What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Derptile's Cutthroat Kano Guide(Updated for 3/29/16 patch changes)

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
Because I don't want to make a thread on it and have it merged into some other thread that I don't care about. Besides it still is Kano related seeing as how I play him

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Because I don't want to make a thread on it and have it merged into some other thread that I don't care about. Besides it still is Kano related seeing as how I play him
Just post in general discussion. I just replied to what you said didn't pay attention to what thread this was but no more derailing of his guide thread

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Awesome thread @Derptile!

I'm a few days into learning Cutthroat and this will help for sure. I love his footsie game and his ability to get in with ease! Like a more rugged Kung Jin.

I hate Kano as a character but Cutthroat is such fun!

I just recently picked up this character, so this is awesome. I personally suck at doing the f212 f212 rc 112 ball combo and the 11 slash combo has been way more consistent + looks cooler too, so thanks to whoever found that as well. I'm a little saddened that his ex buff combos don't do more than his ex slash combos, since ex buff got me interested in this character in the first place, but I'll manage considering these combos do 40% and lead into mixups lol.

Since he was rated pretty positively in the OP, I wonder where he stands in terms of viability. Is he top 10, stuck in the mid tier due to needing meter, etc? I'm sorry if I start a war with this line of discussion, just curious since he seems (to me, this could just be me sucking with kano on day 3) like you have to be on point with your plays most of the time but very strong when he gets going, especially in the corner. This is basically directed towards OP/the kano mains/cutthroat mains.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I just recently picked up this character, so this is awesome. I personally suck at doing the f212 f212 rc 112 ball combo and the 11 slash combo has been way more consistent + looks cooler too, so thanks to whoever found that as well. I'm a little saddened that his ex buff combos don't do more than his ex slash combos, since ex buff got me interested in this character in the first place, but I'll manage considering these combos do 40% and lead into mixups lol.

Since he was rated pretty positively in the OP, I wonder where he stands in terms of viability. Is he top 10, stuck in the mid tier due to needing meter, etc? I'm sorry if I start a war with this line of discussion, just curious since he seems (to me, this could just be me sucking with kano on day 3) like you have to be on point with your plays most of the time but very strong when he gets going, especially in the corner. This is basically directed towards OP/the kano mains/cutthroat mains.
He's definitely in the bottom half of the tier list after the recent patch. Nearly all the lower tiers got substantial buffs and the Ex buff nerf him hit hard. Still, as long as you're not Kenshi or Jason level you're fine in this game, so I think he's decent now but no longer A+ tier.

My tier list would be:
S TIER: Quan Cheese, Predator, D'vorah, A-a-ron Black, Roo Kang, Kung Lao, Cassie Cage, Jax(-)
A+ Tier: Sonya, Raiden, Takeda, Jaqui, Reptile, Shinnok, Kung Jin, Tremor, Johnny Cage, Kitana(-), Tanya(+)
A Tier: Kano(former A+ until patch :( ), Sub Zero(+), Ermac(+), Scorpion, Kotal Kahn, Ferra Torr, Mileena(-)
B+ Tier: Kenshi, Goro(+)
B Tier: Jason

+'s and -'s denote characters that have the potential to move up or down in the future.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Kano rocks indeed. What I love most is how you can mindfuck people with the airball (after jumping from a stage interaction) or coming in with f4 and d3. People get frustrated and I like that.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
I've found a nice midscreen combo in the lab which works like a charm online. It's this:

F212, F4 xx DB1EX, F4 xx BF3

It's about 32% without buff.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
'When you can' is the problem here :)

I'm all for newb sections in a combo thread. RC's are just impossible for me with Kano. So I'd stick with alternative combos. I hope I'm not the only one.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
'When you can' is the problem here :)

I'm all for newb sections in a combo thread. RC's are just impossible for me with Kano. So I'd stick with alternative combos. I hope I'm not the only one.
It's best to just keep them to yourself if you're a beginner. Also F212 4 DB1EX 112 ball is a better option if you can't do any run combos.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Well this might be true but how many players can execute the combos in your thread? I threw the list away since I'm not able to use it.
Oh well, just frustration I guess. Back to the training room.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Well this might be true but how many players can execute the combos in your thread? I threw the list away since I'm not able to use it.
In that case use s4 over f4 for more damage.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I mean this is a site for high level players so we're not really about what's consistent online or what doesn't use run cancels but we are about what's optimal offline. So we all can execute them, and that includes combos with run cancels because run cancelling is one of the most important mechanics in the game and high level players will have it down, it just might take us a few tries at first. You'll get there though, it just takes practice :)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
db1 is -8 (after patch?) making it safe/tight punish for a lot of characters. It reaches like half screen and allows for a run in 50/50 on hit. I feel this COULD be a a factor in some matchups where Kano is outranged, but I've just started exploring it.