What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It’s not just hospitals being overloaded.. Most people who contract COVID don’t just die the day they get a case. It’s a long, drawn-out battle and that’s why ventilators are so important. Many people are fighting for their lives for a month or more before they finally succumb. So deaths will always lag behind cases.

What is sad is people cheering that the death rate is low because they can’t see the many men and women working insane and stressful hours in hospital units trying to keep these people alive. They also don’t see the people dying from other illnesses because hospitals have canceled the surgery/treatment they need, in order to make room for COVID patients. If people had to live in a hospital they’d get it.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Much of it could just be who is getting it. The death rate is very low for young people and much higher as you get to into higher ager groups. The CDC doesn't give a great table for dissecting numbers but looking at California's data with their deaths almost at 6000, we can see this clearly. Below the age of 50, they recorded 355 deaths, cutting that down to 34 or less and there's 63 deaths. People above 80 account for almost half of their 6000 deaths.

Some of the hot spots are from people breaking social distancing like these bar cases we are hearing about, and that's going to mostly be younger people. Those at risk may be maintaining social distancing properly. There's also simply more testing, someone who is asymptomatic may get tested who wouldn't have before.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It’s not just hospitals being overloaded.. Most people who contract COVID don’t just die the day they get a case. It’s a long, drawn-out battle and that’s why ventilators are so important. Many people are fighting for their lives for a month or more before they finally succumb. So deaths will always lag behind cases.

What is sad is people cheering that the death rate is low because they can’t see the many men and women working insane and stressful hours in hospital units trying to keep these people alive. They also don’t see the people dying from other illnesses because hospitals have canceled the surgery/treatment they need, in order to make room for COVID patients. If people had to live in a hospital they’d get it.
I feel like you're not passive aggressive enough for this to be @ me so ill give you the benifit of the doubt, but my family has careers in health science and have / do work in hospitals. Covid sucks and is a genuinely scary and awful thing to get but it's not some ridiculous out of context claim to say that the death rate is low.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Much of it could just be who is getting it. The death rate is very low for young people and much higher as you get to into higher ager groups. The CDC doesn't give a great table for dissecting numbers but looking at California's data with their deaths almost at 6000, we can see this clearly. Below the age of 50, they recorded 355 deaths, cutting that down to 34 or less and there's 63 deaths. People above 80 account for almost half of their 6000 deaths.

Some of the hot spots are from people breaking social distancing like these bar cases we are hearing about, and that's going to mostly be younger people. Those at risk may be maintaining social distancing properly. There's also simply more testing, someone who is asymptomatic may get tested who wouldn't have before.
Almost always a co-morbidity too. Preventative health care is always the best.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I feel like you're not passive aggressive enough for this to be @ me so ill give you the benifit of the doubt, but my family has careers in health science and have / do work in hospitals. Covid sucks and is a genuinely scary and awful thing to get but it's not some ridiculous out of context claim to say that the death rate is low.
https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/hjkww1
I’m connected to the medical world as well, which is why I’m seeing that people aren’t getting the full picture.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Again, I'm very thankful and fortunate to be living in Canada.
What really sucks is that so many of our citizens have (had...) employer-provided healthcare, and as of March over 27-million people had lost their health insurance due to the shutdown. Imagine getting hit with the kombo of losing your job, losing your healthcare, then contracting Covid, surviving, and then getting hit with a $20,000 bill you can't hope to pay off because you're unemployed. That's like the 100% Cyrax reset of real life...

What really sucks is that so many of our citizens have (had...) employer-provided healthcare, and as of March over 27-million people had lost their health insurance due to the shutdown. Imagine getting hit with the kombo of losing your job, losing your healthcare, then contracting Covid, surviving, and then getting hit with a $20,000 bill you can't hope to pay off because you're unemployed. That's like the 100% Cyrax reset of real life...
That's just awful.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It makes a pretty compelling case for why getting health insurance primarily from employment might not be the best model, especially in periods of economic downturns.

It makes a pretty compelling case for why getting health insurance primarily from employment might not be the best model, especially in periods of economic downturns.
Here, our health care is from the government, mainly the provincial one, funded by taxes.

What's not covered, insurance, mostly from employers, plays a role.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
omg....did you guys see this!

I don't even follow her on twitter and it popped up by email! They are all barely a foot apart from each other!

Kayleigh McEnany (@kayleighmcenany) " "

however the average salary is only $11.12 an hour! many of the salary reports are all in covid-19 states with rising reports.

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Domino's_Pizza/Hourly_Rate

According to this article some have even tested positive.

https://slate.com/business/2020/06/coronavirus-pizza-delivery-dominos.html

this makes me sad because i love dominos on ocassion but this is not how you would promote a business at a time during a pandemic or unemployment high, and people scared for their safety working the front lines. This is doing nothing to promote jobs or a safe business! :(

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

KCJ506

Noob
Aside from imbeciles still claiming the virus to be a hoax or refusing to wear a mask because they feel it violates their freedom, one of the biggest problems is that a huge chunk of the public treats opening back up as "virus defeated and over - no more social distancing, no more masks, no more anything ever again." As if everything is back to normal. That's not how it works.

There are also a few things people refuse to understand. The first thing is just because someone doesn't feel sick, doesn't mean they don't have Covid-19. For instance, a few weeks ago, comedian DL Hughley passed out from dehydration at a comedy club and upon being admitted to the hospital found out he was positive without showing any of the symptoms associated with it. Second thing they refuse to get is that the masks aren't for them not to get sick, they're for them not to get others sick if they accidentally spit on them or on things that they touch. Because people can still pass on the virus to others before showing any symptoms. The third thing they refuse to get is that even if someone catches the virus and survives, there's no telling what long term effects it can have on them. And of course the last thing they refuse to get is that if they actually be more level headed and act rationally, the less the virus will spread before restrictions will be eased.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been reading articles about how Covid 19 deniers end up actually catching it and those that think like them claim the stories to be fake.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
long term effects are currently unknown considering this is a zoonotic transmission. But results so far are indicating that sequellae range from kidney damage, long term lung damage, lymphedema, permanent or lingering anosmia (which is significant because that points to neurological issues) and others. is this related to pre existing conditions? we don't know yet. Some had some, some didn't.