What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Hasnt Georgia been opened up for almost 2 weeks now, have not checked up on it but have not heard anything crazy about it either.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That's the thing though, opening up at this point is a Provincial and not a Federal matter. The only way Trudeau himself could stop it would be if he declared a State of National Emergency, which has not happened.

Personally, I think the Quebec Provincial Government is being stupid, and rushing for the wrong reasons.

I'm not a fan in general of the Provincial Government here in Ontario, but I will say I do believe Ford and his party have handled COVID-19 very well. Not perfectly, of course, but I've overall supported what they've done.

As the second hardest hit Province in the country, they've been very clear that they want to wait until cases drop severely, that they want to open up slowly and wait so they can clamp down quickly if needed. They also refused to be pressured by other Provinces opening up faster as they want people to be safe. I completely agree with this.

I feel bad for Alberta though. At last check, they are opening up things pretty quick.
Yeah, it's ridiculous here dude. I work in the mining industry and they are rushing to get the guys to go out on the drills without helpers, and usually, it's a 2-man job. If they do have helpers, they have to wear those full face masks. Like why even bother? I work in accounting and we've been back at the office for 3 weeks now, and there's only like 6 of us here while everyone else is laid off. Why not have us work at home like before? They aren't even disinfecting anything here because the janitors ain't working. I don't know, it's kinda fucked up that they're forcing us back. But hey they put a tape 2 meters in front of my office must be safe. lmao

E

Eldriken

Yeah, it's ridiculous here dude. I work in the mining industry and they are rushing to get the guys to go out on the drills without helpers, and usually, it's a 2-man job. If they do have helpers, they have to wear those full face masks. Like why even bother? I work in accounting and we've been back at the office for 3 weeks now, and there's only like 6 of us here while everyone else is laid off. Why not have us work at home like before? They aren't even disinfecting anything here because the janitors ain't working. I don't know, it's kinda fucked up that they're forcing us back. But hey they put a tape 2 meters in front of my office must be safe. lmao
Yup. That tape is gonna stop the virus right in its tracks, right? :DOGE

That's completely screwed up, and I'm sorry you're going through that. My best bud lives in Montreal and he works for the Royal Bank of Canada as a manager in collections. He has to go into the office once a week, as there is still a few agents working in-office, but otherwise, he works from home.

Another buddy of mine there is an editor in the feature film industry, and he's currently cutting from home. He's an Ontario resident and moving back here at years end, and his word to describe the Quebec Provincial government right now is "stupid."

My RBC buddy is also an Ontario native, who lives there now with his wife and kid, and he's being more diplomatic. We're actually discussing that right now.

For myself, I work for a television production company and as I've mentioned before, I'm in limbo. I'm currently being bad from the government's wage subsidy (not the Canadian Emergency Relief Benefit), but I've been told not to work so I'm chilling at home.

I did a catch up video conference with my boss last week, as all our offices have been closed since late March. He's in Montreal where are head office is, and I oversee our Toronto office (I'm the Operations Manager - Canada). His prediction right now is that our Montreal, Toronto, and New York offices will not re-open until late June. I always figured early to mid-June, but he's more in the know so his guess will likely prove more accurate.

He's already told me we're going to need to remove and respace out desks, remove kitchen tables and appliances, work desks will need to be kept clear, plastic barriers for desks will be coming in, and many people will still be permitted to work from home. For my company at least, it sounds like they're on the right track.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yup. That tape is gonna stop the virus right in its tracks, right? :DOGE
The virus will look at the red tape and say 'OH SHIT IVE BEEN DEFEATED'

That's completely screwed up, and I'm sorry you're going through that. My best bud lives in Montreal and he works for the Royal Bank of Canada as a manager in collections. He has to go into the office once a week, as there is still a few agents working in-office, but otherwise, he works from home.

Another buddy of mine there is an editor in the feature film industry, and he's currently cutting from home. He's an Ontario resident and moving back here at years end, and his word to describe the Quebec Provincial government right now is "stupid."

My RBC buddy is also an Ontario native, who lives there now with his wife and kid, and he's being more diplomatic. We're actually discussing that right now.

For myself, I work for a television production company and as I've mentioned before, I'm in limbo. I'm currently being bad from the government's wage subsidy (not the Canadian Emergency Relief Benefit), but I've been told not to work so I'm chilling at home.

I did a catch up video conference with my boss last week, as all our offices have been closed since late March. He's in Montreal where are head office is, and I oversee our Toronto office (I'm the Operations Manager - Canada). His prediction right now is that our Montreal, Toronto, and New York offices will not re-open until late June. I always figured early to mid-June, but he's more in the know so his guess will likely prove more accurate.

He's already told me we're going to need to remove and respace out desks, remove kitchen tables and appliances, work desks will need to be kept clear, plastic barriers for desks will be coming in, and many people will still be permitted to work from home. For my company at least, it sounds like they're on the right track.
Do you work on the show Supergirl? Cause if so we need to talk.

Jk, but I'm glad you're staying home safe at least. So wait you're not getting the ERB? I know some of our girls who were laid off didn't even get their unemployment checks yet. Our gov makes no sense, they're just capitalist bastards who are willing to sacrifice people so we can get back 'to normal' more quickly. This whole thing made me realize how they really don't give a shit.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I guess my area is opening things up to phase 1 as of yesterday. From what I can find, the known cases aren't very large. like a few thousand between two states. The metro area has something like 2.3 million people. Even counting two full states worth of known numbers, that's functionally nothing. Unless a few hundred thousand have actually had it secretly, I don't know that anything is different than it was 2 months ago in terms of who could get it and how fast it could spread.

The opening isn't wildly different than the lock down so that's something. I'm going to be curious to see what happens after a couple weeks of stuff like this.

Do you work on the show Supergirl? Cause if so we need to talk.

Jk, but I'm glad you're staying home safe at least. So wait you're not getting the ERB? I know some of our girls who were laid off didn't even get their unemployment checks yet. Our gov makes no sense, they're just capitalist bastards who are willing to sacrifice people so we can get back 'to normal' more quickly. This whole thing made me realize how they really don't give a shit.
Nope. My company makes non-super hero dramas and a lot of factual entertainment.

When I was laid off at the begging of April, I applied for EI, which got pushed to CERB of course, but I got that near instantly. I applied on Sun. Apr. 5th and by Wed, Apr. 8th the $2000.00 was in my account. Your coworkers, did they properly apply for CERB? How long ago? The Federal Government was cranking that out crazy quick!

After two weeks, my company qualified for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, which is what I'm on now. I'm not getting my full salary, but I'm getting a good but more than CERB and not working to boot, so I'm all good.

For myself, I also have been very pleased with how the Federal Government is handling the pandemic. They're responding well and they've put in programs and relief support (on the financial level) that is helping people across the country.

The Provincial Government here has frozen prices, had hydro companies charge off-peak hours constantly, etc. as well.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Hasnt Georgia been opened up for almost 2 weeks now, have not checked up on it but have not heard anything crazy about it either.
The problem is that it can take a couple weeks for the incubation period for the virus, and also there's too little testing being done, so it can take awhile before we know the impact of a state opening up.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Nope. My company makes non-super hero dramas and a lot of factual entertainment.

When I was laid off at the begging of April, I applied for EI, which got pushed to CERB of course, but I got that near instantly. I applied on Sun. Apr. 5th and by Wed, Apr. 8th the $2000.00 was in my account. Your coworkers, did they properly apply for CERB? How long ago? The Federal Government was cranking that out crazy quick!

After two weeks, my company qualified for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, which is what I'm on now. I'm not getting my full salary, but I'm getting a good but more than CERB and not working to boot, so I'm all good.

For myself, I also have been very pleased with how the Federal Government is handling the pandemic. They're responding well and they've put in programs and relief support (on the financial level) that is helping people across the country.

The Provincial Government here has frozen prices, had hydro companies charge off-peak hours constantly, etc. as well.
They did it back in March, but I heard you can't have both unemployment and the 2K a month so maybe they applied for both I really don't know. But they're both pregnant so maybe that has something to do with it.

That's awesome, glad Ontario is actually taking this stuff seriously and showing they care about people.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
The problem is that it can take a couple weeks for the incubation period for the virus, and also there's too little testing being done, so it can take awhile before we know the impact of a state opening up.
That couple week period is coming up soon will be interesting to watch and see what happens.

They did it back in March, but I heard you can't have both unemployment and the 2K a month so maybe they applied for both I really don't know. But they're both pregnant so maybe that has something to do with it.

That's awesome, glad Ontario is actually taking this stuff seriously and showing they care about people.
That is correct. Right now, anyone who applies for EI will receive CERB instead. This will last for each person for three or four months (I can't recall which). If they person is still unemployed after they've received all of CERB, it then goes to their EI.

Not sure if being pregnant changes things. Did they stop working because they were pregnant, or because of COVID-19? Are they receiving CERB?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
That is correct. Right now, anyone who applies for EI will receive CERB instead. This will last for each person for three or four months (I can't recall which). If they person is still unemployed after they've received all of CERB, it then goes to their EI.

Not sure if being pregnant changes things. Did they stop working because they were pregnant, or because of COVID-19? Are they receiving CERB?
They stopped working 'cause of COVID, they were laid off. And I don't think they're receiving CERB money at all.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I haven’t stopped working except when I was sick. Job hasn’t closed down. And GA “opened back up” anyway, which is really fucking stupid. But GA is ran by an idiot, and idiots, so I expected nothing less.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/gi9nea "I attended the rally to photograph it while wearing PPE. Living around the Wisconsin Capitol Building I have seen my fair share of protests. But this one was different in a much more dangerous way.

People were telling me to take off the PPE because it was a "hoax by the Democrats." There was Nazi imagery. There were conspiracies about how 5G was spreading the virus. Participants were riled the US flag wasn't flying on the Capitol, even though it WAS FLYING on the other side of the building. And then there were the military cosplayers.

Every large scale protest brings out the fringe, but this one was just bonkers."

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Pretty much how I feel.

I feel that big time!

Stuff got extended in New Mexico, in my county at least. I'm not surprised at all, the north west portion (my portion) of the state especially hasn't done a good job. A bunch of dumb dickheads not staying home, as well as people on the reservation not staying home either. Gallup goes into lockdown, so everyone just gang bangs Farmington.

People get outright mocked for wearing masks and shit like that. The masks and gloves are far from perfect, but people are getting clowned on for even trying their best. It is fucking astounding how rampant it is here. People want shit to go back to normal so bad (everyone does) and ironically their behavior is the biggest barrier to that.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
WI Supreme Court last night just ruled WI's current Stay At Home measures unlawful, and so now WI is instantly open, other than places where individual counties have stepped in and put Stay At Home guides in place. Bars started opening last night, and there's already tons of pictures on social media of packed bars, people not doing any social distancing, not wearing masks. Idiots.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
WI Supreme Court last night just ruled WI's current Stay At Home measures unlawful, and so now WI is instantly open, other than places where individual counties have stepped in and put Stay At Home guides in place. Bars started opening last night, and there's already tons of pictures on social media of packed bars, people not doing any social distancing, not wearing masks. Idiots.
Texas has done somewhat the same. The entire lockdown wasn't lifted, but Abbott's initial repealing of certain places being locked down has resulted in STUPIDLY packed public spaces and restaurants (especially on Mother's Day) because LOL who woulda thunk that restaurants can't / won't enforce the capacity limitations. In addition, Abbott has dictated that it's unlawful for mayors to require businesses to provide PPE to their employees so you can find pics and stories of wall-to-wall packed restaurants with not a mask in sight, employees included.

Thank the Elder Gods I'm an introverted recluse because the more this shit gets peeled back with no cure / vaccine, the more I'm staying home. I've already transitioned from weekly grocery shopping to bi-weekly to halve my shopping trips. The fresher ingredients take a hit in quality towards the end of week two, but I'd rather live with something like not-as-fresh bell peppers for my fajitas instead of permanent lung damage.

Texas has done somewhat the same. The entire lockdown wasn't lifted, but Abbott's initial repealing of certain places being locked down has resulted in STUPIDLY packed public spaces and restaurants (especially on Mother's Day) because LOL who woulda thunk that restaurants can't / won't enforce the capacity limitations. In addition, Abbott has dictated that it's unlawful for mayors to require businesses to provide PPE to their employees so you can find pics and stories of wall-to-wall packed restaurants with not a mask in sight, employees included.

Thank the Elder Gods I'm an introverted recluse because the more this shit gets peeled back with no cure / vaccine, the more I'm staying home. I've already transitioned from weekly grocery shopping to bi-weekly to halve my shopping trips. The fresher ingredients take a hit in quality towards the end of week two, but I'd rather live with something like not-as-fresh bell peppers for my fajitas instead of permanent lung damage.
One of the stores I go to has a sign saying no entry without masks. Well that was a lie. On one hand I understand why, a few cities over a guy got shot for trying to enforce the rules. But on the other hand that happened in the ghetto, we don't have a lot of crime, we're pretty safe boringly so where I live. The worst offense we had in almost a decade was a male hooker.