What's new

Derek Kirtzic on Ranked Matchmaking in MK11

Ceroder

Noob

Killusion

Stream addict
Sooo something like KI, SF5 and multiple pc games have had for years? Cool I guess, how did NRS ranked work like before? I usually play in lobbies so I don't know lol.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Please have a rank for each individual character you use.
This would be fine, but it should work the way Tekken 7 does. Picking up a new character (even in Tekken) is way easier for someone who is above the casual level. What happened a lot in Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag 2 was that each character had their own rank, so you'd be starting out on a new character and just destroying lower ranked opponents. It probably wasn't fun for them to see someone with 0 wins and then get absolutely mopped by my bullshit day 1 Alisa/Lars team.

Once you reach a certain rank with one character, all other characters should be brought up a bit as well. Not to the rank your main is, but something above where a complete novice would start.

I doubt NRS will get this in depth with their ranking system, but this is how it should work.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Circus I was just gonna tag ya and tell you to get in here so we can celebrate XD

YES!!!! YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tag @Vslayer , fuck. DAMMIT YES!!!
Finally! lets just hope it's what we've been asking for!

AUHHHHHHH!!!

FIRST KANO THEN THIS!?!!? This week has been so incredible as far as MK11 news for me!

PLEASE be a good system like Tekken or SF5.

FUCK! I can't wait to see the details! Judging by NRS's attention to detail when it comes to other stuff, I bet it's going to be something amazing.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
This would be fine, but it should work the way Tekken 7 does. Picking up a new character (even in Tekken) is way easier for someone who is above the casual level. What happened a lot in Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag 2 was that each character had their own rank, so you'd be starting out on a new character and just destroying lower ranked opponents. It probably wasn't fun for them to see someone with 0 wins and then get absolutely mopped by my bullshit day 1 Alisa/Lars team.

Once you reach a certain rank with one character, all other characters should be brought up a bit as well. Not to the rank your main is, but something above where a complete novice would start.

I doubt NRS will get this in depth with their ranking system, but this is how it should work.
Would be totally fine with me, that's how it should be.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

You beat me to it. I've said it a hundred times now, but I'm gonna add on why I think Tekken's ranking is perfect for fighters for those unaware.

-Each character ranks individually.
-You're worst or unused character rank a "bracket" below your best character. I.E: If your best character is rank 15 all the lowest are moved up to rank 10.
-You rank only in close proximity to your rank in ranked matches. I.E: If your character is rank 15, the search only matches you against characters from rank 13-17.
-The closer the rank the more points you get to rank to the next level. I.E: Say each rank requires "8 rank points" to go to the next rank. If you are level 15, a ranked against another level 15 is worth 3 points, against a 14 or 16 is worth 2 points, and against a 13 or 17 is one point. This is also how you can lose points and be demoted a rank.
-You can rematch as many times as you like.

I am hoping, so hoping that MK11 pulls off something like this or have taken note and improved on it. I think they have an opportunity here to make the absolute best online experience and they have the team to do it so my fingers are crossed.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

I think they will. It may be the first time they'll implement this in their games but I feel like they have so many good examples to base this off of that they can't totally mess it up.

YES!!!! YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tag @Vslayer , fuck. DAMMIT YES!!!
Finally! lets just hope it's what we've been asking for!

AUHHHHHHH!!!

FIRST KANO THEN THIS!?!!? This week has been so incredible as far as MK11 news for me!

PLEASE be a good system like Tekken or SF5.

FUCK! I can't wait to see the details! Judging by NRS's attention to detail when it comes to other stuff, I bet it's going to be something amazing.
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO