What's new

Tech - Kano MB Kano Ball armor

Jupe

Noob
Hi guys,

In the past I've felt that the armor on Kano Ball is very random and it beats projectiles or Sub Zero's klone only sometimes. I knew there was a reason why it worked sometimes but not always. I tried to look for but didn't find any information about MB Ball armor so I decided to find out myself how it actually works and found out a few things:

MB Kano Ball obviously has armor on start up. When delayed the armor can absorb up to 2 fast (but not too fast) hits, according to my findings. This armor is lost after a short delay, but if delayed long enough for the initial armors to fade away, it also generates a new hit of armor on launch.

So according to my findings the maximum amount of hits the armor can absorb is 3 hits: 2 while you delay it and 1 when launched. Therefore MB Ball can go thru multiple projectiles: Jax's Machine Gun or Liu Kang's double fire ball, for example. However, the 2 hits of armor on delaying the ball take some frames in between to regenerate, so delaying the ball doesn't beat very fast hits such as Cassie's f44.

Here are a couple videos to prove my findings and show how the armor can be used to go thru some of the projectiles and Ice Klone more consistently.

2 hits of armor during delay

Armor on delay is lost after a while, but new armor gained on launch

Going thru Ice Klone from far away. Armor is gained on launch only by waiting for the initial armor to fade away before launching.

3 hits of armor: 2 on delay and 1 on launch

4th hit is too much

Hopefully this makes MB Kano Ball armor more clear for you guys too. Also feel free to challenge my test results if you think they are not 100% accurate.

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
I knew it absorbed 2 hits but I never knew how it worked or if it could armor up to 3 hits? Thanks for breaking it down.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Very cool. I had no idea how the armor worked, just assumed it was 1 hit until you let it go, this is super useful.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I didn't even see this thread. This helps a lot of us understand more than what we knew about how Straight Ball operates. I know its going to help me for sure.

Great findings man.

KMK

Noob
Also it would be great if we started a list of when to use on certain common strings to punish since it has 1 start up. Need to get better at that... I think it's one of kano's best tools

Jupe

Noob
Also it would be great if we started a list of when to use on certain common strings to punish since it has 1 start up. Need to get better at that... I think it's one of kano's best tools
The frame data on that move is incorrect, it does not have 1 frame start up. @Killusion told me he did some tests earlier and was able to punish up to -8 or -9 on block moves if i recall correctly. Upball has 6 frame startup so that should be the safest bet to use as reversal for punishes, the damage you get from upball just isn't that good.

Cool stuff just need to talk about wakeup ver now I think it's little different
I'll try to test if I notice any difference now.

EDIT: Armor on wakeup seems to be working exactly the same.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think he's talking about using MB ball to interrupt string gaps with the armor
I've been doing that already. It's his most reliable way to armor through gaps because it leads to full combo unlike some armor moves, and you can end in Kano Ball for the hard knockdown.

ando1184

Noob
Yeah I know but people thought he was talking about using it as a punish
I think it could be used as a punish vs the scenarios he made vids for. What we should do is compile a list vs characters with multihitting specials/attacks that this is useful on. I for one would like it if this could stop shinnok's FB shenanigens.

KMK

Noob
Ya was talking about interrupting strings or specials but the punish is interesting as well. Did not know frames were wrong. So thanks

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
so I decided to find out myself how it actually works and found out a few things
Amazing what can be found if one does this. Not a dig at you at all, you did great work! I just wish more people thought this way. It can be a lot of work sometimes but pays off a lot too. Bravo good sir.

And agreed that we should find gaps that this can be used to punish.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Amazing what can be found if one does this. Not a dig at you at all, you did great work! I just wish more people thought this way. It can be a lot of work sometimes but pays off a lot too. Bravo good sir.

And agreed that we should find gaps that this can be used to punish.
Well, if TCW taught us anything, the gap between Erron Black's F13xx is punishable

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Up ball is not a 6 frame start up. I've tested it and put it around 8-9 frames. I really wish they would get the frame data correct.

Jupe

Noob
Up ball is not a 6 frame start up. I've tested it and put it around 8-9 frames. I really wish they would get the frame data correct.
It does punish mileena's 21 string which is -7. I think the frame data might be correct, but if you are not right next to the opponent it takes a frame or two for the ball to move forward before it connects.

Edit: Upball also punishes dragon fangs goro's dragon spin which is -6. Kung lao's 7 frame spin doesn't punish this so the frame data seems to be correct.

Last edited: