What's new

DBF input in MK11

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Are the typical DBF input moves in MK11? I´ve heard that they will dissapear.... is that true? Will it be helpful for grappler char players?
What do you think?
That is an easy input for me and should be for anyone. Remember, MK games register inputs like these even when you perform smooth, Street Fighter type inputs such quarter circle back for DB. Finish the motion by quickly pressing forward after the quarter circle back and you are done.

I have confidence that everyone here can perform a fireball motion and then press the opposite diction on the d-pad. It's really easy. If you have been tapping in these types of inputs instead of using smooth motions like Street Fighter or Marvel games, then you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Take a look at the following:
DF = quarter circle forward
DB = quarter circle back
DBF = quarter circle back, then press forward.

These are even easier on an arcade stick.

Last edited:

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
That is an easy input for me and should be for anyone. Remember, MK games register inputs like these even when you perform smooth, Street Fighter type inputs such quarter circle back for DB. Finish the motion by quickly pressing forward after the quarter circle back and you are done.

I have confidence that everyone here can perform a fireball motion and then press the opposite diction on the d-pad. It's really easy. If you have been tapping in these types of inputs instead is using smooth motions like Street Fighter or Marvel games, then you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Take a look at the following:
DF = quarter circle forward
DB = quarter circle back
DBF = quarter circle back, then press forward.

These are even easier on an arcade stick.
Ok, ok.That´s true
But ....remember ALL the inputs in NRS games has 2 directions....all...except this DBF moves that has 3. It´s simple , if you need to do 3 directions before the button it makes it harder to perform.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Ok, ok.That´s true
But ....remember ALL the inputs in NRS games has 2 directions....all...except this DBF moves that has 3. It´s simple , if you need to do 3 directions before the button it makes it harder to perform.
Just a question for you and for all others who may be having trouble with this. Do you also play other fighting games that use quarter circle motions for the special moves? If not, then I fully understand that the DBF motion may be a bit tougher for you to perform. But remember, do not tap the directions in. Just perform the Ryu hurricane kick motion (quarter circle back) then press forward and the button.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I mean a lot of distortion drives in blazblue would be along the lines of 6321456 which is essentially hcb-f. I can do those consistently but fairly regularly I always fuck up dbf inputs. Especially on moves that don't have a lot of active frames, so the buffer window is smaller. I never understood how I can do 360s, 720s, and 1080s 100% of the time lol but mess up a qcb-f input. I even have better execution on z's and pretzels. I'm weird.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I've never found the input troublesome after practice, but that's just me, considering my history with the MK series, as well as having played non-NRS games with the input already.

Pretty progressive, though, to axe the input. I'm surprised command throws aren't just turned into fdb or dbf inputs.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Haven't seen enough moves to know if there's none whatsoever with the DBF input, but I think the frustrating thing about inputs of this nature is that the characters that usually have them, have plenty of other input vacancy to map them to. It's like NRS even conceded this when they made Sun God Kotal's command grab just a DB input in MKX.

Another example is Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick/Windmill Punch, why is the input FBF4 when BF4 isn't already occupied?

Granted, compared to some command grab inputs in other fighting games, DBF is still a pretty generous one, any 'unusual' input will take time to train yourself to get used to.
I always just figured it was because they are generally more powerful moves than other specials, so the execution is slightly more difficult to make up for it.

But I still hate it, and won’t use characters that use those inputs.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Can't we make all command grabs one button like grundys? pls
This was by far one of the most difficult combo strings to learn.

But once it “clicks” and you finally get how to do it, it’s probably one of the most satisfying things in the game.

No offence intended (despite the fact that "offence" lies solely in the lap of the beholder)... However, if people cannot muster the tenacity to hone their motor skills to the modicum degree necessary to synchronise a 180-degree directional input motion, followed by a button press -- or just haven't the inclination to -- frankly... the fighting game genre is not for them.

It's not unlike how playing as a set of anonymous, floating hands or a bobbing, nondescript firearm that's sutured the invisible chin of an un-sighted avatar ("first-person"), is not for me, fighting games, too, are not all for everyone. Just because a certain genre of game exists, does not mean everyone has to be able to play it -- literally: the games do not have to condescend to whatever depth is required to accommodate a particular ilk of gamer.

We do not all 'have to' watch capeshit cinema--even if it is so ubiquitous. Guns are not being held to our heads, forcing us to endure any of the aforementioned exampled entertainment genres...

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
I find the input fine but awkward for combo enders but for using on its own or for tick throws i always mess it up. I hope we get a HCF/HCB or even a 360 input instead.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Just a question for you and for all others who may be having trouble with this. Do you also play other fighting games that use quarter circle motions for the special moves? If not, then I fully understand that the DBF motion may be a bit tougher for you to perform. But remember, do not tap the directions in. Just perform the Ryu hurricane kick motion (quarter circle back) then press forward and the button.
Yes, but doing that quickly enough to tick off a b1 (Jason) can be a pain in the ass.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Yes, but doing that quickly enough to tick off a b1 (Jason) can be a pain in the ass.
I just takes practice. It's muscle memory for me I suppose. Plus, using arcade sticks makes that task a whole lot easier.

I would see if Jason can tick throw off of just a normal, not a command normal like b1. That would be much easier. D1 and standing normals are always easier to tick throw with.

trufenix

bye felicia
I've never found the input troublesome after practice, but that's just me, considering my history with the MK series, as well as having played non-NRS games with the input already.

Pretty progressive, though, to axe the input. I'm surprised command throws aren't just turned into fdb or dbf inputs.
I don't think it really became a problem until MK9 and later Injustice when the b,b and f,f, inputs went off the table. Cause I don't remember hating it with Sheeva but I fucking hated it with Jason.

I've also never understood why jut "forward,back+button" is so taboo. It worked for KI way back.

BecomingDeath13

Just because a certain genre of game exists, does not mean everyone has to be able to play it -- literally: the games do not have to condescend to whatever depth is required to accommodate a particular ilk of gamer.
Casuals drive sales. The day that hardcore mk players are the only mk players. That'll be the day mk dies.
So yeah, they do actually have to cater to the casuals....to a degree

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
also, seriously, play a kof game, this is nothing. EX layer has execution higher than nrs.
Fighting EX Layer is really good! It's a shame that more people do not play it. Thank goodness ARIKA made that game. It's probably the most fun I've had with a fighting game in a while.

PS4 and Steam constantly place that game on sale for $19 or $25 depending on the discount.

Aramonde

Noob
It's crazy to me that people find DBF harder than 360's. I've never been able to pull off 360's consistently but BDF is a breeze.

BecomingDeath13

It's crazy to me that people find DBF harder than 360's. I've never been able to pull off 360's consistently but BDF is a breeze.
That shit has always fascinated me. Like in games I'll breeze through something and my friends will struggle. Then I'll struggle on something they breeze through. My buddy Greg says Dark Souls 1 is harder than Bloodborne. It is the inverse with me, however.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Yeah that's the thing tho, ppl who are used to command grab inputs being 360 or fdb find it difficult to execute dbf motion because it goes against their muscle memory. command grabs have always had a fluid single direction motion, but as usual, NRS find it necessary to be innovative in basic universal stuff when they don't really have to.

It's stuff like this is why Anton Yelchin died an agonizing death.