What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
2) is the superman punch of Jax duckable? Punishable by uppercut?
yes it is duckable good sir.

3) blocked elbow smash (du4); punishable? or is there a small window I can knock him out of it? I hate the block stagger
you can d4 him out of it if you time it right when he's executing elbow smash. i dunno about a block follow-up though.

EDIT: with the elbow smash, if you don't get him with your d4 poke he'll probably nail you since it's an overhead. couldn't tell you what the safer option is....

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I was wondering what is the first move you guys do at the beginning of the game.. i usually go for ex slowfb or sweep....

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I usually start off with EN Forceball, B+1, Jump Back Kick, or straight up crouch blocking and waiting for them to do something.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
How do you guys deal with kabal? Played a good one earlier and couldn't get past his mix up zoning. Whats the best way to get out of the block string too?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Blocked saw is a forceball he's gonna have to respect, so that's basically a free in, unless he has meter.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Quick question about lao match up. If I land a 1,2,B1 can I dash in and 1,2 or just B1 and beat out the startup of a normal hat spin? I have nobody to test it with but it seems like reptile has enough time to do that after the long stun from the B1. I know he can jump before my 1,2 comes out which leads to some guessing but it's another option. Anyone have any insight on this?

Quick question about lao match up. If I land a 1,2,B1 can I dash in and 1,2 or just B1 and beat out the startup of a normal hat spin? I have nobody to test it with but it seems like reptile has enough time to do that after the long stun from the B1. I know he can jump before my 1,2 comes out which leads to some guessing but it's another option. Anyone have any insight on this?
look to see how they act before the stun caused by b +1 :D b +1 does not cause the stagger enough to block a string safe, sure you take a spin . . .

try to walk and do d+4 xx acid hand , this respect when try something else..

EX dash elbow is good cause to fear and then try other mixups..

the key to kill Kung Lao : BAIT

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Yeah I know how to bait his shit. I was just brainstorming and couldn't test to see if the stagger was long enough to get in a safe string. Thanks for the info.

Oh but what about in the corner? If it hits in the corner I dont have to close the distance again and 1,2,B1 recovers faster than a raw B1. Is it possible to stuff hat spins in that situation?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
In the corner 12b1 if b1 hits you could continue to do this combo infinite until they decide to block low. So if it hits once whatever you choose to follow it up with Lao shouldn't be able to interrupt.

I'll bring my Xbox copy thursday, we'll test it out.

THTB

You can't continue to 12b1. The hit advantage is not enough to catch them before they can crouch under with another 12b1.

Nice to have a girlfriend that supports MK!
Can't go wrong with that. good for you man.

Anyway, since the dash thread got derailed to hell, I'll ask in this thread. Some people seem to think Mileena gives Reptile problems and it just doesn't seem like she should be. What does Mileena have in this matchup that is trpuble for Reptile. All feedback is welcome, but I'm really looking to see what THTB thinks since he was the one I was responding to in the dash thread.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
It is to my understanding that a blocked mileena roll can be punished with 1xxFFB 32xxSFB 321xx any ender, but what can punish the teleport down kick or is it safe on block

THTB

Mileena's sais are quick enough on startup and recovery to make it difficult for Reptile to get anything on screen or to even elbow in without taking a hit or jump and risking eating an air sai. And even without using them, if she chooses to, she can wait for the reaction telekick to any of Reptile's projectiles since they are very slow on startup, resulting in a safejump scenario. Those two things aside, her normals outclass Reptile's in terms of the footsies game. Vs a good Mileena, it's pretty uphill and I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes Reptile's worst matchup. She's much better than people give credit for.

About teleport, it is punishable by anything if you stand block it, but she can make it difficult to punish her since she can sai anytime before she touches the ground and throw off your timing for optimal punishes. EX teleport, I'm pretty sure is 100% safe.

Somberness

Lights
It actually is not safe at all, fast uppercuts and pokes with good range can catch it but actually most players using her make it more unsafe than it is. The key to making it more safe is to delay the sai throw a bit so it will stop some attempts at a punish. Still, it should not be done every single time. Most players I see cancel into sai before the teleport even hits so one can easily just duck it. And by doing that, you don't even get a safe jump with a regular teleport when it does land because you never bothered to check if it hit or not.

Anyway, wouldn't roll under forceball be more of a problem than teleport?

Somberness

Lights
At the beginning and the end of the roll animation you can get hit but the rest you will pass under. And the ball has to have left Reptile's hands or else it will hit as well.

edit: Actually I'm not sure what makes it go under... might be a question for Tom Brady.
edit2: After 10 minutes of testing, I can conclude it is completely random. Both fast and slow forceballs will miss but there is no clear pattern. My only guess is either the forceball or roll hitbox is fluctuating during their movement. Why would they do that?

RapZiLLa54

Her EX teleport is 100% safe but most of the time its followed by a sai in which you can uppercut her (yes even with reptiles uppercut). Her regular teleport is punished by 32-fball-32fball-321 slide or whatever you wish.

Most Milennas love to the teleport as a wake up which is baited by EX Slowball. If she decides to not teleport release quickly so she can't sai your charging ball and elbow dash block/ or dash block your way up. If she chooses to teleport when you are in front of the ex slow ball she will hit it.

Her sonic roll isn't punished by a full combo for some reason but the 32 fball- 32 fball- 321 whatever works just fine.

I still can't for the life of me figure out which forceball hits her sonic roll though. It seems too inconsistent. Sometimes a regular ball catches sometimes it doesn't, sometimes an ex ball catches her sometimes it doesn't.

Also sonic ball hits high but she can link it with a down poke I believe so her mixup gm is deadly.

RapZiLLa54

Do you get a safe jump with EX Acid Spit or is this move just not worth the meter in most situations?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
It isn't worth the meter unless you REALLY need to put them into a situation where they can't do a wakeup attack.

And Mileena's mixup is Up 4 (Overhead) and Back 3 xx Roll (Low).

Both net her full combos.

Also watch out for Back 3 xx EN Roll, it hits low then overhead. That's a BITCH to block.