What's new

Guide - Alien Complete Tarkatan Rekka Guide - 100% Safety, Meter Building, Offensive Mindgames, and more!

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
"Yo lets give Tremor's up rock (but with like even more hitstun) to Sektor, and you know what? That Tanya is annoying but lets give her safe rekka pressure to alien. Oh, except he gets a hard knockdown 50/50 at the end of it. Yea that about balances things up."
I can't speak on the rest, but there is no 50/50 on Alien. It's basically just a high execution block string

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
I will honestly play Alien if I can jail these.
at the moment tarkatan is easily the best variation because of this imo. i got the rekkas down in about an hour and 3 days to master it completely. its so deadly because u can start the rekkas from midscreen low starter,overhead starter, and any other string. its great

x TeeJay o

"Yo lets give Tremor's up rock (but with like even more hitstun) to Sektor, and you know what? That Tanya is annoying but lets give her safe rekka pressure to alien. Oh, except he gets a hard knockdown 50/50 at the end of it. Yea that about balances things up."
Sektors up rockets are a mid, tremors was an overhead. Thats a big difference. Sektors up missles stop tracking once the leave the screen MEANING you can run straight at him ON REACTION and completely avoid them. I honestly think the up rockets are fine other than him being able to run fullscreen and combo.

Alien doesnt have 50/50's and the rekkas arent as braindead as you think. ANYBODY could pick up tanya and use her rekkas, aliens are MUCH more easier to armor thorugh if you dont time them right. The OH/low on it can be fuzzy guarded because the overhead is like 24 startup. Stop watching all of reo's tech videos and assuming stuff maybe go into practice and see how to get around these things...

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Sektors up rockets are a mid, tremors was an overhead. Thats a big difference. Sektors up missles stop tracking once the leave the screen MEANING you can run straight at him ON REACTION and completely avoid them. I honestly think the up rockets are fine other than him being able to run fullscreen and combo.

Alien doesnt have 50/50's and the rekkas arent as braindead as you think. ANYBODY could pick up tanya and use her rekkas, aliens are MUCH more easier to armor thorugh if you dont time them right. The OH/low on it can be fuzzy guarded because the overhead is like 24 startup. Stop watching all of reo's tech videos and assuming stuff maybe go into practice and see how to get around these things...
Been using Alien for a week and I gotta say, the rekkas are pretty damn bad lol. There's no risk to playing this character if you're timing is good. Just do everything into rekka and confirm into a 30% combo that pushes them to the corner. Hell I didn't even know you could make it plus until I read the whole thread. Especially in a long set too, if you constantly end your rekkas in 1+3, then people let you get away with murder. I've stopped a rekka early and done 12 to mix them up. If you stop the rekka after bf2 1 on hit, you're +15 and you can go for another mix-up into a safe rekka to build meter/ do more damage. It's not as bad as Tanya, but I reeeeeeally think we may see some Tarkatan players in the future.

x TeeJay o

Do you think that it's something that'll stick around, if another patch were to hit?

As someone who had explored Tarkatan for the first few days, and i'm sure others will agree with me, the character does not need these rekkas, at all. Jump 1(probably the best in the game now), standing 2 and EX DB2 imo are good enough to make the variation worth picking.

Making everything, including sub 20 frame 50/50 starters -4, is crazy to me. Seems like a little too much.

With the possibility of one more patch looming, to balance any of the DLC characters, I don't feel comfortable playing this character.
I disagree. The rekkas are the reason this variation is what it is. Before reo even made this thread i was using tarkatan and completely forgot about the rekkas and i was just about to move on to acidic or konjurer because it was so underwhelming. I do believe that making the rekkas -4 on everything is too strong and wouldn't mind if they nerfed that. The variation is about the rekkas and thier pressure though without it its like picking alien with no variation. EXDB2 is a good move but not one where it could hold the character and neither is chop chop

x TeeJay o

Been using Alien for a week and I gotta say, the rekkas are pretty damn bad lol. There's no risk to playing this character if you're timing is good. Just do everything into rekka and confirm into a 30% combo that pushes them to the corner. Hell I didn't even know you could make it plus until I read the whole thread. Especially in a long set too, if you constantly end your rekkas in 1+3, then people let you get away with murder. I've stopped a rekka early and done 12 to mix them up. If you stop the rekka after bf2 1 on hit, you're +15 and you can go for another mix-up into a safe rekka to build meter/ do more damage. It's not as bad as Tanya, but I reeeeeeally think we may see some Tarkatan players in the future.
OH TRUST ME i know im getting away with murder A TON lol. I don't even use the safe rekkas all of the time i put gaps in them more because it makes the OH and Low safe and NOBODY armors through them. Thats called not knowing the matchup. I do agree with everyones concern over the medium delays making everything ungapable and -4 though. That needs to be changed i dont think it's healthy.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The problem wasn't the rekkas, it was the fact that she could cancel into MB tonfa for additional free pressure/mixups after every rekka.

Alien can't do that, so it's a bad comparison. Tanya still has the rekka's and they'll be fine.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
This is so braindead. What's so disgusting is that the first rekka jails from b3 at max range.

You block his 50/50 and all you've done his given him half a bar of meter.

I've spent in total maybe 20 mins in practice doing the rekka and can get it to jail consistent about 70% of the time, it's not even high execution lol.

Perfect example of the DLC treatment.

x TeeJay o

aliens rekka is way stronger than tanyas lol, at least with tanyas theres lack of 50/50s and range
And with aliens there is a lack of an armored projectile that loops you back into the rekkas over and over. Aliens rekkas work completely different than tanyas.
This is so braindead. What's so disgusting is that the first rekka jails from b3 at max range.

You block his 50/50 and all you've done his given him half a bar of meter.

I've spent in total maybe 20 mins in practice doing the rekka and can get it to jail consistent about 70% of the time, it's not even high execution lol.

Perfect example of the DLC treatment.
its not as braindead as u think i lost a good amount of matches against sektor, reptile, and cyrax last night. Something is always braindead in practice mode with u people though lol. ..

Really your first time using Alien and you jailed reptiles reversal slide 70% of the time into -4 1+3 grab? I Must say if u did thats impressive seeing as everyone else who have tried it says it takes some time to get down lol

Tweedy

Noob
I disagree. The rekkas are the reason this variation is what it is. Before reo even made this thread i was using tarkatan and completely forgot about the rekkas and i was just about to move on to acidic or konjurer because it was so underwhelming. I do believe that making the rekkas -4 on everything is too strong and wouldn't mind if they nerfed that. The variation is about the rekkas and thier pressure though without it its like picking alien with no variation. EXDB2 is a good move but not one where it could hold the character and neither is chop chop
Disagree 100%. Jump 1, standing 2, EX spin. Even without the rekkas, the variation does a better job of pressuring than his other variations.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
And with aliens there is a lack of an armored projectile that loops you back into the rekkas over and over. Aliens rekkas work completely different than tanyas.

its not as braindead as u think i lost a good amount of matches against sektor, reptile, and cyrax last night. Something is always braindead in practice mode with u people though lol. ..

Really your first time using Alien and you jailed reptiles reversal slide 70% of the time into -4 1+3 grab? I Must say if u did thats impressive seeing as everyone else who have tried it says it takes some time to get down lol
It's really not that tricky a timing. The first cancel is slightly quicker than you might expect, the second is slightly longer.

I'm afraid your few online matches with a week old character aren't a good measuring stick for how braindead this is.

FROST_

KH | DsV BLOODxGOD
It's really not that tricky a timing. The first cancel is slightly quicker than you might expect, the second is slightly longer.

I'm afraid your few online matches with a week old character aren't a good measuring stick for how braindead this is.
The salt from Tanya nerf?

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf

Gotta agree. I think Tark is the new pocket character. He's safe, builds meter, has insane corner carry, 50/50's, range, mix-ups, resets, etc. He's super super good and I don't even think a whole lot. Most of the time I'm just hitting 214 into rekkas. If it hits it hits and if it doesn't it doesn't.

x TeeJay o

Oh and your 20 min practice against a test AI is? ok then whatever u say

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Disagree 100%. Jump 1, standing 2, EX spin. Even without the rekkas, the variation does a better job of pressuring than his other variations.
While i do agree this variation does a better job of pressuring than the others i have to say its because of the rekkas. Acidic and konjurer are unsafe as hell and EX Spin in negative on block, so is the normal version. Standing 1 isnt going to make him fine without his rekkas. Alien is negative on almost everything he has. The rekkas being safe is just a tool (and again im not saying they should be safe i think they should be negative) but to say that this variation is fine without rekkas is just weird. He wouldn't get much meterless damage at all and 30% would be the eh point with 1 bar.

Tweedy

Noob
While i do agree this variation does a better job of pressuring than the others i have to say its because of the rekkas. Acidic and konjurer are unsafe as hell and EX Spin in negative on block, so is the normal version. Standing 1 isnt going to make him fine without his rekkas. Alien is negative on almost everything he has. The rekkas being safe is just a tool (and again im not saying they should be safe i think they should be negative) but to say that this variation is fine without rekkas is just weird. He wouldn't get much meterless damage at all and 30% would be the eh point with 1 bar.
He gets more damage without the rekkas. Combos with EX flip and EX krawl grant more damage than enhancing the third rekka.

EX spin would be by far the strongest armored move in the game, without question, if it were not negative. 9 frames, multi hitting, it being negative does not make it bad.

Jump 1 in Tarkatan is arguably the best jump in punch in the game. Standing 2 is a 9 frame punisher that's +2 on block. Has much more range than his B1.

x TeeJay o

He gets more damage without the rekkas. Combos with EX flip and EX krawl grant more damage than enhancing the third rekka.

EX spin would be by far the strongest armored move in the game, without question, if it were not negative. 9 frames, multi hitting, it being negative does not make it bad.

Jump 1 in Tarkatan is arguably the best jump in punch in the game. Standing 2 is a 9 frame punisher that's +2 on block. Has much more range than his B1.
A raw reversal EX spin grants you 25-29% midscreen which is the same as a rekka meter burned. Maybe 31-32 so its the same damage essentially.So he doesnt get more damage without rekkas its pretty even. I understand his normals are good, but that still doesnt help the cause that he would be fine with a good armor move and a bunch of standing normals. I do get your point though because he has other tools that help him get up to 35% damage 1 bar( combo starter into ex tail flip) and such, but even still i think the rekkas play a good part in its overall gameplan. I think they should be normalized as in keep them negative at all times since they have an OH/Low attached to them.

x TeeJay o

If the rekkas are nerfed to be unsafe on block, Alien will literally only have 1 string that is safe, it wouldn't break the character but there wouldn't much reason to choose it over Acidic or Konjurer
yeah but in its current state it kinda breaks Alien. unless they decrease how much meter you build but even still there would be no risk to just spamming the rekkas all game. So yes essentially he is in his current state a low risk high reward character seeing as though there is no risk to just throwing out the rekkas when i think NRS intention was to make them risky regardless. REO just broke the game lol

x TeeJay o

You have to look at a character objectively, not based on how your obviously new character does against other peoples mains.
You don't base how strong characters or braindead they are by sitting in practice either. Even still u act like the 1+3 string is positive it isnt. its -4. you can start your own offense after that or grab him for space. stop acting like once the game starts u ave no shot against alien.. that was my point of mentioning the matches i wasnt trying to say if he was good or bad.. If im not mistaken, tanya had postive rekka pressure did she not?