What's new

Question - Summoner Dink's Summoner Match Up Chart!(Updated 10/30/15)

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Damage shouldn't be the only thing that's considered here. Like @Derptile said, Cutthroat can get some really solid damage numbers midscreen, but that's not really the point. This matchup feels a lot like Dudley vs. Dhalsim (If you play Ultra) in the sense that Dhalsim wins the matchup full screen but loses when Dudley gets in. I feel this is a very similar scenario, because Quan has fuck-all for armored reversal options. Kano can freely 50/50 you to death and be safe without meter (which Quan sometimes needs if you don't have a bat out). This really boils down to how you want to play the matchup. If you think you can outzone the player and not let him in (Or at least minimize his success when he does) then play Summoner, if you think you can't outzone the player, pick Warlock. I honestly see this as a 5-5 (Summoner vs Cutthroat) maybe...MAYBE a 6-4 in Cutthroat's favor

I can see Cyber and Commando having troubles with this matchup (Commando I am still on the fence about being bad against this variation just because of all the great armor he has, but at the end of the day he probably loses to Summoner.)
For sure,damage was really only one point. Quan I believe also outzones him, has 30% unbreakable combos midscreen. So up close they both have safe 50/50s, with quan having the poorer defense but winning in almost every other aspect of the match Which is why I think he has the edge purely from a tools perspective, in no way do I think cutthroat gets owned lol. Sorry I should have elaborated more before but I was at work and kinda rushed my answer lol

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
For sure,damage was really only one point. Quan I believe also outzones him, has 30% unbreakable combos midscreen. So up close they both have safe 50/50s, with quan having the poorer defense but winning in almost every other aspect of the match Which is why I think he has the edge purely from a tools perspective, in no way do I think cutthroat gets owned lol. Sorry I should have elaborated more before but I was at work and kinda rushed my answer lol
I can dig it, man, but I still feel it's in Kano's favor when he knocks down Quan, and in Quan's favor when he has Kano blocking/full screen. I haven't really played Summoner, but I do play Sorcerer so I got a pretty decent base understanding of Quans mixups and gameplan. 30% unbreakable damage is also no joke, for sure, but Quan has gaps in his safe mixup pressure and Kano has the armor to deal with it (EX Ball cancel). Whereas, Kano has gaps after his safe mixup strings, but Quan doesn't have any armor to deal with it. I'm not saying you think this, but defense is more than just getting off the ground. I think everything should be considered.

Kano is kinda fucked full screen (Air Ball and a well placed knife can help) and has to rely on proper patience and blocking while the Quan player is just biding his time to touch him for a mixup and do it all over again.

What specifically do you think Quan beats Kano when you say, "in almost every other aspect of the match"?

I actually really like this matchup (Quan as a whole). It's both characters with just great offense but controlling different spaces.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I agree with the list for the most part. I will say that sorceror vs. Venemous Dvorah always seemed way in his favor i.e free as fluff.

Edit: I just realized this was summoner only. Whoops.

STB Shujinkydink

I can dig it, man, but I still feel it's in Kano's favor when he knocks down Quan, and in Quan's favor when he has Kano blocking/full screen. I haven't really played Summoner, but I do play Sorcerer so I got a pretty decent base understanding of Quans mixups and gameplan. 30% unbreakable damage is also no joke, for sure, but Quan has gaps in his safe mixup pressure and Kano has the armor to deal with it (EX Ball cancel). Whereas, Kano has gaps after his safe mixup strings, but Quan doesn't have any armor to deal with it. I'm not saying you think this, but defense is more than just getting off the ground. I think everything should be considered.

Kano is kinda fucked full screen (Air Ball and a well placed knife can help) and has to rely on proper patience and blocking while the Quan player is just biding his time to touch him for a mixup and do it all over again.

What specifically do you think Quan beats Kano when you say, "in almost every other aspect of the match"?

I actually really like this matchup (Quan as a whole). It's both characters with just great offense but controlling different spaces.
Well it think we both agree quan wins full screen. They have similar damage, I think quans is higher for less meter with 41% midscreen meterless and 52% corner one bar, 64% corner 2 bars. Kano does have gaps in his strings but quan can take advantage with his great backdash into a b2 whiff punish. Not the best option but it's still an option lol.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Well it think we both agree quan wins full screen. They have similar damage, I think quans is higher for less meter with 41% midscreen meterless and 52% corner one bar, 64% corner 2 bars. Kano does have gaps in his strings but quan can take advantage with his great backdash into a b2 whiff punish. Not the best option but it's still an option lol.
DAMN YOU!!! JUST AGREE WITH ME!!!!!

jk man you make some good points, but I still think it's a good 5-5. Agree to disagree brotha

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Teleports, his f2 b2b2b2 shenanigans for 1...I just play tooooooo many scorpions online
They're probably not playing the character to his full potential. Ninjitsu is most likely Scorpions best variation right now with the high damage into standing resets. His F2 and B2 are incredible whiff punishers with great range. If the Scorpion player baits out one bad poke from Quan Chi the match can turn around very quickly. Ninjitsu is a lot stronger than people think.

lil freshie11

sargentsackslap
I'm curious as to what makes Outlaw an even matchup but marksman a winning matchup for quan. Also, I disagree with Ninjutsu being a free matchup. At best, i see it as a winning matchup for quan.
i would think outlaw is better suited for the matchup because the armored launcher to escape pressure outweighs any of marksmans zoning or gun cancels

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@General M2Dave maybe you have a different opinion? My only real summoner experience is against you.
I think the match is either even or slightly in Quan Chi's favor. Ninjutsu has the better footsies, but Summoner has the better vortex and full screen zoning. I would like to see Scorpion players punish b+3,2 and b+3,2 xx EX rune with EX leg take down.

This matchup feels a lot like Dudley vs. Dhalsim (If you play Ultra) in the sense that Dhalsim wins the matchup full screen but loses when Dudley gets in.
Honestly, every match feels like Dhalsim vs. Dudley when you play Quan Chi. You can have a 70% life lead, get knocked down, and still lose.

By the way, I think Mournful may be a bill. I fought Sonic Fox and Royal Storm does a lot more damage. Nothing is ever below 35%. Kitana also seems to have one of the fastest walk speeds in the game. I had issues checking well-spaced d+1s with something. d+3 is out of reach while b+2 is too slow. Kitana also has a 12F reversal attack that punishes b+3,2 and b+3,2 xx EX rune. Quan Chi may still go even with or beat her, but I felt like I was fighting 16 Bit's Kitana in Mortal Kombat 9.

STB Shujinkydink

By the way, I think Mournful may be a bill. I fought Sonic Fox and Royal Storm does a lot more damage. Nothing is ever below 35%. Kitana also seems to have one of the fastest walk speeds in the game. I had issues checking well-spaced d+1s with something. d+3 is out of reach while b+2 is too slow. Kitana also has a 12F reversal attack that punishes b+3,2 and b+3,2 xx EX rune. Quan Chi may still go even with or beat her, but I felt like I was fighting 16 Bit's Kitana in Mortal Kombat 9.
Did you try B1?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I've heard so many people say Summoner vs Imposter/BS is in QC favor or even at worst. Why is it disadvantage here? Isn't QC basically a "I do this better than you" version of Imposter?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Brawler Cassie is difficult for Summoner, but Hollywood is even? I think you should swap those 2 variations
Brawler: projectile can't be used in this matchup. Has some very punishable mixups, lacks F34
Hollywood: iagun can hit you out of Quan ia skull (because of faster startup) and his garbage teleport, can jump over and dodge rune. It means that if Cassie has a life lead she has something to deal with Quan fullscreen away, unlike Brawler who must chase everyone down. If Quan got hit by Cassie it might be a pain in the ass since her nut punch is from +5 to +19
There is something I'm not sure: Quan can interrupt Cassie's B124 with d1. Can someone help me test this? You can try using Mileena reversal roll Cassie's B124 if her 8f roll hits (not trade with the last hit) then his 6f d1 can do that too