What's new

Cyrax, Rain, Reptile and Shinok deconfirmed?

Lokheit

Noob
They're all featured as tower assists, something that historically features non playable characters in MKX and I2 (the cyborgs didn't appear as their own characters).

It might still be placeholders, but this isn't a good sign for any of these characters.

The source is this video showing a full tower:

SenSx

Noob
Yes but you can also notice Noob Saibot has his own Tower or modifiers, on the lower right.
And I think Noob Saibot is one of the most likely character to return, he is the most popular.

I heard Injustice 2 also had tones of modifiers for playable characters, not sure.

It certainely hurts to see that as someone who badly wants Rain.
But Rain also shows on the Konquer picture, and for me that's a bigger clue of his presence as playable.
That would not make sense otherwise, all characters showing on those pics are playable.

Lokheit

Noob
Yes but you can also notice Noob Saibot has his own Tower or modifiers, on the lower right.
And I think Noob Saibot is one of the most likely character to return, he is the most popular.

I heart Injustice 2 also had tones of modifiers for playable characters, not sure.

It certainely hurts to see that as someone who badly wants Rain.
But they huy also shows on the Konquer picture, and for me that's a bigger clue of his presence as playable.
That would not make sense otherwise, all characters showing on those pics are playable.
The Noob one could be one where you get him as an ally, same thing I2 did with playable characters.

Lokheit

Noob
I don't think so. The very same video shows Raiden, Scorpion and Sun Zero assists...
They're shown as summons. I2 had playable summons and non playable assists. Those items show playable summons and then those an assists too.

The items clearly say that you summon some and get just the attack effect for others.

This is exactly the pattern of I2 where playable characters would show up when assisting and non playable I1 characters wouldn't, just their attack.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
They're shown as summons. I2 had playable summons and non playable assists. Those items show playable summons and then those an assists too.

The items clearly say that you summon some and get just the attack effect for others.

This is exactly the pattern of I2 where playable characters would show up when assisting and non playable I1 characters wouldn't, just their attack.
Yeah, I just went back to look and you're right!

Probably a little much to deconfirm them at this stage though

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I think that they might have done it on purpose because they knew that this mode was gonna be showcased somewhere before release, so they put that text for those modifiers now so they will be able to swerve and to reveal some of those characters, if not all of them, later down the line. The game is still in an early stage, and I heard somewhere that MK11, other then Geras, Kronika (who might not even be playable) and maybe one or two chars tops, is gonna feature only returning chars at launch, not including Shao Kahn of course. So there is still a chance for them to come back.

NRS already struggled with Reptile variations in mkx. I don't see him come back.
Every thing that they've done with Reptile in MKX was done on purpose, they did it that way because Reptile is a versatile character at it's core, unlike almost the rest of cast, so that he will always be a versatile character. And they did a perfect job with him, it wasn't a struggle at all. Not to mention that the Variations in MK11 are gonna be vastly different then in MKX as you can customize them to your liking anyway.

Lokheit

Noob
Yeah, I just went back to look and you're right!

Probably a little much to deconfirm them at this stage though
Yeah, it's still possible that some might be placeholders to misdirect rumors, though programming them as an assist with assist portrait and assist item just for that might be too much if in the final version they're going to be summons, but who knows. I'd say at least the chances of each of them dropped considerably. If I had to bet on one of them being playable I'd say Rain.

SenSx

Noob
I'm still optimistic for Rain.

He shows up in the menu, and Sonic had him showed as main on his fight card.

As for Reptile, Cyrax and Shinnok ?
They do not seem that likely...

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Wasnt Rain listed as Sonic’s main on that fight card?
Along with Tweedy listing Jade -- 16Bit was clear that they were allowed to say whichever character they wanted, and it wasn't a hint about the roster.

I'm also not convinced that purple guy in the menu screen is Rain. We'll see. This video is pretty damning IMO -- nobody in IJ2 who had an attack assist like this wound up playable.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I'm still optimistic for Rain.

He shows up in the menu, and Sonic had him showed as main on his fight card.

As for Reptile, Cyrax and Shinnok ?
They do not seem that likely...
Shinnok has done his thing in MKX, I'm happy to see him get benched. Reptile too I can live without for a game, even though I'm kind of accostumed to always have a pocket Reptile.

A shame for Cyrax though, I'd really like to have the real Cyborgs in the game. Triborg was ok at the time, but he never was the real deal.

Along with Tweedy listing Jade -- 16Bit was clear that they were allowed to say whichever character they wanted, and it wasn't a hint about the roster.

I'm also not convinced that purple guy in the menu screen is Rain. We'll see. This video is pretty damning IMO -- nobody in IJ2 who had an attack assist like this wound up playable.
Well that hurts. It really was Rain's time to shine.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
You guys are forgetting that Cyrax and Smoke "assists" just like these ones existed in MKX at launch, and Cyrax and cyber-Smoke ended up becoming playable as DLC characters.

The furthest I'd go is to say these characters seem not destined for the launch roster. But there's always DLC.

NRS already struggled with Reptile variations in mkx. I don't see him come back.
NRS struggled with Reptile because they really wanted to give him a tail that would be a core part of his moveset, but limitations at the time prevented it. (They also wanted to give Kung Lao a mask in his Revenant form, but that didn't happen either for similar reasons, unfortunately. Hope he has one now in one of his costumes.) Alien proved that they figured out how to make that possible.

Roy Arkon

NRS struggled with Reptile because they really wanted to give him a tail that would be a core part of his moveset, but limitations at the time prevented it. (They also wanted to give Kung Lao a mask in his Revenant form, but that didn't happen either for similar reasons, unfortunately. Hope he has one now in one of his costumes.) Alien proved that they figured out how to make that possible.
No that's not the case at all. See my earlier post in the thread. It had nothing do with with such things.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
You guys are forgetting that Cyrax and Smoke "assists" just like these ones existed in MKX at launch, and Cyrax and cyber-Smoke ended up becoming playable as DLC characters.
I'm not forgetting that, but I think there was a cheat there -- "Triborg" was technically not those characters lorewise. And then in IJ2 all these attack assists were reserved for non-playable characters, much to people's dismay given that one of them was Constantine.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I'm not sure what to say.

Precedent would lead you to be correct, but I can't imagine an MK roster without Reptile on it.

Roy Arkon

I'm not sure what to say.

Precedent would lead you to be correct, but I can't imagine an MK roster without Reptile on it.
MK Deception and MK Vs. DC didn't had Reptile (in MKD he was only in mentions and cameos like in Sindel's ending but not playable or fightable), so it's not something new per se. However, aside from Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Reptile is the most important male Ninja still, so Reptile still has a good chance to appear in MK11.

Also considering that Rain is seems to have an assist as well while also shown here and there as a tease, if Rain is gonna be there, Reptile can also be there.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If they stick to the story as its supposed to play out, even in alternate timeline world, I think Rain's getting in.

Shinnok should stay a head. Out.
If Onaga is in, Reptile technically shouldn't even be possible, unless he's from another timeline. That's Onaga's body right there.
I predict Cyrax is going to be martyred for the fanbase in the Story by melting while going to get the Dragon Egg, but then brought back as DLC to thunderous applause.
But Rain? Rain gets in. Not counting MKA, he hasn't had a main roster spot since he debuted. He is beloved and purple and regal as all hell. And if they're doing the Edenia story, it'd help to have probably the last surviving Edenian, til Jade comes back.

Rain gets in.