What's new

Closed Beta Jade Discussion

Espio

Kokomo
Her best easy punish is 4,3, amplified shadow kick for 20% ish. Least effort for most reward unless there's something else mid screen of note I missed in her base moveset.

Also cool is that forward 4 is safe on block and goes over low pokes so I started using it on people mashing pokes and it's pretty satisfying as a check to that abuse.

What I like about her ground glaive is that after doing it from full screen you can send a low blast following behind it extremely quickly, it's dope in terms of zoning.

I'm currently using pole vault, low projectile and air glaive for my load out.

Her butterfly spin has a lot of visual flare and what not, it being -5 always wouldn't be a terrible idea since it doesn't lead to combo unless in the corner so it's not like it would be unfair or "too good" and would be nice to tag on the end of her less safe strings.

Not on this website though. I don't know american Jade mains that much. I know that on here, at one point everyone dropped her because she was that bad.

I don't want to see that happen again. She's the weakest in the beta right now according to many.
When was that because I never dropped Jade from prior to my arrival till the end of the game's life and I've been here since 2011. I used her at every offline event I went to for the game and even after we all moved on to the next NRS game.

She seems to be extremely well liked by quite a few people in the camp as well, she's played/featured often in the Kombat Kasts so hopefully she will finally get her due.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I think what they need to do to make her good as intended is to make her ranged normals faster and safer. Then she will be a decent midrange character. I don't mind the lack of damage midscreen, but that coupled with unsafe strings and slow normals does nothing. She should at least be low risk if she's gonna be low reward.

Espio

Kokomo
You were divided between her and some other characters such as Stryker.
I remember you telling me that while you think Jade is nice, she's not your main but you'll play her anyway.
I used her when I went to offline tournaments, a simple my mistake would do sir :/.

I think what they need to do to make her good as intended is to make her ranged normals faster and safer. Then she will be a decent midrange character. I don't mind the lack of damage midscreen, but that coupled with unsafe strings and slow normals does nothing. She should at least be low risk if she's gonna be low reward.
Sounds logical/sensible.

I'd love to go on a long rant. But I'm just gonna keep it short.

Jade excels at counter zoning, and only with the right set up. That's it. Her neutral is okay at best. She has range. But nothing else to really speak of. She can mix. But with her low damage output and no midscreen combos to speak of, her mix falls short compared to the rest of the cast. She can poke all day. But it means nothing when so far the rest of the cast can also poke and get good damage to boot. It's like Jade is playing a whole nother game. And NOT in a good way. In comparison to everyone else, it's like that made absolutely sure she wasn't even the least bit broken. And I believe because of that they pre-nerfed her design. She's definitely not garbage. But I honestly feel like I really have to work in comparison to everyone else.

JDM

Noob
It's -12. It's just super weird not only to punish but even to counter poke. I saw Sonic Fox punished it tho.
It feels -4ish at worst. It's gotta be extremely weird timing.

That said I think Jade is extremely good and only people who are smart are going to be able to shine with her. She has flaws but her strengths are great.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I'd love to go on a long rant. But I'm just gonna keep it short.

Jade excels at counter zoning, and only with the right set up. That's it. Her neutral is okay at best. She has range. But nothing else to really speak of. She can mix. But with her low damage output and no midscreen combos to speak of, her mix falls short compared to the rest of the cast. She can poke all day. But it means nothing when so far the rest of the cast can also poke and get good damage to boot. It's like Jade is playing a whole nother game. And NOT in a good way. In comparison to everyone else, it's like that made absolutely sure she wasn't even the least bit broken. And I believe because of that they pre-nerfed her design. She's definitely not garbage. But I honestly feel like I really have to work in comparison to everyone else.
This is the truest post in this thread. Anyone believing otherwise is just suffering from the delusions of having their favorite character back in the game. BigD even referred to her as a dumpster fire on his stream. Please.

gitblame

Noob
It feels -4ish at worst. It's gotta be extremely weird timing.

That said I think Jade is extremely good and only people who are smart are going to be able to shine with her. She has flaws but her strengths are great.
The more I play her the more I can agree. Like after yesterday I haven't felt once that character is the one that limits my gameplan. All loses were my fault because I got outspaced, haven't reacted well with buttons and anti airs, dropped some punishes and corner combos. Like the only real gripes I have with her are her Krushing Blows - they seem mostly super unpractical. Also F2 could use better hitbox. It's literally big slow swing.

Alright so I've finished up my first session and hit about 200 games with Jade now. Started at a huge deficit while learning but then got to a 50 50 ratio. Here are some of my thoughts.

Loadout
I narrowed it down to these three.
Low spark
Air glaive
Open
I couldn't get run cancelling to work in my favor for pressure, but I thought more about using it as a simple mobility tool in neutral and it was pretty good.
Reflect is cool but immunity sets the pace better
Up glaive was alright but d2 required a lot less preparation.
String extension s felt gimmicky except for the enhanced b4. The rest seemed to put you in more harms way.
Pole vault by itself was fun to mind game with the strings against counter pokes.
Low pole I didn't test much.
The teleport move seemed ok but I just didn't know when i want to use it

Overall
She has huge control in zoning game and forces players to fight her up close to gain advantage. Her keep out is very strong but you do have to take risks depending on the player. If they are patient and walk a lot you have to use her shadow kick to control their walking. Which after thinking about it makes sense the way her crushing blow works. Her d2 is godlike it can be used as a poke tool with it's horizontal range. Her jump attacks feels weak but with air glaive she has strong aerial control of herself.

Against zoning
I think she excels here. So far you can react to projectiles with her shield like a Dodge move except you are projectile immune after. It's better to use if you get a knockdown or react with it. Using it in neutral is a bad idea unless you have built enough fear into them. Her low spark is very dominant since it knocks down and also pretty fast. Right now she is pretty good in the air with glaives since she can change her timing twice with enhance or not. Her regular glaive got little use from me except when I needed to change up my timing on zoning. Being able to side switch with shadow kick is extremely valuable and it has the safety gimmick like scorpion where you can hold your meter or not.

Mid-range
I think this is her most important position to learn. It pretty much makes or breaks your games with her. If you Excel here you will be able to open up her other opportunities once players get desperate. A mistake I was making first was always trying to stay Max distance, but the more I played her the more I realized in and out of jump distance is key. So let's take care of jumping first. D2 kills just about everything it even clips empty jumps. If you are a little too far shadow kick hits really well against air. Her low projectiles are really strong here much like a hadoken in street fighter 2. If you are good with it they have to block them and walk in. Best case they start jumping and you anti air with her. End most combos with shadow kick so you can dictate what side you want to be on as well. She needs walk back space. Her d4 is really good like scorpion, it kind of stuns them as well. The only legit thing is to shadow kick though outside of corner which is not safe, but I believe it's a frame trap if they try any action. Once they start defending against that then you can start using low spark or overhead at that range.

Up close
Her universal moves seem good enough to get her out of trouble. I think B3 is a really good button without commiting to the string, it does a tremendous amount of stuns on hit and is pretty safe. If you use it as well as the string you can make space and steal turns with it. Great to use if you land a D1 or if they use a safe negative move against you since it is a mid. I didn't like b1 even though a lot of people here seem to like it. 212 and staggers were pretty good with her. 124 was good to deal with d4 spam when you need that damage. Her f4 crushes lows really well and it's extremely easy to confirm into the finish as well. B2 is kinda a trap as it's a high. But you can use it similarly to the shadow kick to control back walk etc. I did t test d3 enough but it looked generic enough. Her d4 also low profiles a lot of wake ups and leaves you really plus. She isn't a combo machine you don't lose much using this to pressure wake up.

High risk characters like scorpion were tough at first but if you play consistently they have no choice but to teleport to try and get a knockdown down and set up their cancel pressure.

Honestly I just wish she had more crushing blows that worked with my playstyle. The kick is cool but I believe you have to non enhance for it to trigger so you lose a lot of initial damage and position. It definitely felt tough to make come back with her compared to the others but I think she should stay ahead. Often times I'd get hit by some huge combos and then notice my life bar was equal. I'm sure I got away with plenty of stuff but I have to say she felt good. I was creating a good amount of rage. As far as exciting, I honestly had more fun with her then running train with Kabal and scorpion. Playing well with Jade is consistency not whether or not your opponent can block right. So in that regard I enjoyed her thoroughly.

kcd117

Noob
She is solid, just missing some dmg.

I don’t think Kabal, Baraka and misery blade are staying the way they are in the beta when the game comes out and I would rather Jade and Skarlet to be the standards here.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Alright so I've finished up my first session and hit about 200 games with Jade now. Started at a huge deficit while learning but then got to a 50 50 ratio. Here are some of my thoughts.

Loadout
I narrowed it down to these three.
Low spark
Air glaive
Open
I couldn't get run cancelling to work in my favor for pressure, but I thought more about using it as a simple mobility tool in neutral and it was pretty good.
Reflect is cool but immunity sets the pace better
Up glaive was alright but d2 required a lot less preparation.
String extension s felt gimmicky except for the enhanced b4. The rest seemed to put you in more harms way.
Pole vault by itself was fun to mind game with the strings against counter pokes.
Low pole I didn't test much.
The teleport move seemed ok but I just didn't know when i want to use it
Teleport is ok, but I don't think it's worth losing low projectile. I really think that's her best tool. But it was kinda like shadow kick at the end of strings (will jade enhance it or not?) except it's a low or a nothing and teleport into low.

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
Where is the damage? Jesus Christ I can beat some people but thats with 15 seconds left on the clock.. it takes forever.. and requires so many reads. Her regular projectile is probably the worst in the game. Requiring the whole string to be input for the second hit to come out is bonkers. Why bring Jade back just to make her low tier, again. Its an insult

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Where is the damage? Jesus Christ I can beat some people but thats with 15 seconds left on the clock.. it takes forever.. and requires so many reads. Her regular projectile is probably the worst in the game. Requiring the whole string to be input for the second hit to come out is bonkers. Why bring Jade back just to make her low tier, again. Its an insult
"It's fine"

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
What? It’s 10f lol.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I was just feeling salty. The problem isn't that it's "too slow" it's more that it just gets beat or trades with a lot of things. Both Scarlet and Scorpion have normals that match the range, so it isn't the dominant space controller it's chalked up to be. There are a lot of long range lows as well that beat it clean since it's a high.

I just find that a lot of Jade's weaknesses are being played off as "it's okay, she's a space control character." That makes sense if the space control is really strong, but if 2 out of 4 other characters in the beta can rival it with normals while still having plenty of other tools, that's a problem.

I've been pretty down on Jade so I'll say this, her D2 is second to none, I've never had an easier time AAing. Her long range zoning is solid (so long as you equip jump razor) , and her sweep is fantastic. I think she just needs a few tweaks to get where she needs to be, and I hope she gets them.