What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Cassie Cage "Did You Just Say Kick My @$%?" - The Cassie Cage Matchup Thread.

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
I'm going over certain characters in a google document. I'll share when I finish with D'Vorah for now.

If I've made any mistakes, please let me know. I'm also going in with 0 knowledge on some of the characters so forgive me for any misinfo or mistakes.

D'Vorah

Moves to look out for

1,1,B2 = High/Mid/Mid = her 6f launcher at -10. 242 this if they mess up their punish on something.

1,1,3 = High/Mid/Overhead. 0 on block. But you can armour/x-ray before the 3 comes out. You can also backdash it but you won’t get to whiff punish it.

B1,2 = Low/Mid = She flies up and the blockstun can be awkward. It’s -9 so 242.

B1,4 = Low/Low. A classic cheesy string. The 2nd low is -11 so 242.

2,4,2 = high/mid/overhead = -15 on block. Do slight walk 242 to punish it.

F1,1 = D’Vorah’s version of Cassie’s b1,2. Hitconfirmable 11f mid mid into a D,F1 followup.

F2,2 = Overhead into mid. -11 on block so punish with Cassie’s 242 and b12 if they do it at a range where 242 will whiff.

F2,2,4 = -7 extension to above string. 242 whiffs midscreen but hits in the corner. This move seems to be safe vs Cassie? D3 doesn’t reach either.

F3,4 = Overhead option, It’s -7 on block so use Cassie’s 242 to punish it.

F3,4, 1+3 = only comes out on hit. Don’t worry about it.

F4,2 = Mid/Low at -11. 242 this.

F4,4 = Mid/Mid at -10. 242 this. The F4 strings seems useless in general but just in case.

Wasp Grenade (Swarm Queen) (D,F1). A pretty slow projectile but it gives a huge advantage on block (+26) and a combo on hit. Some D’Vorah players might like to cancel strings into this for a “slow” CH timing. It will take practice but maybe try and poke her out of it on reaction or armour through. Be careful with EX DB2 however as it can whiff if D’Vorah cancels into it at a range but ex nutcracker (hollywood) does the trick. A popular strat I see with D’Vorah players is to do F1,1 into this move on block to keep the pressure on.

Vortex Swarm (Swarm Queen) D,B1. This is where Cassie’s b1,2, becomes really useful. This is a low hitting special that gives +23 on block and a juggle on hit. The startup is pretty slow though so if D’Vorah does this within b1,2 range, you can try and b1,2 on reaction to get out of the swarm and punish D’Vorah for it. I wouldn’t use Cassie’s gunshots in this matchup much because D’Vorah will always win vs gunshots with this move as it trades in her favour by far.

Ovipositor Charge (All) D,B4. Her reversal move. The normal version is -14 on block and doesn’t seem that useful outside combos. But the ex version is usually her armour move at -11.(According to the menus but it feels like -9 cuz I can never punish it with b12 but I can with 33) Use 242 if you’re upclose, note your range before punishing. It’s also pretty vulnerable to NJ2 so you can use that on wakeup to bait it out and keep pressure on if they didn’t do anything.

(I've only played vs Swarm Queen D'Vorah in offline casuals so if anyone can chip in stuff about Venomous and Brood Mother that'd be gdlk)

Last edited:

Fergus

Posted up about D'Vorah. Anyone know if TYM supports HTML coding? I wanted to put the characters into spoilers to make it cleaner.

Roz

"You will not be remembered."
Posted up about D'Vorah. Anyone know if TYM supports HTML coding? I wanted to put the characters into spoilers to make it cleaner.
Its BB code so instead of using standard tags you would use the same tags except with brackets [ ] instead.

Like this

Fergus

I'll try and cover Scorpion, Mileena and Kotal today. Although I'm going in with 0 knowledge so if anyone has anything big to point out, that'd be appreciated. I'm mostly just going over punishes and maybe some general stuff.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Thanks for this. Devorah gives me serious problems because of the range on her normals. I also didn't know when to press buttons after blocking.

Fergus

Actually, it's probably better if I leave it for a week or 2 so we can allow the meta game to flesh out and then we'll try and come up with anti strategies. Not sure what I'm really looking to counter when I bring them to the lab besides punishing.

Fergus

Yeah I'll have a better idea on how to approach matchups after the tourney tomorrow for certain characters before writing anything up.

And any help is appreciated.

Howdy, not seen this thread get too much love so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on her matchups. I've been playing her pretty much exclusively since day 1 and have a group of players whom I play casuals with.

1) Kitana - The matchup I've played the most and funnily enough, one of the more difficult ones I've encountered. When played well, Kitana's fireball game and keep Cassie out completely, her ground fireball has to be ducked (low block it will eat chip) but you'll have to watch your spacing as she has options to punish you for ducking a fireball at jump-in range. Her air fireball makes it super risky to try and jump her projectiles, eating one of these can leave you on the wrong end of 30% unbreakable damage.

The biggest piece of advice I have in this matchup is to be patient and once you get in, don't let up, be relentless. Your d3 is godlike on wakeup vs her and beats a lot of her options, if she blocks low you can go for a f3xxdb2 and follow up from there. Be careful about her exDP as it blows up pretty much any mixup you try on her.

2) Scorpion - Yea, pain in the ass to play against, what I've noticed the most is similar to the Kitana matchup, you want to be up close. You can punish his 214 string on block with b12 with the correct timing and your d3, again, is a great wakeup option here. If you do find yourself fullscreen away you're going to want to advance slowly watching out for the Kunai and his low hitting inferno grab, both of these will lead into a 30%+ combo if you don't have a breaker ready. His only decent wakeup option seems to be his EX teleport, he'll be able to get a combo from it if you don't block, but it can be punished, unsure of the frames but I've been going with d3, d3 then into a mixup.

3) Kenshi - Only played vs the Balanced variation and my god is it infuriating, trying to get in is really difficult here. I've been playing around with EX glowkick, it gives you a hard knockdown if you land it and will open them up to a d3 into mixup. Kenshi has a decent wakeup that when EX'd will blow up most of what you have but after being hit by it I haven't taken more than 20-25% damage. Hopefully will be playing more vs Kenshi soon.

That's all I've got for now, and these are just my personal experience in casuals, interestingly enough I've played against Kenshi (possessed), Kitana, Scorpion and Sub-Zero all on ranked and have been doing quite well (sitting on 14-0) and haven't seen anyone find an answer to d3... I love that button.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Howdy, not seen this thread get too much love so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on her matchups. I've been playing her pretty much exclusively since day 1 and have a group of players whom I play casuals with.

1) Kitana - The matchup I've played the most and funnily enough, one of the more difficult ones I've encountered. When played well, Kitana's fireball game and keep Cassie out completely, her ground fireball has to be ducked (low block it will eat chip) but you'll have to watch your spacing as she has options to punish you for ducking a fireball at jump-in range. Her air fireball makes it super risky to try and jump her projectiles, eating one of these can leave you on the wrong end of 30% unbreakable damage.

The biggest piece of advice I have in this matchup is to be patient and once you get in, don't let up, be relentless. Your d3 is godlike on wakeup vs her and beats a lot of her options, if she blocks low you can go for a f3xxdb2 and follow up from there. Be careful about her exDP as it blows up pretty much any mixup you try on her.

2) Scorpion - Yea, pain in the ass to play against, what I've noticed the most is similar to the Kitana matchup, you want to be up close. You can punish his 214 string on block with b12 with the correct timing and your d3, again, is a great wakeup option here. If you do find yourself fullscreen away you're going to want to advance slowly watching out for the Kunai and his low hitting inferno grab, both of these will lead into a 30%+ combo if you don't have a breaker ready. His only decent wakeup option seems to be his EX teleport, he'll be able to get a combo from it if you don't block, but it can be punished, unsure of the frames but I've been going with d3, d3 then into a mixup.

3) Kenshi - Only played vs the Balanced variation and my god is it infuriating, trying to get in is really difficult here. I've been playing around with EX glowkick, it gives you a hard knockdown if you land it and will open them up to a d3 into mixup. Kenshi has a decent wakeup that when EX'd will blow up most of what you have but after being hit by it I haven't taken more than 20-25% damage. Hopefully will be playing more vs Kenshi soon.

That's all I've got for now, and these are just my personal experience in casuals, interestingly enough I've played against Kenshi (possessed), Kitana, Scorpion and Sub-Zero all on ranked and have been doing quite well (sitting on 14-0) and haven't seen anyone find an answer to d3... I love that button.
How do you handle Sub Zero Grandmaster ice clones when youre cornered?

How do you handle Sub Zero Grandmaster ice clones when youre cornered?
The simple answer is to not get cornered, but if you're in there and he's keeping you there with ice clones I would suggest using an ex glowkick (it'll break through the clone and still land both hits) Another thing to note is he wont create a clone if you're close enough, so once the current clone has faded you can stay in close and he'll be unable to create a new one without leaving the corner.

Reauxbot

The simple answer is to not get cornered, but if you're in there and he's keeping you there with ice clones I would suggest using an ex glowkick (it'll break through the clone and still land both hits) Another thing to note is he wont create a clone if you're close enough, so once the current clone has faded you can stay in close and he'll be unable to create a new one without leaving the corner.
Appreciate the help bro. My friend was tormenting me in the corner when i finally got a bit of time in with her during lunch.
If im correct you can combo of that dive kick correct

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Appreciate the help bro. My friend was tormenting me in the corner when i finally got a bit of time in with her during lunch.
If im correct you can combo of that dive kick correct
Cassie's bf4 (I think)? It can be comboed off of if the last hit only hits, but if the initial hits hit then it will knockdown. It must be EX'd and you can combo the off regular one if you do it in a juggle that launches them high enough :)

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
The problem with grandmaster Subzero is that they can hide behind the ice clone and wait for you to react to it then punish you. Cassie cage has few options against this in her holly wood and brawler variations. All she can hope to do is Meter burn gunshots, or as I've recently found, she can ex nutpunch and break the clone while still hitting the subzero. It's a fairly good punish if they aren't blocking low but it cost a lot of meter management. Otherwise you just have to wait out the klone and try to pressure

I've been playing around with Grandmaster Subzero for a bit to see what it's like from the other side and I noticed something pretty cool. Whenever I had my practice partner cornered with an iceclone he found out he could jf3 out of the corner, he didn't hit the ice clone and instead traded with my anti-air, this negated the clone and got him out of the corner.

Reauxbot

I've been playing around with Grandmaster Subzero for a bit to see what it's like from the other side and I noticed something pretty cool. Whenever I had my practice partner cornered with an iceclone he found out he could jf3 out of the corner, he didn't hit the ice clone and instead traded with my anti-air, this negated the clone and got him out of the corner.
What if you blocked? Would he/she nust land in thr sculpture? It only negated cause you got hit and traded

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I could be wrong here (I play both) but it could start to become more difficult for her against him both in neutral and corner. Ex freeze blows up getaway kick on block, and with sub constantly running away, your options to get in become limited, both from a meter building standpoint and a footsies standpoint. Cassie has to assert herself in the corner and make sub guess.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
I could be wrong here (I play both) but it could start to become more difficult for her against him both in neutral and corner. Ex freeze blows up getaway kick on block, and with sub constantly running away, your options to get in become limited, both from a meter building standpoint and a footsies standpoint. Cassie has to assert herself in the corner and make sub guess.
The problem is getting sub to the corner. I have full confidence in my corner game and I'm pretty confident in my mid screen footsie, but if I have no way in and he's running when I finally get close, what options do I have? I can only multi gun until I run out of meter and building meter is near impossible in this game if you're the one dealing pressure

Reauxbot

This is more of a spec ops variation to fight with evidently. But that would be Grandmaster mostly. Im not so sure why cryogentic is better. But i hear it is

xQUANTUMx

You have to make him block, play footsies etc. only prob is he can blow up dash ins, d4 check you and clone to back off and you have to hold the clone if you have no meter. On sub's end, he will build tons of meter. Clone, ice blast, ex ice blast if he reads he can trade, and clone throw leaving him slightly plus etc etc

xQUANTUMx

This is more of a spec ops variation to fight with evidently. But that would be Grandmaster mostly. Im not so sure why cryogentic is better. But i hear it is
I've only played against brawler and Hwood Cassie so far. I can't comment on spec ops but if she can trade and/or make sub have to change his game to her advantage then it's prob not a bad thing. His unbreak variation might be able to deal with zoning but I don't have enough exp yet. Personally I've only actually played as brawler and HWood Cassie myself, I should check spec ops out and see what rocket setups are out there

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I've only played against brawler and Hwood Cassie so far. I can't comment on spec ops but if she can trade and/or make sub have to change his game to her advantage then it's prob not a bad thing. His unbreak variation might be able to deal with zoning but I don't have enough exp yet. Personally I've only actually played as brawler and HWood Cassie myself, I should check spec ops out and see what rocket setups are out there
Spec Ops is the better variation against sub zero. It's not about keep away, it's about being able to get in whenever you want with ex missile. Sub has to block and those things are hella plus on block.