What's new

Discussion - "Shut up and get better"

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
Character selection: Picking a character is just as much a part of a fighting game as any fundamental skill such as spacing or whiff punishing. Unfortunately two terms came about, tier-whore and low tier hero, and if I could I would wipe them from existence. Ever since I started taking fighting games more seriously (not tournament serious, I just love them) and became a part of the community I've constantly seen people saying things like, "Pick characters you like," or "Pick characters that are fun to play, but whatever you do DON'T TIER WHORE!" Which I find quite strange because characters with more tools, i.e. top-tier characters, are almost always more fun to play.

Whose to say how much someone likes a character anyway? Batman is my favorite character from any fictional universe, not just DC or comic books, and yet I don't play him because I know he'll get tonnes of exposure, and just because I like the skin a character model has doesn't mean I like their tool set or play style. It was the same with MvC3, everyone complained about how popular Dante was online,"Ugh I can't go a single match without running into a Dante. . .stupid tier whores!" Well what did you expect? He's easily one of Capcoms most popular characters (people lost their minds because they gave the guy a fucking haircut) and he's really good, why wouldn't he be one of the most used characters?

If you accept a job to build a fence, which requires digging holes for the posts, and your boss hands you a shovel (top-tier) and a spoon (low-tier) he's not going to give you props for picking the spoon, he's going to think you're an idiot. I know it's a silly and a outlandish comparison but I don't care.

The truly humorous part of it all is, I've seen so many topics on different forums from games like: Call of Duty, MMORPG'S, Fighting Games etc asking about which character/gun/class is underused or the least popular because they don't want to tier-whore, or they want to different. Essentially they're going out of their way to avoid a character or class that they might love playing because other people play said character or class, not because they love whatever they're picking.

I'm also aware that seeing underused characters is exciting (everyone likes an underdog), but avoiding a character just because it's popular is just as bad as tier-whoring. I myself like mid-tier characters because they're usually the most balanced, but do I deserve respect or props for not pick Batman or Superman? Absolutely not. Same goes for the low-tier guys. I kind of want to start picking top-tier just to spite people.
Holy fuck this came out of nowhere.

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
Character selection: Picking a character is just as much a part of a fighting game as any fundamental skill such as spacing or whiff punishing. Unfortunately two terms came about, tier-whore and low tier hero, and if I could I would wipe them from existence. Ever since I started taking fighting games more seriously (not tournament serious, I just love them) and became a part of the community I've constantly seen people saying things like, "Pick characters you like," or "Pick characters that are fun to play, but whatever you do DON'T TIER WHORE!" Which I find quite strange because characters with more tools, i.e. top-tier characters, are almost always more fun to play.

Whose to say how much someone likes a character anyway? Batman is my favorite character from any fictional universe, not just DC or comic books, and yet I don't play him because I know he'll get tonnes of exposure, and just because I like the skin a character model has doesn't mean I like their tool set or play style. It was the same with MvC3, everyone complained about how popular Dante was online,"Ugh I can't go a single match without running into a Dante. . .stupid tier whores!" Well what did you expect? He's easily one of Capcoms most popular characters (people lost their minds because they gave the guy a fucking haircut) and he's really good, why wouldn't he be one of the most used characters?

If you accept a job to build a fence, which requires digging holes for the posts, and your boss hands you a shovel (top-tier) and a spoon (low-tier) he's not going to give you props for picking the spoon, he's going to think you're an idiot. I know it's a silly and a outlandish comparison but I don't care.

The truly humorous part of it all is, I've seen so many topics on different forums from games like: Call of Duty, MMORPG'S, Fighting Games etc asking about which character/gun/class is underused or the least popular because they don't want to tier-whore, or they want to different. Essentially they're going out of their way to avoid a character or class that they might love playing because other people play said character or class, not because they love whatever they're picking.

I'm also aware that seeing underused characters is exciting (everyone likes an underdog), but avoiding a character just because it's popular is just as bad as tier-whoring. I myself like mid-tier characters because they're usually the most balanced, but do I deserve respect or props for not pick Batman or Superman? Absolutely not. Same goes for the low-tier guys. I kind of want to start picking top-tier just to spite people.
Just got done reading. Well I agree people shouldn't avoid a character because they are top tier. But didn't you just say you don't play batman because he would get too much exposure? What does that mean? Because he's top tier? Also I think people choose lower tier Guns/Characters for whatever game because maybe they got bored of the game being too easy and want to challenge themselves. Also its A LOT more gratifying beating a Pre Patch Deathstroke with lets say a Lobo. Its an amazing feat of excellence. Almost like a 100-1 comeback in hockey.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!

I don't know... I enjoy being a low-tier warrior. I enjoy being a hipster? I mean to be honest I have to give props to people not using high-tier characters. If I see some high-level Shang Tsung gameplay... I am much more impressed than if I see some high-level Kung Lao gameplay. I will always be a low-tier warrior... but I am not afraid to pick a top-tier character if I like them. Deathstroke or Batman are two examples... but I still grind it out with Bane. :p

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U

There is line when casual play is involved. In matches when money is involved of course you'd be stupid to not pick the best character, but some characters are very close in the top. This is where counterpicking and such come up.

In casual play, people generally either want to practice or fun. Unless you are practicing for comp, picking the best character usually detracts from the other players enjoyment.

I dont want to use the #1 character in the game because, whilst you tend to win more, you lose respect and meet less friendly people to interact with. When I learned how stupidly good BA was in terms of use and overall usefulness, I dropped him for Sinestro/Frost.

Ive basically picked up this habit from SF and Smash.

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
There is line when casual play is involved. In matches when money is involved of course you'd be stupid to not pick the best character, but some characters are very close in the top. This is where counterpicking and such come up.

In casual play, people generally either want to practice or fun. Unless you are practicing for comp, picking the best character usually detracts from the other players enjoyment.

I dont want to use the #1 character in the game because, whilst you tend to win more, you lose respect and meet less friendly people to interact with. When I learned how stupidly good BA was in terms of use and overall usefulness, I dropped him for Sinestro/Frost.

GO SINESTRO!

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I find it humorous that you are attempting to insult my intelligence. Go back to the post I quoted... look at the two highlighted phrases in BLUE. You will then see that the two sentences are antithetical (contradictory). It is not my obligation to use words that you understand. To be perfectly honest I don't know why you think I am trying to act intelligent... I guess I will take that as a compliment. I mean... perhaps you should learn some elementary grammatical rules before you attempt to message anyone. Start by capitalizing your sentences... stop slicing commas... use the correct words (rebuttled isn't a word). I guess your competence can only be measured by the understanding of my post. Clearly you don't have the capacity to understand the difference between rebutting a point in a hypothetical scenario conceived by yourself and using defense mechanisms that do not aid your point. However, it is all forgivable. Surely you will learn something from all of this. Hopefully you start by capitalizing your sentences. Thank you for reading... if you can. :joker:
well, gah, nevermind. I guess typos don't exist in your land of perfectopia. But before you get all Radical Grammar-Nazi on me, make sure you have perfect punctuation.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

This guy gets it. Way to go!

Czarface

#GiveBarakaAChance

I don't know, I understand where you're coming from, I just find it strange that people say,"Pick whoever you like the most," and get upset when it's a good character. Like I said, I like mid-tier characters because I don't feel like I won the match because of the character and I don't feel like I'm handicapping myself. I guess it just surprises me that people will go out of their way to be different just for the sake of being different and wear it like a badge of honor and if everyone was like that then you'd never see the top characters and they would be the underdogs, wouldn't they? Which would be really strange.

I mean I feel the same way, I essentially avoid top-tier characters like BA (who I fucking love as a character) because he's good, which makes me a hypocrite and is contradictory to my own opinion. I'm handicapping my own enjoyment of the game for other people.

(King_Quinn you are 100% right, I'm a complete hypocrite when it comes to this.)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Use Raven's ult when they're near a throwable interactable
Full screen grab to punish
or
Teleport behind to punish
I NEVER have enough meter to do a Super. Never.

When I'm in Demon Stance screen grab whiffs when they're in the air with it.

Pillars in stance comes out to slow and I get hit.

Teleport however works wonders. It's the only thing I found that works consistently. I try to save it on that stage till right when it's respawning if possible and combo galore that ass off teleport when they jump.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
COD: World At War.

MP40 on all close to mid range stages.

30, 35, and 40 kill matches, destroying the scoreboard.

Cared less.

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
I don't know, I understand where you're coming from, I just find it strange that people say,"Pick whoever you like the most," and get upset when it's a good character. Like I said, I like mid-tier characters because I don't feel like I won the match because of the character and I don't feel like I'm handicapping myself. I guess it just surprises me that people will go out of their way to be different just for the sake of being different and wear it like a badge of honor and if everyone was like that then you'd never see the top characters and they would be the underdogs, wouldn't they? Which would be really strange.

I mean I feel the same way, I essentially avoid top-tier characters like BA (who I fucking love as a character) because he's good, which makes me a hypocrite and is contradictory to my own opinion. I'm handicapping my own enjoyment of the game for other people.

(King_Quinn you are 100% right, I'm a complete hypocrite when it comes to this.)

Its not just that, I dont get enjoyment for using the best tool or the same strategy 100% of the time. For a character like BA I dont really need to learn any other characters, simple as that. When I learned Frost even a mediocre Hawkgirl gave me loads of trouble and my previous main Sinestro had the options to deal with stuff like that. Variety keeps me playing the game and losing matchups teaches me the skill of knowing your opponents character well enough to counter with another one.

I love Black Adam as a character, but I hate how you just blend in with the thousand other ones. People make names for themselves by doing unique things in life, and that is true in games. Its never hype to see Superman vs Black Adam ever, and Id never want to be a part of that.

Its the mentality that comes from playing for specifically money. Basically I hear, "Well since steroids are allowed, everyone should do them or be at a disadvantage" type arguement. It certainly holds value for people who play specifically for the cash, but I dont rely on just the money that comes from tournies and I value my fun alot as well as meeting people who I can continue to play/practice against.

But go ahead, go play Superman/Black Adam on Rooftop, if you enjoy it fine. Its just something that is looked down upon by many.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Who cares if it is looked down upon? Especially if I am going to home with the money and you aren't. What a scrub mentality, putting your own rules on how you play the game that are mot necessary. Give me a break.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I NEVER have enough meter to do a Super. Never.

When I'm in Demon Stance screen grab whiffs when they're in the air with it.

Pillars in stance comes out to slow and I get hit.

Teleport however works wonders. It's the only thing I found that works consistently. I try to save it on that stage till right when it's respawning if possible and combo galore that ass off teleport when they jump.

Ahhh sorry I meant demon form. Dunno why I said ult.

Czarface

#GiveBarakaAChance
I'm confused. Didn't I agree with you? I said I don't use BA because he's top-tier, I also said I understand that everyone likes an underdog. I'm advocating for picking whoever you want, whether it's top-tier or low-tier. What happens if Superman gets nerfed into oblivion next patch? I guess it's suddenly Superman players that are the "Heroes" of the community.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
So why doesnt everyone play the same character then?
Because not everybody has the same skills as a player. For example, I played cage in mk9. In tournament I ran into Curbolicious and Reo and I constantly played against Ermacio's kabal. I tried counterpicking, I even tried kabal. But the fact was, cage worked for me as a character and no matter how much effort I put into a different one, I was always going to do my best with cage. Against Reo I happened to guess right a lot (hit him with 5 shadow kicks in a row lol) and did okay, although I still lost. Against Curbo, I got embarrassed on stream. But I'm not going to hold it against them that they were good enough and had the right skills to play kabal, more power to them. They are great, intelligent players that I look up to. It is my fault that I couldn't find a way around it. Maybe I should have played kenshi. Maybe I should have played Kung Lao. MAybe I should have stuck to my guns and outplayed them in a terrible matchup. That is for me to figure out, not them.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Who plays video games just for money?That's the stupidest thing I've heard. :rolleyes:
Okay not necessarily for money, but most people here play because they enjoy getting better and they enjoy WINNING, If you derive enjoyment from losing in the name of character variety, be my guest. Just don't bitch about it when it happens.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Or you know people can disregard tier lists all together and play who they like.

Silly idea I know.
You can do that too! I fully advocate playing for fun as well, there is room for both. Thedifference is, in my mind I diffrentiate when it matters (tournament, serious sets, playing to learn) and when it doesn't (online casuals for example). I have a shazam that I play on the side when I am trying to relax, but I will never play him when there is something on the line.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Okay not necessarily for money, but most people here play because they enjoy getting better and they enjoy WINNING, If you derive enjoyment from losing in the name of character variety, be my guest. Just don't bitch about it when it happens.
I don't give a fuck about tier lists I don't care if some smuck says a character I like is high or low tier I play who I want and win or lose,nerf or buff I'll stick with them.