What's new

Do the run mechanic and long range normals hurt MKX?

• Yes

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I'm fine with the run, but honestly I hate the input they chose. Dashing and blocking are some of the most used buttons, why couldn't they just scrap stance switch and map run to that button?

The super long range normals are ok but they should have made back dashing longer to counter this. As it is back dashing is pretty useless.

My main gripes are the wakeup system and how most matches end up in the corner, just doing meaties on knockdown. There should be more consequences for the offense.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Definitely one of the dumber threads on TYM.

'does an integral part of the game hurt the game?'

You dont like it, go play something else. for real. This is like asking if active reload hurts gears of war or if kill streaks hurt call of duty. they are key aspects to the game, you arent gonna get a game without them, so why even bother to discuss it. what you are asking for is a completely different game, so go play one. I hear SFV just came out, or you can just play mk9 still.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The big thing IMO is they simply didn't design the keep away characters kits with running in mind.

The keep away characters need moves that slow/weaken/negate running.
Either simple things like Errons caltrops, fireballs that damage stamina, moves that slow down the opponents movement.

But honestly, I don't think this was an oversight on their part, a lot of the keep away characters are pretty simple designed, they didn't want anyone to have a strong enough keep away game to keep someone out an entire match. They knew what they were doing, and this is the game they wanted. For better or worse.

Running is a great feature that I hope stays, I just hope for more interesting keep away characters next time.
And no advancing strings...

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Every single move in the game is an advancing move thanks to the run mechanic, so yes, running is the issue

Matix218

Get over here!
Movement in MK9 was good. Have you saw Kenshi, Smoke or Shangs walkspeed? Holy moly!
Mk9 had a lot of things going for it tbh. Imo it was a few bug fixes (input bug, meter drain glitch) and a final balance patch (cyrax, kabal, smoke, etc) away from being a pretty fantastic all around fighting game. Its still my favorite game of all time though because it was my first serious competative game.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Mk9 had a lot of things going for it tbh. Imo it was a few bug fixes (input bug, meter drain glitch) and a final balance patch (cyrax, kabal, smoke, etc) away from being a pretty fantastic all around fighting game. Its still my favorite game of all time though because it was my first serious competative game.
Smoke needed his resets though. He has no way of opening you up :DOGE

The whole game it self felt sluggish compared to injustice.
Pfft, speak for yourself man lol.

Gengar

You cry about commentators, but still watch streams with said commentators. You're not going to get a tournament without one. I didn't complain about runs or long range normals, I didn't even make any arguments for why I think there's more cons than pros. My main Quan falls into both categories, so why would I complain amirite? Now let's keep the discussion on track so we can see what people's opinions are, because literally no one agreed or disagreed with anyone. It's all opinionated responses
Your comparison is flawed. Commentators are a VARIABLE and are subject to change. I dont like a few commentators, and i will go to a different stream when they are on. However, DMS and Tanktopguy are not commentating every stream. Run, however, is in every match. It is an integral part of the game. There is no such thing as MKX without run. There is MKX without specific commentators. perhaps if your argument was that i complain about all commentary in general and would prefer to watch the game in silence it would make sense, as all tournaments have a commentary team and im not gonna get away from that. But alas, thats not true so its not relevant. I enjoy many commentators, just dislike a few and i go to other streams when they are on.

The discussion is pointless. You are essentially discussing or theorycrafting a concept of MKX without run (i assume you dont actually think you can have a game without long range normals, that is impossible, particularly since its a relative term. the only 'fix' is to have all normals have the same exact range so that no other normal can be considered longer. But we all know thats just silly)

And MKX without run does not exist. It is here to stay, get over it.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It's a mix of all purpose normals (not just the distance covered by them), runs being so damn useful, the whole stamina mechanic in general, and how a year later the game finally gave some help to more defensive playstyles (but not nearly enough to even say it's close to being as viable as mixup offense).

I don't think a "yes or no" poll does this topic justice.

Last edited:
Reactions: GQJ

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Yes and no. You can't fight have a gentleman's duel and establish a footsie game to any degree near that of Street Fighter when rushdown is so quick and easy.

There is usually relatively little respect payed to the opponent and their options in this game. It's all about creating your own offense.

But part of that problem is also general lack of powerful AA because jump ins are so free, meaning that in the event of your opponent actually being able to control an area of space, preventing you from simply rushing in, you can probably just jump in on them anyway. It's one reason I play Ferra/Torr. The overhead toss covers the air and comes back down to hit people standing at certain locations on the ground too.

Run cancels are a lot of fun and that's one of the major benefits of it.

The way I see it is that Mortal Kombat will not beat Street Fighter where SF excels. It should do different things with different mechanics so that the games I play aren't homogenized. They're totally different and I like that.

Helmut

Noob
I'm fine with the run, but honestly I hate the input they chose. Dashing and blocking are some of the most used buttons, why couldn't they just scrap stance switch and map run to that button?
I agree with this. I still struggle with using run in juggle combos for some reason. I wish they would give the option to make the stance switch button the run button instead of ffblock. Would that decrease the skill gap and all of the sudden everyone is hitting big damage run combos consistently? Maybe it was intentional to have it be a little more difficult than just pushing one button perhaps. Seems like an easy thing they could add but like I said maybe its a bit harder for a reason.

Afumba

Noob
As someone that likes to play keep away/zoning/defensively i am not the biggest fan of both; run being the biggest evil.

I also dont like that they chose forward forward block fas run input instead of a button.

Gengar

Again, I'm not complaining about run or normals lol. However, it's interesting to see other people's opinions. I don't remember saying either of them should be taken out of the game in any way
sure, you are not blatantly advocating for run to be removed.You are just inspiring a conversation where people either like run or they dont, and people not liking run is a severe case of get the fuck over it because run isnt going anywhere. people can dislike run or talk about why it needs to be removed all they want, its a pointless discussion because its not happening until we get a new game. This time and effort would be better spent discussing topics of actual merit instead of fantasy land 'what if' bullshit where people advocate for changes that will never be implemented.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Definitely one of the dumber threads on TYM.

'does an integral part of the game hurt the game?'

You dont like it, go play something else. for real. This is like asking if active reload hurts gears of war or if kill streaks hurt call of duty. they are key aspects to the game, you arent gonna get a game without them, so why even bother to discuss it. what you are asking for is a completely different game, so go play one. I hear SFV just came out, or you can just play mk9 still.
real shit

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
As someone that likes to play keep away/zoning/defensively i am not the biggest fan of both; run being the biggest evil.

I also dont like that they chose forward forward block fas run input instead of a button.
lol i find people who jump in areharder than runners