What's new

Do you think ultra street fighter is a good idea

But like m2dave I definitely prefer the Capcom approach when it comes to balancing:

Only fix bugs and only "normalize" what needs normalizing but NO serious nerfs/buffs for a whole year. Only one annual 15$ update/40$ disc (for TOs).

It's really the best way to go about it. It keeps the game fresh and interesting because it changes every year/season instead of every 2 weeks.

BigC

I'm great in my world.
Of course I think it's a good idea. I plan on getting it because I need a new fighting game to accompany IGAU and I don't have much options.

Not going back to MK cause i'm done with it.
I have epilepsy so LOLNOPE MAHVEL.
Not buying a Microsoft NSA One so no KI.
Don't feel like playing bushido blade.
I live in the US so my KOF success is like 0.01%.

So yeah, I'm looking to get back into Street Fighter.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I too prefer the yearly updates, but I understand why NRS won't do it. Having a new disk based update every year hurts the brand overall, only a few games can get away with, like CoD, and Assassins Creed. MK does not have that kinda sway with the casual audience who only play it for shits and giggles with their friends.

Having alternate games coming out every two years and selling several million copies each, plus butt loads of DLC sales, it's hard to pass up.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
We can't really call Capcom money hungry with what they're offering us in USSF4. $15 for 5 new characters, some new stages I believe, and a new patch. And they don't do this every year. They let their game play out a bit before they decide what they need to patch.

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Do we think its a good idea?

I think that the state of the MK community answers that perfectly. NRS forgot about us when they released Freddy, that's why we're burying the game today. Or yesterday idk...

Meanwhile SF4 is still going after all these years. And the revisions have a great part in that.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I'm pretty excited for the balance changes. The example changes look pretty good so far (they're temping me to pick Chun-li back up with those buffs, giving Ken what the players want, they're trying to make Ibuki less of a 1-player game vortex character but still solid, etc), and they're trying to fix unblockables which will be a huge blow to the game's detractors.

I'm also really happy to see 5 new characters Given how different SFIV characters played in SFxT (being the tremendously different games that they are), I honestly can't say that I care that they reused assets from SFxT for 4/5 of them. They'll still affect the meta of SFIV in ways we can't even fathom because we don't know how they'll play.

There's also a promise of more modes/features - Ono's said in the past that he'd really like to integrate Online Training mode into the game, I think that's pretty much a lock. I look forward to seeing what else they have in store (a rematch button in one v. one player matches would be so nice).

It'll have been well over two years since the last paid update to SFIV (the original AE dlc) by the time Ultra is released, so it's not like they're rapidly sucking our money away. This is happening because the fans demand it and constantly support the game. Many fans (myself included) are extremely happy about it. It's times like these that I'm pleased that I much prefer SF to Marvel when it comes to Capcom fighters ~ Truly feelin' the love from Ono.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I think it's great that they do this with their games. One of the mods here said it best in another thread If Capcom was making MK you guys would have Ultimate MK 9 already.

GrundyFox

I will spit on your tomb!
It is absolutely a good idea. I hope NRS does something like this. The difference between Sf4 and AE is both enormous in his difference of what they have added (as in characters) and the tuning. If Ultra offers to give even more fine tuning across the board I am salivating for it.

Injustice is my first NRS game, and although I do enjoy it, I find their approach to thing sometimes suspect. The only thing that should have been heavily addressed in the game to me was Scorpion (not to open that can of worms) and possibly antis airs. The game seems really jump happy.

That said though you need to give your game time to mature before you start sticking your finger in it. We had to wait an entire year of dealing with Sagat (ugh) before he was "normalized". After that, we got a new version, with new characters and better balancing. Again, after that one we got another one (with kinda bland characters) and now we're set to get another.

The key to all that isn't getting new characters (which is always nice) but that they took a long time gather in player data on Unity and other sources. They spent a lot of time taking that information and dissecting it to make a better game. And they have made a better game each time from my experience.

The only thing I am worried about is that Injustice is such a simple game (engine) I am unsure how different they can make it. Either or though it's going to take time to find and address issues through robust discussion. Not the "whaaa" posting nor the "level up d00d" posting (which are both incredulously stupid) but thoughtful kind, the kind that can only happen (again I say) after the game has had time to mature.

NRS would do well in doing some homework on how this aspect of Capcom is done. There is no shame in mirroring it whatsoever. Especially if they want to do a SF Vs MK game someday.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Well, if you already have SSFIV then $15 for 5 chars and 6 new stages seems legit, I would like to see something like that for MK9.

Aside from the 5 new characters and 6 stages, they're also adding new modes and fixing the unblockables.

And for the balance changes, they clearly said the goal was not only to reduce the gap between top tier and low tier, but also to make all characters feel new again. That's especially interesting I think.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I live in the US so my KOF success is like 0.01%
Dude, the guy who won KOF this year is from the US lol

To the OP:

It takes thousands of hours and a shitload of money to create characters and balance and test them. I am going to GLADLY fork over $40 when it comes out on day 1.

To NRS:

Honestly, I wish that NRS would give us 4 more MK characters in a rebalanced MK9 and call it UMK9, release it as DLC for $15 or as a disc update for $40 like Capcom does. How many of you would pay $15 for this? I would do it in a heartbeat. Someone should make a serious poll.

Hell, they can even throw in the Vita costumes for good measure!

Didn't Sony and M$ announce that they are no longer charging developers for game updates on the 360 and PS3 anymore?

C'mon NRS, lets see this happen colt hecterrific

Mt Mutombo

Banned
Dude, the guy who won KOF this year is from the US lol

To the OP:

It takes thousands of hours and a shitload of money to create characters and balance and test them. I am going to GLADLY fork over $40 when it comes out on day 1.

To NRS:

Honestly, I wish that NRS would give us 4 more MK characters in a rebalanced MK9 and call it UMK9, release it as DLC for $15 or as a disc update for $40 like Capcom does. How many of you would pay $15 for this? I would do it in a heartbeat. Someone should make a serious poll.

Didn't Sony and M$ announce that they are no longer charging developers for game updates on the 360 and PS3 anymore?

C'mon NRS, lets see this happen colt hecterrific
I don't think they'll pour in man hours to work on new content for MK9 even if they're not charging. As you said it takes time, time they won't spend on us:(

Flagg

Noob
I'm sure I've seen screen shots of Alex but I guess he could have been lifted from the Wii game. I'd be surprised if urien and gill didn't appear, I mean its just one character they'd have to make from scratch.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I don't think they'll pour in man hours to work on new content for MK9 even if they're not charging. As you said it takes time, time they won't spend on us:(
They spend all of their time on us, the consumers. Without us buying their games, they don't exist.

Right now, the focus is on Injustice and the DLC surrounding that. I guarantee they are working on the next title (whatever that is, I have no idea) or at least making plans for it.

Paulo himself can do the balance patch for MK9 <3

I don't know about Sony but yes! Microsoft definitely said they would no longer charge developers thousands of dollars to patch their games with is EXCELLENT news for "patch whores" like NRS. :)

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
This is definitely a good idea from Capcom's perspective, since it's guaranteed profit. However, don't think it would be happening if Capcom wasn't so completely in the toilet. Every damn thing they've done lately has flopped miserably, and with good reason. They're riding out SF4 for as long as they can, as hard as they can, and as cheaply as they can because they absolutely need any money they can possibly make. It's a pretty fairly priced package given the content too, so hey, why not?

That said, it is really unfortunate they're not moving on to SF5. I want to see that happen, especially since I haven't liked an SF game at all since A3, and they're not really showing any interest in moving on to bigger and most definitely better things. On the NRS note, I think it's probably worth noting that they won't be doing a UMK9 package because unlike Capcom, they're going to be willing and ready to take the next step up. I have no doubt they're already quietly hard at work on MK10, and I would imagine we'll see it released before the end of 2014. Seems a fair trade against having a ton of incremental updates.

Fear_Me

Noob
It's a very good idea because the fans highly demand it, if it wouldn't be for the community then it would've stopped at Vanilla AE.
And if you like or not it's still the most played game with the highest level of play out of any fighting game.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I dislike the SF4 series & I'll still buy this to support them in their support of this game. While I dislike the actual game, you can't argue its not solid. You gotta respect that. And now their improving it so USF4 is even better.