What's new

Cyrax, Rain, Reptile and Shinok deconfirmed?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I'm fairly certain the "tail" issue was the cause of his variations. The concept art also indicates he had a throat sac to "vomit" forceballs, but everything had to be left on the cutting room floor.

I think a major contributor to Reptile's "plain-jane" design in MKX was the haste to make up for lost time on a concept that didn't pan out. I consider certain attack animations (b1, the standing forceball) artifacts of this.

I hope that, with the technology there, further issues won't preclude his inclusion.
Except that's not the case at all. NRS had some ideas of giving Reptile a Lizard form in the a similar way to MKDA, that is true, but that has nothing to do with the Variations he got in terms of moves. The whole idea of Reptile's Variations was to keep him as versatile as he can be in all of them, because that's how he was in every game he was playable. He could've have their original design idea and he would still have the Variations to be the way there are now in terms of moveset, move to move. And even if he would've got one or two moves different or added due to the addition of a tail and/or throat sack, he would still have all of his moves across all of his Variations with the exception of one move on each Variation with the same input, of Poison Gas (Noxious), Invisibility (Deceptive) and Basilisk (Nimble).

And regardless, the way that his Variations are in MKX makes him unique, and therefore awesome, in that game, because when you go deeper to his options in each Variation, you can clearly see how similar, yet still different, each of them are. That brings Reptile a unique layer of depth. Not every character is gonna be the same, and every moveset is awesome on it's own terms. MKX Reptile is amazing in all aspects.

And speaking of design alone, now that MK11 is using stronger technology, it should be easier to give Reptile a whole new design. But regardless how e would turned out to be, he is gonna be awesome, because that's how he was in every game.

He is gonna be in MK11, almost certainly.

About Rain ..
I just dont understand why would he do that ..
Its more of an insult rather than a troll/tease/joke

I mean he knows how much we want him + already did it and made us all mad -with the cameo thing in mkx -after teasing so hard.
Now its happining again for the second time in a row

Why didnt they just stopped teasing and never put him or his pic ( or the likes of him ) in the game and just carried on with the roster
Why just doing all this on purpose?
For other character its explainable , they want to make us gussing , thats fine , but with rain it reached another level beyond the respect for the fans

I dont know if you guys can get my point here
But its REALLY so strange ..

SenSx

Noob
About Rain ..
I just dont understand why would he do that ..
Its more of an insult rather than a troll/tease/joke

I mean he knows how much we want him + already did it and made us all mad -with the cameo thing in mkx -after teasing so hard.
Now its happining again for the second time in a row

Why didnt they just stopped teasing and never put him or his pic ( or the likes of him ) in the game and just carried on with the roster
Why just doing all this on purpose?
For other character its explainable , they want to make us gussing , thats fine , but with rain it reached another level beyond the respect for the fans

I dont know if you guys can get my point here
But its REALLY so strange ..
Rain is in, no point to have him on the menu otherwise.

Just imagine the contrary, each time we will play solo mode we will have him standing there, as a reminder of him being the only unplayable one showing on those pics: "Hello, I'm not playable again !"
Haha
Besides he is put as a character you can play, not fight against or see in some side solo mods (modifier, boss, or NPC).
This is the base of iconography, the professionnals doing this try to make the most intuitive icones for the players, they have to send an intuitive message.

They know fans did not like the fightable NPC stuff in MKX, they are not going to do that again (They confirmed it in an interview), and changing this picture would be easy, so it serves a purpose.

And I'm not saying NRS did wrong in MKX and needs to apology.
They just wanted more cameos to please the fans.
But they probably aknowledged the frustrations, and wants to fix that with Baraka, Rain and Sindel coming back.
My 2 cents.

Besides, Prince died 2 years ago, maybe Boon and the others want to pay him a tribute ?

Of course I'm not 100% sure and try to convince myself too, but that reasoning makes sense to me.

mattteo

Noob
Rain is in, no point to have him on the menu otherwise.

Just imagine the contrary, each time we will play solo mode we will have him standing there, as a reminder of him being the only unplayable one showing on those pics: "Hello, I'm not playable again !"

That is if that IS Rain, which I'm not so sure it is. It could be a totally different character, invented for story mode like Shujinko, Taven and the kombat kids were.

SenSx

Noob
That is if that IS Rain, which I'm not so sure it is. It could be a totally different character, invented for story mode like Shujinko, Taven and the kombat kids were.
And there I disagree.
You can argue it does not mean he is playable, but not that this is not Rain.

https://imgtc.com/i/jYEUDHA.jpg

Purple and gold clothes, the ponytail, the back of the mask which is purple just like in MKX, the overall oriental design they give to him in modern MK...
The purple tone of the image to make people think of him.

It would be a silly move to create a whole new character cosplaying Rain instead of bringing back the character fans want in the first place, makes no sense...

Last edited:
And there I disagree.
You can argue it does not mean he is playable, but not that this is not Rain.

https://imgtc.com/i/jYEUDHA.jpg

Purple and gold cloth, the ponytail, the back of the mask which is purple just like in MKX, the overall oriental design they give to him in modern MK...
The purple tone of the image to make people think of him.

It would be a silly move to create a whole new character cosplaying Rain instead of bringing back the character fans want in the first place, makes no sense...
Not only does he look like Rain, but the whole image is really purple-y too, which is obviously Rain's color.

EDIT: Just noticed you were also talking about the overall tone, no idea how I missed it but now my response looks silly haha.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Yeah, the sooner that happens the better.
Because there's so many characters in the MK franchise, it's understandable that there's this uneasy feeling over the community, as there's always a chance people's favourites won't be on the roster. So people cling on to the smallest of things as "confirmations" that their faves are in, even if it doesn't really mean anything.

My fave is Jade and Rain is also up there, so the hints there have been for those two gives me a small hope they will be in... but I'm not going to accept as any of them as confirmed for the roster before NRS official confirms they are.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Rain deserves to be fully flushed out this game after his set up in X.

I dont think Reptile would be back but if they could do Human Reptile for dlc I think thats one of the hypest choices they could make.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’d like to see Rain back, he’s cool.

I think Reptile is a lame character but he always brings something cool to the table mechanically so it’d be a shame for him to go.

Shinnok can sit it out

Cyrax I can take or leave

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
They’re deconfirmed,
i even made a video
you can probably add human smoke and ermac to the list too tbh. It’s a stretch but raider has a float stance like ermac and scorpion has smokes smoke ball projectile (but his is fire) it’s almost the exact same animation, and that greyish ninja on the menu is just a generic ninja not him. maybe they’ll be dlc but it looks like a lot of the ninjas aren’t returning.

mattteo

Noob
Not only does he look like Rain, but the whole image is really purple-y too, which is obviously Rain's color.

EDIT: Just noticed you were also talking about the overall tone, no idea how I missed and now my response looks silly haha.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOOOOVE for Rain to be in the game, I'm on of his biggest fans. His regal appearance and fight in the Outworld Marketplace and him pushing Kotal Kahn off the building was what saved an otherwise lacklustre game for me.

But him, Reptile, Shinnok and Cyrax go hand in hand. That's why they have the 4 icons when choosing modifiers. As Shinnok is just a head on the wall and with the modifiers characters not usually on the main roster neither in MK nor in Injustice (except for Raven in Injutice 1 I think), I'd say there's a 90% chance that the 4 are not playable.

They could be DLC later on, like Martian Manhunter, who had a modifier and later became DLC.

SenSx

Noob
They’re deconfirmed,
i even made a video
you can probably add human smoke and ermac to the list too tbh. It’s a stretch but raider has a float stance like ermac and scorpion has smokes smoke ball projectile (but his is fire) it’s almost the exact same animation, and that greyish ninja on the menu is just a generic ninja not him. maybe they’ll be dlc but it looks like a lot of the ninjas aren’t returning.
I don't think the modifier is enough do deconfirm Rain who also shows up on the menu, but we'll see...

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOOOOVE for Rain to be in the game, I'm on of his biggest fans. His regal appearance and fight in the Outworld Marketplace and him pushing Kotal Kahn off the building was what saved an otherwise lacklustre game for me.

But him, Reptile, Shinnok and Cyrax go hand in hand. That's why they have the 4 icons when choosing modifiers. As Shinnok is just a head on the wall and with the modifiers characters not usually on the main roster neither in MK nor in Injustice (except for Raven in Injutice 1 I think), I'd say there's a 90% chance that the 4 are not playable.

They could be DLC later on, like Martian Manhunter, who had a modifier and later became DLC.
Honestly, I can't imagine a gamemode with Rain on it without him being playable, that would just be insulting (especially after what happened in MKX). But for now, we can't be sure whether it's really him...
And about the modifiers, maybe he has been reworked and lost his bubble move, that would explain why it's an icon with his MKX costume.

Last edited:

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
I don't think the modifier is enough do deconfirm Rain who also shows up on the menu, but we'll see...
His menu design looks a lot like his mkx design and not a new one.....I love rain but I’m just going with what I see, seems like we’re nit getting him :(

SenSx

Noob

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Rain and Jade were confirmed at the mk11 reveal, when they were showing the pro players stats, it was subtle.

Please read more
Along with Tweedy listing Jade -- 16Bit was clear that they were allowed to say whichever character they wanted, and it wasn't a hint about the roster.

I'm also not convinced that purple guy in the menu screen is Rain. We'll see. This video is pretty damning IMO -- nobody in IJ2 who had an attack assist like this wound up playable.

Reactions: JSF