What's new

Do the run mechanic and long range normals hurt MKX?

• Yes

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
My main issue with MK X is the run, not a huge fan. If they do bring it back in MK 11 I hope A. it's replaced with dashes, modified or something. I don't know or B. Make it the left trigger please....having it be block and forward, forward is just pain in the ass. That needs to change IMO.
The reason the left trigger wouldn't work is simply because it makes it WAY harder for people who play on stick (like myself) Not sure if you have played on a stick before but pressing l1 and l2 on a fight stuck isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, you have to shift your hand in order to press it and even though it may sound like a small thing, it actually is pretty huge, and very counter intuitive.

The reason the left trigger wouldn't work is simply because it makes it WAY harder for people who play on stick (like myself) Not sure if you have played on a stick before but pressing l1 and l2 on a fight stuck isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, you have to shift your hand in order to press it and even though it may sound like a small thing, it actually is pretty huge, and very counter intuitive.
I play on stick and thought about having a run button while examining my stick, honestly didn't find any button combination hard to press. Either way sure beats having the weird dash+block to run IMO.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I don't know if I would say it "hurts" it per se, but there does seem to be a lack of that midrange game that was so fundamentally strong in MK9 that people may miss.

Sure, MK9 had its bullshit, but that d4 range was a blast to play around in. In MKX it feels more like you're either full screen or getting your shit pushed in up close more often than not.

It really all comes down to personal preference.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I play on stick and thought about having a run button while examining my stick, honestly didn't find any button combination hard to press. Either way sure beats having the weird dash+block to run IMO.
To be honest I like how the run is now, the way I play I always have my ring finger hovering over the block button so it makes running and block very simple, I don't like the placement of l1 and l2 even though there really is no way to put it, if they did have l2 for run in the future I really hope there is an option to have it as the way it was with mkx

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not one thing that hurts MKX. It's a combination of run, long range normals, advancing normals, poor anti airs, safe 50/50's that lead to 30%+ damage, and more. These all affect each other, in a major way. I've already mentioned this multiple times, but I'll say this; what hurts MKX the most is the lack of defensive options and reliability of those limited options compared to the plethora of offensive options and how consistent and effective they are.

The run kinda kills footsies imo. Some chars can run from full screen and jump and you can't even anti-air them. You can trip-guard if your back is against the wall.

About long range attacks, I think some of them should be have hurt-box('s). Like dhalsim in sfv? ryu can just shoryu his limbs. Something like that would be great.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
In my opinion the run mechanic also adds to the difficulty of anti airing in mkx. At jump distance in mk9 you mainly only had to worry about a jump in since that was the only way that large of a gap could be closed quickly. Therefore you didn't need to rely on holding the block button at that range and were free to look for a jump and if you saw one you could easily blow it up.

In mkx at jump distance you must be looking for a jump in, a run in into a 50/50 or a run in into pressure/throw. This means that your mind has to be really sharp at that range looking for multiple things from a defensive standpoint which means you will be more likely to block and not be ready for a jump in.

I know the jump normals also have better priority in mkx which adds to the anti air issue but the run mechanic is not helping that either.

Its just another reason why mkx is such an offense favoring game by design.
Exaaaaactllly. Pretty much sums up rhe run mechanics biggest problem

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

This is a good example of why mk9 is vastly superior than mKx. No safe 50/50 bull. No un reactable run ins, usable anti airs, pokes actually serve their purpose.

Just solid spacing and reads to open your opponent up. Mk9 was just a patch away from Being amazing

Matix218

Get over here!

This is a good example of why mk9 is vastly superior than mKx. No safe 50/50 bull. No un reactable run ins, usable anti airs, pokes actually serve their purpose.

Just solid spacing and reads to open your opponent up. Mk9 was just a patch away from Being amazing
I agree. It was very close to being perfect, just some bugs/glitches and a final balance patch and it would have been the perfect MK

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
My main issue with MK X is the run, not a huge fan. If they do bring it back in MK 11 I hope A. it's replaced with dashes, modified or something. I don't know or B. Make it the left trigger please....having it be block and forward, forward is just pain in the ass. That needs to change IMO.
that begs the question....why the hell does stance change button even exist? lol

Matix218

Get over here!
Its almost impossible to have a footsie game with the run mechanic, and yes combine that with mega ranged normals, its just a mental game.
Yeah that is pretty true, you don't have to dance in that footsie range anymore trying to bait something or get in your perfect range where your best footsie tool outranges theirs. Its like almost everything is always in range because if it is not you can just run in and make it be in range.

Lol you all thought liu kang was ridiculous before change stance switch button to run and every front page forum would be titled "should liu be nerfed again?"

JDM

Noob
Hurt it as opposed to what? I think MKX is good for what it set out to do, run button is an interesting mechanic. Without it, there would just be wavedashing like in MK9 or horrid movement like in injustice.

I think the run button is fine. My biggest issue is lack of decent anti airs. Why does Cassies flip get beat out by every air move? Why does Lao's normal spin suck DICK as an anti-air now? Jabs are ok but jabs are jabs, I don't understand why they nerfed anti-airs so badly.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Still i disagree about mkx anti airs. They are very strong now with the d2 Being buffed. The problem which matix pointed out is the risk of somone running in your face

Matix218

Get over here!
Hurt it as opposed to what? I think MKX is good for what it set out to do, run button is an interesting mechanic. Without it, there would just be wavedashing like in MK9 or horrid movement like in injustice.

I think the run button is fine. My biggest issue is lack of decent anti airs. Why does Cassies flip get beat out by every air move? Why does Lao's normal spin suck DICK as an anti-air now? Jabs are ok but jabs are jabs, I don't understand why they nerfed anti-airs so badly.
They did just buff them in the recent patch, they buffed several anti air type moves and also said that they decreased the hit priority of jump in attacks. They didn't really go into much detail about it in the notes though. But I have had a much easier time anti-airing people into full combos on reaction even online since the beta/patch. Maybe that's just because scorpion's standing 3 is godlike now though...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
that begs the question....why the hell does stance change button even exist? lol
Lol I think the nrs guys said in one of the earlier streams about that saying they thought it was cool or sonething, do aesthetic reasons why they kept it lol.

I know I was like oh come on guys, make it useful! Arggh

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Hehe, watching this makes you realize that everyone's become better fighting game players since then.

Simple fundamentals like respecting of frame traps, better hitconfirming, people generally playing and reacting faster -- it's cool to see the community evolve together.

This was a great set -- but you can also see the excitement the faster pace of MKX brings.. If there's a way to meet in the middle, we might have the perfect game :)

Edit: Also, Cowboy's face after the X-Ray was classic

Last edited: