What's new

Closed Beta Jade Discussion

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
Merr mortals need some kind of buff.. least some usable punish or crushing blow in mid screen that doesn't involve whiffing the first hit (dumb). If you connect two f2, 1's in a row or maybe every third one I would like a crushing blows that pops up.

I also know the fatal blow is a call back to the mk9 special but it sucks. Can see it coming a mile away especially when most everybody is just blocking high anyways. Maybe rework to a low or be able to parry and then cancel to guaranteed fatal blow.. something better for the fatal blow

Reactions: jmt

jmt

Noob
Merr mortals need some kind of buff.. least some usable punish or crushing blow in mid screen that doesn't involve whiffing the first hit (dumb). If you connect two f2, 1's in a row or maybe every third one I would like a crushing blows that pops up.

I also know the fatal blow is a call back to the mk9 special but it sucks. Can see it coming a mile away especially when most everybody is just blocking high anyways. Maybe rework to a low or be able to parry and then cancel to guaranteed fatal blow.. something better for the fatal blow
agreed 100%

Espio

Kokomo
Some Jade sets from the beta in the mirror and versus a Kabal player. Not saying it's top quality, but check it out and subscribe cause I will be posting a lot of Jade things on release if you want. *Shameless plug is shameless*

Just out of curiosity how many games did y'all get in, I only got 300+ with Jade but was using most of the cast.

So the main concerns that are voiced so far are these.

Damage - how much more is warranted if any buff is made? Is it fair to have someone lose lots of health and have similar damage ratios up close?

Close range - she has a D1, she has an okish 11f mid, and good lows. What "tool" is she lacking up close.

Boring play - I think it is a player expectation thing here. She fits a certain archetype that some like and some don't. Just like any character, people will like her or not I do not see this as a strong concern. Also, the higher level you go with a control character, the more "boring" they are in any game.

I like specifics and there is a small enough set of experiences right now to discuss them. Instead of broad sweeping statements of good and bad, let's begin some science.

gitblame

Noob
If I would touch her damage in any way, I would probably buff a little BF2 damage so her midscreen punish would hurt a little more. But I don't think she really needs a damage buff. It really depends what moves her preset variations will have. Midscreen with run and extended strings she gets reasonable B2 punishes.

Also all her damage is meterless. When I played her in beta I only used meter when I wanted to switch positions with ex shadow kick or sometimes I did B2 into ex pole vault because it worked. I always had meter for waking up or using interactables. That can be huge for a defensive monster like her. I can't wait to lab a little her BF1 ex as combo ender. Since she keeps her oponnents standing in her midscreen combos, BF1 ex can be nasty restand option. Frame data claimed it was +9.

Last edited:
It looks like it recovers hella fast and launches higher it looks like on hit for an easy combo, that's nice I knew she was going to get a midscreen combos after the beta.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
What's the startup on that?
Slow as it was in the beta I imagine (23 frames I think? I should have screen grabbed the move list).

So clutch that she has a way of generating mid-screen damage though. Anything to help even up the damage disparity we saw in the beta is worth celebrating!

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
She can combo now midscreen, i dont wanna hear about frames now. You jade downplayers looking more suspect by the second.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Slow as it was in the beta I imagine (23 frames I think? I should have screen grabbed the move list).

So clutch that she has a way of generating mid-screen damage though. Anything to help even up the damage disparity we saw in the beta is worth celebrating!
On a move that people can see coming from a mile.
Not to sound like a downer or anything but.
Pray tell how will you launch anyone with a fully reactable overhead?
Is there anything that sets it up? Because as far as I've seen, there isn't.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I actually had decent luck when equipped with the staff sweep and low projectile. Did a lot of cheesy meaty sweeping just out of range of the universal wake-up attacks. When people started blocking it, I'd mix in the OH. When people started blocking that, I'd OH into low projectile.

Now, you are right. It's slow as balls and as players see it more and explore the other wake up options (nobody was rolling in the beta), it's going to lose power. But, I'm not just encouraged by the move itself (although that is awesome). It's that it shows NRS was listening to feedback and taking it to heart. I doubt this is the only improvement we'll see for Jade.

Espio

Kokomo
On a move that people can see coming from a mile.
Not to sound like a downer or anything but.
Pray tell how will you launch anyone with a fully reactable overhead?
Is there anything that sets it up? Because as far as I've seen, there isn't.
She has a great down 4, sweep, Forward 3 to condition people to block low. I don't plan on using overhead much, but conditioning is vital/key. Train people with all these safe lows then tag them with a full combo overhead for mind games. You can also just throw or do staggers so the opponent never gets too comfortable with your approach.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Giving her a launcher off her overhead was the best thing they could do. She doesn't need to do big damage midscreen. She just needs to do some, looks like close to 250-300 with amplified moves. It will come from conditioning and not mix-ups. It complements her midscreen space control style. It's all I wanted :D

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Yep I have a feeling Jade has more Kombo potential midscreen than we seen in the beta. After seeing the Kombat Kast today her double overhead pole strikes allows a follow-up combo.

Jade was already Uber strong at space control with very decent long range normals: F2, B2, D4, B12 and things like her Shadow Kick, pole vault gave her great neutral the only thing she really lacked was midscreen combo which is now good.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She has a great down 4, sweep, Forward 3 to condition people to block low. I don't plan on using overhead much, but conditioning is vital/key. Train people with all these safe lows then tag them with a full combo overhead for mind games. You can also just throw or do staggers so the opponent never gets too comfortable with your approach.
Fair enough. We'll see how it goes.