What's new

Question - Summoner Dink's Summoner Match Up Chart!(Updated 10/30/15)

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Hey all! Just wanted to post my thoughts on Summoner. And i wanted to post the first TRUE Match up chart, and I mean BY VARIATION!! This is all subject to change and could be wrong based on my experience but was hoping we could all discuss and come to some more concrete conclusions! All my opinions are revelead firstly to the #Bonehawks on my stream, and they had some interesting points! What do you think?

Losing MUs:

Quan has good damage, and great 50/50s therefore is almost always in the fight. These characters are the ones that are more likely to get their offense going than quan, and once started, he has few options out of.

Kobu Jutsu Tanya
Shirai Ryu Takeda
Dragons Fire Liu Kang

Difficult MUs:

These are ones in which Quan is at a slight disadvantage as far as getting his offense going as opposed to his opponents, but still fairly even as far as damage output and tools go

Master of Souls Ermac
Imposter Shinnok
Bone Shaper Shinnok

Grandmaster Sub Zero
Hish Qu ten Predator
Hunter Predator
Tempest Kung Lao
Brawler Cassie Cage
Outlaw Erron Black
Metallic Tremor

Even MUs:

I feel these Mus are completely even and is all about who gets started first with no single character having an advantage over the other

Covert Ops Sonya Blade
Ruthless/Vicious Ferra Torr
Thunder God Raiden

Lasher Takeda
Demolition Sonya Blade
A-List Johnny Cage
Stunt Double Johnny Cage
Hollywood Cassie Cage
Sorcerer Quan Chi
Pumped up Jax
Heavy Weapons Jax
Relentless Jason Vorhees
Sun God Kotal Kahn
War God Kotal Kahn
Swarm Queen D'Vorah
Flame Fist Liu Kang
Tigrar Fury Goro
Summoner Quan Chi
Wrestler Jax
Gunslinger Erron Black
Aftershock Tremor
Crystalline Tremor

Winning MUs:

These are MUs where Quan deals more damage, and has more options than his opponent. Opponent still has tools to stay in the MU, but has to take advantage of more opportunities.

Marksman Erron Black
Piercing Mileena
Ravenous Mileena
Balanced Kenshi
Possessed Kenshi
Royal Storm Kitana
Mournful Kitana
Assassin Kitana
Hellfire Scorpion
Inferno Scorpion
Buzz Saw Kung Lao
Noxious reptile
Necromancer Shinnok
Cryomancer Sub Zero
Ronin takeda
Spec Ops Cassie Cage
Bojutsu Kung Jin
Shaolin Kung Jin
Pyromancer Tanya
Warlock Quan Chi
Lackey Ferra Torr
Deceptive Reptile
Fisticuffs Johnny Cage
Cutthroat Kano
Commando Kano
Cybernetic Kano
Slasher Jason
Unstoppable Jason
Venomous D'Vorah
Shotgun Jacqui

Free as Fluff MUs:

These MUs require quan to simutaneously enjoy a cup of netherrealm tea as he dismantles his opponents while talking to his mother on the phone.

Full Auto Jacqui
High Tech Jacqui
Brood Mother D'Vorah
Blood God Kotal Kahn
Dualist Liu Kang
Hat Trick Kung Lao
Unbreakable Sub Zero
Ninjitsu Scorpion
Special Forces Sonya Blade
Kuatan Warrior Goro
Dragon Fangs Goro
Dragon Naughty Naughty Tanya
Nimble Reptile
Ancestral Kung Jin

Little to no experience in these MUs

Kenjutsu Kenshi
Master of Storms raiden
Displacer Raiden
Etherreal Mileena
Mystic Ermac
spectral Ermac

Last edited:

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
Was curious as to why Shotgun Jacqui isnt in the Free section alongside Full Auto. What gives Shotgun a better chance than Full-Auto in this matchup?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Interesting. I would honestly move Kobu Jitsu and Tempest up to losing matches, they're hard for sure.

Hish Qu Ten is 5-5 I'd say because you can react to his mixups, it's not like he has unrelenting offense that mixes Quan up.

I agree with most of the chart tho

Ryncage

Noob
Would put gm sub under even match. The offense he brings to the table isnt on par compared to the rest of that group, and your just giving too much respect to clone. Quan has multiple safe ways out of a corner after guessing correctly once, and wuan vortex is a huan vortex. Maybe on casuals id say difficult is right but i wouldnt judge an mu list on that.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
IMO Dragon's Fire and Cutthroat both beat Summoner Quan Chi, Dragon's fire being alot an Cutthroat being 4-6 or so.

Also I can't see how A-List or Stunt Double don't have an advantage over him.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
I'm curious as to what makes Outlaw an even matchup but marksman a winning matchup for quan. Also, I disagree with Ninjutsu being a free matchup. At best, i see it as a winning matchup for quan.

All of Brawler Cassie's approaches are vulnerable to njp. That's huge, considering how badly she gets zoned by Quan.

I can't see this match up being any worse than 5-5 for Quan.

JJV Phoenix

I'm not Vak goddamnit
I mostly agree.
Personally, I'd move Kobu Jutsu up.

Why've you found Brawler more difficult than Hollywood? @STB Shujinkydink
Only explanation I can think of (as a Quan and Cassie player) is the mix-up between command grab/takedown(hell, maybe even a throw) off her 212 that gives more opportunities to put Quan on his back in a HKD situation. Not sure if that's enough to tip the matchup to "winning" for Brawler over Hollywood, since if he guesses right she's pretty open to full combo punishes.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Imposter is a really tough matchup for any of Quan's variations, but would you mind speaking on it a little? He lacks the projectile and 3/4 screen armored low, and aside from F2, his range is pretty bad. What are Imposter players using to get in on you? Hell Sparks dissapear on hit, so if you're outside of jump range, you can rune on reaction to stuff sparks. Air teleport is pretty easily punished if its done higher than the first 1/4 of his jump arc.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Only explanation I can think of (as a Quan and Cassie player) is the mix-up between command grab/takedown(hell, maybe even a throw) off her 212 that gives more opportunities to put Quan on his back in a HKD situation. Not sure if that's enough to tip the matchup to "winning" for Brawler over Hollywood, since if he guesses right she's pretty open to full combo punishes.
I personally find it tougher to get out of the corner and it's hard to zone her with such good strings. She's not totally helpless. @Sage Leviathan

For shotgun I had it there because of her vortex. Quan still beats her, she just has an option.

Sun god I think is even because of the great damage off his tick throws, and the frisbee isn't a bad projectile in this mu.

This is like I stated all in my experience :)

How is Brawler Cassie a bad matchup for Quan? I main Brawler and if I'm outside b1 range, it's next to impossible to win, and if I'm at full screen, the round is practically over. Hollywood seems better since you not only have a better fullscreen option in air guns, but you also have better corner pressure once you're on offense.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
Glad to see Dink get a good as hell Quan Chi redesigned character.

MKX made up for years of abuse he suffered in MK9 Johnny, Sonya, Kenshi, Kitana lol. Somehow he got by the Kabal and Kung Lao wave.

Poor Quan Chi got killed in story mode, RIP Woolay
Death is only the beginning for our beloved Quan Chi

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I would like your thoughts on the Kano matchup. Specifically Cutthroat and Kommando
Currently I'm free to Cutthroat if that jerk gets close to me. I got sent to loser's in my local recently because of the command grabs keeping locked in the corner. He was a VERY good Kano player though.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I would place MoS Raiden in the Fluffin Free category. His setups are cool, but easily blockable. I have a friend that plays around with that variation. Quan can typically neutralize his trap setups before they are a threat.

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
@OP, why do you feel Kano is completely a winning matchup for QC? I'm not disagreeing, just want your thoughts specifically.

Hm, curious to why you have jason vs quan as even? Has good armor for the gaps, and a great neutral game but can't lock down Quan on knockdown like a lot of the cast. Hit for hit it just seems to work out better for quan since he gets you in the blender. Better pokes, great whiff punishes etc. I can see it as even, with Jason's midscreen control, red screen BS etc, just curious to hear the points of why.