What's new

Discussion - "Shut up and get better"

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I don't give a fuck about tier lists I play who I want and win or lose I'll stick with them.
And that is fine. I think the confusion here is tha tyou think I am saying that all players should play how I describe. But what i am actually doing is trying to explain how play to win players like myself think and why we say things like "shut up and get better"

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
You can do that too! I fully advocate playing for fun as well, there is room for both. Thedifference is, in my mind I diffrentiate when it matters (tournament, serious sets, playing to learn) and when it doesn't (online casuals for example). I have a shazam that I play on the side when I am trying to relax, but I will never play him when there is something on the line.

This is my whole point, I dont play tournies just for money. Hell, I mainly go to meet other people, have fun with others, and play a game I enjoy with other who enjoy it as well. This isnt my job, its a hobby, I cant make a living off of Injustice. I will not meet players that tend to be enjoyable/sociable by playing the best character 24/7, as I will come off as an arrogant douche.

Regardless if you think it matters, most crowds gravitate towards players who dont always win, but play great matches and have unique things about the way they play. Nothing is better then a crowd cheering on you or booing an opponent.

I understand the play 2 win at any costs mentality, but for anyone other then a someone who solely goes for money, that mentality is disgusting.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
This is my whole point, I dont play tournies just for money. Hell, I mainly go to meet other people, have fun with others, and play a game I enjoy with other who enjoy it as well. This isnt my job, its a hobby, I cant make a living off of Injustice. I will not meet players that tend to be enjoyable/sociable by playing the best character 24/7, as I will come off as an arrogant douche.

Regardless if you think it matters, most crowds gravitate towards players who dont always win, but play great matches and have unique things about the way they play. Nothing is better then a crowd cheering on you or booing an opponent.

I understand the play 2 win at any costs mentality, but for anyone other then a someone who solely goes for money, that mentality is disgusting.
Playing to win is not neccasarily about money. ITs how players play that genuinely have the most fun by playing the absolute best they can and winning as much as possible. I don't think that's disgusting at all. What I personally find disgusting is limiting yourself for the sake of being liked. But to each their own.

Justice

Noob
I mean what else am I supposed to say? Every thing I said was fact. Both players have access to the same tools, save for p1 adv in mk. So it truly is intelligence and skill that decides who comes out on top. Am I supposed to hold his hand and tell him how to beat me? No that's his job. If he can't do it, he shouldn't bitch, he should just quit. I don't know how much more blunt I should be.
I have a ton of things to say on this subject, but I wanted to start by adressing this. Now everyone is entitled to their own opinions and such, but to me, this is an elitist attitude. We don't grow a scene with this attitude. Now I totally agree that hand-holding is unnecessary but a few tips to work on go a long way. Besides, if the player is that bad, then odds are, even if you told him what to do, he wouldn't be able to pull it off anyway ;)

Now for me, I say "Shut the fuck up and play". Sort of the same idea but with some subtle differences. Basically what I mean by this is stop whining on a forum about this, that, and the other thing (I.E. advertising how much you suck) and play the game. It doesn't even have to mean go and hit the lab. It could mean just go and enjoy the game that you spent your hard-earned monies on for a casual player.

Things in Injustice like the interactibles, stage transitions, et. al. are no surprise to anyone. We knew about these at least 6 months before release. There was much time and information available to decide if you were even going to purchase the game. Even after this, every time you sit down at the console, you know bloody well these elements are involved. If you do not wish to deal with them, play another game. Also, everyone has access to the same things and it is a part of the strategy; do you risk opening yourself up to use an interactible or use as amny as you can to prevent your opponent from using them, do you use them as a kombo-extender? These and many other considerations must be addressed before you even start the match.

Everything is beatable with some things being harder than others. Just like some characters are harder to beat than others, some interactibles seem unbeatable or "broken". I still feel that the game is too new to call anything "broken" or "scrubby". I watch the streams and for the most part it seems that everyone is trying to play Injustice the same as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or King of Fighters. It is not these games. Interactible use is kept to a minimum; either a background bounce for a kombo-extend or a bot-toss for an anti-wakeup with the occcaional stage transition thrown in. Until players embrace the strategy (and possibly even the broken-ness) of these new elements that make Injustice unique, "Shut Up and Play" going to be heard and said a lot.

I see the whining as you telling yourself what you need to work on. If your tummy rumbles, it's time to eat. If you get tired doing something, it's time to stop. If you keep getting hit by an interactible, it's time to figure out how to get around it or to prevent your opponent from beating you to it. If Deathstroke's Low Guns are blowing you up, hit the lab and figure out how to beat them.

I come from an era where things like patches didn't exist. You figured things out or played a different game. This is how I still approach my games if for no other reason, you get more for you money by spending the time to firgure things out instead of beating a game in a weekend but using cheat codes or online walkthroughs. This modern-day sense of entitlement people seem to have baffles me.

At the end of the day, "Shut the Fuck Up and Play".

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I met this hot receptionist and she said her favorite MK character is Noob Saibot. I bought her a hamster to make her smile. I`m very focused.

Recently I saw Gatsby, and it was way too long and over dramatic for such a simple story. I blame the director.

Every girl I've ever talked MK with at work said they played Mileena.

Every single one. I'm up to 8 so far.

I also am very focused. I feel like keeping myself steady and smart amidst the sea of madness and bitching about dearest Injustice has helped me grow great lengths as a player, regardless of how horrid online can be to me sometimes.

I heard Gatsby was way too overdone for its own good.
You want a real delicious dish of a film? Watch "Red Lights."
Cillian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver, DeNiro one of the Olsens. Psychics, madness, witty puns. Amazing movie.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
Dude, my point was that people who pick the best character in the game solely for the advantages they bring for the use of money is disgusting logic. You applied fun and basically proved my point that you can be playing to win and not choose the absolute best tools all the time.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Dude, my point was that people who pick the best character in the game solely for the advantages they bring for the use of money is disgusting logic. You applied fun and basically proved my point that you can be playing to win and not choose the absolute best tools all the time.
I never said that you have to pick the absolute best tools to win, I said you should pick whoever gives you the nest chance of winning if that is what you care about. So I think we agree.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
And that is fine. I think the confusion here is tha tyou think I am saying that all players should play how I describe. But what i am actually doing is trying to explain how play to win players like myself think and why we say things like "shut up and get better"
I just never understood the tier whore mentality that people should drop characters they've played since launch to play the current S+ character like all the time they've invested in the character is worthless It'd be like telling Daigo to drop Ryu for Cammy or Kayane to drop Chun Li for Akuma.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I just never understood the tier whore mentality that people should drop characters they've played since launch to play the current S+ character like all the time they've invested in the character is worthless.
Well it won't be worthless skills will carry over. The question is, will it improve my play enough that it is worth it?

can we just let let tier whores be tier whores and low tier heroes be low tier heroes guys? Seriously.this argument gets nowhere. nobody likes to hear people talk shit about their character or be looked down on because of playing a character they enjoy. Nobody likes to be accused of only using character because it's a top tier character even though some people do for that reason but people still use top tier for the same reason people use low tier. So let's stop generalizing low tier mains as sore losers and top tier mains as people paying their bills with tournament winnings. Because this site already does enough of that.

tataki

Noob
Part of playing a videogame is discovering how to overcome challenges. Doesn't matter if the challenge is a player, or a character. You play to develop yourself, not to engage in an ego battle with your cousin or some shit.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ok. As you post more i have a better handle on where you're coming from, and have even agreed with some of the points you made. The one I absolutely feel is wrong is "players who play to win just shut up use the best tools they can and win". Which is part of your stance.

This is not accurate and can only hurt the game being as good as it potentially can be. There's a diff between scrubs complaining about "omg DS guns" and legitimate complaints like Batgirl's meterless infinite which was patched or Sinestro's throw having only done 9% damage. These are not situations that people need to "shut up and get better", these are things that needed to be fixed so the GAME can be better.

Those rooftop robots are in this type of category. They tip the game in a fair or unfair direction too heavily, negating some of the skill that you would tell people "shut up and get better" about. If one stage can alter an outcome that on 90% of other stages would have went the other way it needs to be fixed. That is not good for tournaments, showing of skills, or anything.

I'll give you a better example. I come from a Tekken background. I love almost all fighters and compete higher in some than others, but I've competed at the highest levels of Tekken tourneys since Tekken 3. I don't know how well you know Tekken but I'll give you an example of where I'm getting with this.

Tekken 4 Jin.

This dude had it ALL. The two hit string that was +3 on block and + 8 on hit. The D4 poke that took 16%, yes 16%. His Godfist. Best wall game. A parry that left you at +20 in "do whatever you want" mode. That same parry whiffed was like -1 or -2. And most of all, THE JFLS!!!!!! The omega Godly JFLS that was a minimum 60% damage, and if combo'd correctly you were dishing out 90% MINIMUM!!!!! MINIMUM!!!!! This is just off the top of my head, as I'm sure there's more I can't remember since it was a while ago. Made Kabal look C-Tier.

This char was BROKEN. Simple as that. The 1st few months Jin users tried to deny it but they knew. The entire community still complains to this day if its brought up!

If this was today's era of gaming Jin would've been nerfed the very 1st patch without question. Unless of course, everyone just "shut up and got better" like they had to back then. Well you know where that led to? Top 8's filled with 6 Jin's, my Lee, and CIA's Lin. Top 8's with 6 Jin's a Steve and JinMaster switching to Nina. Top 8's with a minimum of 6 Jin's for the rest of the games life because people didn't have an option to speak out for change to happen.

I don't want to see this game go down the road of, "every Small vs Power char is 50/50 rooftop 50/50 other stage". Which I can see eventually happening unless the stage is fixed in some type of capacity. If people think there's something to fix that would help balance the game they should always speak out.

And f*ck Jin. I've hate him forever because of T4.

Benzo

Vic Stone
Ha T4 Jin. Just mentioning him makes me feel so old. Most of these youngsters don't even remember those days. Back in those days there're wasn't a "quick fix", just had to deal with it. Those were the were the golden ages of fighters. Remember how bad TTT was? Good ol broken fun, damn I missed the days were people took their bitching and put it towards training.
I like this thread. At the end of the day though I agree most with Runaway. Effective training is the best way to get better, and if course plenty of matches.

Bane has an infinite with a 26f window to loop it meaning it is easily executable under any circumstances.

Lobo has a glitch that allows his b3/f3 to hit full screen when loaded with nuke shells

Green arrow has a glitch that allows him to move after the fight is over which allows you to teabag dead people

Harley has a glitch that causes her trait to be a useless box of Acme products

TYM has a glitch that causes any thread started to derail.

IGAU has a glitch that inflates some peoples egos and other peoples tear ducts

feedyourcatbro

Meow Lin
There's a difference between a logical argument and errant whining. Problem is, there's just so much of the latter that TYM tends to just lump any balance discussion in with the bitching. While it isn't to say NRS can't make mistakes, a LOT of players (including good ones) tend to overblow nerfs without taking the time to discuss and think about them properly.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Ahhh yes. "Shut up and get better." It's a phrase that we've all heard at some point in our fighting game experiences. Whether your enraged about how you lost or whether you're innocently stating your opinion on why something might be overpowered or broken, you are almost guaranteed to be smacked a few times with "Shut up and get better," "Learn to play," or something along those lines.

While I do agree with the message itself, I just want to call to attention the hippocrisy that is often coupled with this statement.

For example: Player A picks a power character, and Player B picks an acrobat character. Stage select chooses Metro rooftop, a stage with respawning interactables (with stupid big hitboxes) that can be thrown by power characters, but not by acrobats. Player A is a decent player, but Player B demonstrates throughout the match that he is the better player at a fundamental level as far as punishes, spacing, blocking etc go. The match is close, however, at the end of the match, Player A emerges victorious by virtue of interactables.

Player B, obviously frustrated, says to Player A "wow, really? that's how I lose?" to which Player A responds "Shut up and get better."

Now, I understand that is a rather extreme example (and the purpose of this thread is to not pick apart that one example), however my point is the saying of "shut up and get better" is said by a player who is not very good at all, or at least won the match in a way that, to put it bluntly, isn't very indicative of the player having "skill" or "being better." To me, it would be like a boxing match in which one boxer payed the ref off and was delivering cheap shots the entire match, and after the other boxer disputes the ref says "shut up and get better."

TL;DR My question is this, basically... How much merit does "Shut up and get better" have if it's coming from the mouth (or fingers) from someone who either isn't very good at all, or is abusing something that is "questionably balanced" because they themselves know they aren't very good?

I haven't read through the whole thread, just skimmed through some posts.

To be frank, Shadow, it is never a good idea to start a conversation over topics like this because as you can clearly see...the casual players and the tournament players will never see eye-to-eye. Some, like yourself, play fighting games simply to fascinate themselves with their personal definition of epic matches, while others will do whatever it takes to climb up to the top of the mountain all while abusing whatever the game allows. Now there's nothing wrong with either mentality whatsoever, but part of playing fighting games is having to accept that you will inevitably meet players from the other side of the line.

As for your question about hypocrisy behind the sentiment of "Shut up and get better," I would say that the only possible hypocrisy it can have is if the player who utters those words disregards his own advice when he loses in later matches. Otherwise, whether you're talking about Injustice's interactables/stage transitions or anything else from other games that can drastically turn a match towards a player's favor...as long as it doesn't violate tournament rules, a win is a win. It won't matter if one player looked more skillful than the other, the outcome speaks the loudest. I know it may sound harsh, but such is the nature of vying for dominance.

And your comparison regarding a boxing match makes little to no sense to me. Now, I'm no boxing fan, so blast me on this if I'm wrong, but I'd think it was illegal to "pay the ref off" so the ref practically swings a match in favor of the player who paid him. Referees and commentators have to be absolutely neutral with both players in any form of competition.

You are describing two scenarios with entirely unrelated circumstances. In one, both players are playing within what a game allows with no outside interference, and in the other scenario, the referee ventures outside his boundaries to affect a match's outcome, thus breaking the very rules he's supposed to enforce, unlike in the previous scenario.

Regardless, I know what you are trying to say. My advice is to either accept the game for whatever non-skill-related elements it may have, or simply play people who share your views, or disregard the game altogether. With all this talk of Injustice's interactables, you'd think people weren't using the option to disable them at the stage select screen. It is there for that very reason, though only for casuals...unless the tournament scene does decide to ban interactables.

Another bit of advice, but this one goes to the competitive players posting in here: you are not wrong to say or think what you do, but ultimately, not all players share the same goal of striving for victory at any cost, but rather to be entertained in their own way. You will never get the casual players to see your way of things, so stop trying to. Just leave them be and work towards your own goals, there's nothing that can dissuade you from that except yourselves. Conversely, I also ask that the casual players not crucify the more serious players for pressing whatever advantages they have on their quest to win.

I'm not amazing at this game and I think Superman is a giant pile of unbalanced bullshit, but I've never jumped on here to create a thread demanding he be nerfed and just committed myself to learning the matchup.

But then I played Hakan in SF4 so perhaps my tolerance for actually having to learn matchups is well worn.

I don't play SF4, but I have heard multiple commentators say that Hakan would possibly be the best character in the game if he was always oiled up. You must not agree.

I don't play SF4, but I have heard multiple commentators say that Hakan would possibly be the best character in the game if he was always oiled up. You must not agree.
I think that's somewhat tongue in cheek; he's a scary grappler when he's oiled, but most wins he's had at majors have been due to people being unfamiliar with his shenanigans because few people play Hakan. Also, his shenanigans require you to learn specific setups for over half the cast because individual characters require specific timing unique to them, hence me talking about learning matchups. I remember when I first picked him up I ended up like 8th ranked in NA without even reaching A or A+ because nobody was using him.

There's a reason Hakan is usually listed near the bottom of tier lists next to Dan.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I'm probably way late... Buttttttttt...

Tier whoring is in no way "adapting". If anything i would consider it upgrading.

A flip phone cannot compete with a smart phone. Sure, it has the tools to get shit done, but if i want to be 100%, and i still have a razr from 03, it's time for an upgrade.

Of course, its your choice weather or not you want to keep current and up to par with the best, but if you don't, its your own fault.

#Real life
#All day
#Video games
#Bitches
#Top tier
#Getting nerfed
#You ever go night night nigga?