What's new

Guide Dealing with breath loop - strategies for the whole cast (WIP)

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I only know this from Deathstroke's perspective personally, but since nobody else has shown willing to do it, I will. Need everyone else's input to flesh this out. This is specifically for dealing with simple repeated breath strings, but if people think I should expand the guide more (i.e., what if he takes another option after breath) then I'll do so. Posting incomplete to start, so that I can get as many eyes on this as possible.

Thanks to CrimsonShadow Riyo Relaxedstate AK Smarrgasm TH3DISTURBED1 Zoidberg747 dabuz charmangler poofynamanama2 TJ Casters Tiger Wong THTB AK Reno_Racks 4x4lo8o Doombawkz Under_The_Mayo insomnia_ftw NRF CharlieMurphy

Universal
  • PUSHBLOCK!
Aquaman
  • d1
  • Backdash, then f1 or b1 inbetween hits. Distance dependent, does not work against a deep f23.
  • f1 after breath
Ares

• MB f3
Bane
  • Backdash, b23 (midscreen only)
  • Double punch while in venom
Batgirl
  • d1 (can lead into combo)
  • df2 (meter burn can set up vortex)
  • Backdash, whiff punish with b12 (midscreen only)
Batman
  • Release bats after breath
  • 123 into combo
  • 113 into combo
  • Parry
Black Adam
  • d1
  • Backdash (midscreen only)
  • 11~trait
  • d1 works in corner, but can be whiff punished on bait
Catwoman
  • b3 (no meter burn required)
  • Backdash (midscreen only)
Cyborg
  • d1 (does not work in corner)
  • Grapple (forward or back works, strict timing), does not work if Superman has trait active
Deathstroke
  • d1
  • Block f23 crouching, then breath standing, then jb2. (midscreen only)
  • d3 after blocking breath lowers his hitbox enough to cleanly beat f2.
Doomsday

Flash
  • d2 lowers hitbox enough to evade f2
Green Arrow

Green Lantern
  • d1
  • Backdash, whiff punish with 12~MB rocket (midscreen only)
Harley Quinn

Hawkgirl
  • d2 after breath
  • Mace charge beats all follow-ups
The Joker
  • Parry
Killer Frost

Lex Luthor
  • Corps charge after breath will beat follow-ups
Lobo
Martian Manhunter(soon...)

Nightwing
  • 11 into combo
Raven

Scorpion
  • d3 lowers hitbox enough to go under f2
  • Teleport punch
Shazam
  • Backdash, b2~dbf1
Sinestro

Solomon Grundy

Superman

Wonder Woman
  • d3 lowers hitbox enough to evade f2
  • Can parry f2, 3 in lasso (parry both hits), leaves opening for b113 combo
  • Can parry f2, leaves opening for 11~spin combo
  • Can parry f2 in sword stance
Zod
  • Zod charge after breath will beat follow-ups

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Pretty sure GA can just savage blast outta there.

Lex can corp charge after the breath, but if supes reads it that means a full combo for him.

Most characters best option is to MB B3/F3 unless he has trait up in which case pushblock. But people are silly and still refuse to take these tactics seriously.

Game play discussion on TYM? What is this?
I love how you mock when you yourself have not discussed gameplay in months.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao

Lex can corp charge after the breath, but if supes reads it that means a full combo for him.

Most characters best option is to MB B3/F3 unless he has trait up in which case pushblock. But people are silly and still refuse to take these tactics seriously.

For what, unless I'm a top player everything I post would be ignored. Stay positive! :)
Have fun discussing MB B3 on reaction. :)

chores

bad at things
wonder woman:

after breath can d3 for a hard knock down

after breath on read can parry parry f23 in lasso which will cancel the next breath and give full damage boosted combo

can parry f2 in sword

chores

bad at things
She has to parry each hit individually? Just making sure I'm reading this correctly.

Midscreen only, correct?
in lasso she must parry f23 twice and the breath wont come out (parrying a normal cancels any linked specials) and she is at some huge advantage where she can go into max dmg combo.

in sword you only parry once because it goes into a canned attack sequence like a batman or joker parry

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

Arrow kan't Savage Blast out of the loop.

Aside from backdashing with some characters, every solution you find here will always be inferior to pushblocking or doing nothing.

Because every other answer loses to Superman waiting half a second before going F23 again. It's a mixup and the risk vs reward is not in most characters favor. If you do nothing and Superman backdashes, you can't do anything about it. If you backdash and Superman does nothing, he can whiff punish your backdash on reaction with Super or chase your backdash with a dash and F23 again.

Safer options = do nothing (hold back), pushblock, backdash
Risky options = interrupt, jump, MB b3, MB interactable

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Aside from backdashing with some characters, every solution you find here will always be inferior to pushblocking or doing nothing.

Because every other answer loses to Superman waiting half a second before going F23 again. It's a mixup and the risk vs reward is not in most characters favor. If you do nothing and Superman backdashes, you can't do anything about it. If you backdash and Superman does nothing, he can whiff punish your backdash on reaction with Super or chase your backdash with a dash and F23 again.

Safer options = do nothing (hold back), pushblock, backdash
Risky options = interrupt, jump, MB b3, MB interactable

Well said. I still can't believe some people don't think he's as good as he is.

HG can D1 the next F23 clean after breath.
D2 makes the next F23, most attacks, and forward or neutral jump impossible.
MC also beats any attackthat's not his super or his flying grab (which just phases through MC) after breath and if he dashes back all he can do is block vs MC.

But if he jumps backwards....... He can laser and punish every ground attack.
WE3 beats that though.

I know for certain that some people can't. Black Adam is the only one off the top of my head who I am certain can, and he has the best backdash in the game.
Ah, well sorry. I thought the whole cast could. Anyways, I think characters can use super to get out, since they get armor. I'll look for other character-specific options as well.