What's new

Do the run mechanic and long range normals hurt MKX?

• Yes

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
I've talked about this with many people, with pros and cons for both mechanics, but I ultimately believe that the cons outweigh the pros. Would want to hear your opinions.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
In terms of long range normals i dont think so. Every fighting game has long range normals. Some better than others. Cyber kanos b2 reaches really far. But at 18 frames your not going to throw that up close. Its a spacing tool and catches ppl running in to close the gap mindlessly. Now the long range low profiling normals are pretty annoying(looking at you mileena. I swear to god if you yolo roll again) but are usually punishable so i guess it balances. I dont usually have a problem with the run in general. There are things to counter that as well. I guess not being able to keep some one out for long cause thwy can run in is meh. Idk. Lvl up? Jk i kid i kid. Def pros and cons but i think they balance out

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't think the run mechanic hurts the game, although there is indeed some very fast running characters, is kinda hard to predict the right timing to stop them at will, however fullscreen strings, and halfscreen normals are really bad, specially if a character gets a combination of both, it makes them cover distance a lot more quicker than mostly anyone else, nearly impossible to react and mostly impossible to set a counter attack against it.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Makes it pretty tough to play footsies. With pre patch Lao I found it extremely difficult to react to the run up f2 as well as the j2. Pretty much had to anticipate one or the other.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Run should stay.

Advancing normals I can see why they'd need to be toned down a bit though. There really shouldn't be any OH or low normals with the range some of them have in X.

I want to disagree with the advancing normals being too much thing, then I remember how stupid Hollywood Cassie is to fight.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Long ranged normals are fine but the thing is that characters like Cassie and Kotal completely outrange others and that makes no sense IMO.
Also the fact that some fast advancing normals are plus on block is stupid. If you have a tool that you can literally just throw out like pancakes like Cassie's B1 it should guarantee that your turn is over once it's blocked but she can make it + on block. Kotal Kahn gets a mix-up off a fast advancing mid -_-. Even pre-patch Mileena, I didn't agree with people crying about it being the ultimate pressure tool but I actually agree that no fast advancing mid should be + on block. D'vorah can jail you after a blocked F112~bug cancel. Liu Kang's EX flying kick negates the neutral game and it was +2 on block, right now it's neutral.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
About the advancing normals.

It also doesn't help the battle screen size and stage sizes are the size of my pinky. Forces you to hold all these half screen normals instead of being able to consistently space away from them. From near full screen Johnny Cage is a jump and a F3 away from glory.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think running either needs tweaking, or new defensive options to deal with it for some characters.

Long range normals and fast advancing combo strings that come out on wiff should go and stay go.

Matix218

Get over here!
In my opinion the run mechanic also adds to the difficulty of anti airing in mkx. At jump distance in mk9 you mainly only had to worry about a jump in since that was the only way that large of a gap could be closed quickly. Therefore you didn't need to rely on holding the block button at that range and were free to look for a jump and if you saw one you could easily blow it up.

In mkx at jump distance you must be looking for a jump in, a run in into a 50/50 or a run in into pressure/throw. This means that your mind has to be really sharp at that range looking for multiple things from a defensive standpoint which means you will be more likely to block and not be ready for a jump in.

I know the jump normals also have better priority in mkx which adds to the anti air issue but the run mechanic is not helping that either.

Its just another reason why mkx is such an offense favoring game by design.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Advancing strings are bad though. I mean, what's the point of an invincible backdash when you get punished with the same string you are trying to back away from. In Injustice backdashing was done right, I loved dashing back with Doomsday and punishing whiffs.
I love my new 22 string though :REO #commandolyfe

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
It's all skewed to the aggressor. For the most part, there's not much room for deliberate play in the game. Both mechanics exacerbate each other.

Depending on the character, you get a lot just for touching the opponent. A lot of times the aggressor doesn't give a fuck if they opened you up or not (Cage, D'Vorah, etc.). With the high-lows, staggers, and plus-on-block moves/run-cancels... it's a pretty hefty reward for getting near your opponent. So the fact that it's so easy to get to that position is annoying for the deliberate player.

I'd love to see what the game was like with the old MK movement.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
My main issue with MK X is the run, not a huge fan. If they do bring it back in MK 11 I hope A. it's replaced with dashes, modified or something. I don't know or B. Make it the left trigger please....having it be block and forward, forward is just pain in the ass. That needs to change IMO.