What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

sLeeK

Noob
Ohh nice sleek, who did u fight from my clan mates/ friends? Triumph, or Witchdoctor or Hdcloud? ohh well, not a related question lol...but each has a different style to be honest. and EACH are very laggy as well! lol except for doctor (it's just me because i am east and they are West coast). also i must say, Triumph Kung is Really scary!

"Silly question incoming, but when is a proper time to input pokes? 2nd question we decided to use our mains and his main was KL and I main reptile of course"

thins is a very general question, can you specify more if possible? basically poke fight is all about, faster starter. so whoever has faster starter wins. though some situations might differ, like some block strings has advantages for opponent to follow up a poke after safely before u break block and preform urs!

"he was using KLs low hat mix up. Personally I have never had to deal with that before so what is the proper punishment for that mix up? Elbow dash comes to mind, but is there something better? How do you guys handle that mix up? Any feed back would be much appreciated, thanks guys."

reptile doesnt have a lot of answer unless to poke into special move~ chain (though it doesnt link), for example cr +4~ acid hand, or simply best answer is Elbow dash ofcourse!
also must be done after SUCCESSFULLY blocking the string and low hat! any hit from the low hat projectile or med hat attack (f+2) will lead to another rep of Kungs pressure.
so basically it comes down to, Successfully guessing the correct block of either f+2 med Attack. 4,2,1+2 low starter, Med attack finisher . 4,2~ low hat low starter, low finisher. 1,2,2~ low hat high low mix ups. or 1,2,2/ 1,2 ~ throw tech mix up.

so...good luck on successfully blocking.

also another note, this match is really hard online. and to be honest, i feel like it can be 5 -5. reptile can do wonders in this match as long as you correctly prevent or guess Kungs offensive mix ups.
Thanks teef you answered the poking question, all I used was cage and he went with quan chi then he went to cage and had some mirror matches. All the while he would apply block pressure then follow with some pokes then jip.

Yes it was doctor :O and I was extremely surprised at how well I played against him(thanks to you guys <3) and his lao. The first fight went to him we were both down to a pixel and each needed one more round for the win, second match I was extremely aggressive and took that match pretty quick, and the third match he completely blew me out of the water with laos mixup. So I guess I'll have to practice and make sure I guess right, damn that is nasty mix up. I live on the west so there was virtually no lag which was sweet :)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
just got knocked out in semis vs muttons quan chi.. close game but his mix up is just ridiculous and rune trap when used right is unstoppable.. any suggestions

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
No problem sleek, glad i was helpful.

Dribirut : hmm quan chi is never a problem to reptile to be honest. it's pretty much because you were un familiar with his mix ups.

All of Quan chi's mix ups are blocked low, except for u+3~ trance. Though it's frustrating, but un like cage , lui and Kung (specifically kung). Quan chi's Mix ups without trance are punishable on block. Without or with Trance link, if they are blocked, quanchi will suffer.
some note you might find interesting:

-f+1,2 : punishable on block with or without trance (high low)
-b+3,1+2. Safe on block. though You can halt his second hit by a fast special or a poke if done correctly (the 1+2) (low High)
-f+3 after block is punishable. Simply do a dash after. this is with or without trance link as well. (med)
-Rune traps is only one rep! that means you can simply jump or reverse after first rep.

he's pretty much a gamble character, so it's either it hits and rewards, or eat damage to the face...that's what makes him really not that great in general.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Hmm i found this, i think it might help anyone who has problem with Ermac with reptile? ..this is an easy match anyways for reptile...or actually can be very 5 - 5.

I was playin with Silent1 warming up with my clan before they Hit Evo. pretty much silent is a decent ermac, though he was a little rusty in those matches. As well as it's online, and the lag is HORRID lol

http://www.twitch.tv/s1lent1/b/291069182

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I'm getting back into reading this thread but I just want things to be cleared up for me lol sorry.

So if Kung is doing his low hat/overhead hat string, once you block the special, you can immediately elbow dash and punish 100%? If so I really REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I knew this 2 weeks ago.

Also, about the Ermac matchup, I can't imagine it to be anything else other than 6-4 Reptile. Ermac imo is easy to punish especially with Reptile and really the only threat is that Ermac can do high damage. I find it to be easy to just punish Ermac the entire match and assuming the match is offline, this shouldn't be too hard. I have fought really good Ermacs (KREBS!) and of course lost to them but overall I feel like Reptile has all the tools to make it a hard match for Ermac

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
You can elbow dash if you have god like reactions on a blocked low hat. I have yet to be able to do this myself, I always try but it seems I eat a point blank spin when that happens.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
i would agree it's 6 -4 rep favor offline. Though online, Ermac on pressure can be hard to counter, specially Dash frame traps bait. ..... but i guess you are correct, it's 6 -4 rep favor

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
to me online(thats all i play) ermac is probably top three easiest matchups.. something about him i really dont know makes him so easy to beat. and i kept blocking low againsrt quan chi and get getting punished.. but no sweat that quan chi was sick.. he def knew his stuff

retic

Noob
i struggle the most against block strings that give + advantage. I'm referring to the commonly used strings of Kung Lao (122, low hat), Johnny Cage (the one where he kicks with 1 leg), Liu Kang (i think that's b312 and 213) and (just a bit....thank you dash....boo to online lag) Raiden's strings THAT ARE CANCELLED INTO TELEPORT.

from what I read from the above post, I *should* be able to punish the low hat block string from kung lao with a dash or cr4 (offline)? can the same be true for the other characters I mentioned above?

thanks

Theme

Noob
So after playing against a really good Reptile player today, I decided to pick up Reptile. Yes, I still think his dash still need more recovery frames, but what the heck.

So I am having trouble finishing a bread and butter combo of his. I also have trouble starting the combo. When I do 1,2,2 into forceball, sometimes it just does the combo due to negative edge (1,2,2,1).

When the opponent is up against the wall, I can do 3,2,1, Acid Hand, 3,2,1 Acid Hand for 29% damage. Is there a few better ones? I keep dropping his combos or whiffing the last hit (his slide is so different compared to Sub Zero's) for an additional like 4%.

CitizenSnips

So after playing against a really good Reptile player today, I decided to pick up Reptile. Yes, I still think his dash still need more recovery frames, but what the heck.

So I am having trouble finishing a bread and butter combo of his. I also have trouble starting the combo. When I do 1,2,2 into forceball, sometimes it just does the combo due to negative edge (1,2,2,1).

When the opponent is up against the wall, I can do 3,2,1, Acid Hand, 3,2,1 Acid Hand for 29% damage. Is there a few better ones? I keep dropping his combos or whiffing the last hit (his slide is so different compared to Sub Zero's) for an additional like 4%.
For the wall combo do :

3, 2, 1, acid hand, 3, 2, 1, slow forceball, 3, 2, 1, enhanced fast, 3, 2, slide

And remember, the 3, 2, 1 string is almost always the better way to go. I like to throw 1, 2, 2 acid hand in there sometimes because some people seem to forget that string exists. Also ending with slide usually isn't too helpful unless they have very little health left. I like to go invisible at the end and a lot of other people like to just shoot out a slow forceball so they keep pressure as the guy gets back up

Theme

Noob
Does it has to be an EN fast force ball? Does it matter if its fast or slow, EN or not? I get those 2 mixed up during play sometimes and sometimes my EN doesnt come out.

CitizenSnips

There's a way to do it without enhanced, I think maybe just do 3, 2, fast forceball if you don't want to use meter. But I always do it with enhanced because that's the one I remember esaiest >_>

Usually it doesn't matter which forceball you send out. Usually in combos you want to do fast forceball first because of the damage scaling, but it doesn't make much of a difference

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Anyone been using D+4 xx force ball for anti air? It's a good way to get good damage off a conformed anti air rather than guessing and just doing an eh FB.

RapZiLLa54

Anyone been using D+4 xx force ball for anti air? It's a good way to get good damage off a conformed anti air rather than guessing and just doing an eh FB.
I never tried it because I always figured the ball would have to be enhanced in order to connect before they drop to the ground. 4 into exball is a nice anti air for 35% but 4 is inconsistent. Sometimes it has a huge hit box where you can catch them anywhere and then other times it completely whiffs and you get full comboed.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I haven't really tried it in a real match either. I did try online but it was hard with lag.

In order for it to work consistently you have to cancel into eh fast ball, this is btw against the training dummy jumping straight up.

D+4 has always been a solid AA for me when out of uppercut range. I don't see it get beat out that often.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
ahh i talked about this before. cr+4~ EX FB is an amazing anti air and anti jumpers.

i use it a lot! and it's completely safe on block as well....so u, it's very amazing against some certain chars as well.

Example:

Catches Kung's jumps and teleports
Mileena teleports....etc

only down under is that, this is when ur spamming for meter. so either u know wut u are doing at the right time, counter! or simply save ur meter and use standing 1~ FB anti air instead....meter is tons better for FB oki and EX elbow dash pressure/escape,punish.

RapZiLLa54

ahh i talked about this before. cr+4~ EX FB is an amazing anti air and anti jumpers.

i use it a lot! and it's completely safe on block as well....so u, it's very amazing against some certain chars as well.

Example:

Catches Kung's jumps and teleports
Mileena teleports....etc

only down under is that, this is when ur spamming for meter. so either u know wut u are doing at the right time, counter! or simply save ur meter and use standing 1~ FB anti air instead....meter is tons better for FB oki and EX elbow dash pressure/escape,punish.
Do you have to wait for the d4 to recoil before you can input the ffball or something? I played around with it last night and I couldn't get the ball out.

Teef as for the ex elbow dash pressure I know your vid says that d4>acid hand is unescapable after ex dash but I constantly have opponents jumping out, poking or ie vs Kung Lao I'll just eat a spin if I go for a d4. Am I not doing it fast enough or is this really just not advantage on block?

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
I do D4 xx Green Hand for anti-airs it combos in air and is safe if timed wrong. FB is too unreliable and can be punished if it isn't EXd and I'd rather not use meter for AA punishes. I get people jumped from my EX elbow dash as well so I just switched to uppercuts

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Do you have to wait for the d4 to recoil before you can input the ffball or something? I played around with it last night and I couldn't get the ball out.

Teef as for the ex elbow dash pressure I know your vid says that d4>acid hand is unescapable after ex dash but I constantly have opponents jumping out, poking or ie vs Kung Lao I'll just eat a spin if I go for a d4. Am I not doing it fast enough or is this really just not advantage on block?
Hey man

as for the cr+4~ FB. this is the input, d+b+4 , b+1(or2)+block
Always negative edge Footsies. for example, for cr+4~ acid hand >> d+4,b+2

as for the dash...DUUUUUDE! ur so old...they patched it from ages >_> lol.Remember? recovery time on both EX and regular dash? now you can easily escape them :S. also, cr+4~acid hand is more of a stuffer, not answer to everything lol....so it has to be escapable for sure by now, or else broken :)

The reason why Elbow ex dash is a great pressure game because, it helps u in cornor a lot! if it hit opponent, u can continue the damage, if blocked then it can lead to safe pressure against most of the cast with 3,2,1~links. due to corner, opponent wont find it easy to escape with jumps, resulting in footsie wars, hence Reptile will always out poke the war with d+3 .
another reason why i sometimes use it (for example Subzero matchup), is when i start gettin closer to the corner. As soon as i find ANY gab of footsies, i quickly link into Elbow dash so it can be guarded safely and putting reptile away from corner (example, cr+4~ Elbow Dash)

MastererBetty:

ahh....i dont think ur using cr+4~ EX FB correctly.First off, the only possible way to use fb anti air after ANY poke, is standing 1. Secondly, you can never rely on cr+4 AA for a LOT of reasons, main one being Hitbox dependable.
Third and most important reason, it STUFF a lot of Specials move with Teleport/ Jump behavior (for example, Scorpions teleports, Mileena's Teleports, Quanchi's teleport...etc). 4th and final, Safe on block as you said, and can lead to frame traps as well
You have to know, there's nothing in the game that solely relies on Only one reaction or move.....so cr+4~EX FB has it own use, and it's a great tool for sure.

RapZiLLa54

as for the dash...DUUUUUDE! ur so old...they patched it from ages >_> lol.Remember? recovery time on both EX and regular dash? now you can easily escape them :S. also, cr+4~acid hand is more of a stuffer, not answer to everything lol....so it has to be escapable for sure by now, or else broken :)

The reason why Elbow ex dash is a great pressure game because, it helps u in cornor a lot! if it hit opponent, u can continue the damage, if blocked then it can lead to safe pressure against most of the cast with 3,2,1~links. due to corner, opponent wont find it easy to escape with jumps, resulting in footsie wars, hence Reptile will always out poke the war with d+3 .
another reason why i sometimes use it (for example Subzero matchup), is when i start gettin closer to the corner. As soon as i find ANY gab of footsies, i quickly link into Elbow dash so it can be guarded safely and putting reptile away from corner (example, cr+4~ Elbow Dash)
Hahahaha as always man thanks for the reply. I just always see you mentioning the EX dash pressure and the first thing that pops in my head is the d4>acid hand followup so I was confused lol. Why is it broken for us but Scorpion essentially has the same move + advantage on block? DAMN HATERS!

I should be going to Summer Jam, look forward to meeting you guys.

shura30

Shura
i don't know if this has been discussed before
i've tested with a friend of mine

reptile can punish lao's low hat on block with both normal/ex dash
the window is very tiny but still doable