What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

It's not really a matter of about being happy. It's a matter of realizing that some people are lost causes. I think people should help one another but there does come a limit when someone just keeps falling for the same dumb scams over and over.
I have pretty difficult time writing people off, even knowing there are some objectively terrible people in the world that even like being terrible people. I don't really expect anyone to really take my POV on people, and it's probably not an objectively well balanced take.

That said, being "lost cause" is wildly subjective. Anyone can decide that for anyone using any criteria. If I decide you are a lost cause, and I get a few people to agree, what should we do about it? Do we get to take action? If so when? How strong can that action be? Should we really be able to decide that about you, and what will you do in response to us being in opposition against you?

Things obviously shift around depending on what is actually being talked about, and I'm probably drifting away from original comments, but really all I want if for everyone to cut everyone else some extra slack right now. There is a lot of pressure and animosity building between groups of people that don't agree on various things related to this outbreak. One thing we don't need is that blowing up and making a bad situation even worse. The longer things go on, the more likely that becomes.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
And it begins...
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/g94vfg And surprise of surprises, she learned nothing...

"I have been forced to quarantine in my home for 2 weeks," she wrote on her social media page.

"I have been told not to participate in public or private accommodations as requested by the government, and therefore denied my 1st amendment right of freedom of religion," she wrote."

Last edited:
I have pretty difficult time writing people off, even knowing there are some objectively terrible people in the world that even like being terrible people. I don't really expect anyone to really take my POV on people, and it's probably not an objectively well balanced take.

That said, being "lost cause" is wildly subjective. Anyone can decide that for anyone using any criteria. If I decide you are a lost cause, and I get a few people to agree, what should we do about it? Do we get to take action? If so when? How strong can that action be? Should we really be able to decide that about you, and what will you do in response to us being in opposition against you?

Things obviously shift around depending on what is actually being talked about, and I'm probably drifting away from original comments, but really all I want if for everyone to cut everyone else some extra slack right now. There is a lot of pressure and animosity building between groups of people that don't agree on various things related to this outbreak. One thing we don't need is that blowing up and making a bad situation even worse. The longer things go on, the more likely that becomes.
I'm probably looking at it from a too personal view instead objectively. I have a family member who is religious and keeps falling for scams. I warn them, they don't believe me and then they learn the pastor or whatever is a piece of crap. Rinse and repeat. I've kind of given up on warning her because I'm just sick of her putting her hand on the hot stove over and over so to speak.

You can't save everyone from themselves, but I think we as a society should still try to shut down people who take advantage of other people, whenever we can.
This can get behind. Regardless of who the victims are, taking advantage of them is still bad.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I'm just in actual shock over him saying to inject lysol. Even people who support him iv heard make fun of that.
I reviewed it again and he didn't "tell" anyone to do anything.

It was a question. The media and public twisted it to make him say what they wanted him to say so they could attack and villainize him some more.

Go watch it again. He spoke in question form

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I reviewed it again and he didn't "tell" anyone to do anything.

It was a question. The media and public twisted it to make him say what they wanted him to say so they could attack and villainize him some more.

Go watch it again. He spoke in question form
And why on earth would the leader of a nation muse about potentially harmful, if not life threatening, bad science on live television during an epidemic? How is it that people who are supporters followed up that "question form" musing with unironically attempting what he was saying or hoarding their public officials / health care professionals with calls to ask if it's alright? It's almost like him doing it in "question form" is still a lead for people to think about doing it.

Sure. He said it in question form definitely. However, there's a LOT of people looking to their leader for guidance in what is an absolutely shitty time. Said leader musing about asinine horseshit that is guaranteed to get people hurt if they follow his line of "questioning" is beyond unacceptable. He's not a scientist, he's not a medical professional -- he has 0 expertise in this area and shouldn't be speaking about these things. He needs to be focusing on his role as a leader to keep the peace, instill confidence, and bring in professionals who ARE qualified to give good advice about these things. Who fucking cares if it was question form?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
And why on earth would the leader of a nation muse about potentially harmful, if not life threatening, bad science on live television during an epidemic? How is it that people who are supporters followed up that "question form" musing with unironically attempting what he was saying or hoarding their public officials / health care professionals with calls to ask if it's alright? It's almost like him doing it in "question form" is still a lead for people to think about doing it.

Sure. He said it in question form definitely. However, there's a LOT of people looking to their leader for guidance in what is an absolutely shitty time. Said leader musing about asinine horseshit that is guaranteed to get people hurt if they follow his line of "questioning" is beyond unacceptable. He's not a scientist, he's not a medical professional -- he has 0 expertise in this area and shouldn't be speaking about these things. He needs to be focusing on his role as a leader to keep the peace, instill confidence, and bring in professionals who ARE qualified to give good advice about these things. Who fucking cares if it was question form?
Yea, a question is still a question and disinfectant is a very broad generalized term that can refer to a LOT of things. Stop reading into things that aren't there. He was asking the professional medical practitioners a question because he isn't a doctor.

That is all i concluded from watching it, anything else is opinion of interpretation. I don't like when people twist words to find underlying meaning that isn't there and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate if it was done to you.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Classically, he also went after the reporter calling into question the wisdom in what he was doing it as he was doing it, with "I'm the president and you're fake news."

All while repeatedly turning to ask and suggest that it was something being, or should be looked at. A move that simultaneously made it sound more credible to people not picking up that it was certainly not a supported line of thought, and put pressure on the professionals in the room to back him up and to investigate his big brain idea.

I've watched the footage, and read the transcript several times. I've backed up the idea that he didn't tell anyone to do it, but no where in there does his phrasing get him off the hook for it leading people down a unsafe path. The whole thing was super out there, but really not out of the current norm. It's more of it just being the worst case scenario for BS'ing to make yourself look good and finding out what you say actually matters.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Classically, he also went after the reporter calling into question the wisdom in what he was doing it as he was doing it, with "I'm the president and you're fake news."

All while repeatedly turning to ask and suggest that it was something being, or should be looked at. A move that simultaneously made it sound more credible to people not picking up that it was certainly not a supported line of thought, and put pressure on the professionals in the room to back him up and to investigate his big brain idea.

I've watched the footage, and read the transcript several times. I've backed up the idea that he didn't tell anyone to do it, but no where in there does his phrasing get him off the hook for it leading people down a unsafe path. The whole thing was super out there, but really not out of the current norm. It's more of it just being the worst case scenario for BS'ing to make yourself look good and finding out what you say actually matters.
So it's not the peoples' fault for rephrasing his words, not reading warning labels, or just overall being idiots?

It's his fault they drank lysol because he asked a question, wasn't sure if it was a stupid question or not and didn't make it obvious enough that it was a question even though it had a questionmark at the end?.....

.....and then afterwards it got an answer as well. Seems pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I'm reading into things that aren't there.

Are we going to have to start telling people that The Walking Dead is just a TV show soon? Do we need to tell people drinking blood doesn't turn you into a vampire?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
So it's not the peoples' fault for rephrasing his words, not reading warning labels, or just overall being idiots?

It's his fault they drank lysol because he asked a question, wasn't sure if it was a stupid question or not and didn't make it obvious enough that it was a question even though it had a questionmark at the end?.....

.....and then afterwards it got an answer as well. Seems pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I'm reading into things that aren't there.

Are we going to have to start telling people that The Walking Dead is just a TV show soon? Do we need to tell people drinking blood doesn't turn you into a vampire?
If the president of the United States of America, in the middle of a Covid-19 update, starts rambling about how he heard something about the dead coming back to life, and maybe there is something we can do to save them after all. That we should probably have someone looking at that, then yeah. You bet we are going to have to tell some people that Zombies aren't real.

Yeah, there are people doing not smart things. That's not news, that's super expected. We know this about the world. It's super consistent. These are also people he is in charge of looking after. I get it, it has to be hard never say anything somebody won't take the wrong way or end up hating you for. I wouldn't want to be in that situation, or carry that weight. It has to suck, and it has to be no way to win a lot of times.

If this were even remotely isolated as a behavior I would be like "that wasn't great. Ooops". But then I can't imaging someone that has been pushing the line so hard with this sort of thing, right up to the point of inviting it to happen. Usually he can just tell the hurricanes to go to Alabama and everything works out. It's not a case of the one time he slipped and said something silly, it was just one time where it backfired and people got hurt. Anything even vaguely sounding like an apology or understanding that maybe it wasn't the best time for that discussion would be great, but I don't know that he has ever done such a thing.

I think it's fine to some degree understand that it took more than one person's actions to end up with someone in an ER, but one of them said he was the President and doubled down when offered a chance to walk back or mitigate the impact of what he was doing as he was doing it. One of them is a world stage leader in the context of informing the public about what is new in a health crisis. People are serious mode. I'm really not looking to hate on him RN in the traditional sense, but I don't think claiming he didn't birth the situation and that it's all on the peasants is factually sound.

At this point it's all done. He can't undo it, and I think most of it has course corrected. We will have something new to worry about in the next couple of days I'm sure.

I'm also sure I've got way too much time to just type long runs of crap on this site for no good reason. Life is just weird right now, and I really want some brownies.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
If the president of the United States of America, in the middle of a Covid-19 update, starts rambling about how he heard something about the dead coming back to life, and maybe there is something we can do to save them after all. That we should probably have someone looking at that, then yeah. You bet we are going to have to tell some people that Zombies aren't real.

Yeah, there are people doing not smart things. That's not news, that's super expected. We know this about the world. It's super consistent. These are also people he is in charge of looking after. I get it, it has to be hard never say anything somebody won't take the wrong way or end up hating you for. I wouldn't want to be in that situation, or carry that weight. It has to suck, and it has to be no way to win a lot of times.

If this were even remotely isolated as a behavior I would be like "that wasn't great. Ooops". But then I can't imaging someone that has been pushing the line so hard with this sort of thing, right up to the point of inviting it to happen. Usually he can just tell the hurricanes to go to Alabama and everything works out. It's not a case of the one time he slipped and said something silly, it was just one time where it backfired and people got hurt. Anything even vaguely sounding like an apology or understanding that maybe it wasn't the best time for that discussion would be great, but I don't know that he has ever done such a thing.

I think it's fine to some degree understand that it took more than one person's actions to end up with someone in an ER, but one of them said he was the President and doubled down when offered a chance to walk back or mitigate the impact of what he was doing as he was doing it. One of them is a world stage leader in the context of informing the public about what is new in a health crisis. People are serious mode. I'm really not looking to hate on him RN in the traditional sense, but I don't think claiming he didn't birth the situation and that it's all on the peasants is factually sound.

At this point it's all done. He can't undo it, and I think most of it has course corrected. We will have something new to worry about in the next couple of days I'm sure.

I'm also sure I've got way too much time to just type long runs of crap on this site for no good reason. Life is just weird right now, and I really want some brownies.
Point taken, but i just get sick of vultures and hyenas waiting for any tiny mistake to jump for an easy meal. The dude could say "i gotta take a leak" and people will attack him for it. He literally can't say one fucking sentence without scavengers following him around hoping there's some nutrients to be had by consuming his fecal matter or so it seems.

It just gets real old real quick and shows how petty and immature the rest of the people in this world are and we can clearly see they are LOVING using him as an excuse to do stupid shit and then blame it on someone besides themselves.

What happened to Self-accountability? What happened to thinking your actions through thoroughly before choosing to follow through with them? People need to take responsibility for their actions. It's not a civil right to blame everyone else.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Point taken, but i just get sick of vultures and hyenas waiting for any tiny mistake to jump for an easy meal
Part of that is just politics, and it's not limited to just one side. The other day people complained about Nancy Pelosi because she has too much ice cream in her freezer. President Obama wore a tan suit once and people on Fox News questioned whether or not he had weakened the office of the Presidency by being so in-presidential. Part of the 365 24-7 news cycle means always finding something in your opponent to bring up.

Thing is, Trump does say some pretty controversial things. He's not just saying things like "I need to take a leak". He's called other countries shit hole countries, he's bragged about groping women, he's called Mexicans rapists, and plenty of other really controversial things. His messaging on COVID-19 has been all over the place. Supposedly this is what a lot of his supporters like about him (He's not PC, he speaks his mind, he says what he thinks). If he's going to keep saying these types of things, then it's fair for the media to question him on the things he says.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm probably looking at it from a too personal view instead objectively. I have a family member who is religious and keeps falling for scams. I warn them, they don't believe me and then they learn the pastor or whatever is a piece of crap. Rinse and repeat. I've kind of given up on warning her because I'm just sick of her putting her hand on the hot stove over and over so to speak.
That's tough, sorry to hear that. It's hard when you have friends, loved ones, or family that you care for and want to help, but they keep being their own worst enemy regardless.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Part of that is just politics, and it's not limited to just one side. The other day people complained about Nancy Pelosi because she has too much ice cream in her freezer. President Obama wore a tan suit once and people on Fox News questioned whether or not he had weakened the office of the Presidency by being so in-presidential. Part of the 365 24-7 news cycle means always finding something in your opponent to bring up.

Thing is, Trump does say some pretty controversial things. He's not just saying things like "I need to take a leak". He's called other countries shit hole countries, he's bragged about groping women, he's called Mexicans rapists, and plenty of other really controversial things. His messaging on COVID-19 has been all over the place. Supposedly this is what a lot of his supporters like about him (He's not PC, he speaks his mind, he says what he thinks). If he's going to keep saying these types of things, then it's fair for the media to question him on the things he says.
He does say a lot of controversial things for sure. I'm not a Trump fan but I do get tired of everyone (both sides) getting raked over the coals for DUMB shit like what you pointed out in the first paragraph. Obama getting dragged for wearing a tan suit is so silly. I wanna touch on the "he's called Mexicans rapists", I feel like everybody knows or at least should have the common sense to know he means the drug lords and criminals, not literally every Mexican. I live in a border state and nobody I know, Mexican or not, was actually heated over that, mostly other people being offended on their behalf. Trump and the right in general has a bad habit of saying really dumb things and then calling people who call them out on it cucks or libtards or beta males or basically any other buzzword y'all have heard a million times. The left however has a bad habit of deciding for other people what they should be offended by or how they need to interpret something.

My provincial government released the general framework for their evolving plan to re-open up the province. For any interested, you can read about it here.

I like how cautious they're being, how they're not setting dates, and how they are clearly prioritizing people's health and safety.

Sadly, we had an increase in cases today. For three days straight we had over 400 new cases per today and things seemed to be declining, today we have over 500 again.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I wanna touch on the "he's called Mexicans rapists", I feel like everybody knows or at least should have the common sense to know he means the drug lords and criminals, not literally every Mexican.
He basically said that all illegal immigrants coming from Mexico are rapists and criminals. This is demonstrably false. I get that he didn't technically say "I think all Mexicans are rapists" but the way he says things opens up a lot of opportunity for inference and subtext. That's what he does though. He keeps things just vague enough that he can always find some plausible deniability over his statements, while letting his supporters interpret them however they see fit. But context matters.

It's like when he had a rally and said “Hillary wants to abolish — essentially abolish the Second Amendment,” Trump said. “And if she gets to pick...” he continued, “if she gets to pick her judges: Nothing you can do, folks.

“Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is,” he added. “I don’t know. But I tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”

It's something he said which is very easy to interpret as highly controversial, but which technically he can just say "oh, I was talking about voting". He knows what he's doing though. Otherwise he wouldn't have added the "I don't know" with a knowing little wink to the audience.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
He basically said that all illegal immigrants coming from Mexico are rapists and criminals. This is demonstrably false. I get that he didn't technically say "I think all Mexicans are rapists" but the way he says things opens up a lot of opportunity for inference and subtext. That's what he does though. He keeps things just vague enough that he can always find some plausible deniability over his statements, while letting his supporters interpret them however they see fit. But context matters.

It's like when he had a rally and said “Hillary wants to abolish — essentially abolish the Second Amendment,” Trump said. “And if she gets to pick...” he continued, “if she gets to pick her judges: Nothing you can do, folks.

“Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is,” he added. “I don’t know. But I tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”

It's something he said which is very easy to interpret as highly controversial, but which technically he can just say "oh, I was talking about voting". He knows what he's doing though. Otherwise he wouldn't have added the "I don't know" with a knowing little wink to the audience.
I'm definitely not saying it was an okay thing to say, obviously illegal immigrants aren't rapists, I'm just saying it was somewhat blown out of proportion. Still a god awful thing to say don't get me wrong.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I’m pretty sure the “drug lords” are staying in Mexico, not coming across the border. Immigrants have a lower incidence of crime per person than citizens do.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I’m pretty sure the “drug lords” are staying in Mexico, not coming across the border. Immigrants have a lower incidence of crime per person than citizens do.
Butt what if you're the person who has
to check up their buttholes? That's a shitty job to have especially if you have to be super-detailed and anal about it.

I'm sure some people just turn the other cheek so they don't have to deal with that crap but others take it so seriously they get so gassed up i wonder if they can tell their own ass from a hole in the ground.

Then you realize it's hard to see clearly with your head up someone's ass, having 2nd thoughts about life-choices like why people would climb the ladder as a Proctologist and why they "went up the wrong path in life".

(i was gonna go on for awhile about this but i got bored a lot faster than I thought I would )

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
first case by contact confirmed 3 days ago, a dad infected his daughter.
hell about to break lose
religious leaders walking like they are fucking immune putting everyone else at risk

Maryland governor says coronavirus tests acquired from South Korea under guard at undisclosed location.

Coronavirus: WHO 'not invited' to join China's COVID-19 investigations