What's new

Captain Cold Combo Thread

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
His trait is the only thing that keeps him relevant. Any CC worth their salt is going to be charging it as often as possible.

Problem is probably over half the cast has ways to punish him for trying to charge it and the only way he can safely charge it is off of a combo. With his footsie tools being pretty poor he has to be really on point to get any combos going.

He's a whole lot of work for very little payoff. When played perfectly (perfect management of trait, good use of footsies etc.) he's probably still only mid to low mid tier. His trait shenanigans aren't nearly as scary unless they are in the corner (pushblock negates a lot of the pressure elsewhere).

Edit: I misread your post. Charging to lvl 2 is often hard enough, going to lvl 3 is way too hard. Plus you risk wasting all that time on getting the trait blocked. At least with lvl 2 you can get it out off of simple combos and strings. Lvl 3 just isn't worth it.
You have a lot of options that allow you to charge your trait safely. His trait is really nothing more than Killer Frost's or Sinestro's trait and both of them were very capable characters.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You have a lot of options that allow you to charge your trait safely. His trait is really nothing more than Killer Frost's or Sinestro's trait and both of them were very capable characters.
I mean meaningfully charge it, not just tap it.

Against character's like Aquaman, Poison Ivy, Atro etc. you can get punished for trying to charge it.

Against some other characters he has more room to charge, but some characters make it pretty much impossible.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
here are some trait build combos off 1 bar

starter > DB3 MB(standing) > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F3 > B23 > B232 > trait (lvl 1 trait)

depending on how high you got opponent off the D2

D2 > B23 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F23 > DB2
or
D2 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F4 > B232 > trait
or
D2 > B23 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F4 > B232 > trait

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
I mean meaningfully charge it, not just tap it.

Against character's like Aquaman, Poison Ivy, Atro etc. you can get punished for trying to charge it.

Against some other characters he has more room to charge, but some characters make it pretty much impossible.
So after his 122 string against the characters you named, Captain Cold has an opportunity to gain one bar of his trait... SAFELY!
Aquaman's most likely wake up option would be Tentacle Strike. Captain Cold is able to Back Dash and avoid the attack.
Captain Cold can do the same thing against Poison Ivy's Vine Drill. You don't have to worry about your opponent meter burning it because they have to hit you in order to meter burn their respective moves.
Aquaman's better wake up option if Captain Cold is charging trait is his Trident Toss and that gets beat out by Captain Cold's The Wall.
Atrocitus' Blood-Nado is the only move that can really blow Captain Cold up because you can't Back Dash or use The Wall. Captain Cold's best option is to Block the wake up. EVEN THEN! Blood-Nado is -40 on Block so you can punish his wake up with Cold Blast.
If you're trying to charge your trait without getting some type of knockdown or hit advantage against characters who have great mid-screen options like the ones you named, you're playing the character wrong.

B22 has a 45 frame hit advantage and cancels into trait. 122 has a 32 frame hit advantage and cancels into trait. You have to take full advantage of all of your tools.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
here are some trait build combos off 1 bar

starter > DB3 MB(standing) > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F3 > B23 > B232 > trait (lvl 1 trait)

depending on how high you got opponent off the D2

D2 > B23 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F23 > DB2
or
D2 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F4 > B232 > trait
or
D2 > B23 > F23 > freeze > trait(hold till you see the charge animation then let go) > F4 > B232 > trait
I'll add these to the OP.

If you're trying to charge your trait without getting some type of knockdown or hit advantage against characters who have great mid-screen options like the ones you named, you're playing the character wrong.
In my post I actually said he can't charge trait safely without getting a knockdown or combo, which is exactly what you just said lol. You can kind of charge trait off of the hit advantage of F23, but why not just go for the combo at that point. Also if you read that the opponents going to wakeup no need to wall or backdash(especially against drill or from the deep). Just block and punish, you'll get even more trait that way. You can also tap trait to fake them into waking up in order to punish.

Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible to get trait in those MU's (well maybe Ivy tbh), it's just a lot harder.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
In my post I actually said he can't charge trait safely without getting a knockdown or combo, which is exactly what you just said lol. You can kind of charge trait off of the hit advantage of F23, but why not just go for the combo at that point. Also if you read that the opponents going to wakeup no need to wall or backdash(especially against drill or from the deep). Just block and punish, you'll get even more trait that way. You can also tap trait to fake them into waking up in order to punish.

Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible to get trait in those MU's (well maybe Ivy tbh), it's just a lot harder.
We're just splitting hairs but it does seem like we agree for the most part. I just wouldn't try to charge without a knockdown. I do prefer to back dash or Wall so I can keep my distance and get into my opponent's head a bit.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Good stuff lads nice find

I got new 122 optimals yo

In the corner obviously

122xx BF1 > D2xx BF1 > B232xx DB2 336.13 Dmg

1 bar
122xx BF1 > D2xx BF1 >B23xx MB BD3 > F3 > 122xx DB2
381.75 Dmg

Works on females too

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Good stuff lads nice find

I got new 122 optimals yo

In the corner obviously

122xx BF1 > D2xx BF1 > B232xx DB2 336.13 Dmg

1 bar
122xx BF1 > D2xx BF1 >B23xx MB BD3 > F3 > 122xx DB2
381.75 Dmg

Works on females too
I'm wondering if you could end the combo with cicle for a set up since the gravity is so low at the end.

so d1xxMB db3 doesn't combo by itself, but I've been using it meaty in the corner with icicle setups and it works pretty much every time. Next time around I often read a wakeup and MB f3 or block and d2 punish, depending on the mu. I get two loops almost every time and often three out of starter or MB f3, d2xxdb2, b232xxdf2b, d1xxMB db3. If they start delaying wakeup start firing two icicles, this rarely happens though for some reason.

J3--F2+3--F2+3+the wall = 319.6 % meterless
J3--F2+3--F2+3+ex big freeze--f3--b2+3+2+trait hold = 410.6% one bar
J3--F2+3--F2+3+ex big freeze--b3--f2+3+the wall = 461.9% one bar
J3--F2+3--F2+3+ex big freeze--f3--f2+3+the wall = 461.9% one bar
3+ex b3--j3--b2+3--b2+3+the wall = 460% two bars
3+ex b3--j3--b2+3--b2+3+2+trait hold= 430.0% two bars
3+ex b3--j3--f2+3--f2+3+ex big freeze+b3 = 490.1% three bars.
Midscreen on superman.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
CC seems like a really good character in this game.
Why doesn't his Trait3 get used much?
Too much time to recharge his gun. For almost each round we can charge the gun up to 2 traits. The 3rd (Cryogenic Blast) is good as an AA trait, but takes LONGER to recharge. We don't want to use it to lose other more useful traits. The Ice Aura (lvl 1) is useful against those CQC chars. The Frost Blast (lvl 2) is useful not only for the combos in middle and in corner, but also to freeze the opponents.

The better AA is the D2, which not only recharges the bars for the MB moves, but also PREVENTS any incoming diving attacks, like Supergirl's F3.

Captain cold midscreen combos I like to do. Some of those are max damage for one bar(none uses trait nor interactibles up to 444 damage) LOL:DOGE
Please skip the 36 seconds Intro LMAO.

Last edited:

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Swag, but risky. I wouldn't use it in a real match. And if you want to end it, you should end it with B232xxCharge, or B232xxIceshot (BF1).
B232 iceshot would probably b best damagewise I noticed the ice wall didn't connect at the end

Tanno

B232 iceshot would probably b best damagewise I noticed the ice wall didn't connect at the end
Of course, it wouldn't connect, because the juggle was about to hit the limit. :/

The Wall is stronger than the Iceshot damage-wise, but the Iceshot comes out faster than the Wall.

Captain Cold Trait-less compilation. By Le Me.
Mindless ranting alert.
(
FAQ about this Video.
Q: SonicFox will not fall in MB big freeze into throw. Why do You do this then?
A: Not everyone is SonicFox.
Q: But Nevera, Who will get hit by Icycle into a combo?. You will... Scrublord.
Q: But Nevera, Who in his sane mind will fall into MB df3 into throw?. Online scrubs will. Edit: (Thanks to @M.D. for correcting this horrendous typo.)
Q: But Nevera, The last combo is Incomplete.
A: I have limited time to play. Go ahead and make Your combo compilation.
)

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
What is mb bf2?

Also, the nice people that did this game though it would be op to let him do mb df3 from a combo that had frozen the opponent previously.

Then they did black adam.

What is mb bf2?

Also, the nice people that did this game though it would be op to let him do mb df3 from a combo that had frozen the opponent previously.

Then they did black adam.
A typo...It's mb df3 bullcrap special. I don't even care. LOL. It's garbage anyway.

Last edited:

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Of course, it wouldn't connect, because the juggle was about to hit the limit. :/

The Wall is stronger than the Iceshot damage-wise, but the Iceshot comes out faster than the Wall.
But if u notice I actually delay my j.i1 after I freeze them with the ice puddle so that they would take some more damage from the snowglobe but maybe it will connect if I just go straight into it

Tanno

But if u notice I actually delay my j.i1 after I freeze them with the ice puddle so that they would take some more damage from the snowglobe but maybe it will connect if I just go straight into it
I noticed that. The cross-up JI is quite risky. I often jump to the other side to continue the combo. Not risking my ass with the cross-up JIs, cuz they usually will miss.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
I noticed that. The cross-up JI is quite risky. I often jump to the other side to continue the combo. Not risking my ass with the cross-up JIs, cuz they usually will miss.

Hmm really i use it all the time to switch sides in the corner for example if a freeze and they're airborne I'll do j.1 ,112 , icecyle and they get put in the corner and it's pretty consistent only if I'm really far it won't cross up