What's new

Captain Cold Combo Thread

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Dunno, if it's known, but here. It's a 2 MB middle combo.

JI2, F23xxMB IT, JI2, F23xxMBDF, D2, 213. 402HP/40%.

Since Supes's HP is 1000, so I count this one as 100%, so 100HP = 10%.

edit: Improved 2 MB middle combo

JI2, F23xxMB IT, JI2, F23xxMBDF, D2, b232xxIW. 417HP/41%

Last edited:

Tanno

Yeah, we need to update the combo lists. 12 and D1 cancel into DB3 and MB DB3, but they do not combo. The opponent can block between the normals and the special.
My bad, bro.

12 and D1 connect just fine with Ice Trap, but the AI keeps blocking only the Ice Trap, so the 12 and D1 aren't staggeable combos. What I meant that's way faster is the B23. With B23 to connect to Ice Trap you would need to be much faster.

The 12 has 47HP DMG, but the B23 is the same as F23, meaning both have 72HP, these are quite strong. The safest would be the F23 that stagger the opponent.

:/

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I have a 1 bar corner combo that deals 382 damage with a level 1 captain cold vs a level 6 superman, both with no gear. 122 > MB Big Freeze > F4 > delayed F3 (input it slightly after F4 lands) > ji3 (not an instant air) > 3 > Cold Blast > 3 > Cold Blast > F4 should hit right here > 3 > The Wall. You can choose to use a Death-Cicle instead of The Wall for okizeme.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I have a 1 bar corner combo that deals 382 damage with a level 1 captain cold vs a level 6 superman, both with no gear. 122 > MB Big Freeze > F4 > delayed F3 (input it slightly after F4 lands) > ji3 (not an instant air) > 3 > Cold Blast > 3 > Cold Blast > F4 should hit right here > 3 > The Wall. You can choose to use a Death-Cicle instead of The Wall for okizeme.
If you go to the match options at the stage select screen, you can turn on competitive mode which will normalize the levels and eliminate gear augmentations so you can get a clear idea of damage.

My bad, bro.

12 and D1 connect just fine with Ice Trap, but the AI keeps blocking only the Ice Trap, so the 12 and D1 aren't staggeable combos. What I meant that's way faster is the B23. With B23 to connect to Ice Trap you would need to be much faster.

The 12 has 47HP DMG, but the B23 is the same as F23, meaning both have 72HP, these are quite strong. The safest would be the F23 that stagger the opponent.

:/
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Obviously, B23 and F23 are great combo starters and ideally what we should be going for. But it sounds like you're saying 12 and D1 cancel into MB DB3 for a combo. If so, is it a timing thing or what? Because I have not found any situation where 12 or D1 actually combo into that cancel.

EDIT: Obviously 12 and D1 will continue a combo in a juggle but I'm talking about in neutral. It doesn't appear to continue a combo on a grounded opponent.

Tanno

Then it might be that the 12 has either a recovery or a staggering problem. We'll need to add it for the patch. Everyone even in Discord is saying so about this. I have already ruled it out since it has low DMG and doesn't stagger the opponents for good combos.

I use the 122 as ender to give more time for the close Icicle, and then to do the MB BF to trap my opponents. I noticed that the F23, F233, B23 and B232 are no good for enders to lay the traps in the corner.

I use the 213 as a KD to give sometime for the weapon to charge. Unfortunately, it gives time only for lvl 1 charge.

D1 needs to be a bit faster. It would be an amazing combo for the hard links.

IMO, they need to do something with his lame gun spinning in the F4. If he stops the lame gun spinning, he'll have less recovery and active frames, thus opening the door for possible combos. Captain Cold isn't a pistolero like Erron Black and Deadshot. -_-

What's worse, unlike the other fighters, CC has NOTHING to start low attacks. Everything are mids and highs, therefore it makes it a bit hard to make it a true trap. -_-

edit: I'll have to mind to write that they need to give less recovery on the Big Freeze (aka BF). It's already lame that he swings his gun all the way to the back. Giving less recovery on it makes it a good staggeable weapon and keep on with the combos.

The small ice orb in the corner is already useless, because it's positioned outside of the corner, unlike the snowstorm barrier. It might be good in the middle, but in the corner...no way.

Last edited:

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Cold is able to do some incredible set ups between his trait and his ability to control space. This is why he struggles in neutral and to open people up. He's actually one of NRS's best attempts at balance to a character.

His DB3 is his low option. His strings contain a lot of highs because they're largely safe. And his D1 is already the fastest in the game. He isn't brain dead, which is exactly what a character like him needs to be.

Let's hold off on calling for changes until we've truly fleshed out his matchups. Because playing around like Cold is weak is the exact kind of thing that will get our community blacklisted faster than the Cage community in MKX.

Tanno

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Cold is able to do some incredible set ups between his trait and his ability to control space. This is why he struggles in neutral and to open people up. He's actually one of NRS's best attempts at balance to a character.

His DB3 is his low option. His strings contain a lot of highs because they're largely safe. And his D1 is already the fastest in the game. He isn't brain dead, which is exactly what a character like him needs to be.

Let's hold off on calling for changes until we've truly fleshed out his matchups. Because playing around like Cold is weak is the exact kind of thing that will get our community blacklisted faster than the Cage community in MKX.
Let's say that we agree that we disagree. OK. Let's hear what the others will have to say once they try him against the other characters later at some point..

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The thing about cold is he is supposed to struggle to get combos and open people up, because once he does he has a lot of ridiculous setups to work with. That being said there are some MUs that are incredibly hard to play because getting trait charged or getting any pressure going is hella hard. I would personally recommend learning another character or two alongside him, but that's just me.

Gamer68

Fujin!

Captain Cold kinda reminds me of Bo' Rai Cho (Dragon's Breath) from MKX -- who I also mained. They both can get you into set-ups that are hard-to-block and can take 60% of your health in one go with just a couple of bars. They are both meter reliant, have special moves that can destroy incoming projectiles, etc. But the main reason why I think they are very similar is that they can get AMAZING results at the cost of you having to actually work to get said results.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't exactly alike. In comparison, Captain Cold trades some of Bo' Rai Cho's safe pressure and 30%+ meterless combos for more screen control, counter-zoning, and set-up heavy gameplay.

So yeah, simply put; I agree with you.

Im really struggling with some of these combos

So on starter, MBdb3, 4 B3

What is the 4??

Is that saying its a small oppurtunity to charge the trait?

I see it on some other combos aswell

Thats such a small window to charge

Zoidberg747

Im really struggling with some of these combos

So on starter, MBdb3, 4 B3

What is the 4??

Is that saying its a small oppurtunity to charge the trait?

I see it on some other combos aswell

Thats such a small window to charge
You essentially just tap 4. Don't hold it at all.

It only gives you a sliver but with how important trait is to his play, you need to take as much free charge as you can get.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
You can hold it a tiny bit. If you freeze an enemy when they are in the air, you can do a DF3 special before the F3.

Zoidberg747

You can hold it a tiny bit. If you freeze an enemy when they are in the air, you can do a DF3 special before the F3.
It's very hard to hold it for the exact right amount of time, especially during tournament matches. Tapping it makes it more simple and you are less likely to screw up the combo. But if you can hold it longer then you should.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Mid screen

Starter MB BD3 4 > dash > B3 > Junp 3 > B23 > D2 > B232xx trait or special

Corner

Starter MB BD3 > DF2B > F3 > step back S3xx BF1 > 122xx DB2

Forgot Dmg but I'll add when back

Somea2V

Thread Referee
It's very hard to hold it for the exact right amount of time, especially during tournament matches. Tapping it makes it more simple and you are less likely to screw up the combo. But if you can hold it longer then you should.
And on this note, I tested the number of taps it takes to advance a level of trait. It's five for the first, eight for the second and ten for the third, totally twenty-three taps of trait to get to full charge.

Tanno

I found his optimal Corner Bnb

It's best to end this combo into 122 to give time for the Close Icicle (DF2B). If you know Tremor's Skydrop Rock in the corner game, then you know what do I mean. You can end this combo into 122xxCharge (4) to recharge the gun before he stands up again.