't interested in going competitive with it, then they don't have to. They can still enjoy the game and play it all they like without having to care about being the best player.

The word "casual" is being used a lot as a bad word, but when you break down what it actually means to be a casual player, there's absolutely nothing bad about it. It just means you enjoy playing a game without feeling the need to compete at a scene.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
meaning i don't think the game was made to be played for more than our usual 2 year cycle. i have this opinion because of how watered down the mechanics are. don't get me wrong i don't think this is a bad thing especially for the competitive scene.
Watered down? You mean that you have to play a spacing game instead of getting in for free with a run button of half-screen plus on block footsie normal that you can cancel into launching armor?

That you need timing to flawless block instead of just mashing armor in gaps?

If anything this is a case for the game's longevity, not against.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
The reverse-skrubs are gonna tell you that this game is gdlk now because plus on block overhead or low mix is gone. That’s the bar they’ve set for what makes a good game. Theyre gonna ignore everything else like Fatal blows, crushing blows, babyfied meter system, wakeup system, and combo system. The ABC strings, the classic nrs neutral game of jumpsies, (its not footsies based neutral btw) the mash meta, the barebones variations and characters you can master with 5 mins in training mode... Its too early to pose the question now on tym because people are still enjoying the new car smell but saying the game is made for casuals is using the wrong term anyway. Either way it’s the best out of the box nrs game, so theyre heading in the right direction at least.

Last edited:

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
The skrubs are gonna tell you that this game is gdlk now because plus on block overhead or low mix is gone. That’s the bar they’ve set for what makes a good game. Theyre gonna ignore everything else like Fatal blows, crushing blows, babyfied meter system, wakeup system, and combo system. The ABC strings, the classic nrs neutral game of jumpsies (its not footsies btw) and characters you can master in 5 mins with training mode... Its too early to pose the question now because people are still enjoying the new car smell but saying the game is made for casuals is using the wrong term anyway. Either way it’s the better out of the box nrs game, so theyre heading in the right direction.
1 more reason to keep playing mkx...I miss leatherface now...never getting that back.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Bro obviously the pros are going to do the things in this game that are super high level.
My point is that I feel they made it toooooo accessible.
You just admitted you can’t even use the mechanics as they exist but are arguing it’s too casual. It doesn’t add up, you can’t have it both ways. You can’t judge the game’s meta/potential/depth through the perspective of someone who is not going to utilize the mechanics presented to their potential.

I have a feeling that like many, you have invested time in this game and others, have learned many combos and conversions, watch high level play and consider yourself a part of the FGC.....and yet sometimes you’re still beaten by things you consider cheap or by people employing very very simple tactics that you might even understand but can’t counter. Maybe not, but I see this all the time; players being “good” but losing to bad shit, and faulting the game.

You quoted that post by that guy going into the mkx meta and how complicated it was to conserve resources in order to have meter for armoring through gaps, and rely on meterless damage so that it was an option, etc. He also goes into great detail about how intimate matchup and character knowledge was integral and required a ton of investment.

MK11 is the exact same but with more layers. There’s more gaps in strings, the flawless block mechanic is 100% mandatory for competitive play. Like if you let my skarlet f43 without showing me you will flawless block and punish, you’re getting bullied. You have to constantly manage both your own meter and the opponents. “I read throw ...d2....do I use the KB? They have meter to fall out....nah....neutral duck stand punish”. If you read fallout, you d2 and recover in time and now they’ve used their resources and aren’t at advantage and are helpless next touch and can’t wakeup. I’m not totally sure about whether the current breaker system is a better system or not at this point, but I do know that there’s depth there and counterplay, and that’s always good on some level.

I could go on and on. You can try to argue that mkx has this super high execution barrier, but it’s just not the case, and again, that’s clearly not where the difficulty lies in many fighting games, this one included. Yes, there were some tight links but in so many cases the optimal that required more execution eeked out 3-5% or something beyond very simple combos. I mean, do noobs 113xxdu amp, dash cancel 113,b11+3xx du and land all hits of the second 113 and get the link into b11+3 and do it ten times in a row. It’s not easy. There’s some execution in this game, but perhaps less so in combos but much more in terms of active defense and flawless block.

So many people that play MK in general learn elaborate combos to beat up the AI. I’ll say it again....a lot more people know how to do combos than know how to properly space moves, understand frame data, exploit gaps, utilize frame traps and setups, tech grabs, jump/duck tick throws and lab options against characters tools.

MK11 at high level looks incredible and is so much less reliant on vortexes, 50/50s and jump ins. Don’t get me wrong MK11 has some elements I don’t like, it’s not perfect, and there’s definitely things that feel off (poking/counterpoking, mashing being effective due to a ton of high starters, etc.)

I’m not trying to flame you, be a dick, I just really disagree and think you’re wrong. Nothing personal. Everyone has preferences, you’re entitled to like what you like, but by framing it that it’s somehow a lesser game or more shallow than mkx seems off base and sort of seems like you’re basing that off of you’re own inability to employ the highest level mechanics.

I’m not just stanning, I could rant about things that seem off about the game or that I’m not personally in love with, but compared with mkx, MK11 seems to be a better distillation of what makes fighting games skill based and a true head to head match of wits and dexterity and ultimately so frustrating and satisfying simultaneously.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I have a feeling that like many, you have invested time in this game and others, have learned many combos and conversions, watch high level play and consider yourself a part of the FGC.....and yet sometimes you’re still beaten by things you consider cheap or by people employing very very simple tactics that you might even understand but can’t counter. Maybe not, but I see this all the time; players being “good” but losing to bad shit, and faulting the game.
That's the story of this game in a nutshell. Fundamentals are king -- it's hard to BS your way around them.