What's new

Guide - Alien Complete Tarkatan Rekka Guide - 100% Safety, Meter Building, Offensive Mindgames, and more!

REO

Undead
COMPLETE TARKATAN REKKA GUIDE

Rekka = Tarkatan Rush (B,F+2)

"Rekka" description for new players:
This is a term for a three hit special move that originated from Fei Longs Rekka-Ken's in Street Fighter 2. Since then many other characters have Rekka-esque moves such as Abel in Street Fighter 4, Kyo and Iori in King of Fighters, and Tanya (Kobujutsu) and Alien (Tarkatan) in Mortal Kombat X.

Making the 50/50 at the end of Rekkas jail on block with no gap:

You can make the entire three hits of Rekka jail on block so the opponent cannot armor out between any hits. They will be forced to block a 50/50 mix-up consisting of an Overhead attack or a Low attack that both grant hard knockdowns on hit. The ending Overhead attack or Low attack during the Rekkas are punishable on block. You can use this to try and close out a round or match by going for a 50/50 mix-up to close out the win. While there is a 4 frame difference in the Low attack (20f) being faster than the Overhead (24f), you can slightly delay the low portion of the attack by a couple of frames to make this a true 50/50 mix-up and it will still jail on block.

B,F+2,1,2 (Overhead) = -20 on block
B,F+2,1,4 (Low) = -11 on block

Making the 50/50s at the end of Rekka Presssure Safe:

In the opposite fashion, you can make both the Overhead attack or the Low attack completely safe on block during Rekkas at the cost of placing a gap between the hits. Once you have your opponent conditioned to respect your Rekkas pressure by jailing them, you can try being sneaky and placing gaps between your pressure to make your attacks safer on block. Make sure to make great use of mixing up if you will jail your rekkas for anti-armor / anti-backdashes or placing gaps between them for added safety. Try not to become repetitive or fall into a pattern so you can keep your opponent guessing vigorously throughout your Rekka pressure.

B,F+2, *gap*, 1, *gap* 2 (Overhead) = -5 on block
B,F+2, *gap*, 1, *gap* 4 (Low) = -4 on block

Making Rekka Pressure 100% Safe on Block:

This is the greatest attribute and backbone to Alien's Rekka pressure. You can trade out a 50/50 mix-up during your Rekka pressure for in return jailing and 100% safety from any attack in the game. By utilizing a medium delay after both the first part of the Rekka and second part, you can end in 1+3 to become safe on block against any reversal. This sequence is a must know and requires mastery in abusing Rekkas for their most beneficial potential. In the heat of a fight, this will emit pressure on the opponent when they

B,F+2,1,1+3 = -4 on Block

Safe Meter building with Rekkas on Block:

Each time you pressure your opponent with full Rekkas, you build 40% of a bar. Rekka pressuring is the source of Tarkatan's strength and it is a tool you will be using a lot during the match. You can build meter safely by performing the medium delay sequence and ending in 1+3. In addition you will also inflict about 5% of chip damage on block to your opponent every time they block a series of Rekkas from you.

Using Rekkas as a Footsie Enhancement and Neutral steroid:

The first attack in Tarkatan's Rekkas starts up at 15 frames and goes nearly half screen. This is absolutely empowering for Alien's already solid neutral and footsie game. IN Tarkatan Rekka can be substituted and used as Alien's primary advancing mid string, whiff punisher, offense initiator, BNB starter, and much more. Alien's Rekka is just about an all purpose special attack and gives him what he needs to apply the pressure and force your opponent to be alert of it's range.

Powerful and Easy Hit Confirms utilizing Rekka Meter Burn:

Tarkatan provides Alien with some of the easiest and safest hit confirms into full combo launchers by utilizing the Meter Burn aspect of 1+3 at the end of a Rekka for one bar of super meter. This is what causes your opponent to be careful when trying to armor between your gaps. If they think you are going to add a gap between your Rekkas, you can jail your Rekkas and when you end in 1+3, you can Meter Burn that and launch your opponent for a full combo. This can easily be done on reaction to hitting an opponent so you never have to waste meter. This further strengthens the pressure of Alien's Rekkas and makes your opponent more lenient to block instead of backdashing or attempting to escape with armor.

Completely Safe 50/50 combo starters:

Safe Overhead starter using Rekkas:

Once you see that your opponent is respecting you in neutral or blocking because of the fear of Rekkas, you can start going for an overhead combo starter using F+4 linked into Rekkas. This entire sequence jails and is completely safe on block and on hit you can Meter Burn the last hit of 1+3 to start a full combo juggle. Use this also on your opponent's wake-up to force them into a guessing situation.

Safe Low starter using Rekkas:

Once you see that your opponent is respecting you in neutral or blocking because of the fear of Rekkas, you can start going for a low combo starter using B+3 linked into Rekkas. This entire sequence jails and is completely safe on block and on hit you can Meter Burn the last hit of 1+3 to start a full combo juggle. Use this also on your opponent's wake-up to force them into a guessing situation.

Making punishable or unsafe strings on block Safe with Rekkas:

By applying the medium delay sequence of Rekkas cancelled into 1+3, you can make almost any string from Alien safe on block. This will create many new string threats that you would normally not see used very often in Alien's other two variations by giving Alien a bigger pool of attacks to choose from. Abusing strings and shuffling your onslaught of attacks coupled with Rekkas is a very powerful way to keep your opponent guessing and susceptible to the next attack.

Maximizing Meter Building with Rekkas:

Rekkas alone already build Alien great super meter on block. But tagging that perk along with strings will create even stronger meter building for Alien in Tarkatan. Doing something as simple as landing a blocked jump in punch followed up into three hit string linked into Rekkas will build (70% of 1 bar) which is very powerful. The string sequence shown in the video above also does 8% of chip damage on block which is perfect for chipping out an opponent who happens to block a jump in and has low health.

Making the last hit of Rekka Plus on Block:

By applying delays and generating gaps between your Rekka pressure and ending in 1+3, you can make Alien have frame advantage on block. This is a very powerful assist in the hands of a character such as Alien because of how many mindgames revolve around his Rekkas. This further establishes another layer and gives your opponent more on their plate to think about. If you feel your opponent is playing a bit too defensive, you can start adding gaps in your Rekkas and go into 1+3 for some block advantage. Your opponent can neutral duck the last hit on a read, but doing the last part a few frames earlier will cause it to jail and your opponent will be hit for letting go of block.

B,F+2, *gap*, 1, *gap* 1+3 (High) = +3 on block

Completely Safe Armor Attack and Reversal:

Alien is very fun. Hope you guys enjoy. Discuss. (post all things involving Rekkas here too or if you see something that should be in the original post)

Last edited:
Hi Tanya.

Changes are to be expected. I don't think that NRS will let it rock for too long. But at the other hand, the Rekkas(50/50) only give a knockdown. I glossed over Tarkatan but stuff like this makes the variation even more interesting. Good stuff Reo, you are making God's work.

Tweedy

Noob
@YOMI REO is there a trick to the medium delay? I just set Kung Lao to EX spin reversal; I could only manage to block it 2/10 times or so. Seems pretty rough.

Reactions: GQJ

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Thanks REO. I'm currently composing a Tarkatan guide that will stay updated, do you mind if I link to this? This is a very nice explanation of the Rekkas and I'd basically just have to remake this page lol

Reactions: REO

GQJ

Noob
While there is a 4 frame difference in the Low attack (20f) being faster than the Overhead (24f), you can slightly delay the low portion of the attack by a couple of frames to make this a true 50/50 mix-up and it will still jail on block.
2 Things.

1. Are there any cues to determine when you should delay the low?

2. What is the min difference between an OH an L speed to be considered fuzzy guardable?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Hi Tanya.

Changes are to be expected. I don't think that NRS will let it rock for too long. But at the other hand, the Rekkas(50/50) only give a knockdown. I glossed over Tarkatan but stuff like this makes the variation even more interesting. Good stuff Reo, you are making God's work.
Just because something is overhead / low doesn't make it a 50/50. That mix-up at the end isn't a 50/50, and I'm unsure why REO described it as one. That 24f overhead is super reactable, you can block the entire mix-up by holding low block, and reacting to the BIG tell on the overhead, the animation is blatant as hell.

This Rekka is a lot worse but fairer than Tanya's. The "mix-up" at the end is just a gimmick to compensate for the fact that you can't meterburn the final hit like she can. The if you make a gap between the last two hits however, the overhead catches backdashes, so it has a niche use, very meta though.

Jolt

Uprise
@YOMI REO thank you. Just thank you so much. I haven't had as much time to dive into this character or variation as I would like and you saved me massive legwork

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So with the medium delay is there still a gap? Can an armor reversal punish?

Alien's rekkas work like Tanyas in that you can OS Armor moves where they will come out with gaps and wont with none. So I just want to make sure that when you mean 100% safety you mean that medium delay does not create a gap. Otherwise it isn't 100% safe.

Really great work though. Some great info in here.

Edit: Tested it and figured out how to do it without a gap. You're my hero REO lol.

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
So with the medium delay is there still a gap? Can an armor reversal punish?

Alien's rekkas work like Tanyas in that you can OS Armor moves where they will come out with gaps and wont with none. So I just want to make sure that when you mean 100% safety you mean that medium delay does not create a gap. Otherwise it isn't 100% safe.

Really great work though. Some great info in here.

Edit: Tested it and figured out how to do it without a gap. You're my hero REO lol.
Yeah its legit . No gap with this. REKKAS!!!! <33333

REO

Undead
@YOMI REO is there a trick to the medium delay? I just set Kung Lao to EX spin reversal; I could only manage to block it 2/10 times or so. Seems pretty rough.
Just practice the timing until you get it. There's a sweet spot in delaying the 1 after B,F+2 that will jail and make it safe with a follow up delayed 1+3.

Thanks REO. I'm currently composing a Tarkatan guide that will stay updated, do you mind if I link to this? This is a very nice explanation of the Rekkas and I'd basically just have to remake this page lol
Yes. Feel free to go ahead.

2 Things.

1. Are there any cues to determine when you should delay the low?

2. What is the min difference between an OH an L speed to be considered fuzzy guardable?
1.) No. It's all just timing of when you press the button.

2.) Usually a 50/50 can be fuzzy guarded if one option is 3 frames quicker than the other one and they have a similar timing on when they will come out (like after blocking a JIP). Alien has so many ways to delay and change the speed of his Rekkas so during the heat of the battle he will probably catch you sleeping or read onto your block habits and clip you with a mix up. Like they say, you can't always block forever.

Jolt

Uprise
@YOMI REO I didn't see this in here, but the 2nd hit of rekka can jail and still be -7 on block. Tested against Mileena's roll and Reptile's dash. Neither punished, while I couldn't find any execution to not get punished by Lao

Edit: Video of Reptile failing to punish as a reversal

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
I will honestly play Alien if I can jail these.
Do you think that it's something that'll stick around, if another patch were to hit?

As someone who had explored Tarkatan for the first few days, and i'm sure others will agree with me, the character does not need these rekkas, at all. Jump 1(probably the best in the game now), standing 2 and EX DB2 imo are good enough to make the variation worth picking.

Making everything, including sub 20 frame 50/50 starters -4, is crazy to me. Seems like a little too much.

With the possibility of one more patch looming, to balance any of the DLC characters, I don't feel comfortable playing this character.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Been playing this for a week and I've mentioned it in another thread already, but yeah there's no real risk. I literally pick a string or 50/50 and do rekkas.

Tweedy

Noob
So let me get this straight...

They nerfed the character that did this before into complete oblivion and gave it to the newest character in kp2?

This is the most awful power creep I have ever seen in anything ever.
Don't have it straight, quite.

These rekkas are a bit different. Just a bit better tbh, with some execution and some digging. At the surface they're nothing like Tanya's. I'm sure they didn't intend for them to be this strong. I mean, they did release several characters at once. Balancing isn't easy.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Just bought the kp2 last Friday and spent the weekend playing Tarkatan. Just seen Toronto Top Tiers and seen some Alien action. The variation is going to cause some trouble and is fun to play. Nothing but a big guessing game with every string. I'm loving it!

The Highlander

There can be only one
"Yo lets give Tremor's up rock (but with like even more hitstun) to Sektor, and you know what? That Tanya is annoying but lets give her safe rekka pressure to alien. Oh, except he gets a hard knockdown 50/50 at the end of it. Yea that about balances things up."