What's new

Do you Regret Buying Premium Edition/Kombat Pack? Do You Think That People will Still Care by the Time Final 2 Characters are Released?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I'm in a weird position. As is, yes, I'm not a fan of the radio silence we've been getting, and no, a few renders and a few seconds of Nightwolf isn't enough to change my stance on that. But NRS really doesn't need to do a lot to ensure that I'll keep playing the game for so long that these long stretches of silence wouldn't even matter. Right now, I'm walking away from each session feeling more frustrated than anything else, and I've been playing less and less as a result. But if the game just received a few key tweaks, then I'd absolutely be in it for the long haul.

As i’ve said since launch, NRS left an EA / Activision sized bad taste in my mouth. I genuinely enjoy MK 11, but not enough for me to ever preorder , or even buy a game from them day one ever again. The amount of bullshit we had to deal with at launch, and now this DLC fiasco ... just not worth supporting them anymore. As a diehard MK fan since the original, it kills me what NRS has become but it is what it is. Maybe it’s WB, maybe Ed Boon is just out of touch these days, but the way they’ve handled this game and their horrible communication is unforgivable.

More on topic, I picked up Ultimate Alliance 3 the day it came out and haven’t touched MK11 since, and at this point I could really give 2 shits about Nightwolf or any of the DLC. I feel like I got burned on $40 but lesson learned. I’ll wait until all the characters are released and download them all at once which will maybe get me another month out of the game, but there is no way I’ll buy a Kombat Pack 2.

As far as MK 12 or what ever else they have, if it looks good I’ll wait for a complete edition during a digital sale or something.

Brand loyalty has its limits ...

Raider

Noob
As i’ve said since launch, NRS left an EA / Activision sized bad taste in my mouth. I genuinely enjoy MK 11, but not enough for me to ever preorder , or even buy a game from them day one ever again. The amount of bullshit we had to deal with at launch, and now this DLC fiasco ... just not worth supporting them anymore. As a diehard MK fan since the original, it kills me what NRS has become but it is what it is. Maybe it’s WB, maybe Ed Boon is just out of touch these days, but the way they’ve handled this game and their horrible communication is unforgivable.

More on topic, I picked up Ultimate Alliance 3 the day it came out and haven’t touched MK11 since, and at this point I could really give 2 shits about Nightwolf or any of the DLC. I feel like I got burned on $40 but lesson learned. I’ll wait until all the characters are released and download them all at once which will maybe get me another month out of the game, but there is no way I’ll buy a Kombat Pack 2.

As far as MK 12 or what ever else they have, if it looks good I’ll wait for a complete edition during a digital sale or something.

This tea is very, very hot...

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
As I said 5 months ago, Cassie’s in the base game I don’t need much more. I think new characters are more of a bonus. The fact that they didn’t give us a roadmap is shitty as hell but what can we do but wait? I would rather have all the characters by the end if the year, but we’ll see.

They’re hitting the gatorade saxophone if they think I’m gonna buy another KP, tho.

MK9

Noob
You have to be retarded if you thought all dlc would be released all at once or by the first 6 months.

Finally seeing the 3 month mark, time to clear out all the scrubs who play the game for rank and content.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
Shang is awesome and Nightwolf and Sindel look awesome.

So far no regrets.

EVO is next where we most likely get a Kombat Pack trailer what is gonna be pretty hype.

Yes, I regret buying their overpriced Season Pass. Their communication around the DLCs or updates in general is awful. They should have said since the beginning the characters present in the Kombat Pack, but no, they waited one extra month after the release of the game to just to upload a video where we didn't even have a visual render of the revealed character. We wouldn't even know who are the last two DLCs without the Switch leaks. I mean... How bad is the communication around a game when the main source of information for its players is the leaks from the datamining of the game ?

And besides that, on a more personal level, I don't like Shang Tsung, I'm not hyped at all for Nightwolf (while I was hyped when he was announced... maybe because of the lack of communication ? :mad:) and I don't care about Terminator.

And I said "overpriced" Season Pass at the beginning of the post. Yes, €40 (around $44) isn't a big amount of money, but €40 is already quite expensive for a Season Pass, because when you buy a full game like €60 (around $66) at release for 25 characters and their cosmetics and everything else like the stages and the story and they charge you €40. for only 6 characters... Oh sorry, I forgot about the skins : Klassic Male Ninjas, Klassic Female Ninjas and Ninja Mime JC. how original. What skins will they create for the next DLCs ? They probably already ran out of ideas. Yeah that's overpriced. Injustice 2's SP was also 40€ but at least you had 9 characters and it was enough for the whole game's lifespan. Here it is €40 and they'll release another €40 KP the next year...

And, WB, if you overcharge us for DLCs, at least use the money to patch your game. There are still amateurish errors for a AAA competitive fighting game : No Wifi filter for the ranked online "seasons", broken mechanics, characters with a lot of whiffing issues or moves that hit when they shouldn't, buggy in-game store, huge grind walls for cosmetics etc.

So yeah I'm pissed off. At least I enjoy the gameplay when I play with friends, but I'll never buy a season pass again.

I would have regretted X's more if I bought that.

Here while I dont have anyone I want, I do have Spawn and Ash who are the two guests left I would be okay with.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
I wouldn’t say I regret buying the KP, but honestly, my interest in the game has tapered off a bit and that’s not normal for me. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and focus more on my real life responsibilities, but even in my downtime I’m not motivated to spark the game up. Gameplay bullshit and lack of information/game updates/DLC, etc. has kinda made me unenthused about the game.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I cannot believe I am saying this (I'm a massive MK fanboy since 92), but I do regret it.

I rarely play the game and when I do, I'm not excited by it at all.

The snails pace that content is being released is really affecting replay value for me. I currently own a game where I only really like one character (kitana), who plays nothing like what she has in every iteration of the game. I hate to say it, but she is a bit boring when using her standard variations.

Perhaps if new characters were released with more regularity (preferably one I would really like too), the game would have more replay value.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Does the value of the Kombat Pack lessen with the speed the characters are released? Imo that's kind of a weird argument to make.

I can understand being a little frustrated with the timing -- but if you were going to quit playing after a few months, I'm wondering what the value of a KP would be to you anyway.

Last edited:

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Ehhhh I would have anyways since I’m a big fan of everything in Mortal Kombat that isn’t competitive, so I kinda gotta get all characters. The communication is a bit fucking lacking, but that’s probably because we’re used to better. Still lacking tho.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't care about it taking longer than usual for the character to release. The devs don't have to rush as much (which is good for them plus it means better balance for us maybe), and it can give a little more time the meta to develop because we won't get meta-changing characters so often. There are definitely pros for waiting just ONE more month than usual. Maybe it would be different if it was taking two more months than usual, but that isn't the case.

My problems with the game is less about the Kombat Pack/DLC and more about the lack of meaningful post-launch updates and patches. We still have people begging for hitbox fixes even though that was a major concern at launch. There absolutely needs to be more patches and communication from NRS, but I don't see that as a Kombat Pack issue really.

Also, yes, NRS might have better communication in comparison to other FG devs, but when the bar has been set so low it doesn't really matter if NRS is "better" because it's still crap (no offense).

EDIT: Giving an example, NRS is willing to tell us that Demitri Vegas is getting a skin on August 13th but absolutely refused to let Kombat Pack owners know that Nightwolf is actually coming that same day. It took a leak from NINTENDO to let us know. Tell me that is good communication. NRS holds on to info for too long just so they can have a grand reveal of some kind, but it always backfires. It gets leaked, people get impatient, they decided to scrap the reveal and just show us a "sneak-peek" gif, etc. It never really works out.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's not only about "the speed the characters are released". You missed the point.
Is it the speed of the reveal? Because as long as they're decent characters and you get them all for the price of the KP, it should be worth it.

Doesn't mean you have to be happy with the timing, but you still get the same value overall.

Last edited:

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around

I agree. This was the first MK I actually could get right off the launch day. MK9 and X I bought months after and still had a blast while playing. All this bad PR and most of all, the direction they went with the story lorewise, made me not care about it anymore.

I still love the game but I haven't play it in like 40 days. I still come here from time to time to see if there's news on DLC (I'm waiting, Fujin!). BUT when it comes to pre ordering or buying day one MK just fell down my interest list. I either will wait a couple weeks until a good deal shows up or see if my wallet is in good condition.

I also don't think we'll see MK12 soon (like the process we're used to had in MK9 - I1 - MKX - I2 - MK11).

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I wonder if NRS is under a muzzle order from WB, and the "leaks" are actually just NRS trying to promote their game?

Either that or someone higher up at NRS itself is a dumb ass. No way should Nintendo be announcing your DLC by putting it up on the store 2 weeks before release (which is totally reasonable.)
Exactly, and I wonder the same. The fact Nintendo had a release date for Nightwolf obviously means WB/NRS knew when he was going to come out...so not why not tell us? I just don't get why they are being so secretive when I know they know a lot of people have been less than happy with how they have been communicating with the community the past month or so.

I just don't get it.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
im happy i bought since i got the game for free. I wish they would be better at communication though , personally they should of taken Nintendo que for smash releases for DLC...

Does the value of the Kombat Pack lessen with the speed the characters are released? Imo that's kind of a weird argument to make.

I can understand being a little frustrated with the timing -- but if you were going to quit playing after a few months, I'm wondering what the value of a KP would be to you anyway.
I typically play NRS games for around a year before I move on... I usually play a lot the first 6-8 months. It's the only fighting I play... I've never been able to get into another fighting except Primal Rage.... but I was very young and who didn't like it.
I don't regret MK11 I do however regret the premium edition because I know I will likely be done with the game before all the characters are even out. In the past I had no problem just buying the premium edition or fighter packs just to support NRS because I always thoroughly enjoyed the games. Never again. I'd have no problem if they told us the DLC would take longer but I wouldn't have gotten the premium edition just kept buying the DLC as they came out while I still played. The lack of communication just makes me not want to play.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I typically play NRS games for around a year before I move on... I usually play a lot the first 6-8 months. It's the only fighting I play... I've never been able to get into another fighting except Primal Rage.... but I was very young and who didn't like it.
I don't regret MK11 I do however regret the premium edition because I know I will likely be done with the game before all the characters are even out. In the past I had no problem just buying the premium edition or fighter packs just to support NRS because I always thoroughly enjoyed the games. Never again. I'd have no problem if they told us the DLC would take longer but I wouldn't have gotten the premium edition just kept buying the DLC as they came out while I still played. The lack of communication just makes me not want to play.
For the most part the best time to play a fighting game IMO is when it is new (or any multiplayer game). and Primal Rage?

Well....as long as you enjoyed yourself playing it.