What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Cassie Cage "Did You Just Say Kick My @$%?" - The Cassie Cage Matchup Thread.

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
Going to another meetup today so hopefully I can gather more information to put down good writeups.

I don't play online at all as my connection is awful so gotta rely on my local scene.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Spec Ops is the better variation against sub zero. It's not about keep away, it's about being able to get in whenever you want with ex missile. Sub has to block and those things are hella plus on block.
Fair enough. Like I said, I've never played one, that's good to know

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
One cool thing that is not really safe but if you have a clone between you and Sub Zero in the corner, if you think Sub is going to push buttons you can d+f+1 and the low gunshot will hit Sub and the string does not advance Cassie forward until the clone is destroyed so you don't get hit. If Sub is expecting this obviously you can get opened up pretty bad into another setup...however, just making them respect the option will force them to crouch block a bit more, giving you an easier time to get out or just more time where the clone is active but Sub isn't doing anything which is always a good thing.

I will record a video later on.

Last edited:
The thing about the subzero(GM) matchup is that any turtling subzero is beatable and I don't think is representative of what the matchup will look like once it's developed. Against a subzero that actively carries you to the corner, it's not a good matchup for Brawler and Hollywood. It's a little better in Hollywood as low air akimbo is good against a clone, plus ex nutpunch can punish certain strings, but not that good in any case. Spec ops is the best variation against sz, but requires your timing and reads to be very good. I think the subzero player has the advantage in this matchup, with spec ops being even. I daren't say advantageous.

Edit to add that she doesn't really have that many tools to get out against a clone either.

Fergus

Ok I have a better idea of Scorpion, confident enough to do up a decent writeup on it. Will do that tomorrow.

I'll include all these little random tidbits as well for other chars.

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
a shinnok ended my 50+ ranked win streak using boneshaper. i then came across two more shinnoks in ranked who also beat me with boneshaper. i've added some of them and i wanna explore that matchup and see if i can come up with anything for it.

Fergus

Sorry guys, been so busy recently. I'll try and update Scorpion tomorrow and all your little tidbits.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Against characters trying to zone you out, bf4(ex) can be really useful. For instance, against a full auto jacqui, once you get more than 2/3rds of the screen close to her, she can no longer MB her rockets. If you see her try to, you can bf4(ex) on reaction and armour through the rockets getting a full combo punish (42% into normal nutcracker or 44% into ex nutcracker in hollywood). This essentially means you can walk in against Jacqui and her zoning is no threat at all. Similar things can be said for ancestral Jin, Mileena, Erron Black and Kano.

Lucky_623

MKX XB1 & Cage Family Supporter
Matchup's this early in the lifespan is a wild card.. Add the fact of multiple variations - makes it even more wild.
If I could make a suggestion...
Could we start off with what we know about certain opponents- things to watch out for- or more specifically things like:
Blocking low against Kitanna and Johnny is a safe bet because they have no real overhead threat to hurt you badly, or abuse.

Ultimately- dish the dirt on characters you know here- and the best way to punish- AS Cassie.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I'll just add another layer to the Sub-Zero matchup. This might not be 100% helpful, but IMO every option in this matchup is more than welcome.

Normally, you can't simply jump over a clone and try to do any of your jumping attacks, as Sub-Zero can just stand behind the clone and block your attack while watching you falling into his clone. In addition to that, most of Cassie's jumping attacks makes her hurtbox even bigger, and you end up eating the clone before even touching Sub-Zero.
BUT, if you use a JI4, you will push Sub-Zero back just enough for you to land safely without hitting the clone, so it's pretty neat.
Of course, Sub-Zero can AA you or do a NJP and you're basically dead, so that's why this is just another layer in this matchup instead of a permanent solution.

Oh, and don't forget that D/F1 is your friend in this situation too, since the bullet goes through the clone, as many others around here mentioned many times.

Gegz

It's all in the game yo'
Thoughts on the Jax(wrestler) matchup ?

Just played a long set against a friend and i just can't do anything with Hollywood Cassie. He is kinda safe on his good strings (pushback, projectile on block...) and i don't know how I'm supposed to deal with that, especially in the corner. Oh and he has good armor moves for getting out of the corner.

Fergus

Someone shared this with me and it's extremely useful.

Cassie's meaty F4 in the corner will blow up Jax's armoured moves and give you a combo. Play around with it :D

EDIT: Just noticed there's a video of it in the General Thread. Go check it out!

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Was Cassie always able to punish Goro's EX Punchwalk with reversal db2, or was this introduced with the latest hotfix?

If she always could, oh man what a scrub I was!! :D

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Was Cassie always able to punish Goro's EX Punchwalk with reversal db2, or was this introduced with the latest hotfix?

If she always could, oh man what a scrub I was!! :D
She can't? Just tested and you can't punish normal Goro punch walk (with either db2 or ex db2), let alone the ex version (which is actually plus). The guy you were playing must have been mashing or not pressed block.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
She can't? Just tested and you can't punish normal Goro punch walk (with either db2 or ex db2), let alone the ex version (which is actually plus). The guy you were playing must have been mashing or not pressed block.
Do you know what goros frames are on that? Some jackass was abusing that online. I didnt buy Goro nor am i home so i cant check anyways:/
Somehow i tried 1,2,1 after i attempted a blocked and got the toasty uppercut.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
LOL who's the scrub now huh? :p

You actually tested this and she can't? Just to be clear, you have the latest hotfix in which b1 is 11f, goro's ex punchwalk is (listed as) -6, right? Sorry but if this is actually true, LMAO cause the guy I was playing with (offline) told me I was punishing it (multiple times, too)....

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

You actually tested this and she can't? Just to be clear, you have the latest hotfix in which b1 is 11f, goro's ex punchwalk is (listed as) -6, right? Sorry but if this is actually true, LMAO cause the guy I was playing with (offline) told me I was punishing it (multiple times, too)....
b1 says 11 frame startup (Cassie's b1) but Goro's punch walk is listed as -5 (both ex and regular). This is Tigra Fury variation if that makes a difference. Either way, It's not punishing, I've set the AI to reversal special and I can block everytime. Tempest Lao is punishing it with his 5 frame cyclone though so I dunno.

Test it yourself, maybe there was another hotfix after that one?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Maybe your opponent thought they were playing a back to block game lol? I don't think it punishes but I will mess with it today.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
b1 says 11 frame startup (Cassie's b1) but Goro's punch walk is listed as -5 (both ex and regular). This is Tigra Fury variation if that makes a difference. Either way, It's not punishing, I've set the AI to reversal special and I can block everytime. Tempest Lao is punishing it with his 5 frame cyclone though so I dunno.

Test it yourself, maybe there was another hotfix after that one?
No need, I believe you LOL. Just to clarify, does EX PW hit 3 times on block or whiff before stopping, or does the full animation play out when you're far away, cause what was happening was, I would do b12 then block, he'd try to armor through in case I did the full string and then I would punish EX PW on block because only the first 3 hits came out as opposed to the full animation.

What I'm trying to say here is, if EX PW completely whiffs, how many punches does Goro do? Maybe if you block the uppercut he does at the end, then its -6? BTW he was playing the knife thingy variation with the earthquakes (Kuatan Warrior?).

The Magician

According to my sources...
No need, I believe you LOL. Just to clarify, does EX PW hit 3 times on block or whiff before stopping, or does the full animation play out when you're far away, cause what was happening was, I would do b12 then block, he'd try to armor through in case I did the full string and then I would punish EX PW on block because only the first 3 hits came out as opposed to the full animation.

What I'm trying to say here is, if EX PW completely whiffs, how many punches does Goro do? Maybe if you block the uppercut he does at the end, then its -6? BTW he was playing the knife thingy variation with the earthquakes (Kuatan Warrior?).
If Goro completely whiffs, he does 3 punches. On block it does the full duration if I recall correctly. It might not do the uppercut though.

Edit: got it reversed, full duration if it whiffs, unless blocked then it stops both ex and normal. If it blocks from the start then only 3 punches come out.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Does anyone else agree that Hollywood Cassie vs. Outlaw Erron is 5-5? I've played over 100 matches with my friend and it feels even, but I win more often because I'm doing 40%+ in the corner and he's doing 28%. I feel that both characters have the tools to deal with each other's shenanigans and neither really overwhelms the other. It's all a matter of the first hit, meter use, and the first knockdown. He's blocking and punishing all of my mixups so well that I've been forced to use F34 quite often along with my b123 to d3 checks to maintain pressure. I have to guess between the overhead dropkick and slide on my wakeup, and he has to guess DF1 or F3 after the nutpunch. The only thing I struggle with is the range of Erron's neutral jump 2, but I attribute most of that to getting frustrated and doing autopilot b1's.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Does anyone else agree that Hollywood Cassie vs. Outlaw Erron is 5-5? I've played over 100 matches with my friend and it feels even, but I win more often because I'm doing 40%+ in the corner and he's doing 28%. I feel that both characters have the tools to deal with each other's shenanigans and neither really overwhelms the other. It's all a matter of the first hit, meter use, and the first knockdown. He's blocking and punishing all of my mixups so well that I've been forced to use F34 quite often along with my b123 to d3 checks to maintain pressure. I have to guess between the overhead dropkick and slide on my wakeup, and he has to guess DF1 or F3 after the nutpunch. The only thing I struggle with is the range of Erron's neutral jump 2, but I attribute most of that to getting frustrated and doing autopilot b1's.
I assume he's playing outlaw? Marksman is where it's at. He should be getting much more than 28% in the corner. megabytes is getting 40%+.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I assume he's playing outlaw? Marksman is where it's at. He should be getting much more than 28% in the corner. megabytes is getting 40%+.
Yes. He's a Sonic Fox fan and doesn't get as much time with the game as I do, so he just X copies and simplifies, but his fundamentals are solid. That shotgun packs a punch in Marksman. I've seen others use it, but haven't had the chance to fight against it. How do you feel about the matchup?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Yes. He's a Sonic Fox fan and doesn't get as much time with the game as I do, so he just X copies and simplifies, but his fundamentals are solid. That shotgun packs a punch in Marksman. I've seen others use it, but haven't had the chance to fight against it. How do you feel about the matchup?
Haven't played him offline, but it's probably even, especially once option selects get removed.