What's new

Do Street fighter Games usually have a Balanced Cast?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Street fighter never had real balance. I've been playing since 1991 and even then, there was Guile. Champion Edition had Bison etc. etc. There is no miracle balanced fighting game. The only way to achieve true balance is to make one playable character.

If you like a character, stick with it until you feel really confident. Learn as many match-ups as possible with your character and really learn to use the tools the character has. I did that with Goro and I'm finding some success.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
You can only play if you have pre-ordered the game through Amazon, GameStop or PSN. Once you do that. You will get a code that you can use to download the beta. The only time you can play the beta is when Capcom opens the servers up. It sucks and is not worth it. If I had known that you could not even play the offline mode until Capcom lets you, I would not have pre-ordered it. By the way, the game's music is awful. Thank goodness for volume control.
um why would they let you play offline when it is a BETA to test their SERVERS, that was the entire point of the beta, to test the netcode and improve it, it is NOT i repeat NOT a demo. it is something to help them get the best connection possible when the full game comes out, this is purely to help SF5 have a smooth launch and a smooth online lifespan, nothing more. and to be fair this is one of the best betas i have ever played simply because it is doing it not for a cash grab, but to help the game in the long run, this is an ACTUAL beta. not an early sneak peak to the game.

I heard Street Fighter IV the first version balance was bad with Ryu, Akuma and Sagat being top tier, Ryu could escape the corner for free and shit :DOGE, Capcom being trying to balance pretty much the same game since 2009. I'd say NRS would do fairly good balancing MKX for 7 years, better than Capcom has in my opinion.

Last edited:

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
SF4 ended up being pretty well balanced, though it took them a long time to reach that point.

Seriously, they spent years fine-tuning SF4 - MKX, by comparison, has had 6 months. All things considered, the balance in MKX isn't all that bad, even if it's maybe not (yet) as good as SF4.

As for online, it's... OK. Better than MKX, for sure.
I agree.

But NRS going with the "let's recreate characters" every iteration of MK is going to have trouble every time.

MKX is ok to me when it comes to overall balance since last patch.

But still, USF4 feels more balanced to me as in "less bullshit" you have to deal with when learning matchups.

For now, SF5 feels quite ok, they keep on balancing the game every build, so no worries there : SF5 won't have dominant top tiers that will completely crush the rest of the cast.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Who the hell still consideres Bison strong
Dude he's pretty good now.

@MAPUSA you'd be surprised how many people don't know the frame data for the characters. Sure they'll might know that some characters have a 3 frame DP or that some special moves are negative to a certain amount. But people just don't know the frame data on most of the normals like how plus certain jabs.

Last edited:

d3v

SRK
People saying that SFIV has decent online have never played on proper netcode.

At the end of the day, SFIV is still using variable delay based netcode, which is never ideal for fighting games. Rollback netcode is the way to go, which is why KI and SFV are using it.

mercureXI

People saying that SFIV has decent online have never played on proper netcode.

At the end of the day, SFIV is still using variable delay based netcode, which is never ideal for fighting games. Rollback netcode is the way to go, which is why KI and SFV are using it.
You have to consider the fact that people here are NRS fans.

They never really touched anything better than MKX when it comes to online netcode.

And since USF4's netcode is like ... 34 times better than that, it surely qualifies as decent.

Same thing with GG Xrd.

haketh

Noob
Dude he's pretty good now.

@MAPUSA you'd be surprised how many people don't know the frame data for the characters. Sure they'll might know that some characters have a 3 frame DP or that some moves are negative to a certain amount. But for the majority of the moves people just don't know.
That's what I thought at first when Ultra dropped and he still had alot of the same problems, just feels like he can't keep up at all in the meta. Not deplorable but not top 10 IMO.

NGL, I've been thinking about picking up USFIV again but I know that way lies frustration & my plate is already full wiht MK, BlazBlue, & Skullgirls.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
um why would they let you play offline when it is a BETA to test their SERVERS, that was the entire point of the beta, to test the netcode and improve it, it is NOT i repeat NOT a demo. it is something to help them get the best connection possible when the full game comes out, this is purely to help SF5 have a smooth launch and a smooth online lifespan, nothing more. and to be fair this is one of the best betas i have ever played simply because it is doing it not for a cash grab, but to help the game in the long run, this is an ACTUAL beta. not an early sneak peak to the game.
Umm...because I don't like being told what to do and when to do it. Is that a good enough explanation for you? I'll give you the beta explanation, you are correct. I'm fully aware of why these are needed and how they work in a real test setting. I just figured that they would at LEAST let you fool around with it offline while you wait for improvements/additions to provide feedback on. Moving on now.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
sf4 ended up being a very balanced game but it took them really long to get there. its also interesting to see how much the meta changes without the game actually being patched or anythings

MrProfDrPepper

Umm...because I don't like being told what to do and when to do it. Is that a good enough explanation for you? I'll give you the beta explanation, you are correct. I'm fully aware of why these are needed and how they work in a real test setting. I just figured that they would at LEAST let you fool around with it offline while you wait for improvements/additions to provide feedback on. Moving on now.
nope, they have a QA department for gameplay fixes and testers and all that good stuff, this is purely a beta, if you want to screw around with an uctual offline build you have to go to a convention or a major tournament, hell with the beta they even said that it would only be in intervals, this is purely to test servers, that is all the public is for. and besides, even though it is advertised as a little bonus, it really isnt, hell you get it if you plop down 5 bucks on the game, you pay $65 for the game, just as any other game you pre-order, $5 for reserving the game day 1 so you are guarunteed a copy, and $60 for the the actual game, hell if you dont like how the game is turning out you can just go back, say you no longer want the money to be put towards the game and boom, the beta was free. no money wasted, your point is that you wasted money when in reality to participate in the beta you dont need to spend a dime.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
nope, they have a QA department for gameplay fixes and testers and all that good stuff, this is purely a beta, if you want to screw around with an uctual offline build you have to go to a convention or a major tournament, hell with the beta they even said that it would only be in intervals, this is purely to test servers, that is all the public is for. and besides, even though it is advertised as a little bonus, it really isnt, hell you get it if you plop down 5 bucks on the game, you pay $65 for the game, just as any other game you pre-order, $5 for reserving the game day 1 so you are guarunteed a copy, and $60 for the the actual game, hell if you dont like how the game is turning out you can just go back, say you no longer want the money to be put towards the game and boom, the beta was free. no money wasted, your point is that you wasted money when in reality to participate in the beta you dont need to spend a dime.
Yep, I still had to pay money to participate. Money was still involved. True, if I don't like the game, I can request Sony to refund the money I spent on it via the PSN pre-order. I'm well aware of how QA testing works. I'm a software engineer working for a company out in Glendale, CA. In a real fighting game beta test, the developers will post where they were going to set up shop and invite players to come and enjoy/play test the game. They hold these beta tests for about 3 or more days. Once done and all the data from feedback is collected, they go back to the office and work on the fixes/improvements etc.

My point is this:
I downloaded the game beta to my HDD. It is taking up some space now. I should be able to play the game offline in it's most recent state at my leisure. It's not like the Capcom team came over and set up shop in my home to allow me to beta test the game. I still have the game date in my HDD. What harm is it to let me play the beta offline? I understand that the information regarding the beta was delivered to the public but I'm still on the side of "hey, I should be able to continue to play the beta at my leisure, online or not."

I have plenty of preview program betas that I play on Xbox One and they seem to allow me to play whenever I want, or at least for longer periods of time that this game and for free.

Look, I get it. But, I'll chalk this one up to:
We will have to agree to disagree.

Peace

MrProfDrPepper

Yep, I still had to pay money to participate. Money was still involved. True, if I don't like the game, I can request Sony to refund the money I spent on it via the PSN pre-order. I'm well aware of how QA testing works. I'm a software engineer working for a company out in Glendale, CA. In a real fighting game beta test, the developers will post where they were going to set up shop and invite players to come and enjoy/play test the game. They hold these beta tests for about 3 or more days. Once done and all the data from feedback is collected, they go back to the office and worke on the fixes/improvements etc.

My point is this:
I downloaded the game beta to my HDD. It is taking up some space now. I should be able to play the game offline in it's most recent state at my leisure. It's not like the Capcom team came over and set up shop in my home to allow me to beta test the game. I still have the game date in my HDD. What harm is it to let me play the beta offline? I understand that the information regarding the beta was delivered to the public but I'm still on the side of "hey, I should be able to continue to play the beta at my leisure, online or not."

I have plenty of preview program betas that I play on Xbox One and they seem to allow me to play whenever I want, or at least for longer periods of time that this game and for free.

Peace
money was involved to pre-order the game yes, how much do you pay to get a game day 1? $65, how much does it cost to pre-order SF5, $65, it is universal, this is just letting the people who pre-ordered the game test the connection for the game since they will be the ones playing the game day 1. I however will concede that it would be nice to have a playable offline demo on the side, time to learn new characters etc. but unfortunately that isnt what this is for.
see ya i guess :/

mercureXI

Yep, I still had to pay money to participate. Money was still involved. True, if I don't like the game, I can request Sony to refund the money I spent on it via the PSN pre-order. I'm well aware of how QA testing works. I'm a software engineer working for a company out in Glendale, CA. In a real fighting game beta test, the developers will post where they were going to set up shop and invite players to come and enjoy/play test the game. They hold these beta tests for about 3 or more days. Once done and all the data from feedback is collected, they go back to the office and work on the fixes/improvements etc.

My point is this:

Peace
You also could pre-order from amazon, get your code, then cancel your pre-order, like most people did. No money involved.

Those beta tests are all about stress testing the servers / see how good their rollback netcode is at the moment / test crossplay.
No reason to transform this into an offline demo at all.

Not to mention, that you can, right now, like many people did, download the beta hack on PC and play offline with 12 characters, in training mode / against AI / against another player.

In the end : really no reason at all to get upset ... you just feel entitled to something that never was there to begin with (offline demo).

d3v

SRK

My point is this:

Peace
Missing the point. The team has already stated multiple times that the beta test was meant to test the netcode. This is different from the preview "betas" in that those are pretty much marketing exercises.

Additionally, this was set up like a regular fighting game location test, except that it was done to test the online.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Missing the point. The team has already stated multiple times that the beta test was meant to test the netcode. This is different from the preview "betas" in that those are pretty much marketing exercises.

Additionally, this was set up like a regular fighting game location test, except that it was done to test the online.
I already stated that I understood the purpose of the beta. I'm not an idiot. I only stated that it would have been nice to be able to play offline at my leisure. What part of my point are you guys missing?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
You also could pre-order from amazon, get your code, then cancel your pre-order, like most people did. No money involved.

Those beta tests are all about stress testing the servers / see how good their rollback netcode is at the moment / test crossplay.
No reason to transform this into an offline demo at all.

Not to mention, that you can, right now, like many people did, download the beta hack on PC and play offline with 12 characters, in training mode / against AI / against another player.

In the end : really no reason at all to get upset ... you just feel entitled to something that never was there to begin with (offline demo).
Very true statement. I agree with you 100%.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
money was involved to pre-order the game yes, how much do you pay to get a game day 1? $65, how much does it cost to pre-order SF5, $65, it is universal, this is just letting the people who pre-ordered the game test the connection for the game since they will be the ones playing the game day 1. I however will concede that it would be nice to have a playable offline demo on the side, time to learn new characters etc. but unfortunately that isnt what this is for.
see ya i guess :/
I paid full price for the game on PSN. It's all good, man. You were correct with the points you made. And yes, it would have been nice to enjoy the offline mode as a demo.

Peace