What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

hope everyone I staying safe! I finished 2 games, read 4 books (and ordered 5 more), I could live the whole year like this tbh bring it on. Except you know, I hope that those who do get it will recover!
I mostly doing the same:

• Finished three games and enjoying others
  • Started watching an old TV show I used to enjoy
  • Detailing the car
  • Working on stuff around the property
My company is paying me to stay home as well, and while the circumstances around the virus are awful, I could easily stand for another month or so of being comfortable and safe.

Of course, things won't last like this forever, so a question I have: Does anyone know where I can get a cloth mask here in Canada? Amazon is backlogged like crazy, understandably, and I'm not sure where else to check at the moment.

I'm going to want one for when I have to start taking the train to downtown again.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Of course, things won't last like this forever, so a question I have: Does anyone know where I can get a cloth mask here in Canada? Amazon is backlogged like crazy, understandably, and I'm not sure where else to check at the moment.

I'm going to want one for when I have to start taking the train to downtown again.
Coffee filters make a passable mask, better than just cloth alone. Get a bandana or other fabric that you can turn into a mask. Get 1 or 2 coffee filters and fold them in half, creating 2-4 layers of filter, and put them in the mask. Put it on and press it down around your nose and mouth. You should be able to blow as hard as you can on a lighter without blowing it out. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Coffee filters make a passable mask, better than just cloth alone. Get a bandana or other fabric that you can turn into a mask. Get 1 or 2 coffee filters and fold them in half, creating 2-4 layers of filter, and put them in the mask. Put it on and press it down around your nose and mouth. You should be able to blow as hard as you can on a lighter without blowing it out. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
Good suggestions. To clarify though, I have a proper N95 mask (bought one a while ago for using weeding spray on the property as it burns my throat otherwise), but just one so I'll use it if I have to. I have two disposable masks, not washable. I'm looking for a place to order a proper washable cloth mask.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Jynks @Juxtapose I can't remember which of you was asking about it, but that website with all the roms, comics, and other entertainment for download is back up. I use it to download all their roms for NES, Genesis, SNES, etc, and have also downloaded a ton of comics. They're reputable. Even got a discord at https://discord.gg/the-eye

@Jynks @Juxtapose I can't remember which of you was asking about it, but that website with all the roms, comics, and other entertainment for download is back up. I use it to download all their roms for NES, Genesis, SNES, etc, and have also downloaded a ton of comics. They're reputable. Even got a discord at https://discord.gg/the-eye

Wasn't me, but good to know. I have a Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulator and pretty much every single game, all backed up at the moment.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
From sciencemag.org:
"Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control...
...Let’s be clear: Without a coronavirus vaccine, we will never be able to live normally again."

From sciencemag.org:
"Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control...
...Let’s be clear: Without a coronavirus vaccine, we will never be able to live normally again."
Yeah and people outright mocking the virus isn’t helping man.

Ive heard “the flu kills more people each year!” More times than I can count.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If you have a cloth mask, adding a Nylon stocking layer can also help. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/22/840146830/adding-a-nylon-stocking-layer-could-boost-protection-from-cloth-masks-study-find

I heard on the news this morning that the Declaration of Emergency here in Ontario is now being extended to Tues. Jun. 2nd, which makes complete sense.

I also did some math based on figures released on Sunday. Here in Ontario, the death rate is 8%. For those under the age of 60 though, it drops to 0.4%.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I heard on the news this morning that the Declaration of Emergency here in Ontario is now being extended to Tues. Jun. 2nd, which makes complete sense.

I also did some math based on figures released on Sunday. Here in Ontario, the death rate is 8%. For those under the age of 60 though, it drops to 0.4%.
Shit, I wonder if they'll extend that in Quebec too. I'm pretty sure roads are still closed here and we can't leave cities and towns.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I seen so many middle-aged women on FB use old bras to make masks and like first off, bold of you to assume I have more than one bra, and second, why? I would die of embarrassment knowing I got a bra on my damn face.
I can't find the link, but there was a picture on the "Scottish People Twitter" subreddit of a sign that said, "If you're going to make a mask out of a bra, make sure to use the left side, because you don't want to look like a right tit."

Shit, I wonder if they'll extend that in Quebec too. I'm pretty sure roads are still closed here and we can't leave cities and towns.
I'm not sure. Your Provincial Government seems gung ho to start opening stuff up, despite that fact that doing such now will kill more people guaranteed and despite being the most affected Province in the country.

You guys should be on lock down the longest, in my opinion.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Maybe they're already doing this, but it'd be cool if NRS would partner with some fabric companies and try and produce some MK themed masks, with proceeds going to charity. Also some COVID themed MK skins for certain characters, again with proceeds going to charity.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've been this close to just wearing my Boba Fett helmet when I go out (with a real mask on as well, of course). I'd for sure wear a Sub Zero or Scorpion ninja mask.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm not sure. Your Provincial Government seems gung ho to start opening stuff up, despite that fact that doing such now will kill more people guaranteed and despite being the most affected Province in the country.

You guys should be on lock down the longest, in my opinion.
It's weird cause it seems that Trudeau was not on board with starting it all back up and honestly it's messed up cause we all know what's gonna happen. Cities gonna start opening up, cases will rocket, so will deaths, and then they'll just shut everything down again. And for what? It's so fucking dumb. I am staying home, idc, I don't wanna risk knowing if my immune system can fight the virus or not.

It's weird cause it seems that Trudeau was not on board with starting it all back up and honestly it's messed up cause we all know what's gonna happen. Cities gonna start opening up, cases will rocket, so will deaths, and then they'll just shut everything down again. And for what? It's so fucking dumb. I am staying home, idc, I don't wanna risk knowing if my immune system can fight the virus or not.
That's the thing though, opening up at this point is a Provincial and not a Federal matter. The only way Trudeau himself could stop it would be if he declared a State of National Emergency, which has not happened.

Personally, I think the Quebec Provincial Government is being stupid, and rushing for the wrong reasons.

I'm not a fan in general of the Provincial Government here in Ontario, but I will say I do believe Ford and his party have handled COVID-19 very well. Not perfectly, of course, but I've overall supported what they've done.

As the second hardest hit Province in the country, they've been very clear that they want to wait until cases drop severely, that they want to open up slowly and wait so they can clamp down quickly if needed. They also refused to be pressured by other Provinces opening up faster as they want people to be safe. I completely agree with this.

I feel bad for Alberta though. At last check, they are opening up things pretty quick.