What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Cassie Cage "Did You Just Say Kick My @$%?" - The Cassie Cage Matchup Thread.

Let's talk about GM Sub-zero matchup and how it is butt chicks and how i think it should be played. I mean, i don't have an amazing tech, that will magically make it your favour, but rather a basic strategy, that'll make it less frustrating and more entertaining.

Sub-zero can place his clone safely right in your face and there is not much you can do afterwards. d+f+1, jump over 3 or some yolo stuff like glow kick. I don't really like those options. His clone is taking care of her best tools like b1 and great pokes. The general in your face nature of this character is getting toned down by lots. On top of that, you get hit once, congratulations, you live in the corner now.

So what i'm doing now is backing off, like staying full screen at all cost, camping interactables just in case i need to escape. I know, it sounds childish and stupid, well, because it is. But from full screen Sub Zero can't do shit. Like 0% damage. His projectiles are easy to avoide. He throws iceball at you - jump forward ~ air guns, he throws his icy friend at you - jump back ~ air guns. Just annoy him, make him come to you. It might take some time, yes, and the strategy that relies on your opponents emotinal state is not the best strategy, obviously, but you wouldn't believe the things i saw some of them,even skilled ones, have been doing. Jumping around like on a pogo stick trying to catch me, running in into slide, like everything they could think of, because most of them don't have a plan B ready for you.

So, yea, the plan is not to win a game by doing nothing, but projectiles, it just won't happen. The plan is to stay away from clone (especially if you have a life lead) and make him do some stuff uncharacteristical for SZ.

This won't make this matchup easier, but it is way better than getting frozen by his clone in a poking game, getting anti-aired by clone or just straight up running into his clone. Try it out.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I've been yoloing b212 through clone, but if he does it too close I get frozen so that sucks.
Now i'm testing braindead j3 after clone, with brawler, and I'm spamming air throw during the active frames of the j3 just in case.
Still, not working always as expected.

Best bet is backdash/block to try to guess if he slides or not.

I've been yoloing b212 through clone, but if he does it too close I get frozen so that sucks.
Now i'm testing braindead j3 after clone, with brawler, and I'm spamming air throw during the active frames of the j3 just in case.
Still, not working always as expected.

Best bet is backdash/block to try to guess if he slides or not.
j3~grab will work like once before they adapt and after that they'll start backdashing, running in into clone or just block and poke, because you're -2 on block, i believe.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
If you want a less shitty time against sub use spec ops. Missiles and missile setups can help you get around the clone meta more reliably than yolo j3 and whatnot @Jer does fine

Reactions: Jer
Not touching this clone ever again. No way. That is my only solution. I've had enough.

Also, i do believe that Spec Ops is better, but SZ still dictates the flow of the game.

Btw, what do you guys think her hardest matchups?

I just picked up Cassie within the last month (Brawler, just so I could have an easier time learning the character from a fresh start). I did fairly well in our last monthly taking 4th overall, but there are a couple of matchups that are bothering me. I haven't seen much insight into these two in particular, so I'll post what I'm having issues with:

1) Ferra/Torra (Vicious): I've played against quite a bit of Lackey as well, but that matchup doesn't feel all that bad. You just have to respect his normals and wakeup and it's very winnable. Vicious, however, is awful. Between his ridiculous full-screen zoning and NJP that just feels like I can't punish it at all, I could really use the help here. For full screen, all I have is gunshot, so what I normally do is wait for him to throw Ferra however he wants, block/jump accordingly, then get in there as fast as I can. This works... sometimes, as I still have to out-footsie him once I'm in there, and that's not a very fun game to play against someone with a d1 as good as Torr's (Ferra's gone during this ordeal). Also, if I'm in there and Ferra IS with him, NJP seems to beat out every option I have, and I get combo'd as well. It's beaten out d2, glow kick, AND EX glow kick, sometimes all in the same round. I'll even block it and throw out a b1 for advance purposes, but he's conditioned to just jump and do it again. Maybe block and do glow kick since he'll jump again? Should I just switch variations as a whole since the others get better use of meter?

2) Johnny Cage (A-List): This one seems significantly more fair, but the footsies battle seems to be primarily determined by one move: Johnny's f3, which is also a combo starter due to cancels, so I have to respect it. It seems to outprioritize most of even Cassie's better normals like b1, f2, and even d4. I haven't tested b2, so maybe that's the next step?

Any help is appreciated, as I have a staggering 3 (!) tournaments to attend over the next week or so and I could really use the assistance. Thanks!

delbuster

hungry
vs ferra torr;
training mode is your best friend. figure out what you can do after you block njP to stop him from doing other stuff.
keeping track of ferra is good as he has p slow normals with ferra on him right? pressure with 212/331 (or is it 332 idk) and d3, it will be hard for him to press buttons. figure out how to convert if you catch him out of the beginning of his jump.

vs johnny cage
this matchup you should be able to threaten outside of johnny's poke range with b1. if you are within johnny's poke range, try back dashing, flip kick, or ex flip kick to reset the space if you want to play more neutral, or just go in for offense if you are at + frames and don't think he will armor.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
just a mu specific thing ive known about for a while but havnt seen anyone mention so thought id share
vs casie if nutpunch trades with overhead rock drop, cassie gets a combo rather than tremor being able to block the next normal.
with overhead lava drop link is much tighter but still possible, ex overhead rock drop midscreen is only really situation she cant get the combo

Please help me against Kotal Khan and Predator.

With Kotal it's really simple. I know that he can't wake up, parry sucks so it doesn't matter, despite that after I use my meter for the 50/50 mixup it's Kotal's turn to pressure me. The damage just kills me, I feel like I'm walking against the wind when facing Blood God. Insanse damage and his totem setups makes him a very hard opponent for me. Any tips against him?

Predator
I usually play against Predator Hunter. The setups in the corner, man ... Do I really have to be lucky to escape that trap/njp/oh madness?