What's new

Competetive needs to add the special abilities!

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
You tend to be happier with fewer choices. Competitively in MKX, very few had the time/desire to break down most variations.

Doesn't completely ensure balance, but I would guess that more competitive players would prefer the MK9/Injustice style where there is less volume and it's more about honing your fewer options.

A single move can drastically alter a match-up. I don't believe most players want that many variables, personally.
Seriously, go look at Ivy's slide ability. The whole character becomes 100% different if she has that. 50/50's all over the place.

The argument that I should be able to use all the moves in the video game in normal matches? There's an argument? Agree to disagree
Look at USFIV. That game literally has a variation select built into the character select just like MKX does......except it is *banned* in competitive play outside of the occasional edition select side tournament.

Developer wishes are not the be all end all obviously (Smash anyone?), but there isn't even a debate onto what their intentions were here because of the inclusion of competitive mode.

You want to go organize a tournament that allows for abilities? Be my guest. Just don't expect most of the FGC to adopt it for the main format.

You tend to be happier with fewer choices. Competitively in MKX, very few had the time/desire to break down most variations.

Doesn't completely ensure balance, but I would guess that more competitive players would prefer the MK9/Injustice style where there is less volume and it's more about honing your fewer options.

A single move can drastically alter a match-up. I don't believe most players want that many variables, personally.
Lol this is a total bill. Show me one post from before this one where anyone complained about MKX having too many options. If there are people who complained they were the minority by a large margin. In fact, in all my MKX time I actually remember exactly 1 thread where someone suggested that they would've liked 2 variations instead of 3. This is just a bit of revisionist history to avoid admitting that the gear system is a just a watered down, money grabbing, super-unbalanced, version of variations.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Look at USFIV. That game literally has a variation select built into the character select just like MKX does......except it is *banned* in competitive play outside of the occasional edition select side tournament.

Developer wishes are not the be all end all obviously (Smash anyone?), but there isn't even a debate onto what their intentions were here because of the inclusion of competitive mode.

You want to go organize a tournament that allows for abilities? Be my guest. Just don't expect most of the FGC to adopt it for the main format.
Why are you changing what my point was? I wasn't saying gear moves were balanced or that tournaments should implement them as they are. I said that it is a poorly implemented feature that cuts a lot of the content in the game away from people. And again saying "oh half of these moves are broken" doesn't mean they had to be made broken.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
They didn't make them available...in *competitive mode*.

As for your other argument:

NRS designs games as much for the casual player, if not more, then for the competitive. The game is built around the story and having a good time with your friends, which is why its loaded with a huge amount of content...but most of that was never intended for a competitive mindset.
I made two post. To which are you referring?
Yes, there are far more casual players than competitive players. The arguments you naysayers are merely speculative and come across as if those whom disagree with those arguments are ignorant to strategic marketing or seller's intent.

Though the game is VERY fun, there are elements that were lazily put together and even overlooked. The amount of content a game has doesn't necessarily justify its purchase. It's the substance of that content. The bottomline for NRS is making money. That's why there is a two year turn around for its titles with a decrease in support for the previous upon the reveal of the next. So to insist that casual players are the primary concern for NRS is a bit absurd. Especially in such a competitive market. Casual players aren't committed to brand loyalty. And the support given to competitive players is another form of marketing. Why else would they say "your buying of this thing or character adds to the prize pool for tournaments"? There is PLENTY of money at NRS to do without the bought support of casual players for competitive play. Competitive players SHOWCASE their characters at their best. Doesn't it make sense for them to grant competitive players the opportunity to showcase the full extent of their properties' abilities?

Why are you changing what my point was? I wasn't saying gear moves were balanced or that tournaments should implement them as they are. I said that it is a poorly implemented feature that cuts a lot of the content in the game away from people. And again saying "oh half of these moves are broken" doesn't mean they had to be made broken.
Sorry, misread your point.

Again, to this point I say:

How? The point of the abilities just falls into the category of something like Heroes and heralds modifiers in MVC3, or the kombat codes. Its not meant to be balanced or competitive. Its meant to be fun.

If NRS had to keep competition in mind it would have narrowed their entire design focus. By cutting them out of competition it let them go completely nuts and off the wall.

IE: compeitive players get pure competition, people who play for fun get even crazier shenanigans.

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

kcd117

Noob
The abilities in this game are like omega mode SFIV. Some of them are just impossible to balance properly, they would break the game. This is the most balanced nrs title to date at launch, adding all these potentially broken moves to the current meta would probably ruin it, and I really wouldn't like to see that happening. I believe we are like 2 patches away of having an outstandingly balanced game, there is absolutely no need to add those abilities rn imo. If some characters turn out to be really bad, then it would make sense to move some gear abilities that could help in the areas they are lacking to their main moveset, but as fun as it would be to have some of these moves, I wouldn't trade a balanced game for that.

omooba

fear the moobs
Please let's just look at facts. The only version of mkx who's balance might be better than injustice (as far as we can tell with the game so far) is the last patch. so the question you should be asking yourself is would you sacrifice character variations for balance... HELL THE FUCK YEAH. shit i would throw whole characters out the game for balance

I made two post. To which are you referring?
Yes, there are far more casual players than competitive players. The arguments you naysayers are merely speculative and come across as if those whom disagree with those arguments are ignorant to strategic marketing or seller's intent.

Though the game is VERY fun, there are elements that were lazily put together and even overlooked. The amount of content a game has doesn't necessarily justify its purchase. It's the substance of that content. The bottomline for NRS is making money. That's why there is a two year turn around for its titles with a decrease in support for the previous upon the reveal of the next. So to insist that casual players are the primary concern for NRS is a bit absurd. Especially in such a competitive market. Casual players aren't committed to brand loyalty. And the support given to competitive players is another form of marketing. Why else would they say "your buying of this thing or character adds to the prize pool for tournaments"? There is PLENTY of money at NRS to do without the bought support of casual players for competitive play. Competitive players SHOWCASE their characters at their best. Doesn't it make sense for them to grant competitive players the opportunity to showcase the full extent of their properties' abilities?
No. Hell no. It makes no more sense then using the competitive market to showcase the wackiness of Kombat codes.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
1. Some are extremely broken
2. Not everyone has access to them and getting them for your main takes a good while to begin with... Let alone everyone else.
3. They are NOT like MKX's variations. Variations had different moves already set-up. In Injustice it would be like building your own variation... With characters having 5-6 abilities it would open up the possibility of at LEAST 4 different combinations.
4. It would take a lot of time for tournament players to customize their characters before playing.
5. NOPE. MHH MHHH MMMM, MMMH, MHMH.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Sorry, misread your point.

Again, to this point I say:

How? The point of the abilities just falls into the category of something like Heroes and heralds modifiers in MVC3, or the kombat codes. Its not meant to be balanced or competitive. Its meant to be fun.

If NRS had to keep competition in mind it would have narrowed their entire design focus. By cutting them out of competition it let them go completely nuts and off the wall.

IE: compeitive players get pure competition, people who play for fun get even crazier shenanigans.

I don't see how this is a bad thing.
I bet the people who play for fun AND have all the gear moves AND use these gear moves are in an even bigger minority than the competitive crowd. Where with MKX variations are available from the start and provide so many options for ALL crowds. I love the first Injustice and I'm trying to like this game, but all I can see is "man base moveset Red Hood (as an example) looks so bland and boring without all the cool shit they showed off in the trailer and streams"

gam224

The world's least hype player
I love how everyone is talking about rush down characters w/ decent weaknesses. No one thinks about the effect gear will have with someone like batman who would have a 2 hitting projectile and homing bats thanks to gear.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Fuck that.
I played against a Black Adam with his gear on
As if fighting him wasn't hard enough already..
Giving him multiple projectiles and divekicks....
Nah I'm good. Keep that shit in player mode

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
No, some gear moves need to be added to a character's regular move-set. Gear moves should ONLY replace existing moves with slight variations, for example, Blue Beetle can change his projectile to a different one. That's a gear move. But air-mandible strike/ invisibility/ should just be regular moves. If you added them to BB's move set he wouldn't be overpowered or even that much stronger as a result.

Gear moves are this games version of variations but they are such a cheap and obvious money grab that it kind of makes me not want to play this game out of principle.

MKX gave each character 3 variations out the gate. Each character was complete and had to be balanced in their own variation. It was amazing. No stupid RNG grinding, no OP as hell gear moves, no stupid unbalanced player matches where one player has access to moves that the other player doesn't.

If this is the future of NRS games then they can count me out, not that they'll miss me now that people are spending real money just to upgrade their characters to level 20 and get costumes and shaders because grinding is random and unfun.
How is it a money grab? There is unloveable content in the game which can be unlocked by playing the game. There's no need to spend extra money to unlock stuff just enjoy the game and more will come your way.

And to the main topic of discussion, no extra abilities have no place in competitive mode. There are a few reasons for this.
1. This game is still being figured out. We have had Combo Breaker. That's it. Which made a lot of people stop talking about Deadshot when the top 8 wasn't full of him, now it's all Black Adam. We also saw crazy breath setups with Atro. Point being the meta is still shifting, let's play the balance they gave until it is a bit more developed before we start making side rules to "help" characters.

2. I would say most of the abilities are busted. Some of them are really cool, but come on. The characters in this game are really strong as is and it's a wonder that the game is as balanced as it is. You can pick most of the cast and you didn't get a "bad pick", they might not be black Adam but they can win. Unless it's Swampy, they did you wrong boi.

3. The financial burden it puts on TOs is way unfair. I don't know how active y'all's scene is, but for me there have been 3 tournaments since release in my metro. That means that after they bought x amount of copies a month ago and now they are looking to get dlc for setups; would it really be fair to make them have to force unlock everything with cash? Which I'm not even sure how you do that, just keep buying source boxes I guess.
And mentioned before, the time man.

The abilities are fun to play with and they add a layer to the game that could be explored later in the game's life for competitive play, but not a month in. Most people don't even know all the frame data for their character, they need lab time not more moves.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Maybe the solution is to wait a good while and see how the majors turn out over the following 6 months or so and then adjust from there. By that I mean....maybe give Brainiac that spear move that still requires meter to do any significant damage as part of his base kit, just as an example.

I don't know what the solution is, but there's just a lot of cool shit in this game that will never see the light of day, and that does suck.