What's new

Strategy Dealing with Deathstroke's zoning

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Dude he's -9 on the shoulder. Chill
No need to chill; I'm not bitching. Just pointing out that Doomsday is possibly more of a scrub-killer than Deathstroke, but you don't see any anti-Doomsday threads being posted. I'm honestly more confused than anything.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Deathstroke's zoning was designed in burst fashion to counter armor and force your opponent to get in manually. Since Deathstroke does not follow the rule of common single-fireball zoning, there are some tactics you can add to your game.

Best tips to deal with his zoning are:

- Ducking Low
By ducking low you avoid his instant air gun shots and standing gun shots. This means you strip his options into use low gun shots and assault rifle. Meter burn standing gun shots fire six bullets which do more chip on block. Crouching low gun shots fire four bullets which do less chip. Keep in mind if he decides to meter burn his assault rifle, it will fire a grenade that is an overhead and the end. You can see this on reaction and block standing.

- Staying on the ground more than the air
If Deathstroke's guns hit you while you are airborne, they will knock you further away from him. This can open up accidental teching which is what you do not want to do because it will put you even further away from him (important to remember this). It can also be very difficult to avoid streams of bullets while you are in the air. There is a very good chance you will be clipped and knocked away.

- Avoid trying to armor through
Since Deathstroke's projectiles are rapid fire shots that rip through armor (including most supers), it is a bad idea. Wasting meter on armor to try and bulldog your way in is what Deathstroke wants. Instead save your meter for other areas that you will need for when you do get in.

- Work you way in
You can work your way in on Deathstoke with proper movement. Unlike other high profile zoners (Cyborg, GL), Deathstroke's zoning does NOT push you back on block. This means you can crouch block gun shots and then inch your way in. Some characters with good dashes can even block gun shots, and then get a free dash in to cover more ground. Patience is a big key in this match and it plays an important role. Be aware of him randomly meter burning his gun shots if he sees you trying to mash forward dash while blocking, this may catch you by surprise so keep an eye on his meter.

- Dealing with Character Power (Unblockable Bullets)
You should always be on your toes trying to make sure Deathstroke can not go into his character power at ease. By constantly moving forward and staying on his tail, there is a very good chance he won't be able to use it with no consequence. His character power has a lot of start-up so many characters can punish him mid-screen, some even full-screen. If he does get it out, it's better to jump in the air and take minimal damage by taking air gun shots or being clipped by ground fire. Staying on the ground when he has his character power active is bad because he can easily drain 40% of your health.

I hope this helps some of you out there deal with his zoning better. There are some characters that can even outzone Deathstroke as well.

Sent from my mobile
Everyone should be forced to read this before blowing him away out of purportion. It's early also, mobility is generally the last thing people figure out about their character.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Having used Deathstroke online for a few hours now, I'm honestly not sure how you're supposed to fight him. Any knockdown is a free Assault Rifle, any jump (by the opponent) is a free Sword Flip, which leads to a free Assault Rifle. It also seems to be pretty easy to read jumps and catch them with Air Guns. I suppose you can work your way in if you're willing to eat the chip damage, but his Sword Flip is safe, and one wrong read and you find yourself full-screen again. This is definitely the most effective character I've ever used in a fighting game.

Skitzo

Noob
Having used Deathstroke online for a few hours now, I'm honestly not sure how you're supposed to fight him. Any knockdown is a free Assault Rifle, any jump (by the opponent) is a free Sword Flip, which leads to a free Assault Rifle. It also seems to be pretty easy to read jumps and catch them with Air Guns. I suppose you can work your way in if you're willing to eat the chip damage, but his Sword Flip is safe, and one wrong read and you find yourself full-screen again. This is definitely the most effective character I've ever used in a fighting game.
Yeah, if you call -21 safe lol

NKZero

Noob
Sword flip is safe? :joker:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, if you call -21 safe lol
Either the in-game frame data is wrong or the strategy guide is wrong. The strategy guide literally say it's completely safe on block, and only punishable by Superman's super move. So far I've been throwing it out liberally and no one has done shit about it. The in-game frame data seems to have issued with multi-hitting moves.

Right now Sword Flip is like the Kano Upball if it had a bigger hitbox and was safe on block.

jaym7018

Noob
May as well be i can fit a perfect jab in there and some characters d1 but factoring in lag and its risky to attempt a punish. I think his zoning is fine but his sword flip is gonna need looked at. Its probably the best wake up special ive seen to.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
May as well be i can fit a perfect jab in there and some characters d1 but factoring in lag and its risky to attempt a punish. I think his zoning is fine but his sword flip is gonna need looked at. Its probably the best wake up special ive seen to.
it should stay safe on block if it doesnt combo into anything, NRS don't turn this into another kano upball and make it shit >:I

jaym7018

Noob
You can combo after if you mb. You should be rewarded with knocking down a zoner like DS but thats not the case his sword flip is as close to a free wake up get outta jail free card you are gonna see imo.

Skitzo

Noob
You can combo after if you mb. You should be rewarded with knocking down a zoner like DS but thats not the case his sword flip is as close to a free wake up get outta jail free card you are gonna see imo.
There is no mb version

jaym7018

Noob
I wouldnt get to used to it imo. From what i gather the way move worked in earlier builds if the first hit was blocked the subsequent hits whiffed thats where the incorrect frame data is coming from. There really is no reason it should be safe.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
it should be safe tho, or safish. Stroke should have away to get people out of his face once they get in.

jaym7018

Noob
Its clear you arent interested in a balanced character. Black adams dive kick needs similar treatment and it cant be used on wake up. Every other fast forward advancing move ive tried is punishable on block. Including doomsdays who some of your fellow DS say is OP.

What does safe mean? Are you out of range for a punish? Is it slightly negative on block and the only option is to backdash, maybe b+3 can catch the backdash. Or is it positive on block and Deathstroke can pressure for free?

If a new fighting game is released, there is a lot of day 1 shit, take it as a challenge to figure out how to beat it. As an example, the most 3 hit strings have a gap (according to my frame chart). In Deathstrokes case there is a 13 Frame window after the 2nd hit of his 123, theoretically its possible to punsh inbetween with every move faster then 13 frames. The strings aren´t true blockstrings. Can anybody confirm that.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Its clear you arent interested in a balanced character. Black adams dive kick needs similar treatment and it cant be used on wake up. Every other fast forward advancing move ive tried is punishable on block. Including doomsdays who some of your fellow DS say is OP.
Black Adams dive kick is fine. He can't combo off of it at all. If he didn't have it, he could NEVER get in.

Deathstroke's zoning was designed in burst fashion to counter armor and force your opponent to get in manually. Since Deathstroke does not follow the rule of common single-fireball zoning, there are some tactics you can add to your game.

Best tips to deal with his zoning are:

- Ducking Low
By ducking low you avoid his instant air gun shots and standing gun shots. This means you strip his options into use low gun shots and assault rifle. Meter burn standing gun shots fire six bullets which do more chip on block. Crouching low gun shots fire four bullets which do less chip. Keep in mind if he decides to meter burn his assault rifle, it will fire a grenade that is an overhead and the end. You can see this on reaction and block standing.

- Staying on the ground more than the air
If Deathstroke's guns hit you while you are airborne, they will knock you further away from him. This can open up accidental teching which is what you do not want to do because it will put you even further away from him (important to remember this). It can also be very difficult to avoid streams of bullets while you are in the air. There is a very good chance you will be clipped and knocked away.

- Avoid trying to armor through
Since Deathstroke's projectiles are rapid fire shots that rip through armor (including most supers), it is a bad idea. Wasting meter on armor to try and bulldog your way in is what Deathstroke wants. Instead save your meter for other areas that you will need for when you do get in.

- Work you way in
You can work your way in on Deathstoke with proper movement. Unlike other high profile zoners (Cyborg, GL), Deathstroke's zoning does NOT push you back on block. This means you can crouch block gun shots and then inch your way in. Some characters with good dashes can even block gun shots, and then get a free dash in to cover more ground. Patience is a big key in this match and it plays an important role. Be aware of him randomly meter burning his gun shots if he sees you trying to mash forward dash while blocking, this may catch you by surprise so keep an eye on his meter.

- Dealing with Character Power (Unblockable Bullets)
You should always be on your toes trying to make sure Deathstroke can not go into his character power at ease. By constantly moving forward and staying on his tail, there is a very good chance he won't be able to use it with no consequence. His character power has a lot of start-up so many characters can punish him mid-screen, some even full-screen. If he does get it out, it's better to jump in the air and take minimal damage by taking air gun shots or being clipped by ground fire. Staying on the ground when he has his character power active is bad because he can easily drain 40% of your health.

I hope this helps some of you out there deal with his zoning better. There are some characters that can even outzone Deathstroke as well.

Sent from my mobile

You cannot duck under the Assault Rifle it still hits you. So how do you bypass that?

That is the issue I am having now online. I use Green Arrow and when people get mad that I beat they're other characters, they run to Deathstroke and I completely lose to him everysingle time by a landslide. All these players use the same tactic, run Deathstroke to the edge of they're side of the screen and just Assault Rifle shoot me all day. By the time I manage to get in, Iv'e taken a good amount of damage via Deathstroke's many other ways to lash out at you inbetween non shooting sessions. I am also usually well damaged from blocking the assault rifle. which as I mentioned, it still hits you even if you duck.

Can you breakdown the Assault Rifle Specifically - how to overcome it and still have enough health to where you can have a decent chance at a victory. Thanks.