What's new

Guide - Alien Complete Tarkatan Rekka Guide - 100% Safety, Meter Building, Offensive Mindgames, and more!

Ponkz

Noob
This is embarrassing to read, the rekkas are a great tool and worthy of picking the variation. However alien as a character is not good. If you are getting hit by b3 into rekkas then it's your fault. Tarkatan has no projectiles and aliens jumps are slow and his hitbox in the air is huge, jumping over projectiles requires really solid timing. So alien has to play the other players game. If he enters b3 range then just jump in on him. It then comes down to the alien player anti airing all game. It's weird and boring.

Most variations have an op aspect, killer has a charge which is hit conformable to 39% for 1 bar, cancellable and eats a projectile. We use a bar to armor through a projectile (bf2) we get a whopping 12% and send them fullscreen

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I'm gonna B2 this shit whenever I get the chance.

I hate the entire rushdown playstyle and MKX makes sure that playstyle is absolutely oppressive.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
The Rekka's are a 3% chip string, nothing else

Unlike Tanya's you cannot meterburn and go back into pressure

When you block a Rekka it is always your turn afterwards if you've learned the MU

they also can't be meterburned to be safe armor breaking armor

Tanya's Rekka's could be made safe if you knew the timing as well

Tanya's Rekkas are better

Alien has better options outside of the rekka

its really not broken or braindead either, this is week 1 guys cmon

It's really not that tricky a timing. The first cancel is slightly quicker than you might expect, the second is slightly longer.
eh? It's literally 2x 2 frame links in a row with no real visual or audio cues to go off, to be completely safe. That may be easy to you, but in MKX, it's objectively one of the harder execution things in the game.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The Rekka's are a 3% chip string, nothing else

Unlike Tanya's you cannot meterburn and go back into pressure

When you block a Rekka it is always your turn afterwards if you've learned the MU

they also can't be meterburned to be safe armor breaking armor

Tanya's Rekka's could be made safe if you knew the timing as well

Tanya's Rekkas are better

Alien has better options outside of the rekka

its really not broken or braindead either, this is week 1 guys cmon

eh? It's literally 2x 2 frame links in a row with no real visual or audio cues to go off, to be completely safe. That may be easy to you, but in MKX, it's objectively one of the harder execution things in the game.
What evidence do you have for it being a 2 frame link?

I'm fairly certain the gap is much more generous. I can actually see a difference in timing yet still remain safe for both of them.

If done to good block timing, you can just ex rekka again like you could with Tanya.

You're also only considering the rekka in a vacuum, and not with it's proper application of making his huge range 50/50 safe and hit confirmed. Tanya used rekka for pressure, whilst Alien uses his for safety and big meter build.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
What evidence do you have for it being a 2 frame link?

I'm fairly certain the gap is much more generous. I can actually see a difference in timing yet still remain safe for both of them.

If done to good block timing, you can just ex rekka again like you could with Tanya.
well, it's -4 on block if you perfect the timing to the frame

if you miss by 1 frame, you are -5. If you do that on both links, you are -6. Thats 2x 2 frame links. If you miss by a 3rd frame, you are -7 and punishable.

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought that is how it worked however? It certainly feels like 2 frame links to me against Lao's spin, and I main Hellfire so I'm used to having a 2f link every combo. But maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, we don't judge balance by ease of execution. "Braindead" or not doesn't make it OP, not that it is braindead, nor is it OP. Everytime you use it on block you are giving up your turn unlike Tanya, so it's not something you want to just run in and apply, it's uses are simply to blockconfirm into it to build meter which you literally cannot combo without, and to make your 50/50 safe, and as a footsies opener (slow mid but far advancing)

And yeah you can EX-Rekka again but that's breakable, whiffable, and doesn't break opposing armor like Tanya's did.

I'm yet to see any evidence that this character is OP, or else I wouldn't be playing him, my first choice was Cyber Sub. Alien has definite flaws to compensate for his strengths, and his strengths are good but nowhere near as good as some people seem to think with their week 1 conclusion.

Last edited:

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
Honestly they should just keep this in man. Maybe nerf the delayed safe 50/50 so people will have no excuse getting hit from gaps AND unsafeness. This variation looks fun and I enjoy playing against it with Cyrax :)

MadMagician86

This One is unimpressed

Can anyone explain what happens here? I've had it happen against Lao's Vortex, as shown in the video, and Sub's Icy Slide. Haven't tested it against anything else. I've also done it during Straight Slice(the second hit of the rekkas).

haketh

Noob

Can anyone explain what happens here? I've had it happen against Lao's Vortex, as shown in the video, and Sub's Icy Slide. Haven't tested it against anything else. I've also done it during Straight Slice(the second hit of the rekkas).
It's because MKX training mode is dumb and still counts that hit as a kill so the armor fails

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Disgusted that someone thought adding these Rekkas were a good idea. The most annoying thing to fight against since release. Should've left Tanya as she was if this was going to be added.

But remember folks, guess wrong on armor when they stop short and receive a full combo punish.

NRS is probably laughing their ass off at us.

ando1184

Noob
Disgusted that someone thought adding these Rekkas were a good idea. The most annoying thing to fight against since release. Should've left Tanya as she was if this was going to be added.

But remember folks, guess wrong on armor when they stop short and receive a full combo punish.

I'm sure it will get addressed soon, along with the other DLC'S, lookin at bo, cyrax, and LF on that one.....

omooba

fear the moobs

but the 1st rekka isn't safe on block. second is only safe when fully delayed. still really nasty though

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Rip Baby. May u rest in sweet peace

Tarkatan Alien Born:March 1, 2016 Died:March 29, 2016

:16Bit

omooba

fear the moobs
How is he top tier now with OS reversals blowing him up so hard? I still use him but only cause people haven't mastered it yet :v
i'm assuming it's cus not everyone has armored launchers so it's not that bad maybe? and he still has a virtually half screen 50/50 into a potentially safe decent meterbuilding decent chipping safe special