What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Here is one example of why reopening now is the dumbest possible move:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/gov2mf
When states reopen and force these low-wage workers to go back to work, we end up with situations like this. No one knows the full story, of course, but I imagine the stylist was taken off unemployment the moment they were legally able to go back to work. At that point, it's a choice of going to work while sick or not being able to afford basic necessities. Regardless of whether it's the stylist or the employer to blame, that's 84 people now potentially spreading the virus.

"The first stylist at a salon franchise in Springfield served 84 clients and exposed seven coworkers, the Springfield-Greene County Health Department said Friday. The hairstylist also visited a Dairy Queen, Walmart and fitness center, officials said."

Let's say that each of those 84 people interacted with just 10 other people before they were made aware of the situation (a laughably conservative estimate). That's now 840 people potentially spreading the virus. Go one step further and we're looking at 8,400 people. That's assuming none of them used public transportation or went to a restaurant or any other public space where they would have compromised way more than just 10 other people.

And to make it even more frustrating, Great Clips is almost 100% franchise-based, and this location was a franchise, meaning they qualified for the small business assistance available to businesses with fewer than 500 employees. The business would have been fine remaining closed and the employees would have been fine remaining on unemployment and receiving stimulus payouts.

This also isn't an isolated incident. Another Great Clips stylist did the same thing a few days ago and potentially infected 56 clients.
I don't why this has to be so black and white. The business I work at is considered essential. They employs dozens of workers and there hasn't been a breakout, we wear masks, gloves, try to enforce distancing, etc. Not all businesses are the same, not all states are the same, not all counties are the same. Some have worse infection rates, some have higher population density, some have larger at risk populations, some rely on their local economy more than others. Quarantining was obviously necessary but there's major economic concerns. And a lot of these essential businesses are doing a ton of non-essential work, they just happened to be the industries that were considered essential or had the resources to lobby for that status. That process was not equitable, at least in my state anyhow.

Even Fauci is starting to move into a "reopening" tone:

"We can't stay locked down for such a considerable period of time that you might do irreparable damage and have unintended consequences, including consequences for health,"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/dr-anthony-fauci-says-staying-closed-for-too-long-could-cause-irreparable-damage.html

I really don't have an outlet or anyone to turn to and I need to get this off my chest. My mom is gonna vote for Trump. Again. Despite everything I've been explaining to her about him for years (including dismantling our emergency response team for pandemics), despite everything she's seen him do or heard him say and being horrified, she's still gonna vote for him because "he's helped our economy, I'm making more money now than before". Yeah probably cause he cut funding to things we needed like an emergency response team for pandemics, and now that's hurting the economy and people in the long run. Money saved in the short run, money lost in the long run.

Not strictly Covid related but needed to get that that off my chest.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I really don't have an outlet or anyone to turn to and I need to get this off my chest. My mom is gonna vote for Trump. Again. Despite everything I've been explaining to her about him for years (including dismantling our emergency response team for pandemics), despite everything she's seen him do or heard him say and being horrified, she's still gonna vote for him because "he's helped our economy, I'm making more money now than before". Yeah probably cause he cut funding to things we needed like an emergency response team for pandemics, and now that's hurting the economy and people in the long run. Money saved in the short run, money lost in the long run.

Not strictly Covid related but needed to get that that off my chest.
My dad is the same way. He keeps saying all that matters is taxes. He also only watches Fox News, so he only knows the propaganda they put out. It's so frustrating.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Far from over. I will continue to take all the proper precautions. Washing hands, hand sanitizer, mask and gloves, and keeping my distance. My friends keep having parties, and one of them is an RN. I don’t understand why they’re acting like this is “over”. It’s frustrating. But, luckily in my area, a lot of people are still wearing masks in public and social distancing. There’s definitely a lot of people who aren’t though, usually seem to be younger people.
People are fundamentally incapable of being on guard forever / unknown amount of time. We are built to get used to anything, it's basically part of just surviving reality. More and more people will start to get used to things, relax and just start to accept it at some level as life as we know it. People are going to get bored, run out of patience trying to get their ADD children off the walls, or just get horny enough they get stupid (as is how that always works and wins). You can't stop it, nobody can.

At some point, telling people what they need to do is like an abstinence only education. Sure it looks simple on paper. “Hey kids, just don’t pork one another and you won’t get STD’s and have teen pregnancies!” Awesome. Let’s pass that one on to all the horny teenagers and see how well it works out. The world is full of horny teenagers that can't think in a straight line.

I'm gotten pretty pessimistic about how any timeline has a good outcome. The infection numbers seem big until you compare them to the population. Obviously massive numbers of people have had it nobody knows about, but a couple of weeks ago the two states my home neighbors on had a grand total of something like 3k known cases combined. I live in a city with about 2.3 million people. At that point, that statistically nobody; meaning months in and we all but have just as high a risk of it catching fire with a vaccine still a long ways off. Either people are going to get it (and they are getting it staying home too) or we have to wall up until a vaccine is here. There is no plan than you can make that 7.5 billion people are going to be ok with over the course of the better part of a year. The only thing people agree with, is that nobody agrees on anything.

With all the reports of people losing work, super major problems with people not going to the ER for kill you things like heart attacks and strokes, domestic and child abuse going up, there are lots of ways this thing can kill people at home not getting it. I don't know what you do. Without a vaccine, this thing will out patience everyone with ease. Which doesn't mean I don't think it's weird that they wanted to open theaters again here last Friday.

The worst part about this is that its allergy season right now and sinus infections can give you flu like symptoms and a heavy fever.
Oh absolutely. I truly believe it's not COVID-19 (I'm actually feeling really good today. Not perfect, but much improved over yesterday), but better to check as our Provincial authorities told me to do.

1. If it is the virus, I don't want to give it to anyone
  2. If it is the virus, going to my treatment later this week, which represses my immune system, could be fatal. No exaggeration.
So yeah, testing = yes!

Oh absolutely. I truly believe it's not COVID-19 (I'm actually feeling really good today. Not perfect, but much improved over yesterday), but better to check as our Provincial authorities told me to do.

1. If it is the virus, I don't want to give it to anyone
  2. If it is the virus, going to my treatment later this week, which represses my immune system, could be fatal. No exaggeration.
So yeah, testing = yes!
Good luck.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
People are fundamentally incapable of being on guard forever / unknown amount of time. We are built to get used to anything, it's basically part of just surviving reality. More and more people will start to get used to things, relax and just start to accept it at some level as life as we know it. People are going to get bored, run out of patience trying to get their ADD children off the walls, or just get horny enough they get stupid (as is how that always works and wins). You can't stop it, nobody can.
I hear you, but is this really true? Do you stop looking before you cross the street and just walk into traffic? Or like, stop obeying traffic lights and run all the red lights just for the hell of it, because you're tired of traffic lights? :p

There are some things that are important enough to make sure that you're always on guard for, because they literally save lives. So I'm not sure this really applies to everything.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I hear you, but is this really true? Do you stop looking before you cross the street and just walk into traffic? Or like, stop obeying traffic lights and run all the red lights just for the hell of it, because you're tired of traffic lights? :p

There are some things that are important enough to make sure that you're always on guard for, because they literally save lives. So I'm not sure this really applies to everything.
I think both you guys are right, some things like traffic lights are just so subconscious at this point people will obey them. I would hope people would take important things seriously all the time, but I don't think I can give people that much credit.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

I'm not sure easy, routine behaviors are really the same thing or not, or if you are in a guarding state at a traffic light. So IDK what to think there. Of course routine should also apply to "remember to dysync your controllers" but I don't remember any tournament that a game hasn't been interrupted.

And when it comes to it, if those lights refuse to change people do become increasingly likely to just blow through the light, and people do run lights and die. In fact, driving is just super dangerous in general. You are literally risking your and your family's life every single time you get into a car. We have just decided the risk is low enough, and the payoff great enough that we just kind of don't even think about it.

My home town has had major problems with people not taking driving seriously enough that, at times, they have daily traffic fatalities in a town of not that many people. My mom has been jaws of lifed out of her car. My best friend as a teen had a friend die and she and her husband almost killed around the corner from my parents house (him with perm damage). A couple people at my parents' church have been run over that I know of. Where I'm at now, I at least know of one person that had a family member die in a car wreck and another that almost did. I'm betting we have all been in a wreck or two along the way that could have been ugly.

I think driving is a pretty good illustration of how we can be dismissive of danger in exchange for what it brings. I don't know if it's as good of an illustration of people losing resolve, but I do think people wear out if they are forced to model behavior they don't naturally exhibit, and it's pretty apparent at this point people have zero intention to stay home; whatever the factors are.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm not sure easy, routine behaviors are really the same thing or not, or if you are in a guarding state at a traffic light. So IDK what to think there. Of course routine should also apply to "remember to dysync your controllers" but I don't remember any tournament that a game hasn't been interrupted.

And when it comes to it, if those lights refuse to change people do become increasingly likely to just blow through the light, and people do run lights and die. In fact, driving is just super dangerous in general. You are literally risking your and your family's life every single time you get into a car. We have just decided the risk is low enough, and the payoff great enough that we just kind of don't even think about it.

My home town has had major problems with people not taking driving seriously enough that, at times, they have daily traffic fatalities in a town of not that many people. My mom has been jaws of lifed out of her car. My best friend as a teen had a friend die and she and her husband almost killed around the corner from my parents house (him with perm damage). A couple people at my parents' church have been run over that I know of. Where I'm at now, I at least know of one person that had a family member die in a car wreck and another that almost did. I'm betting we have all been in a wreck or two along the way that could have been ugly.

I think driving is a pretty good illustration of how we can be dismissive of danger in exchange for what it brings. I don't know if it's as good of an illustration of people losing resolve, but I do think people wear out if they are forced to model behavior they don't naturally exhibit, and it's pretty apparent at this point people have zero intention to stay home; whatever the factors are.
That’s a generalization though. Plenty of people are willing to social distance and only leave their house for essential reasons. Like myself for example. I’ve had many many opportunities to go to parties, gatherings, etc etc. And it’s not being overly paranoid or anything like that. I just prefer to be cautious at the moment. That doesn’t mean I expect anyone else to do the same. But, I think there’s a lot of people who aren’t taking this seriously at all. I’m not even talking about staying home or wearing masks either. A lot of people aren’t changing a single thing about their normal routine. Meaning not washing their hands more than they normally do, not using hand sanitizer after leaving public places, not keeping even just the minimum distance from other people, etc. You don’t have to wear a mask, gloves, stay at home, etc. But you should at least practice SOME caution, even if that’s just washing your hands more than you normally do.

I for one will continue to wear a mask in public. I will continue to wear gloves in public, then toss them in the trash before getting into my vehicle. I will continue to use hand sanitizer before entering a public place, and after leaving, even if I’m wearing gloves. And then washing my hands when I get home. As well as keeping my distance from people in public places. I feel all of these things are insanely easy to do, and provide zero inconvenience for myself.

So, for me personally, not doing ANY of these things seems either ignorant, or lazy. If anyone disagrees that’s fine.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
While this can be true, I think it's kind of a tricky comparison to make -- because if people were likely to literally die when players didn't desync their controllers, people would be far more careful about it. The stakes are so much higher in this case.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your mom and friend; I'm glad they ended up being ok.

DeftMonk

Noob
Thought I might post something here to let you guys know whats going on globally atm. While borders into other countries should have already been open (china has been perfectly fine for about 6 weeks and completely back to normal).... 80% of countries are either denying entry to foreigners atm or strictly banning USA citizens due to USA's complete failure in dealing with this situation. Today I had to swap my citizenship to canada to continue doing business abroad providing facemasks and thermometers to USA(I have dual citizenship since my dad is canadian).

If this continues....eventually it will be only americans banned from vietnam china and india which is where all of the world's shit is made. America's economy will go into a downward spiral of epic proportion. Someone from TYM pls run for president so I can put my Canadian passport back into safety deposit box. TY.

@Living Corpse I think we all know the average Joe will act poorly.

@DeftMonk Welcome to Canada. I think you'll like it here; we have poutine.

Canada is slowly starting to re-open, some parts faster than others. Ontario keeps seeing set backs and surges of cases because people are being dumb, to be honest. I expect our border to be closed to the US for some time though simply due to the country's poor handling of the virus.

I know the US just became the global leader in both infections and deaths, so hearts out to all of you in the US. Please keep safe!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Bars and restaurants are starting to reopen in Iowa and Pennsylvania. One venue already contacted me to start trivia night back up, which is a group activity... One of my hosts is willing to host it, so I shipped him a bunch of gloves and masks and am paying him more than usual. I imagine it will only be a few weeks to a month before we have to shut down again. They've already verified that a person testing positive for the virus attended a packed beach over Memorial Day weekend.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Bars and restaurants are starting to reopen in Iowa and Pennsylvania. One venue already contacted me to start trivia night back up, which is a group activity... One of my hosts is willing to host it, so I shipped him a bunch of gloves and masks and am paying him more than usual. I imagine it will only be a few weeks to a month before we have to shut down again. They've already verified that a person testing positive for the virus attended a packed beach over Memorial Day weekend.
I wonder how many people were infected in the mass protests in pretty much every major city with no social distancing and 1 out of 3 had masks on.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I have put on so much weight over the last 4 months. I need to work hard to un-chub. I'm Sunny in Philadelphia'ing this bitch right now L (

Yup. Marinas, golf courses, and such are open here now. Not restaurants though. Social distancing seems to have gone out the window for a lot of people though.

We had a spike of cases that are believed to be from the Mother's Day weekend. We should be seeing a spike soon from the Victoria Day long weekend. Last weekend 10,000 people packed into a park in downtown Toronto because they're dumb, so we'll see a spike from that soon.

There were protests of over 3000 people this weekend for a woman who fell from a balcony and died, and the police are being blamed. We'll see a spike form that too.