What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Derptile's Cutthroat Kano Guide(Updated for 3/29/16 patch changes)

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
I am ass at these run cancels. Really need to get them down. Appreciate the guide, it's very nice. But you really should have recorded yourself reading it in an aussie accent. Only way to make it legit.

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
I look forward to trying these out as I've been playing Cutthroat for a bit. Thanks OP.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
The pacth was dumb nerfing Kano. Not like, he is in top 8 on tournaments. The armor wakeupextra damage was a selling point for his rushdown style. Looks like I'm sticking to Cyber and Commando the most. Cutt is used when I need that overhead advantage.

Parasurama

Dragon
EDIT: RIP Ex buff after the 9/1/15 hotfix/patch, the move has no purpose outside of when you're too lazy to hit confirm your normals into Ex DB1. Just don't use it. So if you come across it in this guide then just read over it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Since finding Tech and making Guides seems to be a popular thing to do these days on TYM, I decided to make one for what I think is the most underrated character in this game right now, Cutthroat Kano. A fair warning, it's pretty in depth and I don't like proofreading so tell me if I messed up my English anywhere.

What is Cutthroat?

-Cutthroat is Kano's rushdown variation where he gets a long ranged launching string, a damage buff, a long ranged knife stab that launches for the Ex version, and an overhead string B121 that's 0 on block, but replaces his very good default B1 from Cybernetic/Commando. In addition to these tools, he is supplied with the fantastic repertoire of Footsie tools that are present in all of Kano's variations. His gameplan in its simplest form consists of comboing the opponent and ending with a Straight Ball to get a Sliding(not a hard, error on my part and corrected by @infamy23 ) knockdown and continue the vortex. However he has plenty of tricks up his sleeve which we'll get into soon.

+Strengths+
  • Completely Safe(0 on block overhead, +1 on block low) 50/50 game where he ends combos in a Sliding knockdown to continue the Vortex.
  • Fantastic footsie tools in the form of F4, F212, Ex knives, etc.
  • Amazing D4.
  • Absurdly high damaging Combos with meter(Does much less damage post patch)
  • Great mobility with Forward and Back dash as well as decent Run Speed.
  • Armored launcher as well as a separate safe armored move.
  • Not bad Zoning with fast recovery knives and almost impossible to zone thanks to Air ball.
  • Can nullify some wakeups on read and do massive punishes.(To a much much lesser extant now)
  • Can AA reliably.
-Weaknesses-
  • He doesn't have the default B1(one of the best normals in the game) that Cybernetic and Commando have.
  • His fastest move is 8 frames so without meter he can find himself stuck in the corner getting bopped against some characters.
  • He is also one of the most meter hungry character in the game, constantly using it for his pressure, setups, and 50/50 combos when not in the corner.

Useful Normals/Strings
112: Starts up in 8 frames, is supposed to hit mid for 12 but just hits all high most of the time, and has a gap in between 11(gap)2. This string is best used for fast punishes where F212 is too slow to punish or when you want optimal 1 bar punishes.

F212: A mid launching hit-confirmable string that starts in 12 frames and slowly advances you toward the opponent. The final hit launches and is -9 on block so stop at f21(-5 or -6) if they block it, but if the opponent starts to press buttons after f21 you can just do the whole string and launch since there is a delay(but no gap) between F21(delay)2. This string is your main punisher for doing meterless damage midscreen.

B121: An overhead starting string that starts up in 13 frames, easily hit-confirmable, and is 0 on block. The b1 has the ABSOLUTE WORST RANGE out of any move in the game, it only hits if your arm in inside the opponent and it moves you back as well. Still, this string is essential for Cutthroat's mixup gameplay.

B312: A low starting string with 14 frames of startup, launches only in the corner, and is -8 on block. B31 is cancelable(b312 is not) and is +1 on block, maybe more since the opponent has to block low. It's also essential for Kano's Mixups.

F4: A single hitting normal where Kano essentially jumps and knees the opponent in the chest. 11 frames of start up, -5 on block, special cancelable, terrific range, and crushes low pokes. A very good move for when Kano wants to get in quickly.

4: A single hitting kick that can function well as a preemptive AA but besides that it's not very useful. 15 frames start up and +2 on block.

D4: A very good low poke that starts up in 8 frames, -7 on block, and is +18 on hit. It has great range, push back on block, and low profiles alot of things. Seriously this poke is absolutely amazing, use it more. On hit it also knocks them away so you have to run in for a follow up.

D3: A decent poke that also starts up in 8 frames, -3 on block, and is +13 on hit. This does not low profile or push back on block, but it does leave them standing next to you on hit so it's useful if you've just used a breaker.

D2: Good AA with 8 frames of startup.

NJP: Not the best NJP in the world, but definitely not the worst. It has a pretty good downwards hitbox and can be used as a preemptive AA.

Jumpin 1: Same deal as NJP. It's decent and has more of a downwards hitbox, just use this over the rest of his Jump attacks.

Special Moves

-Kano Ball(BF3): Who doesn't love balls in your face? This is Kano's equivalent of Raiden's superman, a cool thing about it is that it results in a sliding knockdown so it's a great combo ender. 14 frame start up and punishable on block.
-Ex Version: Much more interesting than normal ball because it gains several interesting properties. First off all it gains armor and can be delayed or canceled on hit if your opponent is next to you, so you can essentially use it as armored launcher if you're fast enough. It's also surprisingly hard to punish if you're not used to the timing which makes it even better. The second thing about it is that if you delay it properly you can absorb 2 hits, but you can also launch and still have the ability to absorb hits. So with the delay you can HAVE 3 HITS OF ARMOR.
Here's a good thread explaining it all Click on me

-Air Ball(BF3 while in the air): Kano does the ball in the air that tracks the opponent. If he hits them then it'll cancel into a low attack as well, if the opponent blocks it then Kano will be in a rolling ball animation, if you make it so you land in front of them then only the low attack will come out. It's kind of weird to explain, but what you need to know is that Air ball makes it very hard to zone Kano and if you're opponent blocks either the low attack or ball, it is complete death on block
-MB Version: Air ball can't be EXed like Kano ball, but it can be Meterburned when you land on the ground so that instead of the low attack you get a tackling command grab. This is great for when you know your opponent is ready to block the low.

Up Ball(DB2): Simple upball, says it's 6 frames but is around 10/9 frames. Can be used as an AA but you can get hit out of it. Punishable on block.
EX Version: Has armor, -5 on block only if your opponent blocks the 2 hits. If they block only 1 hit then you will punished

Blade Toss(DF2): Simple knife toss, it's a high hitting projectile with good recovery and speed. 16 frame start up and- 7 on block. Very similar to Shinnok's Gun
EX Version: A seriously good move than alot of people aren't using. It's +9 on block so you can use it after F4/F21 to get in and be +9 and do a mixup, or after a blocked b121 so you get to do another mixup. Note that B1 has such piss poor range that you have to do a RC after Ex knives for it to hit, just something to remember.

Blade Slice(DB1): A swinging blade slice, it's pretty slow but has good range. When used properly to extend combos you can obtain fantastic damage. 20 Frame start up and -9 on block. Should only be used in combos.
EX Version: Same deal but this time it launches them into the air for a full combo, does not have armor though.

Power Up(DD3): A buff move where Kano does a chest bump and gains a substantial boost to his damage and chip at the cost of losing roughly 1.2% health a second for 10 seconds. It goes away if your opponent manages to hit you.
Ex Version: Same deal but this time you get a larger damage boost, no health loss, 1 hit of armor, and it recovers fast enough to be used in some combos. Both versions last long enough to be used in 2 combos back to to back. After patch you don't get a higher damage boost than the normal version, you do take damage(up to 15%), you do have armor but it's not as reliable. However, you do recover fast enough to use Ex buff in more combos, but it barely does more damage than his optimal DB1 combos and you loose life in the combos. It's a bad move now.

:x-Ray(Lacerator): Swag points x 1000 and can AA. No real use for it besides that since it has pretty poor range, it starts up in 21 frames, -8 on block, and does 32%.

Movement

- Just wanted to quickly touch up on this subject. Kano has some of the best mobility in the game, his Forward Dash and Back dash are both very fast, cover a lot of distance, and is great for trip-guarding, plus his Air ball and Kano ball make getting in against some characters a breeze. Run speed and Walk speed are also decent, so just remember you have all the tools for getting in and out easily.

Ex Buff
No longer relevant, here's to hoping for the NRS guys to grow a brain and give back pre-patch buff.
-One cool thing about Kano's Ex Buff is that it has one hit of armor, now this might not seem important but it essentially allows the Ex buff to function as a parry to absorb special attacks. This means you can bait out some wakeup attacks or setups and punish for huge damage, and when the opponent knows they can't wakeup you can start to apply your safe 50/50 game when they're getting off the ground. It also can be used in the combo B12 xx Ex Buff 112 ex DB1 and lead to more than 60% midscreen for 2 bars. However it is a very hard link to do but still the reward is definitely worth it. The Ex buff also lasts for a very long time, so even after you combo them for huge damage, you can end the combo with Kano ball, and do another 50/50 with the damage boost still active. You're opponent just wasted a bar as well trying to wake up so most the time they probably won't wakeup this time.

Examples
Note that because you only have 1 hit of armor it will not work against all wakeup attacks. Even then, you can still recover fast in time to punish some of them. I hope one day I'll have a complete list of moves that Ex Buff beats, but for right now you're gonna have to go in the lab and find out the best ways of implementing it.
Combos
Starter = F4 or B121 or B12 or B31 or 112
Uncolored = No buff, Orange = buff, Red = Ex buff(Note: Ex buff combos now do the same as normal buff combos post patch)

Midscreen
Meterless
-F212 F212 RC 112 xx BF3 [30/40/45%]
-F212 RC 11 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [30/40/45%]
-Starter xx BF3[13/18/20-20/27/30%]

One Bar
-Starter xx DB1EX F212 RC 112 xx BF3 [32/42/48%-37/49/55%]
-F212 F212 RC 112 xx DB1EX 2 xx BF3 [37/49/56%]
-F212 RC 11 xx DB1 112 xx DB1EX RC B12 xx BF3 [40/53/60%]
-Starter xx DB1EX RC B12 xxDB1 112 DB2 - [38-41%][haven't test with Buffs yet, but the 112 starter leads to 41% which is the maximum amount of damage for any 1 bar punish]

Two Bar
-[B31,F4,B12,112] xx DB1EX RC B12 xxDB1 112 xx DB1 EX RC B12 xx BF3 - [46-49%][Haven't tested with Buffs]
-B12 xx DD3EX 112 xx DB1EX F212 RC 112 xx BF3 [58%]
-B12 xx DD3EX 112 xx DB1EX RC B12 xx DB1 112xxBF3 [64%](Pretty hard to do consistently)

Corner
Meterless
-B121 xx DF2 11 112 xx BF3 [31/42/47%]
-F212 B312 11 112 xx BF3 [35/46/52%]
-B312 32 11 112 xx BF3 [34/46/52%]

One Bar
-B121 xx DF2 112 xx DB1 NJP 112 xx BF3 [41/54/61%]
-F212 B1 xx DF2 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [44/58/66%]
-B312 32 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [43/58/65%]
-B312 B312 112 xx DB1EX NJP 112 xx BF3 [48/64/72%]
-[STARTER] xx DB1EX 4 xx DB1 112 xx BF3 [37/49/55%-42/55/62%]
I personally don't think 3 bar combos are worth it so I've excluded them from this list. But if you have a useful 3 bar combo that deserves to be here then feel free to share.

Gameplan
- The main idea behind Cutthroat is to play Footsies until you win and come in with your safe 50/50 mixup game, or if you happen to have a bar you can do F21/F4 Ex Knives and be +9 in your opponents face. Once you're in, you can do B121 which is 0 on block or B31 which is +1 on block, if either option is blocked you will still be at frame advantage because you're opponent has to unblock. One thing that I don't see any Kanos doing is B121 xx Ex Knives, B121 is easily hitconfirmable so if the B121 hits you can launch for 35%+ and if it's blocked you toss out Ex knives and do another safe block string. Of course after Ex Knives they could armor out or back dash if you use a normal with terrible range, but you can bait out armor with Ex Buff or punish backdashes with F212/F4.

-Getting the opponent to the corner is key with Kano because in the corner he doesn't have to rely on DB1 EX to launch, B312 and B121 xx Knife toss will leave your opponent in a juggle state allowing for 33%+ combos while saving meter. The opponent won't be able to backdash out of your Ex knives blockstrings so unless they have armor they will undoubtedly be stuck there for quite some time.

---A general idea of what do at any given time.--

-Fullscreen and same health: You can throw knives and zone for a bit against rushdown characters. Or do Air-Ball on read against zoners and start your mixup game.
-Fullscreen and health advantage: Same deal as above.
-Fullscreen and health disadvantage: You're going to want to come in and start your 50/50s and pressure game.

-Footsie range and same health: You can back up and zone/continue footsies, or win in footsies to come in and start 50/50 and pressure game, or do F21/F4 Ex knives and be +9 in their face.
-Footsie range and health advantage: Same deal as above, he can be played offensively and defensively.
-Footsie range and health disadvatage: Win in footsies or do F21/F4 ex knives

-Close Range: Anytime you're at close range you're always going to want to do the 50/50 game because you'll either be at 0(overhead) or +1(low) after your mixup is blocked. Here is just a small idea of things you can do while you're in their face:
-F21/F4 xx Ex knives RC B121/B31
-After a D4/D3 on hit: RC B121 xx Ex knives RC B121/ B31/Grab
-B121/B31 (Do a low poke or bait out the opponent to press buttons and punish accordingly)
-F21/F4 backdash and whiff punish.
-B121/B31 wait for armored attack and do Ex Buff and punish.
-Bait wakeups with Ex Buff and punish accordingly.

Summary

All in all, Cutthroat Kano is a fantastic character that doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses but has plenty of strengths that work well in MKX. His safe 50/50 game, Ex knives, movement, and advancing normals allow him to stay on top of his opponent and he can also get out/stay out of trouble with his great backdash, knives, and armored launcher.

-My personal rating of Cutthroat Kano based on M2Dave's Rate Your Character thread-

Post-patch
1. 50/50 mixups and pressure: 4.5/5
2. Neutral game and Footsies: 4/5
3. Defensive options: 4/5
4. Zoning and Anti-Zoning: 3.5/5, maybe 4/5
5. Damage: 4/5

Total: 20/25

Edit: I think another rating should be given and that would be
6. Meter dependence: 2/5
For as awesome Cutthroat is, he constantly needs meter to play at his maximum potential, the Ex buff, massive combos, and Ex knives all require meter so he has to be wise on what he spends it on, it's something that all Cutthroat players should be aware of.

This is a LIVING guide so some things will be subject to change as new knowledge is acquired and patches happen so be on the look out for updates as well.

Shoutouts to :
@DougDFC for running the Kano combo thread so that I could find everything easily :p
@Espio who impressed me so much with his Goro thread that I had to make one for Cutthroat.
@Youphemism For being the resident potato of the Kano community, <3 you bro.
@MrInsaynne for being the only Kano placing in tourneys
@ETC AdmiralAugustus Being awesome in the Kano forums
@CanadianBaconX The man who found out the Ex buff blowing up wakeups tech.
@Pig Of The Hut If you still want me to make you a Liu Kang guide I will, but Cutthroat's pretty good and for some reason I'd think you'd like him:)
@The rest of the Kano community who are still going strong with this character and anyone else on TYM who enjoys this game for how fun it is, shoutouts to you all. Fuck off Saltshaker and Dingleberry Smarrgasm.

-Fin

Where is your Liu Kang guide? :)

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Dear @Derptile can you elaborate a bit more about these EX-knives and blade slice. I've read your guide about 3 times know last week and I can't seem to grasp how you use these two moves during a match.

Am I correct that you do the b121 combo and if it's blocked you make it b12, EX-knives so you can get out easily. So the purpose of EX-knives is to get safe out of a situation? (Plus on block means you can escape out of a situation, right).

At the moment I don't use Blade slice at all. I've read in the CT-thread that you can do F4, DB1 as a opening move it's safer than F4, BF3. It this because of the reach and what other situations is this used it?

I almost want to beg for visual match footage, but if you could perhaps give some examples I'd be happy too :)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Dear @Derptile can you elaborate a bit more about these EX-knives and blade slice. I've read your guide about 3 times know last week and I can't seem to grasp how you use these two moves during a match.

Am I correct that you do the b121 combo and if it's blocked you make it b12, EX-knives so you can get out easily. So the purpose of EX-knives is to get safe out of a situation? (Plus on block means you can escape out of a situation, right).

At the moment I don't use Blade slice at all. I've read in the CT-thread that you can do F4, DB1 as a opening move it's safer than F4, BF3. It this because of the reach and what other situations is this used it?

I almost want to beg for visual match footage, but if you could perhaps give some examples I'd be happy too :)
b12(1) is safe but b12(1) EX Knives buys you advantage meaning you can pressure your opponent before they get to press a button. db1 is - but barely unsafe and completely safe vs some characters. I made a thread on it.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

Usually you would hit confirm B12. If it hits, do B12~DB1EX (or ex buff if you prefer) in to a full combo. If it's blocked then do B121 which leaves you neutral on block (or you can do B121 for a little more chip and some plus frames if you want).
EX knives you tend to use to make unsafe strings safe. For example if you're facing Cassie you can't throw out a raw F21 as it's -6 and you'll get full combo punished so you would do F21~ex knives to make the string safe, and you can use the plus frames you get to continue pressure/go for a mixup.

DB1 is probably one of the best footsie tools in the game. Go into the lab try and find the max range for DB1, it's surprisingly far. It's also only -8 which means certain characters can't punish you at all and some of those that can only get a poke. It's usually used to keep your opponent in check, stop them from running in wildly and to keep your strings safe depending on what character you're facing.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
@Parasurama I dunno if I'll ever get around to it lol. Dragon's Fire has a ton of options anywhere on the screen so it would be hard to detail them out like I did with this guide lol.

Ex knives are used to extend blockstrings as well as make them safe. B121 is 0 on block meaning it's completely safe and leaves you at a neutral position which means both you and your opponent are in the same situation when it comes to frame advantage. If you do Ex knives after any block string you become +9 on block so you're at an advantageous position.

To put it in layman terms, below -8 is punishable by everyone and is bad. Between -8 and -6 is punishable by some and is not good or okay depending on the MU. Between -6 and -1 is safe and is not punishable by anyone and is okay. 0 is safe and leaves you at neutral and is good, anything higher than 0 means you get frame advantage and the more frame advantage the better, ex Knives is +9 so that's great.

Blade Slice is a decent tool for keeping your opponent honest if they like to press buttons after some blockstrings so you can catch them. It is punishable by some characters but it has funky blockstun so it's a tricky punish. You can also throw it in neutral occasionally. Alot of Kano players seem to like it (as evidenced by above^^^^) but I don't like throwing out slow moves in neutral, it's up to you whether you want to use it or not.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Thanks @Derptile @Youphemism and @MsMiharo !! This really clears a lot of things up. I finally got the + on block stuff now. It just didn't landed.
Seems kind of hard to use these exKnives but it's a nice challenge. Same for blade slice.

Btw, I'd never expected that a fighting game was this difficult to master.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
@OmeMark

Go to the lab set the dummy to random block and practice hit confirming f212 so if the dummy blocks use exknives and if it hits go with your bnb f212 combo.

You have a lot of time to see if the first f21 hits. Doing that in practice has helped a lot and also practice hit confining b31 since b31 is +2

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
@OmeMark
Go to the lab set the dummy to random block and practice hit confirming f212 so if the dummy blocks use exknives and if it hits go with your bnb f212 combo.
You have a lot of time to see if the first f21 hits. Doing that in practice has helped a lot and also practice hit confining b31 since b31 is +2
Thanks! These tips make it doable for me. I'm the type of guy that learns by doing. All this theory is for the nerdy guys (like @countrypistol )

Last edited:

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Thanks! These tips make it doable for me. I'm not type of guy that learns by doing. All this theory is for the nerdy guys (like @countrypistol )
No problem. I know doing that helped a lot since I would waste meter using exknives on hit and really you should practice the hit confirming with all your combo starters just so you can keep yourself safe and not throw out stuff that stops your pressure.

Kano is really safe on a lot of strings so use that to your advantage and catch ppl hitting buttons when they shouldn't

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I like using db1 (blade slice) sometimes when I Dont have meter instead of kano ball just because I'm +12 on hit so I catch ppl all the time who Dont know that with a follow up 112 into full combo and even of they do know that at least I can keep the pressure going

Your just one of the nerdy type of ppl ;)
I'm not denying that. It was the bit where he said he doesn't learn by doing, but theory is for nerds (like me). Pretty sure those two statements contradict one another.

I also detailed the same hit confirm exercise in the Commando guide, so it's not like I've been expounding theory without demonstrating a practical context.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
I'm not denying that. It was the bit where he said he doesn't learn by doing, but theory is for nerds (like me). Pretty sure those two statements contradict one another.

I also detailed the same hit confirm exercise in the Commando guide, so it's not like I've been expounding theory without demonstrating a practical context.
oops..... I wish I could trade looks for brains.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I think something about his AA-game should be added. D2 is godlike, upball is decent, s1 is great for close jump ins and crossovers. You can rc it into 112 ball or if you catch them high in the air f212 rc 112 ball. You can also burn a bar for ex slice.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I think something about his AA-game should be added. D2 is godlike, upball is decent, s1 is great for close jump ins and crossovers. You can rc it into 112 ball or if you catch them high in the air f212 rc 112 ball. You can also burn a bar for ex slice.
Waiting for patch to come out so I can update it.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Patch is here.
I think, the most important thing is safe db1 (-5).
And we have unsafe d4(-8). That means ALL d4 must be cancelled in db1

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Patch is here.
I think, the most important thing is safe db1 (-5).
And we have unsafe d4(-8). That means ALL d4 must be cancelled in db1
D4 into DB1 has a gap, and D4 already has decent pushback so there's nothing wrong within doing it by itself.

I'll probably update the OP next week since I got mid-terms to study for and such.