What's new

Match-up Discussion Cyrax Matchup Discussion Thread

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Tips on Quanh Chi and Sektor matchups? How to deal with pressure, best way to punish Quan when he teles behind you? Things like that would help me a lot.

CyberInitiative

HIGH FIVE :D
Yeah there needs to be a forum for detailed match up speculation that can be updated, one that can have different ways of dealing with each match up instead of two numbers. In depth cyrex strategies. Yomi mind control cyrex combos. ect.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Agree.. Cyrax damage output applies to all of his matches but I assume he still has tough ones even with his damage output.

I feel her glow somewhat limits Cyrax a little bit..While most players cant escape his resets or has to conserve 2 meters..Jades Ex glow will get out of some setups with the cost of 1.. If its any character I think cyrax will have a harder time locking down jade..Her glow works well against net setups if used correctly.

Jade can keep up with cyrax in this MU
She can keep up, yes, but she doesnt have any type of advantage.

He can't spam nets against her, which is something he cant do against any good player. I'm not sure how that gives her an advantage. I see it as probably a 5-5 because she can't safely zone him either. Some zoning characters can hit him and block in time before eating a Net; this is not the case with Jade. Net for Boomerang is a great trade for Rax. And if you Flash before tossing the Rang, a well-timed Net will catch at the end of one Flash before another has started. Boomerang, then Flash is also a very dangerous game for her to try to play. You are basing this match-up on the assumption that Jade will never be hit with a Net because of Glow and this is simply not the case. Also keep in mind that he doesn't have to Net first. He can 12xxNet, 33xxNet, or jP21xxNet.

Cyrax's 1 is 9f. She can't combat that up-close. From sweep to jump distance, she feels more comfortable and from that distance, there's not a great deal he can do, but she HAS to stay there to win, and one well timed Dash 1, or Dash Command Throw or even a jump in if she's not on top of her B2 AA game gets him in.

Flash gives her added mobility against him that most other characters lack, but given her mediocre stats everywhere else, this is only enough to pull it back to a neutral match.
The set-ups she can Glow out of are not the ones worth using, so that's a moot point. He doesn't need those types of set-ups to win, they just help his MUs against characters that can't get out.

You are correct that Rax still has tough match-ups. Kabal comes to mind immediately.
Cage, Raiden, Next to consider as possible bad MUs because of the pressure game
Kitana and Liu could be, but these are 6-4 at worse.

Are there any decent combo starter that hits special mid? Im having the same problem with him than I have with SubZero when I play those buggy chars that cant be hit by a fast combo starter when they are crouch blocking. The only one that hits is 3, but the second move of the combo will miss and Cyrax will get punished.

The char I have more problems with is Milenna, the CG works one out of ten times with her crouch blocking, 21 misses, and those pokes canceled with specials arent combos, I want something to deal a good damage on her if she doesnt start respecting my frame advantages, coz actually all she have to do is to hit delayed d3 or d4 (like delayed crouch tech in sf4). Blocks untill she sees cyrax a standing anything, then she spams a low poke, the first hit of cyrax's strings will miss and the second one wont come out in time coz millena's poke will hit him, and there goes my oportunity to make some pression and here comes her close range mixups.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I don't know, I've never had these kind of issues with Cyrax. Unfortunately I don't have the game atm to give you a definite answer but I'm sure you could test some stuff yourself.

I'm pretty sure the command grab hit crouching opponents, and I'm positive it hits crouch blocking opponents. Just from watching some videos of Mileena/Cyrax I noticed that 1 & 2 both hit crouch blocking at least part of the time.

NariTuba

disMember
The char I have more problems with is Milenna, the CG works one out of ten times with her crouch blocking, 21 misses, and those pokes canceled with specials arent combos, I want something to deal a good damage on her if she doesnt start respecting my frame advantages, coz actually all she have to do is to hit delayed d3 or d4 (like delayed crouch tech in sf4). Blocks untill she sees cyrax a standing anything, then she spams a low poke, the first hit of cyrax's strings will miss and the second one wont come out in time coz millena's poke will hit him, and there goes my oportunity to make some pression and here comes her close range mixups.

Play footsies. If shes "spamming" low pokes bait, walk out of range, net or bomb to get her to move where you want..

do you know whats a delayed crouch tech in sf4? Its more like that. When I say that she spams a low poke when I get near i mean she see me getting near and standing (lets say, a dash in) and then does the poke, she can to poke only once then crossup jump, one poke and overhead, 2 pokes, etc...

About the "footsies", im asking for a string to hit her while crouching block, not a suggestion on how to deal with her low pokes, but I think that theres no one otherwise someone would have posted it already.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I dont think I agree with what you think is good to play a poking mileena (I think the suggestions you gave are things to do once in a life time, not to be used regularly coz they are risky at such range, the other guy's suggestion is more likely to be used regularly, the crouching poke canceled into the saw), but any advice is welcome.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I just block her D4, counter with my own D4xxBuzzsaw. It's going to hit far more often than it misses. 3 will hit her in neutral crouch and can be cancelled into Buzzsaw or Net depending on how risky you wanna be with it.

If she is indeed spamming D4. Block once and then Net. the BB input will move you out of D4 range after blocking once and you will Net her.

Also work on your Tele punish. 12xxNet or 1 dash 1 dash 33xxNet. Git her with this a few times after Teleport Drop and Ball Roll respectively and she has to second guess using those moves.

she wont spam d4 mindlessly, she does it when i get near, then start her mixup game, and she uses d3 more for that purpose.

Cyrax's 3~net is also something that you use once in a while, exactly because its too risky

Seapeople

This one's for you
Check out this video from 1:56-2:02

So... if you put a net on the screen against Raiden, he can't crossup superman/teleport superman for a couple seconds. This probably won't change any strategy in that matchup but it looked so sick that I had to post it :)

I know, its exactly what I imagined when the other guy suggested it, my point is that it isnt something to be done regularly, because is risky. If raiden have guessed and jumped, Cyrax would to eat a full combo, even a dash block can screw Cyrax there.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Im confused. You want a perfectly safe answer to something that works 100% of the time?

Yeah. That's not gonna happen. You're gonna have to play the match and punish her mistakes. There is no "I win" button in any match-up. Everyone has given solid advice. Use parts of it all.

NariTuba

disMember
IMHO, its Kung Lao, Kabal, Raiden and Kitana, possibly Mileena as well.

Edit: def. Smoke, forgot about that bastard. Human Cyrax helps IMHO.
Kabal is bad for sure.

Kitana is hard to play footsies with. You have to take more risks than she does to get the life lead imo.

id say KL, Raiden and Mileena are even.

Kenshi is pretty bad too.

Kainaran

Noob
Cyrax vs ...
Because dead turtle for good zoner :)

4-6 Smoke (Spam Smoke bomb, shake for net, teleport, reset)
4-6 Kenshi (best zoning, EX-armor)
4-6 Kitana (Air-Fan Throw, better pressure, d1)
4-6 Sektor (Rocket spam+Teleport-Uppercot+Flameburn)
4-6 Mileena (Instant-Sai, Telekick)
4-6 (3-7 ?) Kabal (Instant fireball spam, mad pressure)

Maybe 4-6 Kano (extreme fast zoning and very fast startup kanoball)
And Scarlet maybe too.

Plz don't tell me about Cyrax teleport. Random teleport best gift for opponent )
Imbalance damage? You can't use this with really good player. yellow Turtle can't control match.
Good zoning = good meter managment = breaker if mistake

NariTuba

disMember
Where can i get the latest info about RoboCyrax and HumanCyrax match-ups?
There is no reliable matchup charts for this game at all. Its more meaningful to discuss strats for individual matchups than to assign a meaningless number to it such as 5-5 or 6-4, thats my opinion anyway.

Cyrax vs ...
Because dead turtle for good zoner :)

4-6 Smoke (Spam Smoke bomb, shake for net, teleport, reset)
4-6 Kenshi (best zoning, EX-armor)
4-6 Kitana (Air-Fan Throw, better pressure, d1)
4-6 Sektor (Rocket spam+Teleport-Uppercot+Flameburn)
4-6 Mileena (Instant-Sai, Telekick)
4-6 (3-7 ?) Kabal (Instant fireball spam, mad pressure)

Maybe 4-6 Kano (extreme fast zoning and very fast startup kanoball)
And Scarlet maybe too.
Cyrax is not a turtle charater, he is a zone control character. You use nets and bombs to get them to move where you want, not to zone them out. You want to be close to win.

Smoke is even with Cyrax imho. Use AAt to get close while avoiding the smoke bomb at the same time. You dont use net or teleport at all in this match, you rush him down. He has resets and so do you so it evens out.

Kenshi does seem like a bad matchup for Cyrax, I dont have enough experience in this match to say more.

Kitana 4-6 I agree.

Sektor Id also risk to say its even. Rocket spam means nothing, be patient, duck and if he's truly spamming he's eating a jps combo sooner or later. Teleport uppecut is meaningless, you wont be trowing nets, you will be going to him and throwing the occasional bomb. If he just throws it out there he's eating a 70%+ punish.
The Sektor matchup is difficult because he has better footsies. I had my best results by making him respect my down pokes linked to saw. That opens up following down pokes with jabs into pressure / hit confirm / command grab. I say 5-5 because Cyrax upclose is better than Sektor and he cant really wakeup if you stay on him. It can be hard to deal with him at sweep range and flamethrower range tho.

Mileena i believe also is even. Learn to punish telekick and again, dont throw nets. Get close and pressure, her normals are slow. Her d4 can be a problem to deal with when used properly, you need to bait it.

Kabal 3-7 I agree.

Kano is not hard, just duck the knives and again, if he spams he's eating a jps combo. Bait the upball. He cant hang in footsies.

Skarlet ?? who knows... I can see it being hard on paper.

Kainaran

Noob
I know what i must do with this char, but it really hard and more chances for mistake and lose
but easy tactic for opponent for win

I don't tell about Cyrax can't win this match-up (not 9-1 :)), but hard for him and easy for opponent - that mean 4-6 IMO
--
for exaple:
If you wiff input AAt (example not df1, but d1) and hit Smoke Bomb - you "eat" Smoke reset, but if you done AAt - you only use AAt :)
Smoke use "smoke cloud" for break distance and spam S-bomb again and again (and have a lot of meter)
and punish you wish fast teleport
his control match - no Smoke mistake = no chance for Cyrax
-
Cyrax bomb zone control so slow, so slow

NariTuba

disMember
I know what i must do with this char, but it really hard and more chances for mistake and lose
but easy tactic for opponent for win

I don't tell about Cyrax can't win this match-up (not 9-1 :)), but hard for him and easy for opponent - that mean 4-6 IMO
--
for exaple:
If you wiff input AAt (example not df1, but d1) and hit Smoke Bomb - you "eat" Smoke reset, but if you done AAt - you only use AAt :)
Smoke use "smoke cloud" for break distance and spam S-bomb again and again (and have a lot of meter)
and punish you wish fast teleport
his control match - no Smoke mistake = no chance for Cyrax
-
Cyrax bomb zone control so slow, so slow
If you get hit because youre getting d1 instead of airthrow you need to go to practice room and practice it. Its not hard at all to get it 100% of the time.

He smoke clouds, you AAt and your back where you were. Once you get to jump distance be ready for that SB and blow him up with a jump in punch. No good smoke is going to spam SB. Then footsies begin, an area in which both characters have even tools.

Smoke doesnt control Cyrax, he's controlling you as a player. Im not telling you how to overcome a bad matchup Im telling you an easy way to counter an easy tactic.

Kainaran

Noob
it was only example.. You never miss input when you under active pressure? than you godlike ;) Even Maxter on major-champ put b+A, instead bb+A(Net). Oh shi..
No one good smoke don't spam smoke bomb when you jump distance )
All random jp may be easy punished with extreme fast smoke teleport or simple smoke AAt
but easy way = back smoke cloud+back smoke cloud+block/shake if net and SB (fast recovery) again

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How does Liu fair up against this robot? I'd say 6-4 for Cyrax at worst. I only fear Cyrax's resets, everything else is somewhat easy to get in. I don't know how Cyrax is up close, but Liu holds his own up close. Liu has decent zoning, but I wouldn't try zone Cryrax. (only because I have a little problem with iafb, if someone could peform perfect iafbs it'd be different) Most Cyrax players I meet online just sit back shooting nets hoping for a lucky shot. Don't get me wrong though, I respect and fear Cyrax. I espicially like the ones who don't do resets. (the unavoidable ones, not the "me standing up" ones)