What's new

Do you think Adderall or its variants give an unfair advantage?

Does this give an unfair advantage?

• Total voters

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Fuck adderall. I want whatever you're on that gave you the ability to crank out a term paper of hate based off of a couple lines I wrote.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Fuck adderall. I want whatever you're on that gave you the ability to crank out a term paper of hate based off of a couple lines I wrote.
Once again, it was three sentences. If thats a term paper for you, I can only assume you haven't actually written a term paper.

Also @God Confirm , to save you some reading I'll give a better example.
I have an astigmatism, a rather acute one to be exact, and thus must wear glasses to help me focus.
If I were to give those glasses to another player, they would probably not have an easier time focusing.
However, as one would see me and note that my performance increased while wearing them, and they ARE made to increase focus, they would assume that it should work the same for everyone.
Also if I wore glasses, and applied a second pair of glasses, it wouldn't double my focus.
The benefits to wearing two glasses isn't Y + Y = 2Y, its actually more like Y(Y*0.5^Y) = X. The second equation could also apply to other passive enhancements (Y can qualify as a lot of things like the headphones)

So if we gave a value to everything people do to increase focus, the addition of Glasses as a factor (or in this case, adderall) become considerably less impactful, and can even create negative value if you consider that these things have a set value to maintain (If we give the value of say... 3 to be base focus, then the second unit can actually bring it below that value)

Its banned outside of FGC for a reason.
So is excessive caffeine.

Anyways to thread denizens, I have to run for a bit. Any disagreements or questions I'll have to address later. Keep it civil :D

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I'm going to concede that I don't know enough to comment any further, but not without noting that neither do most of the other people in this thread. I think the most we can conclude is that any answer to the poll is really just speculation. There's no proof that it will have a positive effect but no proof that it will have a negative one? Is that correct

@Doombawkz what about someone who hypothetically does see significant benefits from taking the drug, would you feel that is an unfair advantage?

Wigy

There it is...
I took medafinil for a month or so and it made no notable difference to my gaming. It keeps you focused on what you're doing, so unless you stare off into space half way through matches i doubt it will do much

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
In reality, I could eat an apple before my match. I would gain, naturally, as much benefit to my focus as I would taking a dose of Adderall. I could do ten push-ups and have a light conversation with a good friend and have as much focus gain as taking Adderall. I could hug someone for 7 seconds and drink a cup of water before the match and would gain as much focus as taking Adderall.
So this is why doctors just advocate eating apples for people suffering from ADHD instead of taking strong prescription drugs?

DOC: "Listen bro -- just eat apples. It'll fix everything."

PATIENT: Wut?

DOC: "Trust me bro. It's just as good. If you don't have any apples, just give someone a hug and drink a glass of water and it'll mitigate the effects of ADHD and drastically improve your ability to focus"

PATIENT: Huh?!??

DOC: Trust me, I lurk on the TYM forums -- it's almost as good as medical school. Plus I eat apples and drink water; I'm focused bro! Gimme a hug!

Last edited:

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I don't see why one would pick this drug over a beta blocker like Inderal (propranolol) if you are looking for an edge over the competition in a fighting game tournament. I don't advocate drug use though. Drugs are trash and are dumb to take.

Edit: Propranolol.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
You still have to he able to react to things. Know your options. All that other good stuff. I think at most it would make you more consistent. But I don't know if it's the same as say taking steroids in a physical competition. In that case being stronger could mean being better than your opponents. But just being able to pay more attention doesn't give you the ability to succeed at a fighter since it's more than that.

Does anyone know of the negative effects after the boost you get from adderall?

I think to stay on the e-sports track TOs should come together and put rules for performance enhancers. Would this include stuff like energy drinks?
I have a friend that does competitive CoD and G-fuel/other drinks are a big thing apparently. It is kind of like an energy drink but mainly a something that is supposed to get you hyper focused. I tried some once and honestly not sure if I noticed any kind of a difference in how I played MKX.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Adderall use is extremely common in LoL (last I remember haven't followed the scene the last year may have been additional regulations added) to the point where you have 10 people in one game on adderall and I would absolutely say it is a game changer in MOBAs but not sure if the difference in play would be as significant for other genres.

E

Eldriken

Adderall use is extremely common in LoL (last I remember haven't followed the scene the last year may have been additional regulations added) to the point where you have 10 people in one game on adderall and I would absolutely say it is a game changer in MOBAs but not sure if the difference in play would be as significant for other genres.
I firmly believe it will give users an unfair advantage in things like RTS, FPS, etc. I just don't think it will necessarily make them perform any better when playing a fighting game.

Numbskull727

happiness is a warm gun
If your more focused on the games, you're less likely to feel nerves. I think that's an advantage. I'm not exactly sure they're like steroids.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I hope that everyone who voted no has 1) attended multiple majors before and 2) tried these types of drugs before. For the record, I've done both.

Being at a major is nothing like watching a stream. You spend a LOT of time standing around and waiting. It's noisy. It's hot. It's crowded. You're there for hours and hours on end, and it's draining. If you want to drink a Red Bull like everyone else, go to town. But while a drug won't make you a better player, a substance like Adderall that gives you multiple hours of focus is unfair in my opinion.

You hear the stream commentators say this all the time - you also hear it a lot in professional poker on TV - but half of the tournament is simply keeping your mental composure and your focus. A lot of times when you hear commentators say that someone is "mentally guardbroken," a definite contributor to that is simply the fatigue of being there for hours and hours while you play through the brackets.

My two cents.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
You're doing yourself a disservice in the long run by taking this garbage. It's bad enough that it seems generally accepted by the public to give this shit to our kids because they don't behave like the rest of the "normal" kids.

Last edited:

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
Pretty sure this topic could be dissected at a micro level from 30 different standpoints lol.

The question isn't that Adderall makes you a better player. It won't give you MU knowledge or a better understanding of frame data, but it will give you a slightly faster reaction. if we have two equal skill players play a match (with one being on Adderall) and that player wins off of a few good reads or reactions, what we have to decide is whether or not he could have done the same while playing sober. Even though it is a prescription drug, it is VERY easy for someone to get their hands on some. If it's easy for one, it's easy for all. Like the age old, "If it's in the game it's not unfair," if nearly anyone can attain Adderall, why would we condemn someone for using it?

You could use the fact that these players are playing for real money in tourneys, but if (assuming all top players are at an equal/near equal skill level with their respective characters) one person takes adderall beforehand, they aren't going to win every set. If it does make that much of an impact, literally everyone would be on it looking for the prize money. It's really just how you choose to interpret the situations.

@Eldriken I'm assuming you are talking about offline/tournament play, as that would be the ideal setting for one to want to boost performance and is what I am solely basing my opinion off of.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I don't see why aderall would decrease nerves in a tournament setting. Yes, it makes you more focused, but it also increases your heart rate, which wouldn't help nerves at all.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Honestly I think it depends, everyone responds to adderall differently.

Personally I wouldn't want to take Adderall, I had it prescribed to me in middle school and it was terrible. It had more negative side effects than positive. To me I feel like a player would want to play in tournament the same way they play at home.

If taking Adderall is part of their daily routine I think it's fine. Taking something only specific for tournament might not be the best idea, but I can see the benefit to help concentration.

I had the same discussion with people who take onnit, that natural supplement that is supposed to improve reaction time and concentration. Would that be in the same boat or no?

I'd rather have a beer and smoke while I play and that's all I really do to change my mental state.