What's new

Capcom on Turning Down Mortal Kombat Collaboration: "SF Character in MK is not a Good Fit"

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
That makes no sense first off a 12 year old wouldn't know these characters as well as someone who actually grew up with these characters, secondly vega is no ninja. Definitely not more than sub or scorp. Hes a pretty boy right hand man who tends to get his ass kicked most of the time. Dude I'm half spanish and dont know any spanish fighters who fight like Vega lol....

Yeah disagree, animations dont define a personality. That's just an animation. Hanzo and kuai Liang actually have interesting backstories. What backstory about vega is so deep? Lol flamboyant fighter from spain, needs a mask to hide his pretty face and bison thug? Lol

Ken and Ryu were trained by the same master so it makes sense for them to have similar fighting styles, Outfits etc one has the serious, focus mentality while the other has that cocky Cage mentality but can be serious when he has to.
agreed, MK games overall invest and have more narrative regarding the characters than Street Fighter , so more, that SF V had to copy MK ideia in the last game and develop in the last minute, a story mode for its own title ..... to try to give some deep for character development, lol ! :p

Ed Boon already stated recently, that , yep, the MK story mode, is one major point that diferes MK new games from the others fighters games in the market ..... even Tekken 7 tried, but could not did a decent story mode that could compete with MK, so, MK characters have more personality than SF .....

yeah, some specific MK characters could have an one dimensional or shallow personalities, but in general, the characters in MK look more interesting to follow up than in SF :rolleyes:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
...yall care about the story in fighting games?
Of course otherwise may as well have two stick figures fighting. Lol

agreed, MK games overall invest and have more narrative regarding the characters than Street Fighter , so more, that SF V had to copy MK ideia in the last game and develop in the last minute, a story mode for its own title ..... to try to give some deep for character development, lol ! :p

Ed Boon already stated recently, that , yep, the MK story mode, is one major point that diferes MK new games from the others fighters games in the market ..... even Tekken 7 tried, but could not did a decent story mode that could compete with MK, so, MK characters have more personality than SF .....

yeah, some specific MK characters could have an one dimensional or shallow personalities, but in general, the characters in MK look more interesting to follow up than in SF :rolleyes:
Pretty much plus even before nrs redefined story in fg genre, their characters always had bios, stories, comics, outside media that was actually good unlike sf, tekken, doa etc. I always felt SF felt generic, they may have diverse characters from around the world but MK has diverse characters from around the world and MK universe in general, various other worlds, dimensions, heaven, hell etc, etc

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I mean i like the characters to have personality and cool moves but other than idc about the story. Never played a FG with a compelling plot but idk maybe the OG MK games were good there

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
That makes no sense first off a 12 year old wouldn't know these characters as well as someone who actually grew up with these characters, secondly vega is no ninja. Definitely not more than sub or scorp. Hes a pretty boy right hand man who tends to get his ass kicked most of the time. Dude I'm half spanish and dont know any spanish fighters who fight like Vega lol....

Yeah disagree, animations dont define a personality. That's just an animation. Hanzo and kuai Liang actually have interesting backstories. What backstory about vega is so deep? Lol flamboyant fighter from spain, needs a mask to hide his pretty face and bison thug? Lol

Ken and Ryu were trained by the same master so it makes sense for them to have similar fighting styles, Outfits etc one has the serious, focus mentality while the other has that cocky Cage mentality but can be serious when he has to.
You missed my entire point dude, lmao.

MKF30

One of the biggest reasons MK is popular is because of the story and developed, badass characters. Of course you'll always have poster boys for a franchise. Smash it's Mario 1st before anyone. MK it's obviously Scorpion and Sub-Zero. SF, Ryu and Ken. DOA, suki or kiwi or whatever that chick with the boobs name is lol. Etc, etc lol

You missed my entire point dude, lmao.
I got your point, not sure you got mine lol :D

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
...yall care about the story in fighting games?
I long for the day when all fighters will release with flat and undetailed polygon models to prevent all the distraction of things like character personality and story. I'd preorder a game just to play as generic polygon fighter #5!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I long for the day when all fighters will release with flat and undetailed polygon models to prevent all the distraction of things like character personality and story. I'd preorder a game just to play as generic polygon fighter #5!
Or, as they said about Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite not including X-Men, the characters are just "functions."

xKMMx

Banned
Killer Instinct would be a great fit if MK11 was like MKX. MKX was over the top and crazy like the Killer Instinct games were. KI characters would probably think MK 11 characters are a bunch of soft ass weiners lol.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I mean i already said that's not what I meant

I just meant that, for example, if MK11 launched with just training mode and a PvP I'd still like it. I barely touch shit like towers and story mode. I dont have a problem with those but most competitive
FG players i talk to never seemed to care about that stuff. I thought (wrongly? idk) most people here on TYM were like that, especially since i don't think ive ever seen anyone discuss single player stuff in my time here.

But yeah not tryna turn Scorpion into a stick figure if thats what you think

Radam

Noob
You've honestly gotta have your head straight up your ass if you can't see how a Street Fighter character would work in Mortal Kombat.

For one they'd look way better than any other Street Fighter game they've ever been in. Gameplay wise it wouldn't matter MK inputs would work just fine.

I'd love to see Akuma, M Bison, Blanka or Vega in MK as a DLC character.

MKF30

Can't imagine Ryu's big foots and Skarlet's foots at the same screen.
That would be like a real life person fighting a cartoon character. lol I'm thinking something along the lines of Roger Rabbit lol

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Street Fighter is more like some dudes fighting just for training and power. They're not brutal people, like Mortal Kombat fighters. If you want brutal characters, try fighters that ACTUALLY kill. KI, DarkStalkers, or Jojo would suffice. Heck, why not? Try even Baki guys.

xiskza

Underworld
Hell yeah, plus Scorp and Sub are way more badass than those guys lol. Shao Kahn is a much better villain than anyone in SF and he's not even my favorite MK character lol. Vega? lol you mean pretty boy that shields his face cause he's so vain(like more vain than Cage) jumps around making squeaky noises? lol Cody is cool, but technically he's not a SF character. He's from FF series, talking just SF characters honestly.
Vega aint vain or beauty obsessed "just cause"... he's obsessed with beauty because his own mother, who was a very beautiful woman, was murdered by his ugly stepfather. Beauty came to represent heroism and ugliness represents cowardice. He definitely has some sort of PTSD due to this traumatic event which triggers his hatred for anything ugly.

As for the story, MK just keeps rebooting the timeline and doing the same shit. Its tiring. SF isnt better (story was never their focus, but gameplay), but MK has definitely dropped the ball with MKX and MK11. No fighting game will ever have a better story the the original MK timeline though - although I'll give the Orochi saga in KOF some props.

Last edited:

xiskza

Underworld
For one they'd look way better than any other Street Fighter game they've ever been in.
Yeah.... no. MK has issues with female faces, and lets not even mention the janky animations. It's getting better, but far from ever touching the best looking SF game.

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
After playing some DMC today it hit me that Dante or Vergil would be awesome MK guests but then I remembered this thread...I wonder if Capcom is against any of their characters being in MK.

And after thinking about it even more...Akuma not only transitioned into a different art style very well (Tekken 7) but IIRC the guy is a confirmed murderer. I know he doesn't go around killing people like a slasher villain or anything but still, the guy has killed before. I think he was originally intended to have killed even more but they keep retconning the people he has killed or wrote around it like with Bison body clones of Gill being Jesus lol

Like I get it, they don't want to see brains, hearts and other intestines of their characters but I feel like Akuma specifically would be ok in MK, plus characters from DMC or Resident Evil since they have a tendency to be pretty violent especially RE.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Rationalize it all you want guys. Truth is Capcom and their customers in Asia arent interested in hyper gore gimmick, the only thing that built MK. They’d rather build their game on actually a good fighting game/ not a movie. Lately, nrs arent very good at that lul

Im sure literally everyone but Magicman agrees