What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
I just wish the ball didn't deactivate itself once it passes the opponent. I've had a few situations where an opponent has jumped over the ball to which I'd welcome him with an uppercut sending him back landing on the ball and he just goes right through it :(
its sad yea. It could be a better trap tool if this were the case

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Something else I like to do is using 3 whiffed elbow dashes out of 321 combo to manipulate the opponents wakeup attack to fire off in the opposite direction this of course only works if the opponent is performing a wakeup attack that moves themselves across screen and doesn't have the hitbox of the attack to hit behind them so Reptile can be safe from a behind the back hitbox. When done right you are free to case them across screen with a elbow dash to punish their whiffed wake ups

or you know you can just whiff and do an early poke with D4 acid hand.. that will prevent a wakeup attack from occuring 90% of the time... just saying it works every time at the friday night casuals out in largo.

playing reptile since launch i have to say, i only use meter to get off corners or to end a match. otherwise i am fine with 39% bar free and extreme rundown zone mixup

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Reptile doesn't get much more damage for using meter tbh. He should never use meter for a combo unless he's going to finish the match.

Btw, I've forgone ending my combos with slide and just SFB or EX SFB if I have the meter. Works out sooooooooooo much better in a lot of cases. :)
Yup :). People tell now are not aware of this! and sadly still in need of more reptile practice as of basics.

reptile is not meant for Combos! at all.....reptile meant for pressure guard, Mix ups, Resets and Okizeme. Wasting ur Combos to finish it with a slide is ur dumest decision to finish reptiles combo UNLESS ur in the corner or in need to kill opponent for winning the round.

also a tip from me to anyone who plays reptile.....learn to use Fast FB in a combo instead of S so u can sometimes OKI with regular instead of EX and using/wasting meter.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
or you know you can just whiff and do an early poke with D4 acid hand.. that will prevent a wakeup attack from occuring 90% of the time... just saying it works every time at the friday night casuals out in largo.
90% ur dreaming.....cr+4 alone can interrupt like 40% of wake up attacks as over all. with the help of EX SFB it's about 70% of all the chars wake up games.
so if ur spam happy cr+4 on opponent and they get hit, that means opponents are not aware of how to block this setup or doin the wake up move wrong(ex ones mostly)....so dont be very offensive on a bias numbers man.
always be aware

it's not bias, if you are in the middle of a rundown try the poke, see how many people fall for the downblock instead of a wake up. i promise you will like the results. however, if you are king reptar over here ill be glad to do it on you too... just to solidify myself from the accused "spam happy" -i promise you wont win...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
why exactly? Isn't the untechable knockdown from the slide pretty valuable? But did you mean slowball after a 3 2 to interrupt their wakeup?

because i like to use FFB. It will travel to them and put them in hitstun if they block, where follow up is easy with a elbow dash. slowball works after 321 if your looking for them to jump or make a read on their reaction
Unlike the Subs' slides, Reptile's does not cause an untechable knockdown. With either regular or EX slow ball, you can force them to react however you want.

To me, Reptile's becoming more and more like a meter-based pressure character than anything else.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
perhaps thtb...perhaps..:cool:
but I cannot wait to get into peoples heads this weekend with :invisible: pressure I have been working on

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Pretty much Reptile vs Baraka is fairly lopsided in Reptile's favor. Reptile can just straight up outzone Baraka and easily punish everything he does.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Baraka sucks
Awesome troll is awesome.

While that's true THTB, Baraka can still keep Reptile in check with EX Blade Charge, and from outside sweep I can react easily to any incoming non-EX forceball and punish with Blade Charge before the ball comes out. Acid Spit's more difficult, but again, EX Blade Charge can take care of that. Pretty much the problem lies with the fact that the only damage Baraka can cause on Reptile is with Blade Charge atm. It's one of the reasons I think they're putting more recovery frames on blocked dash because there is literally nothing else Baraka can do. His normals are just too slow. Until that's done though, the matchup stands at about 7-3 :/

Awesome troll is awesome.

While that's true THTB, Baraka can still keep Reptile in check with EX Blade Charge, and from outside sweep I can react easily to any incoming non-EX forceball and punish with Blade Charge before the ball comes out. Acid Spit's more difficult, but again, EX Blade Charge can take care of that. Pretty much the problem lies with the fact that the only damage Baraka can cause on Reptile is with Blade Charge atm. It's one of the reasons I think they're putting more recovery frames on blocked dash because there is literally nothing else Baraka can do. His normals are just too slow. Until that's done though, the matchup stands at about 7-3 :/
Baraka does suck, though. I play him and love him and even I must admit that. The problem with your strategy is that no good Reptile player is going to try forceballing you while in range of Blade Charge. They'll block your Blade Charge, hit you with a dash, get to full screen, and start zoning. If they are dumb or if momentum is on your side, I guess you can get some free hits on them, but other than that, Baraka is just a really bad character in a lot of matchups. One suggestion, and I haven't tested this out, is that if you can read their dash or slide, start doing a Chop Chop and they'll walk right into it. You have to do it ahead of time, though, or the dash will hit you during the startup. I think the timing is probably similar to Sub-Zero dashing forward then dropping an ice clone to bait a dash. The downside is that unlike ice clone, you're in for a combo if you read wrong and Chop Chop when they're not coming in.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. :(
Also: so the 2,2,1+2,f+4,4 frame trap is not a frame trap after all? If Reptile's elbow dash can punish in between, Cyber Sub Zero's ice parry can stop it also. Maybe Liu Kang's parry too? Baraka seriously makes me sad. Yeah, let's make a character with terrible options from range and then make him slow for when he gets up close...

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
it's not bias, if you are in the middle of a rundown try the poke, see how many people fall for the downblock instead of a wake up. i promise you will like the results. however, if you are king reptar over here ill be glad to do it on you too... just to solidify myself from the accused "spam happy" -i promise you wont win...
Your stating a bias fact depending on 2 things:

1- First, i bet ur talking online
2- Not everyone is an idiot or not well fond of fighting games Especially MK9

By means, non of those are even worthy in Actual matches if u spam happy. it can be simply PUNISHED severly by a huge list that i wrote down in here before....basically most of the chars have atleast one answer to cr+4 on wake up as well the general play dead trick...so ur basing a 50/50 chance to all of a sudden a 100% that it will always punish.
Not only that, ur not backing up ur cr+4 with an EX SFB, which means ur in even more threat for EASIER answers. Not because people get tricked into cr+4 on wake up then it means everyone is an idiot. Fuzzy guard, Play dead, Safe wake up, EX wake up can punish rep severly and u will regret spam happy cr+4

I gave u my advice, whether u care bout it or not thats ur issue. though , PLEASE, dont try to prove ur self that ur correct while in Actuality the topic ur mentioning is based on complete Bias (other meaning, nonsense when it comes to Advance fighting and matches)....cr+4 is not always safe as u said on wake up. end of story.

I promise u am 100% correct

how do u fight against good shang tsung's like rabbid justice or s i g m a r?

i kept getting hit by fireballs and could not get close at all

also I noticed Mk1 rep doesn't have the chomp chomp hiss sounds when he wins

Milk

Snake eyes
Unlike the Subs' slides, Reptile's does not cause an untechable knockdown. With either regular or EX slow ball, you can force them to react however you want.

To me, Reptile's becoming more and more like a meter-based pressure character than anything else.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. He's fine meterless, he's got tools, but, to really stand out, meter is required, for like chasing people down with charged forceballs, ex elbow, etc etc.

So you just do the bnb, then end it with a SFB to follow their knockdown? I usually just end mine with ex invis, but, I like it too. What BNB do you use now?

Also, cr+4 XX Green Hand is pretty safe, but not EVERY single time. I got tagged a lot trying it.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Baraka does suck, though. I play him and love him and even I must admit that. The problem with your strategy is that no good Reptile player is going to try forceballing you while in range of Blade Charge. They'll block your Blade Charge, hit you with a dash, get to full screen, and start zoning. If they are dumb or if momentum is on your side, I guess you can get some free hits on them, but other than that, Baraka is just a really bad character in a lot of matchups. One suggestion, and I haven't tested this out, is that if you can read their dash or slide, start doing a Chop Chop and they'll walk right into it. You have to do it ahead of time, though, or the dash will hit you during the startup. I think the timing is probably similar to Sub-Zero dashing forward then dropping an ice clone to bait a dash. The downside is that unlike ice clone, you're in for a combo if you read wrong and Chop Chop when they're not coming in.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. :(
Also: so the 2,2,1+2,f+4,4 frame trap is not a frame trap after all? If Reptile's elbow dash can punish in between, Cyber Sub Zero's ice parry can stop it also. Maybe Liu Kang's parry too? Baraka seriously makes me sad. Yeah, let's make a character with terrible options from range and then make him slow for when he gets up close...
It's a frame trap, it's just when it comes to Reptile's dash, if you input the f+4 a frame late, the dash beats it. It's possible to stuff, but very difficult, like Kano's pre-hotfix upball, or KL's spin. The only 2 moves that flat out beat the frame trap are CSZ's parry and Cage's X-Ray because both of those become active on the first frame. Kang's does not.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I need some tips against Kung Lao too. He seems to be the guy who continues to give me big problems. It's just so hard to pressure him since he can go all over the place.

And I burn meter so much now it's crazy. Love doing EX slow foreball and pressuring with it. I also realized that EX acid spit is pretty good for anti-air.

I think that against Kung Lao, you have to basically be aggressive but defensive at the same time. Try to bait unsafe stuff from him, like launch a forceball to try to bait a dive kick but actually hold an EX forceball instead so he runs into it, or go in on him for oki but then suddenly take a dash back so his wakeup spin whiffs and you can punish. Kung Lao is one of those characters like Sub-Zero where if you try to go in too hard or too recklessly, he can destroy you.

EX teleport is pretty rough...you can block and hope they don't throw, or possibly, if you react fast enough, jump towards the direction of the first teleport so you'll be out of range of whatever shit is coming from the second. I dunno, I usually never had as much problems against his teleport as against Raiden's.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Hey guys, I'm looking for a sparring partner that mains reptile after being knocked out of ECT by a really good reptile that I wasn't ready for.

Anyone interested? Let me know!