What's new

Cyrax Official Character Trailer!

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Pfft keep telling yourself that. Move that fucking goalpost again.

Multiple fans shit on the game? “it sold well”
The microtransactions are out of control? “It sold well”
They shit in your mouth and told you its chocolate? Cool it sold well.

The new guest character likeup is GARBAGE. Actual joke. Also the gender swaps are lol. You would watch this franchise change so much its not even the same fucking concept besides the fucking name and then say it’s fucking amazing and that’s the problem. But it sells well!

Maybe you enjoy watching Mk become Mcdonalds or fucking Amazon with it’s generic designs, shit rewrite of all of the characters, and dumbass kameos that don’t fit in MK but I don’t and hopefully fans will recognize and vote with their wallets. Lord knows several franchises are hitting hard times due to ignoring fans. MK is not exempt from that.

So besides strawmanning me and going on an unhinged, emotional rant, you also blatantly ignored the part where I said I don't support the microtransactions. Cool.

I sincerely think you and many others didn't catch on to the concept of the, "New Era." Poor PrinceGoro can't even understand that Scorpion isn't a Netherrealm Specter in this game.

The designs and characters were always going to be different. That was the entire point. To change things.

Online chuds ain't sending their best, I tell ya.

PrinceGoro

Dojo Trainee
So besides strawmanning me and going on an unhinged, emotional rant, you also blatantly ignored the part where I said I don't support the microtransactions. Cool.

I sincerely think you and many others didn't catch on to the concept of the, "New Era." Poor PrinceGoro can't even understand that Scorpion isn't a Netherrealm Specter in this game.

The designs and characters were always going to be different. That was the entire point. To change things.

Online chuds ain't sending their best, I tell ya.
Lmao, its rich thay you call anybody a chud.

You are a terminally online self admitted troll,on an mk forum...

I dont know whats more pathetic that or the fact that in your deranged mind you actually think you are winning arguments.

guys this has gone far beyond the stated purpose of discussing the trailer. Enough about looks.

what do people think of the gameplay? It looks like she is a setplay character with the bombs.
But maybe she can do some setplay but isn’t based around that?

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Lmao, its rich thay you call anybody a chud.

You are a terminally online self admitted troll,on an mk forum...

I dont know whats more pathetic that or the fact that in your deranged mind you actually think you are winning arguments.
Aww, no arguments?

Psst, let me help you:

In MK1, Scorpion is a human, not a demon.

Hope that clears up your confusion earlier.

YagamiFire

Dojo Trainee
Time to pack it up. What you loved about MK no longer exists. It's a different thing now, not for you anymore. MK now belongs to the audience you argue against.
That's fine. Just saves me money to put towards better games. I still have access to every single previous game if I get the desire to play them. Replayed Shaolin Monks last year. Still fun AF. Got plenty of other games to play too.

I don't ever feel a need to chase the newest iteration of something or to convince myself it's "good actually". Hopefully it can return to form at some point. Other franchises have.

That's fine. Just saves me money to put towards better games. I still have access to every single previous game if I get the desire to play them. Replayed Shaolin Monks last year. Still fun AF. Got plenty of other games to play too.

I don't ever feel a need to chase the newest iteration of something or to convince myself it's "good actually". Hopefully it can return to form at some point. Other franchises have.
Unfortunately there's no good form ahead. We live in the era of cultural decline and enshittification of everything. As metrics and marketers shape pop culture (now more than ever) there's no salvation for MK.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
I seriously wanna know where all these reactionary chuds are coming from. Does TYM keep them under the floor boards or something?

It either boils down to basically these core arguments:

A) It's not like it was before, ergo it is objectively bad

B) I don't personally like it, therefore it is objectively bad.

And basically everytime you prove that reality doesn't line up with the, "decline" they envision in their heads, they go on hyper emotional little rants where they call you everything short of slurs.

It's okay if the series isn't for you anymore. Hell, it's okay if you don't personally like it, but just say that and stop making it a part of a larger culture war that only exists inside your heads.

You outgrew the silly fighting game with magic ninjas. That's okay. The west has not fallen. We are not in some kind of cultural decline because you're big mad that MK moved on from Midi files and live action models.

Grow up, nerds.

I think your category B here is how most humans feel when they dislike games. I agree there ARE some weird Gamergaters here who never realized gamergate is over. Just as heroes live long enough to become villains, these posters have posted long enough to become LOLcows themselves.

But not all of us are reactionary chuds. The user that used the term “enshitification” isn’t too far off the truth though I would say the term “shrinkflation” is more precise for the full priced shrunken game they sold us.

I would like to clarify that I appreciate inclusion and diversity in games, I love how Rain, and Quan Chi are both desi (south asian), MK technically got a character with a Pakistani face before Tekken did and that’s awesome. I’ve said elsewhere I like the games Orientalist aesthetic.
There are aspects though that seem derivative of comic book movies - mainly the plot and some of the characters. I am excited though that the expansion trailer begins at Scorpions disrupted wedding, because the lore should be filled with character grudges and revenge. I hope the vibes are less “we’re here to save the world” and everything goes for a dark turn which honestly I believe is going to happen.
I am hopeful and I actually play this game a lot.
But I have high expectations.
Just as an aside, I thought something similar happened with the amazing Prince of Persia reboot, which has a Farsi dub, and they took a lot of time to make the game feel Persian, but then they gave the protagonist a Killmonger haircut. Then Eddy came out in Tekken and he had the same haircut haha.
There’s definitely some homework being copied going on. Devs want to be inclusive but they’d rather copy what worked (Disney’s/Marvel’s output) than reach into the ether and pull out an idea that better suits their own game.

Last edited:

YagamiFire

Dojo Trainee
Unfortunately there's no good form ahead. We live in the era of cultural decline and enshittification of everything. As metrics and marketers shape pop culture (now more than ever) there's no salvation for MK.
I don't think so. We have plenty of good stuff coming out. SF6, for example, is the best representation of Street Fighter in a video game of all time. I don't mean to say it's "the best SF ever" from a gameplay standpoint since there's a lot of subjectivity wrapped up in that, but rather it is a game that encapsulates SF in the best manner ever. It represents a coherent, intelligible communication of the concepts of SF better than anything ever and by a gargantuan margin. The elements that build up SF with characters, lore, presentation and such are better realized in SF6 than in anything we've ever received. That is really cool. It represents a great way to bring people into the fandom of really loving it and its characters. It is a more robust product than we've got before. Fatal Fury seems to be doing the same with its newest game.

Plenty of games are good. Plenty of everything is good. Are major American comics largely in decline/flat out bad? Sure. Is there good comics still in that bunch? Yes, even if they are not common. Is the medium still getting good stuff from elsewhere? Absolutely. Independents, manhua, manhwa, manga and other comics have some great stuff coming out all the time and springing up. Etc etc.

We are certainly at a point where some major things are bad but that's just the give & take of franchises, franchise-ownership and trends. It waxes and wanes.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I think your category B here is how most humans feel when they dislike games. I agree there ARE some weird Gamergaters here who never realized gamergate is over. Just as heroes live long enough to become villains, these posters have posted long enough to become LOLcows themselves.

But not all of us are reactionary chuds. The user that used the term “enshitification” isn’t too far off the truth though I would say the term “shrinkflation” is more precise for the full priced shrunken game they sold us.

I would like to clarify that I appreciate inclusion and diversity in games, I love how Rain, and Quan Chi are both desi (south asian), MK technically got a character with a Pakistani face before Tekken did and that’s awesome. I’ve said elsewhere I like the games Orientalist aesthetic.
There are aspects though that seem derivative of comic book movies - mainly the plot and some of the characters. I am excited though that the expansion trailer begins at Scorpions disrupted wedding, because the lore should be filled with character grudges and revenge. I hope the vibes are less “we’re here to save the world” and everything goes for a dark turn which honestly I believe is going to happen.
I am hopeful and I actually play this game a lot.
But I have high expectations.
Just as an aside, I thought something similar happened with the amazing Prince of Persia reboot, which has a Farsi dub, and they took a lot of time to make the game feel Persian, but then they gave the protagonist a Killmonger haircut. Then Eddy came out in Tekken and he had the same haircut haha.
There’s definitely some homework being copied going on. Devs want to be inclusive but they’d rather copy what worked (Disney’s/Marvel’s output) than reach into the ether and pull out an idea that better suits their own game.
I still don’t agree with a few things here but props for having a generally much more measured and reasonable take.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I do think a lot of these frustrations around changing characters could have been avoided if they simply made new characters instead of changing fan favourites so much.

I get that this is a "new era" etc etc, but there's no reason why this new era couldn't have had a few new characters sprinkled in instead of changing fan favourites so some of them aren't even recognisable from some of their prior appearances.

Luckily for me none of my favourite characters changed so much, but I'm not even that against it anyway (Cyrax's gameplay and costume is pretty awesome and I will definitely be trying her).

I do also see where people are coming from though, if they put a wig and high heels on Quan Chi I probably wouldn't like the character as much and wouldn't play her. Not because of any inherent hate I have towards specific groups, but I REALLY like the current Quan Chi and have done for years, so any significant changes to his appearance/character would probably be hard to get over. I wouldn't come to a video game forum and start spewing hate about it however, that is just dumb. Play someone else and let the people who do enjoy the redesigned character, enjoy them.

If they made a new female sorcerer though, who was just as menacing and awesome as Quan Chi with her own character you damn right I'd be down for that. Sounds awesome. NRS have shown they're capable of making incredible new characters over the last few years so I'm sure they'd do a better job at that than gender swapping Quan.

Interesting how the psychology works around this, I'm not even saying the way I'd think about it is right. It's basically the same outcome whether they redesign an existing character or make a new one. But for some reason I'd be much happier with them making a new character instead of making huge changes to existing ones.

I seriously wanna know where all these reactionary chuds are coming from. Does TYM keep them under the floor boards or something?

And basically everytime you prove that reality doesn't line up with the, "decline" they envision in their heads, they go on hyper emotional little rants where they call you everything short of slurs.

It's okay if the series isn't for you anymore. Hell, it's okay if you don't personally like it, but just say that and stop making it a part of a larger culture war that only exists inside your heads.

You outgrew the silly fighting game with magic ninjas. That's okay. The west has not fallen. We are not in some kind of cultural decline because you're big mad that MK moved on from Midi files and live action models.

Grow up, nerds.
You made too many assumptions. I could go the same way, or even try to discuss rationally with you. However you visit various threads and argue with everyone - using a cheap and aggressive language - while your arguments are not so strong as you think.
Learn to have some respect for the forum you just joined and it's people, then we can have a discussion.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
You made too many assumptions. I could go the same way, or even try to discuss rationally with you. However you visit various threads and argue with everyone - using a cheap and aggressive language - while your arguments are not so strong as you think.
Learn to have some respect for the forum you just joined and it's people, then we can have a discussion.
Oh you're new here. You don't know. Lmao

YagamiFire

Dojo Trainee
I do think a lot of these frustrations around changing characters could have been avoided if they simply made new characters instead of changing fan favourites so much.
Yup I'm the same way. I love new characters. I'd always prefer something new to fundamentally changing something about an existing character, even if the character isn't a favorite of mine because I know every character is someone's favorite so I'd rather not see them shafted. A new character and bring fresh dynamics to gameplay, story and sometimes even new fans. For instance, I liked KOF before 99 but 99 really drew me in with K' and I've been a massive KOF mark ever since. Similarly, someone I'm getting into fighting games didn't really feel any of the SF characters until Ed dropped and now he loves it because Ed just pushed all his buttons for a favorite character. New stuff is hype and I think hitting a balance of new and old is real important.

Look how many people were hyped for Kotal and Erron Black! We've got no one like that in the new game...because there's quite literally no one new, which is just weird.

Subby Z

Mortal
Yup I'm the same way. I love new characters. I'd always prefer something new to fundamentally changing something about an existing character, even if the character isn't a favorite of mine because I know every character is someone's favorite so I'd rather not see them shafted. A new character and bring fresh dynamics to gameplay, story and sometimes even new fans. For instance, I liked KOF before 99 but 99 really drew me in with K' and I've been a massive KOF mark ever since. Similarly, someone I'm getting into fighting games didn't really feel any of the SF characters until Ed dropped and now he loves it because Ed just pushed all his buttons for a favorite character. New stuff is hype and I think hitting a balance of new and old is real important.

Look how many people were hyped for Kotal and Erron Black! We've got no one like that in the new game...because there's quite literally no one new, which is just weird.
I think that’s the thing a lot of these people miss. I also don’t mind new characters. I’m a Sub-Zero fanboy (Kuai Liang) but if we jumped waaay in the future or even went into the distant past like the ending of MK11 suggested then I could be fine.

Taking all of the characters I grew up with and saying that they’re all different now though? Especially when the last game was just 4 years ago with most of those classic characters there? Yeah no.

I stand by Tanya’s design would have been a great new character. MK needs new females. That’s just not Tanya. Lots of these things could have worked if they were something new. Feeding us the old though and telling us it’s all new? Yeah no. It doesn’t work as a “new timeline” either because most people see that as just a way to change shit now and have no consequences. Audiences aren’t dumb. They see through the bullshit.