What's new

Question - Hollywood Cassie nerfs

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
To be fair Cassie was and still is pretty strong character. And some nerfs were much needed actually for the sake of this game.
NRS just did it in a worst way possible, that's my only complaint.
That was part of my point, Greninja was and still is a strong character too, he just got hit with the nerf bat harder than much stronger characters did. Getting off topic though lol.

Yep, she will still be a very good character, just handled in the worst possible way. A little bit of irritation is fine, but she'll end up being very playable even with f34 gone. 5-7% from combos in the corner and some blockstring utility gone, but that's surmountable.

On the timing of the patch, NRS dropped the ball there as well. You cannot be taken seriously as an organisation looking to make a breakthrough in the competitive scene if your approach to patch releases seemingly revolves around having limited fucks to give.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
You need to be informed about 2 things you seem to be misinformed about:

1. Patches have not cost the developers any money to implement since year 3 of the xbox 360/ps3 era. The money they are using was money that was already allocated for this games development cycle. So your point concerning this is incorrect.

2. During the ps3/360 era you could delete installed patches and revert to an older version of the game. This is no longer possible. The ps4/one downloads updates while off (system is never really off it is in a hibernation state) and connected to the internet. Most tournament systems will be used for multiple games. So if you download a patch for guilty gear, or any other game, the ps4 will install the MK update as well. Once the patch is installed it cannot be uninstalled. Deleting the game save data and re installing is not an option because this is the third patch to be released, so your options are to either play Day 0 game or the current build.
1. MS and Sony charging or lack of aside, there is still a large cost to developers in time and QA resources. This isn't free for them and my point still stands that it simply does not make business sense to appease a small group of players, as much as we would like to think we're their focus it obviously isn't the case. The alternative is to release DLC changes and game changes in separate patches? It's just not workable.

2. This is certainly a problem and have no idea how TOs can get around this. The patching system isn't built with this in mind, but it does work for the majority of consumers. I'd bet that most MK players won't even notice the changes.

From my brief knowledge of the patch, there isn't a huge amount to adapt to, though sure, re-learning corner combos isn't ideal. It is what it is and there will be more. All we can do is study up and hope the changes aren't too major.

Actually for all you cry babies League of Legends a game that even KDZ can reference to and THE most popular E-Sport of our generation when they drop a patch regardless of the timing for it they just run there professional gaming tournaments on the prior patch for 1 week or 2 and then bring the patch up to current later on. So no I don't think anyone should blame NRS for the patch timing I think you should be talking to the TO's about using the patch if you think it made that drastic of a change on character gameplay every game that I know of that has an e-sport associated doesn't drop patches based on tournaments that makes no sense considering the main player base isn't the competitive scene. They drop them and then let the tournament organizers decide what patch the tournament should or should not be played on simple as that.
It's not as simple as that. Current gen console patches / use of, or lack of use of work COMPLETELY different than a PC patch.

SZSR

Noob
NRS is likely locked into a company/publisher release schedule, not a tournament release schedule. A few million people will buy the game and they're not going to move releases off their schedule for a hundred or so.

And when's the right time? Before Toryuken = complaning. Then Combo Breaker is next week, that's more complaining. 3 tournaments starting in early June, that's more complaining. No matter what, people would have had to deal with it and NRS just has to do their job.
They actually explained this back in MK9. The patch was rolled out beforehand, probably around the time Jason was released, it then goes over to Sony and Microsoft who go through their checks of the patch (just approval from what I know), then after Sony and Microsoft approve it, they (Sony/Microsoft) roll it out on their own timetable.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
im more made that i cant use f3,4 in combos anymore because of how sweet it looked. i wish the would have just toned down the overall damage of the string instead of making it not special cancel.

Other game companies do that have major tournaments scheduled. KI doesn't do this, Dota 2 doesn't do this, for quick examples. So yes, they can (and should) be expected to release their patches at opportune times.

You think that the onus is on the tournament hosts to magically ensure that no system has the update that's being used? I'm not sure what fairy land you live in, but that's more difficult than it sounds on top of the work that goes into hosting it in the first place.

Like others have said, it's a slap in the face from NRS.

But what surprises me most is that any of you who have been here for some time now are surprised. NRS does not give much support to tournament goers - they didn't for MK9, they didn't for Injustice. They cater towards casuals because casuals are valued higher as their main source of income.

Ninja edit - NRS showing up at tournaments is the lowest amount of support they can give. They also threw in some prize money a couple times...great. These patch timings are far bigger because they influence the outcome of the tournaments directly. They also alter gameplay negatively for people who are spending significant amounts of their own money to fly to these events and support their game.

Piss poor.
Dots 2 does this all the time. Their last update occurred on the same day as some tournament matches. They just make sure its not right before ti or anything. There is never a good time to release it. If they want to release an update that they believe will make the game better sooner rather than later it is their right to. So yes I do think it is on the tournament to's to decide whether or not to use it.

I don't really understand how they rolled this out a day and a half before combo breaker when it isn't for another week...

TL;DR: there are 7 days in a week.

C9-Keiji

Noob
It's not as simple as that. Current gen console patches / use of, or lack of use of work COMPLETELY different than a PC patch.
Not necessarily, console tournaments have been played on previous patches in major tournaments before so it can be done now regardless of how much of a pain it is it happened with injustice I know for a fact so it can be done and since it can be done blame toryuken for choosing to go along with current patch, honestly if I was KDZ id be in the lab 24/7 until my flight and then take my console to the hotel to even put more time in until my matches instead of sitting on here complaining about it.

C9-Keiji

Noob
I don't really understand how they rolled this out a day and a half before combo breaker when it isn't for another week...

TL;DR: there are 7 days in a week.
I don't think there talking about combo breaker there talking about the Toryuken Tournament taking place this weekend.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Really NRS, a day and a half before a major you pull this shit?

A list of documented and undocumented nerfs, forcing only one character to relearn both their bnb and their playstyle from scratch?

On a character without any competitive tournament wins?
Look on the bright side, you could be a Kenshi main

Good luck this weekend

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Not necessarily, console tournaments have been played on previous patches in major tournaments before so it can be done now regardless of how much of a pain it is it happened with injustice I know for a fact so it can be done and since it can be done blame toryuken for choosing to go along with current patch, honestly if I was KDZ id be in the lab 24/7 until my flight and then take my console to the hotel to even put more time in until my matches instead of sitting on here complaining about it.
You don't know how the current patch system works on new gen (PS4/One). Old gen you had the option of deleting the latest patch and playing the old version of the games. Current gen, does not allow this. Once it is installed that is the only version of the game you get to play. You cannot delete it. If you delete the entire game and re-install it you play the Day 0 version. We are on patch number 3 now. On top of that most ps4 will download the patch if your system is off but still connected to the internet. So what you are saying the TO's should do is nearly impossible to do.

prospic

Noob
Kdz should be a shame for winning with superman broken stuff at evo. Good thing he can't do the same thing with cassie cage at combo breaker.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Kdz should be a shame for winning with superman broken stuff at evo. Good thing he can't do the same thing with cassie cage at combo breaker.
Please stop talking. You are making yourself look foolish.

It would be nice if NRS could give a roll out date for the next patches/characters so that players can know when this is going to effect their tournament plans.

prospic

Noob
Please stop talking. You are making yourself look foolish.

It would be nice if NRS could give a roll out date for the next patches/characters so that players can know when this is going to effect their tournament plans.
You saying superman was a good show at evo? Tell me injustice still alive. Lol

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
The scrub mentality is strong on tym. People love seeing someone's character get nerfed. It's the best option to deal with something you don't know how to deal with.
Cassie was the first character I learned and probably the one I'm best with and I'm liking these changes. Only think f34 should have stayed neutral on block, but I don't think it's a big deal. She can still reach great corner damage. 50% is crazy, I don't think 2 coin flips should end a match anyway.

Like others have said, this was pretty tame, especially since the b124 was in line with universal changes. The rest of her tools survived.

Injustice was last gen. Current gen consoles dl and install updates automatically even while off.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
You saying superman was a good show at evo? Tell me injustice still alive. Lol
I am saying that evo had many supermen in pools. Only 3 made it to top 8 and of the the 3, KDZ was the only one that placed top 3. All those other supermen that entered the tournament were beat by better players. Those better players could not beat KDZ at the time. After a while you have to give credit to the player not the character.

prospic

Noob
I am saying that evo had many supermen in pools. Only 3 made it to top 8 and of the the 3, KDZ was the only one that placed top 3. All those other supermen that entered the tournament were beat by better players. Those better players could not beat KDZ at the time. After a while you have to give credit to the player not the character.
You're right, but at the end of the day NRS putting the 10k. The plain field got to be fair for everyone.