What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Things have been going very well in my province. With the exception of Windsor-Essex County, the entire province has moved to Stage 3 of economic re-opening, which is what will be the new "normal" for us for the foreseeable future. Most everything is open, restaurants, movie theaters, etc., though with mandated restrictions and social distancing guidelines.

The Province as a whole is averaging between 70 to 100 new cases a day, the City of Toronto, Canada's largest city, has only had between 1 and 9 new cases over the last few days, and my own Durham Region currently has a five day rolling average of only 1.6 new cases!

I've been going back in-office a few days a week, and that's been going well. Municipalities have mask bi-laws in effect and most are cooperating with them, as well as with other best practices.

There's a vaccine currently being tested in Quebec, and while much more testing needs to be done, it's apparently looking promising. They're hoping if all continues to go well, to roll said vaccine out in first quarter 2021.
 
Meanwhile the trump is more concerned about people not liking him and twitter than the 150k that are dead because of him. Fuck trump, fuck anyone who supports him. Fuck Biden too, but I guess I will settle and vote for him. The bar is extremely low anyway.
Currently, Canada is sitting at 8,929 deaths overall. 2,772 in my province.

On an aside, and as a Mileena main, great avatar pic!
 

Dankster Morgan

she don’t call me daddy she call me Grandmaster
So... Things are slowly starting to get better in NM. How are you guys doing / what is it like in your state / country?


I see people going ballistic about the "only 6% thing" like the CDC backpedaled..... no they didn't lmao, it was already pretty obvious that the vast majority of people dying of COVID had multiple things wrong with them like high blood pressure or obesity, hence the other 94% having on average 2.6 other major health conditions. So no, the CDC didn't hide shit, people are just now starting to make pretty damn obvious connections.
 

Espio

Blade Charge
Lead Moderator
So... Things are slowly starting to get better in NM. How are you guys doing / what is it like in your state / country?


I see people going ballistic about the "only 6% thing" like the CDC backpedaled..... no they didn't lmao, it was already pretty obvious that the vast majority of people dying of COVID had multiple things wrong with them like high blood pressure or obesity, hence the other 94% having on average 2.6 other major health conditions. So no, the CDC didn't hide shit, people are just now starting to make pretty damn obvious connections.

Michigan has stabilized drastically under Governor Whitmer's leadership and I'm glad she had the strength to defy the pressure to reopen to soon. We went from worst state to contained despite reopening. Tomorrow she's supposed to announce that we are reopening more of the economy. Only things currently closed is movie theaters, gyms and stuff like that so I assume we can expect those to be returning or at least one of them.

I finally got over my anxiety and went out to celebrate for my mother's birthday last weekend and it wasn't bad, the safety guidelines are finally being followed and the spaced out seating is nice. I just hope everyone else can get to that point because I miss my international travel terribly. I feel like I'm trapped on an Island cause I usually travel 1-3 times a year two of which are out of the country.
 

Dankster Morgan

she don’t call me daddy she call me Grandmaster
Michigan has stabilized drastically under Governor Whitmer's leadership and I'm glad she had the strength to defy the pressure to reopen to soon. We went from worst state to contained despite reopening. Tomorrow she's supposed to announce that we are reopening more of the economy. Only things currently closed is movie theaters, gyms and stuff like that so I assume we can expect those to be returning or at least one of them.

I finally got over my anxiety and went out to celebrate for my mother's birthday last weekend and it wasn't bad, the safety guidelines are finally being followed and the spaced out seating is nice. I just hope everyone else can get to that point because I miss my international travel terribly. I feel like I'm trapped on an Island cause I usually travel 1-3 times a year two of which are out of the country.
I would go insane if the gyms were closed in NM. The masks are legit more dangerous than no masks though if you ask me, when it comes to lifting that is, but theres of course give and take. Finally starting to get to work more, which is nice.
 

KCJ506

Noob
Michigan has stabilized drastically under Governor Whitmer's leadership and I'm glad she had the strength to defy the pressure to reopen to soon. We went from worst state to contained despite reopening. Tomorrow she's supposed to announce that we are reopening more of the economy. Only things currently closed is movie theaters, gyms and stuff like that so I assume we can expect those to be returning or at least one of them.

I finally got over my anxiety and went out to celebrate for my mother's birthday last weekend and it wasn't bad, the safety guidelines are finally being followed and the spaced out seating is nice. I just hope everyone else can get to that point because I miss my international travel terribly. I feel like I'm trapped on an Island cause I usually travel 1-3 times a year two of which are out of the country.
Yeah I'm also in Michigan. I remember back in June it was stated that we were one of the few states that was on track to containing the virus, but that didn't last very long.

I've barely left the house since the pandemic started.
 

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
So... Things are slowly starting to get better in NM. How are you guys doing / what is it like in your state / country?


I see people going ballistic about the "only 6% thing" like the CDC backpedaled..... no they didn't lmao, it was already pretty obvious that the vast majority of people dying of COVID had multiple things wrong with them like high blood pressure or obesity, hence the other 94% having on average 2.6 other major health conditions. So no, the CDC didn't hide shit, people are just now starting to make pretty damn obvious connections.
It's not even that. They've been open about fat people and diabetics being super high risk from the very get go. Wide open. CDC just released their information in a slightly misleading format, that said everything everybody already knew, and the right ran with it as if it proves that it's all a hoax.

Things are better in my city, Dallas metro area. We have really high mask adherence to any city facility, groceries, home depot, even crappy shady convenience stores. I think that's helping a ton honestly bc once they finally mandated masks in the city is when the numbers started leveling out, heading down, and you stopped hearing about people you knew that had it.

Schools opening will determine a third wave or not imo
 

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Michigan has stabilized drastically under Governor Whitmer's leadership and I'm glad she had the strength to defy the pressure to reopen to soon. We went from worst state to contained despite reopening. Tomorrow she's supposed to announce that we are reopening more of the economy. Only things currently closed is movie theaters, gyms and stuff like that so I assume we can expect those to be returning or at least one of them.

I finally got over my anxiety and went out to celebrate for my mother's birthday last weekend and it wasn't bad, the safety guidelines are finally being followed and the spaced out seating is nice. I just hope everyone else can get to that point because I miss my international travel terribly. I feel like I'm trapped on an Island cause I usually travel 1-3 times a year two of which are out of the country.
I read and learned so much about her on March-April. I am in Texas and even had people around here calling her "An absolute psycho lunatic". But it sure seemed her strategy WORKED. Is she getting more credit up there now? Has the anti-Whitmer rhetoric toned down? I think she's awesome lol, she was my 2nd hope for VP pick :D
 

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So... Things are slowly starting to get better in NM. How are you guys doing / what is it like in your state / country?


I see people going ballistic about the "only 6% thing" like the CDC backpedaled..... no they didn't lmao, it was already pretty obvious that the vast majority of people dying of COVID had multiple things wrong with them like high blood pressure or obesity, hence the other 94% having on average 2.6 other major health conditions. So no, the CDC didn't hide shit, people are just now starting to make pretty damn obvious connections.
The issue is that people didn’t actually read the data. They just made assumptions.

If you actually read the data, most of those comorbidities were things like ‘pneumonia’ and ‘respiratory failure’, which are caused by COVID. They are resultant conditions in the full cause of death, not preexisting conditions before coronavirus.

The reason that only 6% don’t have them is that doctors almost always list the actual cause of death on the death certificate, rather than just the disease. So for example, if you have cancer, and the cancer leads to liver failure and you die, they will list liver failure and cancer, not just cancer. That’s a comorbidity.

But lots of people who didn’t actually look at the data table assumed it was just obesity, diabetes, etc. This is the problem with people having really strong convictions and spreading misinformation without actually doing their homework.
 
My province had about a few weeks of below 100 new cases a day, but we've creeped back up to over a 100 as our economy is almost fully open again (with many restrictions though). 133 new cases reported today, with a seven day rolling average now of 122.7. It was as low as 85 at one point and that's around when our first wave formally ended.

Kids go back to school next week to. Elementary is back full time, highschools are on rotations, post secondary is at home. The concern of course is that the kids will start spreading the virus more, so September into early November will be a big tell, and we'll see if we get a full blown second wave, or just pockets (they're predicting pockets).

Most new cases right now are between the 20 to 39 year old range. Toronto and Peel Region are the biggest contributors of new cases in Ontario.

I'm currently working in-office two days a week again. If we start getting back to 200 or 300 new cases a day, with many in Toronto, I'm likely going to pull back and start staying at home again.

My own Durham Region is doing very well though with a rolling seven day average of 5.1. My city itself, Pickering, is at 1.9 new cases a day on a rolling seven day average. Obviously, I feel much safer there than in downtown Toronto.

While I'm comfortable shopping, I'm not comfortable with dinning in at restaurants yet.
 

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Luckily here in GA (at least in my county/city), a lot of stores now require you to wear a mask to enter. I haven’t looked at ANY data in awhile, but I have noticed a lot more people wearing masks and less people giving you weird looks if you’re wearing one. It still happens, just way less frequently. Also a lot of stores have social distancing policies. Where they say you are to be 6ft from other shoppers, and they have the markers on the ground at the registers. All of this is very good progress for my city.

That said, there’s still a very large percentage of people who think everything should go back to normal. That they shouldn’t be “forced” to wear a mask or social distance. And even some who still think it’s a “hoax” or at the very least still think it’s not a big deal. So, since there’s so many people like this, I don’t have any confidence of anything going “back to normal” anytime soon.

Despite everything I said here, I’m super happy there will be College Football soon. Especially glad that Clemson will be playing. It’s very difficult to describe to someone how much CFB and Clemson means to me and my family. It’s essentially our religion as absolutely bizarre as that sounds. And watching the games with my Dad... idk how much longer I’ll be able to do that considering his health. So beyond grateful they have found a way to have some sort of season. Also, to be clear, as a player you are not forced to play this season. If you want to opt out of the season, if I’m remembering what I read correctly, you won’t receive any type of punishment for it. But from what I’ve seen, most of the players want to play.
 

Espio

Blade Charge
Lead Moderator
I would go insane if the gyms were closed in NM. The masks are legit more dangerous than no masks though if you ask me, when it comes to lifting that is, but theres of course give and take. Finally starting to get to work more, which is nice.
I'll take your word for it on that. I've never been much of a weight lifter, I'm more into cardio types of things so while I haven't personally had a major issue, I understand the circumstances are different for you given the different physical activity.

That's good you guys are getting your hours back. One less anxiety to have is a good feeling for sure :).

Nothing has fundamentally changed for me still with work and I sadly hope it doesn't change because I much prefer seeing people a couple times a week instead of five.

Working from home I got to spend time with my nieces and nephews today, time I wouldn't have been able to have if we were back in the office. I did notice that they're doing some jobs with a permanent remote component which I think is interesting.



Yeah I'm also in Michigan. I remember back in June it was stated that we were one of the few states that was on track to containing the virus, but that didn't last very long.

I've barely left the house since the pandemic started.
Considering we were in the top 3 at the start of the pandemic, I would say we have maintained things well.

How is your mental health doing having barely left the house?

The only reason why I decided to go out after doing work and essential only stuff after the six months is because my job as a social worker requires me to travel all across the state and interact with so many people and I've followed all precautions. I'm gonna stat cautious and keep my travels minimal, but I'm gonna try to at least do a bit more.

I read and learned so much about her on March-April. I am in Texas and even had people around here calling her "An absolute psycho lunatic". But it sure seemed her strategy WORKED. Is she getting more credit up there now? Has the anti-Whitmer rhetoric toned down? I think she's awesome lol, she was my 2nd hope for VP pick :D

Detroit and Wayne County (where I live) fucks with her heavy as hell.


If wanting to protect your people is being an absolute psycho lunatic, we need a lot more of those because we could have been in a totally different position in September nationally otherwise. She saved so many lives, this is one of the only politicians in recent human history for my country where I feel like she made hard choices and did what was right despite monumental pressure from a Republican majority legislature as well as intense Presidential pressure.

I don't hear even a quarter of the rage I used to hear, even more staunch opponents have gotten quiet and some people who attacked her lost their Michigan primaries (I think this shows the rage is from extremely vocal minority of the population).

She has been at the forefront of advocacy for a lot of causes I won't get into cause this is Coronavirus, but I'm all for Big Gretch!


Also this is charming and endearing.
 
The DC metropolitan area is doing pretty well. I actually ate indoors at a restaurant on friday. An inordinate amount of the DC economy is restaurants though. It's a nagging concern that once outdoor seating is no longer viable given the cold weather- we'll either be at a spot where mass indoor seating can be a thing... or we get another massive wave of business closings.

To vent- my SO is an elementary school teacher and holy shit do they eat the shitter on all this.

What really gets to me is how awful parents can be in this situation. Kids are learning from home so their parents see and hear everything- and every half-baked opinion by some Karen about how the professional educator teaches the kids gets aired out constantly. The impossible task of teaching a dozen first graders over zoom is not made easier by 10 mums asking you to teach 10 different ways

On the positive side- I've now grown fond of working from home. As a software engineer it has not really cut into my productivity at all so I'm at the point of making this part of my employment requirements- so I can finally adopt a dog. Im planning on visiting a shelter this weekend
 

KCJ506

Noob
Considering we were in the top 3 at the start of the pandemic, I would say we have maintained things well.

How is your mental health doing having barely left the house?

The only reason why I decided to go out after doing work and essential only stuff after the six months is because my job as a social worker requires me to travel all across the state and interact with so many people and I've followed all precautions. I'm gonna stat cautious and keep my travels minimal, but I'm gonna try to at least do a bit more.
Eh, I've pretty much been a homebody even before the pandemic started. The only time I've actually went somewhere since it started was to get my haircut in June. My hair's getting long again, so I'll probably be making another appointment in the near future. Though I'm still a bit paranoid even though they require all stylists and clients to wear masks and they do clean the chairs, equipment and stuff after being used.
 

The Slaj Jazz

I'm salty
I used to reside in Michigan so I follow a couple of local news pages on FB. If you went based off the comments everytime its an article about corona or the governor you'd think shes anti christ apparently lol.

My state of MD is going to phase 3 this Friday which means opening movies, and similar stuff to that. Our numbers have been going down but I personally think its fucking stupid and in my county I barely see anyone wearing mask anymore.
 

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
An inordinate amount of the DC economy is restaurants though. It's a nagging concern that once outdoor seating is no longer viable given the cold weather- we'll either be at a spot where mass indoor seating can be a thing... or we get another massive wave of business closings.
I feel like there's a lot of places like that, where local economies are built almost solely on the service industry.
 

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter

Well... There you have it.

Wow. Insane.
Can't wait to see how his supporters spin this one.
 

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is honestly really, really heavy. If the American people let this go unpunished, that is saying some pretty grave things about our country.

People lost loved ones over this that they will never get back -- it's insane!