What's new

Do Street fighter Games usually have a Balanced Cast?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Street fighter never had real balance. I've been playing since 1991 and even then, there was Guile. Champion Edition had Bison etc. etc. There is no miracle balanced fighting game. The only way to achieve true balance is to make one playable character.

If you like a character, stick with it until you feel really confident. Learn as many match-ups as possible with your character and really learn to use the tools the character has. I did that with Goro and I'm finding some success.
HOLY JESUS MASTERMALONE LIVES.

@Pig Of The Hut

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm wondering because if street fighter 5 has a Balanced Roster and Good NetCode Im probably Buying Sf5.

If any of you played Street Fighter 4 can you tell me how the online experience was and how balanced the roster was... Thanks in Advance.
SF in itself is more balanced than MK, because of the innate game mechanics. Normals are important, combos are less important, specials have different purposes and aren't usually as ridiculous as in MK. I doubt there will be an advancing armoured low in SF that you can't react to.

d3v

SRK
One of the things I liked about sone of the older games was how a character could be good just on fundamentals. Hell, in 3rd Strike you'd run into more scummy stuff fighting mid tier characters while a character like Chun (top tier) could beat majority of the cast just by imposing a strong ground game.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Here are the (relatively)balanced SF games.

Super Turbo
Super SF4
Ultra SF4.

Everything else is fucked to some degree with a very small viable cast.

Bonus worst offenders list.

Championship edition
Alpha 3
Third strike

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
SF in itself is more balanced than MK, because of the innate game mechanics. Normals are important, combos are less important, specials have different purposes and aren't usually as ridiculous as in MK. I doubt there will be an advancing armoured low in SF that you can't react to.
Advancing armoured low that launches for a full combo****

d3v

SRK
Here are the (relatively)balanced SF games.

Super Turbo
Super SF4
Ultra SF4.

Everything else is fucked to some degree with a very small viable cast.

Bonus worst offenders list.

Championship edition
Alpha 3
Third strike
3rd Strike being unbalanced is overstated. The way the game has developed, especially in Japan shows that the game is more balanced than people give it credit for.

LoL at calling Super Turbo relatively balanced when it's the biggest counterpick game in the series. There are certain, almost truly unwinnable match ups in that game (including true 9:1s). And lets noy forget that it and its updated HD Remix version are the only SF games to ever have characters banned (Akuma).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
3rd Strike being unbalanced is overstated. The way the game has developed, especially in Japan shows that the game is more balanced than people give it credit for.

More like you underestimate just how godlike certain players are.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Clearly, it's not a coincidence that you see almost nothing but Ken Makoto Chun-Li Yun in TOP 8 during 3rd strike tourneys (with the occasional Dudley / Yang)

It's not that other characters suck, it's the fact that these ones have powerful tools that just push them way high in the tier list.

d3v

SRK
More like you underestimate just how godlike certain players are.
No. It's already well accepted within the 3rd Strike community that certain mechanics make the game more balanced than what people think. The Japanese themselves have stated that parry alone makes certain matchups more fair (as in 7:3s becomes 6:4s because of parry).

Tieing into this is the fact that you only ever judge a game's balance from the highest levels of play, so if the best players of so-and-so character are playing a character at a certain level, then that level represents the true balance of the game as it exists at the moment.

Clearly, it's not a coincidence that you see almost nothing but Ken Makoto Chun-Li Yun in TOP 8 during 3rd strike tourneys (with the occasional Dudley / Yang)

It's not that other characters suck, it's the fact that these ones have powerful tools that just push them way high in the tier list.
Nobody is saying that the game is as balanced as say, SFIV (which is quite an anomaly within Street Fighter games, mostly due to how everything has been nerfed to shit). But rather, it's common knowledge among the core 3S community that the game is much more balanced than non-3S players give it credit for.