What's new

Strategy Dealing with Deathstroke's zoning

My only issue has been lantern. His levitation throw thingy is tough to deal with.....it has priority over every other move with that range. I don't see death stroke as too much of threat. I just picked him up and while his zoning is really good....his overall combo out put is low. With no meter mid screed i can only pull of a 20%. While some of the big characters and superman can really kick the shiznit out of u if they get a 9 or 10 hit combo....or worse a lvl change. I've seen em do 30% on some environmental usage alone. (not combos just grab and throw) We'll see how it goes though...this is the first night. Ppl r still learning all the crappola in this game. The meter usage is crazy....all kinds of stuff to test out.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
My only issue has been lantern. His levitation throw thingy is tough to deal with.....it has priority over every other move with that range. I don't see death stroke as too much of threat. I just picked him up and while his zoning is really good....his overall combo out put is low. With no meter mid screed i can only pull of a 20%. While some of the big characters and superman can really kick the shiznit out of u if they get a 9 or 10 hit combo....or worse a lvl change. I've seen em do 30% on some environmental usage alone. (not combos just grab and throw) We'll see how it goes though...this is the first night. Ppl r still learning all the crappola in this game. The meter usage is crazy....all kinds of stuff to test out.
If his mid-screen damage was as high as it was pre-patch he would be broken TRUST ME. If you want something simple just use b1u2 3231 df1 and activate trait when u hit the ground afterward if you are feeling saucy.

jaym7018

Noob
The only thing more true is hes a scrubs savior. Far and away the easiest character to play and win with. Reminds me of a slightly less OP vanilla sagat in sf4.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I am not at home to test at the moment, but I am almost sure Sword Flip is -13 on block (assuming the startup of most moves are correct, I know there are a few which are wrong). This is one of the first things I tested.

Easiest way to test this, select Deathstroke in training and set the opponent to reversal. When sword flip is blocked, things such as GL Lift (10f), Flash's Lightning Charge (11f), and Cyborgs Power Fist (13f) punish this with reversal. However, moves such as Flash's Sonic Kick (14f) and Aquamans Scoop (14f) do not punish it.

(Note: Raven's soul crush is listed as 13f startup however I believe this is wrong. It does not punish things that other 13 or 14 frame moves can)

So using these examples you can deduce it is -13 and therefore punishable by some of the cast, if not most of it. Its up to you to figure out what your character has. We have excellent training mode this time around, no reason not to use it.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am not at home to test at the moment, but I am almost sure Sword Flip is -13 on block (assuming the startup of most moves are correct, I know there are a few which are wrong). This is one of the first things I tested.

Easiest way to test this, select Deathstroke in training and set the opponent to reversal. When sword flip is blocked, things such as GL Lift (10f), Flash's Lightning Charge (11f), and Cyborgs Power Fist (13f) punish this with reversal. However, moves such as Flash's Sonic Kick (14f) and Aquamans Scoop (14f) do not punish it.

(Note: Raven's soul crush is listed as 13f startup however I believe this is wrong. It does not punish things that other 13 or 14 frame moves can)

So using these examples you can deduce it is -13 and therefore punishable by some of the cast, if not most of it. Its up to you to figure out what your character has. We have excellent training mode this time around, no reason not to use it.
While it's definitely good that it's not totally safe, I'm really irritated that the strategy guide is already outdated/incorrect. It doesn't even list the frame data for the move, it literally just says "Totally safe when blocked except against Superman's Kryptonian Crush."

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm not going to claim to already be a master at the game or anything, but so far I seem to be extremely effective at utilizing Deathstroke's zoning to keep people out. If any of you guys want some practice dealing with his insane zoning, just hit me up and I'll be happy to go into the online lab with you. I figure that should be a productive experience for all parties involved. GT: Karaokelove.

-13? Exactly what Kano's Upball was? Coincidence? I think not!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

The problem I see arising with Flip is that, while it's -13, it also gives enough pushback that they can dash or armor out of a LOT of stuff, minus those who can move with the quickness as you said. It's 1.04 Kung Lao's Spin all over again :D.

REO

Undead
I feel the exact same way.

REO , I thought you were planning to put on the orange mask yourself. No 'Stroke for you?
I do use him.

You cannot duck under the Assault Rifle it still hits you. So how do you bypass that?

That is the issue I am having now online. I use Green Arrow and when people get mad that I beat they're other characters, they run to Deathstroke and I completely lose to him everysingle time by a landslide. All these players use the same tactic, run Deathstroke to the edge of they're side of the screen and just Assault Rifle shoot me all day. By the time I manage to get in, Iv'e taken a good amount of damage via Deathstroke's many other ways to lash out at you inbetween non shooting sessions. I am also usually well damaged from blocking the assault rifle. which as I mentioned, it still hits you even if you duck.

Can you breakdown the Assault Rifle Specifically - how to overcome it and still have enough health to where you can have a decent chance at a victory. Thanks.
The assault rifle leaves Deathstroke at lot of disadvantage. You should be able to crouch block it and then get a free dash in to cover ground.

Sent from my mobile

RiBBz22

SOMBERNESS WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

RiBBz22

LBSH, Somberness is at home right now enjoying a beer saying to himself "Thank Based God I don't have to do this again."
I say if the in game frame data does not improve any and leads to bad information running rampant...then we need to put together a donation drive to get Somberness to be our hero again.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just a thought.

How many people preached Noob was top 5 at launch because nobody could deal with his clones?

Now he's low mid.

Use your brains/common sense and zoning may not be such an issue, keep it in mind.
I do think that people should be patient and completely explore the matchup. I don't think noob is a good comparison though, because he couldn't add a guaranteed AA on reaction to his clone and clones didn't break armor.

There is 'zoning in general' and then there is Deathstroke. It's a slightly different set of concerns, so it should be treated as such.

I do use him.

The assault rifle leaves Deathstroke at lot of disadvantage. You should be able to crouch block it and then get a free dash in to cover ground.

Sent from my mobile
Cool thanks. Curious - how exatctly does the assault rifle leave him at a disadvantage?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I've actually been thinking the same thing ever since I picked him up.
Minus the Balls, this guy feels exactly like a Super Kano.

m2dave ,you're the Zoning Academy's Dumbledore. I'm very interested in your take. Thoughts?
I cannot say much. I just bought the game.

But Deathstroke definitely seems like a spammer. That gun shot has an incredible 10F start up.